• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Heavenly Scriptures:A Pit Q&A thread!

zFlashyStyle

Smash Apprentice
NNID
T-Type
Oh ok ill do dat~And also wuts the best way to be fast with pit wut moves should i use the most?

Kuro~

Nitoryu Kuro
Hmmm maybe a "How do you punish this?" series for some newer players finding the frame true punishes on usual hard to deal with moves.

OH

and u should make a vid giong through all the moves that WoI OoS can cancel since me and luckay haven't got to it yet.

So good to know.

I haven't been shield poked by a peach downsmash since :bee:

dettadeus

Smash Lord
Reposting since nobody answered on the last page. :T
Decided to try out Pit after playing Uprising for a couple weeks. :p
Read through the guides, just a couple questions left.
1. What should I be momentum cancelling with? By the looks of the frame data I would have to say U-Air, but I'm not sure.
2. Should Jab1 or Jab2 be cancelled when jab cancelling? Or does it matter?

HariKyuubi

Smash Journeyman
Nobody answered my Olimar question either. :p I can't seem to find any vids of the matchup, but maybe I'm just not looking hard enough.

Maharba the Mystic

Smash Master
@hari, go the youtube request thread. look under olimar.

@dett
jab cancel first jab if you are doing jab>other move. cancel the second hit if you are doing jab1>jab2>cancel>jab1>jab2>etc

momentum cancel with dair

Loz8ichimaru

Smash Apprentice
Also, any advice for the DACG? How different is it from a normal dash grab? When I input the c-stick then shield he continues the dash attack, it feels much more difficult than DACUSing with Sheik haha.
DACG is easy to do once you get the muscle memory down, try in training mode or on low level computers, learn the timing and then continue practising inouts. I still mess it up sometimes but it is pretty funny chaingrabbing someone like bowser across FD!

It's generally much better than a dash grab, as DACG keeps many chaingrabs going for longer and obviously a longer chaingrab leads to more % stacking up.

that's an ongoing project. im talking tutorials and stuff
Would like to see some examples of how to approach certain match-ups...

For example Falco - chaingrab to spike, general speed and lasers make the match-up really frustrating, despite being even.

Unsound_Shinobi

Smash Apprentice
DACG is easy to do once you get the muscle memory down, try in training mode or on low level computers, learn the timing and then continue practising inouts. I still mess it up sometimes but it is pretty funny chaingrabbing someone like bowser across FD!

It's generally much better than a dash grab, as DACG keeps many chaingrabs going for longer and obviously a longer chaingrab leads to more % stacking up.

Would like to see some examples of how to approach certain match-ups...

For example Falco - chaingrab to spike, general speed and lasers make the match-up really frustrating, despite being even.
Thank you, I had given up hoping for an answer, I'll keep trying but I always just finish the dash attack :( I feel like it would definitely help since I can only get one additional grab on DK after the f-throw.

Maharba the Mystic

Smash Master
@Loz8chimaru

good idea! ill do an MU basic tutorial for every character i know. good ****ing idea dude.

@shinobi

for the DK cg, you have to stail it before you start DACG, which means you need to do 4 small step regrabs (the most you can small step him is 4 so that's why i only say 4) and then do DACG

Unsound_Shinobi

Smash Apprentice
@Loz8chimaru

good idea! ill do an MU basic tutorial for every character i know. good ****ing idea dude.

@shinobi

for the DK cg, you have to stail it before you start DACG, which means you need to do 4 small step regrabs (the most you can small step him is 4 so that's why i only say 4) and then do DACG
Is the input for the DACG timing the same as for the DACUS? Because when I shield at the attack I just do a shield slide, and if I shield slightly after then I finish the attack.

Maharba the Mystic

Smash Master
what ever happened to us trying to continue the metagame? what happened to stage discussions? what happened to innovative ideas? what happened to other people testing ****? why the hell are we so dead? this board was shining with growth at one point. what happened to our light? ****ing A people we need to keep finishing up **** like that. you know why? not because tech skill is more important than understanding the game and it's not because knowing certain stage skills and tactics are more important than understanding how an opponent works. it's because when you finally do understand this game and how an opponent works, you will have more options than they can ever because you know more options in the actual game allowing you to be the player with the most options possible. so someone bump an older unfinished thread that needs work and lets get back to it guys. we have become so lazy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Kuro~

Nitoryu Kuro
I'm ready to continue mu discussions. I'll begin working on write-ups at home when i'm w/o internet. Once i'm all caught up on write-ups i'll make a new thread.

