• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Heavenly Scriptures:A Pit Q&A thread!

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
i mean does no one know the matchups?
this is why i hate the way smashboards has they're forums set up.

if you know how to fight a character, you should be able to make a thread and share your knowledge at any time. not wait 12 months for the omg official character matchup thread.

maybe the reason no one plays pit is because there's no info on how to play him lol

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
where?

okay, if you're opponent is standing in front of you with his shield up, and he's pretty close, but outside of your abysmal grab range, what do you do?

does it depend on the character? is there a general good option. do you walk forward and grab? probably not because they'll react to your movement. Nair past their shield? retreating dair? d-smash and hope for a shield poke?
i'm sure there's a few good options.
like what is your gut reaction to this kind of situation.

Gadiel_VaStar

Smash Champion
NNID
GadielVaStar
where?

okay, if you're opponent is standing in front of you with his shield up, and he's pretty close, but outside of your abysmal grab range, what do you do?

does it depend on the character? is there a general good option. do you walk forward and grab? probably not because they'll react to your movement. Nair past their shield? retreating dair? d-smash and hope for a shield poke?
i'm sure there's a few good options.
like what is your gut reaction to this kind of situation.
http://allisbrawl.com/group.aspx?id=9800

You would have to send a request, and ask admiral to join the group.

If opponent is close, arrow is not good, even run away pivot if they chase after you. It's good to pressure opponents, maybe with side-b, maybe infinite jab or jab cancels, maybe a spaced d-tilt.

All of those things are safe except maybe nair and dsmash.

It also depends on the character, I wouldn't try rushing DDD with any of those moves except a full hopped spaced dair.

I know you're trying to get better with Pit, and some of it is just playing and finding what works best for you. Pit can be played in many ways--it's just what you're comfortable with.

Maybe if I can make it to an AL tournament, I can help you more..

Loz8ichimaru

Smash Apprentice
Just wanted to ask how staling of moves works with moves that have multiple hit boxes or sweet spots and sour spots?

Eg. If I hit someone with Pits B-air (sour spot) will in diminish the power of his B-air (sweet spot) ?

Or if I hit with say the first hit only of Upsmash or F-smash, will it diminish the power of either move if used again and all hits connect?

BOrookie

Smash Cadet
Hi, I'm new here (as clearly stated by post count :p) and I had a quick question. I use the GCN controller when playing, with tap jump on. This is useful for wingdashing (very much in fact) but impedes on my ability to arrow loop. So my question is : should I try to learn wingdashing with a button jump rather than tap jump? This being so that I can arrow loop better (aka not jump off the stage). Any response is greatly appreciated!

:phone:

Maharba the Mystic

Smash Master
first off, tap jump off tends to be better for buffering certain things later on when you are more advanced, however it makes some out of shield stuff easier so it's up to you wats more important. second off, try to do your best NOT to arrow loop in game unless you really feel like that loop is gonna come with a lot more reward (like a gimp or a grab or a fsmash) than just spamming arrows would (looking cool but only getting 5 damage from a fancy loop is not worth losing the 15+ damage in spammed arrows which 9/10 times is gonna be the smartest option).

don't you dare start planking until you've thoroughly learned your onstage game. planking can get you far at first, but afterwords you'll be trying to catch up to the onstage game and it's a lot harder to do after you're used to planking your way to victory (i currently am the epitome of this problem, so please take it from me, stay onstage until you start doing well in tournies, then start adding in planking as well).

third off,
WELCOME TO THE PIT BOARDS!

BOrookie

Smash Cadet

SO...MUCH...INFORMATION. . .SELF-DESTRUCT IN-3-2-... lol thanks, this is greatly appreciated and I'll start making my way though this today (very, VERY, slowly).

Kuro~

Nitoryu Kuro
Which sliding upsmash?

IF you mean maha's 2scjcus then ya i can help.

If you mean hyphen upsmash i'm confused why you'd need help

If you mean something else, idk bro.

Kuro~

Nitoryu Kuro
Anyone know the proper way(aka proper directional inputs) to SDI lucario's dair? Ik there's a way to do it to get out near everytime.

DeLux

Player that used to be Lux
What are pits aerial frame traps off of an opponent air dodge?

Kuro~

Nitoryu Kuro
Ik pit can punish someone who airdodges his fair with a fair and same for bair.

Everytime someones airdodged my upair if i'm facing the right away i've been able to dair or bair depending on where they move.

Most of his frame traps are from punishing landings as all his moves can auto cancel. SHAC upair is one of the best landing traps.

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
If you read their trajectory, you can upair or fair, and then punish the airdodge with pretty much anything depending on where you are. easy option select at kill percents, d-throw follow their DI with upair. if they dont airdoge they eat upair, if they do, you bair and kill them.

also bair last long enough to tap them with the sourspot after the airdodge :)

Sorto

Smash Journeyman
What is pits frame advantage/disadvantage when he hits someones sheild with his glide attack (assuming it is done to maximize frame advantage)?

:phone:

Kuro~

Nitoryu Kuro
i believe he has 4 frames of landing lag.It might be 2 frames. Dunno.

so he'd be +3 or +5 respectively. on shield.

Maharba the Mystic

Smash Master
wrong. glide attack can be shield grabbed. the only way to make that not happen is to hit with the tip at the same moment you cancel it and pray you can get out jab infinite before they grab you

Kuro~

Nitoryu Kuro
wrong. glide attack can be shield grabbed. the only way to make that not happen is to hit with the tip at the same moment you cancel it and pray you can get out jab infinite before they grab you
Uh no. i'm pretty sure on this. And no. WHy would u do a ~13 frame move set up. Just woi. It has invincibility on frames 1-5 so it beats on grab on glide attack if you do the most optimal one frame wise.

Edit: I'm an advocate of having the glide attack ZOOM past them instead however. Much much less punishable on a whole scale level.

Sorto

Smash Journeyman
I am hearing varying responses on the frame advantage of glide attack on shield. Anyone have frame data or proof?

Kuro~

Nitoryu Kuro
I mean...my source is TKD...but i guess i can ask delux on skype when he's on. Cuz you also have to calculate in shield stun, etc.

Also, grab is not advantage on shield maha. Grab bypasses shield drop which is the whole point of calculating advantage on shield.

Luckay4Lyphe

Smash Master
It's still good to learn frame data Maharba. You should do some research on it, it will make you a better Pit. Knowing about what you can actually do > practicing random mix ups that MIGHT work.

Maharba the Mystic

Smash Master
i know my frame data, but glide attacking shield is never safe. the only thing i don't get is when he says it "bypasses shield stun". what does that even mean? i mean i know like what is or isn't positive on shield (like arrow loop is positive on shield, falco's silent lazer is positive on shield, etc) but i don't get how what he said makes glide attack any safer on shield. i don't get what he's saying. if it's not safe, it's not safe. i don't get what other point there is to be made :(

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
its hard to believe that you can glide attack someone close to the ground and not get punished, if not for the mere fact that Pit has no moves fast enough to cancel into (besides up-b of course, and maybe uptilt, but you're going to have to be really close for that.)

Kuro~

Nitoryu Kuro
Does anyone know the specifics of pit's backthrow chaingrab against the wall?Iirc it goes higher than fthrow does. Is it better than fthrow against the wall?

I've been trying to find a thread or video for like an hour =.=

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
Well, the way I do things with B-throw is try to lure an enemy between the walls of PS1's rock field, BUT the enemy has to not only be at 0%, but to be dumb enough to be lured there.
Depending on the character and their weight/floatiness, you can B-throw them over and over to a fair % (timing is a bit different depending on weight too), but if you dont think they won't "bounce" off the wall by having too much damage (or trying to escape by trying to DI upwards), quickly finish it off with a U-smash. I'd say you can deliver 60% damage on average. I wouldnt be sure on exact %, so use your judgment.

Top Bottom