Invisi

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3411-2321-4441
anyone have any video recommendations for learning some key points in the Pit vs Fox, Falco and Marth MU?
I am also in need of Falco matchup help. I tried switching to ICs but that just went worse, so I guess I'll just learn the Pit matchup (unless, maybe Jiggs...)

Maharba the Mystic

Smash Master
if you play regularly then pit is even with fox and falco bro. if you do the perfect planking then it's +1 pit's favor for both. marth is a *****. however i don't know any vids of these MUs at high level play off the top of my head. have yall checked the youtube video thread?

Invisi

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3411-2321-4441
I know that WoI has amazing fastfall properties, so I feel it could be a good vertical momentum canceller. However, it does have a short startup time in which it seems that your vertical momentum is less controllable than when not in WoI, so I'm not sure if these few frames could actually end up KOing you when you might have survived.

Basically, my question is if/when WoI is a viable/useful vertical momentum cancel.

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
I really can't answer some of that, but I can say I'd rather not use it since if you get hit outta it and knocked off stage, you're finished. Just stick to the fastfalling airdodging if you need to.

Invisi

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3411-2321-4441
Maybe it's a little risky, but I really don't think it's significant. Whenever I do it I manage to land fine. Pit's mobility, especially downwards, usually makes it easy to divebomb and land on the stage. Dair is also good if they're trying to catch you. Also you can divebomb to the side, then rise again to the ledge.

If it does have good momentum cancelling properties, then I think it's definitely worth the risk to WoI. But whether these momentum cancelling properties exist is my question.

Gadiel_VaStar

Smash Champion
NNID
GadielVaStar
if you play regularly then pit is even with fox and falco bro. if you do the perfect planking then it's +1 pit's favor for both. marth is a *****. however i don't know any vids of these MUs at high level play off the top of my head. have yall checked the youtube video thread?
There's plenty of high level Earth Pit vs Fox/Falco and Masashi vs Falco matches on youtube. Marth is different. I only know one Earth vs Marth video. And I wish I got some up from my last tournament match with Player 3.

Sully

Smash Cadet
Is there an easy way to control arrows? And when you use the Mirror Shield, when do you pull it out to turn the person around?

Invisi

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3411-2321-4441
Controlling arrows? Practice. Lots of practice. After a while, it actually feels quite natural. As for the mirror shield, the reflective properties are in the first few frames, so you want to pull it out just before the move hits you. The timing isn't too hard to get down. If you want to learn it, I suggest practising on a CPU Fox, since he's quite predictable.

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
DK, Link, and Ike makes easier Mirror Shielding targets. Be sure to know how each of those characters can recover, their options, and time the Mirror Shield when given opportunity. Just remember it works on some characters, and studying which ones to do it on and the timing is the test.

ViperGold42

Smash Lord
here's MY question.....what's the point of arrow looping, (mindgames aside) is there a real point to use it? I mean throwing out 2 arrows and having them hit your opponent from behind is nice and all but don't you think they will be expecting that? Not even our best player in Koolaid uses arrow looping much. its a flashy technique but its not very uselful in Tournament play because your opponent is going to be in your face if they are MK which is most likely the case.

Maharba the Mystic

Smash Master
i only loop when they can't expect it or it makes my next action unpunishable. of course i hide my loops by doing it offscreen. i only use it when i know they are gonna be close. if they touch my shield when i have an arrow where coming from where they don't expect it than i get a free anything. or when camping requires it (i.e. going around and hitting falco in the back when he kicks his reflector). however i go whole games without doing it as it only comes in handy in niche situations anymore. still it's good to have it when you can abuse it (offstage a read with an arrow loop should either take a stock by itself or lead into you taking a stock)

Top Bottom