• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Heavenly Scriptures:A Pit Q&A thread!

ViperGold42

Smash Lord
i only loop when they can't expect it or it makes my next action unpunishable. of course i hide my loops by doing it offscreen. i only use it when i know they are gonna be close. if they touch my shield when i have an arrow where coming from where they don't expect it than i get a free anything. or when camping requires it (i.e. going around and hitting falco in the back when he kicks his reflector). however i go whole games without doing it as it only comes in handy in niche situations anymore. still it's good to have it when you can abuse it (offstage a read with an arrow loop should either take a stock by itself or lead into you taking a stock)
you can only do so much.

Invisi

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3411-2321-4441
I'd say arrow looping's main use is when you wouldn't be able to hit without looping the arrow. This often happens on stages like Pokemon Stadium, where you and your opponent are separated by terrain, but with some skillful looping, you can still hit them with a few arrows. It can also happen when your opponent is at an annoying angle (usually diagonally above you), such that you simply can't hit them without looping an arrow. In such a situation, by the time the arrow loops back around, there's a good chance that they will have moved in close enough for you to be able to follow up the arrow with a free punish (ftilt being my most common choice).

ViperGold42

Smash Lord
I'd say arrow looping's main use is when you wouldn't be able to hit without looping the arrow. This often happens on stages like Pokemon Stadium, where you and your opponent are separated by terrain, but with some skillful looping, you can still hit them with a few arrows. It can also happen when your opponent is at an annoying angle (usually diagonally above you), such that you simply can't hit them without looping an arrow. In such a situation, by the time the arrow loops back around, there's a good chance that they will have moved in close enough for you to be able to follow up the arrow with a free punish (ftilt being my most common choice).
well in that kind of situation, they will know you're going to loop them. being separated gives them time to think and dodge those arrows. but those angles usually work.

Invisi

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3411-2321-4441
In a situation like Pokemon Staduim, your opponent does have time to think, but not to dodge the arrows. Because the arrows are offscreen, if you can control them, you have the upper hand. Unless you're against someone like fox who can just sit there with a reflector on, they do not have time to react to your arrows once they come in view. Their best option is probably just to spam spot dodge, or try to anticipate the arrow and shield it (which is actually quite hard when it's offscreen). In either case, you'll often get one or two arrows in before the stage transforms again.

ViperGold42

Smash Lord
In a situation like Pokemon Staduim, your opponent does have time to think, but not to dodge the arrows. Because the arrows are offscreen, if you can control them, you have the upper hand. Unless you're against someone like fox who can just sit there with a reflector on, they do not have time to react to your arrows once they come in view. Their best option is probably just to spam spot dodge, or try to anticipate the arrow and shield it (which is actually quite hard when it's offscreen). In either case, you'll often get one or two arrows in before the stage transforms again.
but why would you want to take anyone to PS? like you if you take Snake or Tink there you'll get outcamped. you can't take ANYONE there. you have to take the characters that have terrible camping games.

Kuro~

Nitoryu Kuro
I use looping constantly. You assume you have to finish the loop. You can easily just drop it and react. I can't count how many times i've baited aggression by feigning a loop. There's a ton of uses to looping you just have to know how to pick out the instances.

I also use looping when hit vertically. I loop an arrow down and under to mess up chasing attempts/ tack on an extra 3-4 %. Seems not worth the effort but if you think so i call that having a bad mindset.

I also use looping while on the edge. Shooting an arrow and then looping it back around while invincible to help you get off the ledge and back onstage is extremely useful.

ZTD | TECHnology

Developing New TECHnology
I understand that controlling arrows takes practice. And I'm starting to get good at it.

I just want to know:

How do you guys practice arrow accuracy. Any specific regimens or anything? Tonight confirmed that my :pit: needs to be used seriously now. Trying to gain more control over him so I'm proficient in everything I do.

Side note: I'm beginning to fall in love with WoI sheningans.

:yeahboi:

Maharba the Mystic

Smash Master
the most useful loop is firing it upwards and bringing it back from either side to go through you. when you can do that you can memorize any angle you need. i can link you some example's if you like.

for training in general

make a big flat stage with blocks on the whole bottom row, and make a platform in the top right corner. have the com be pit and control it. use wing refresh and your jumps and wings again to get him up there and put it in stop. from there mess with the arrows on a stretched screen and memorize thumb movements for different loops. i used to do this every night and for a months i was 90% loop accurate. but last 6 months i've slouched and now my arrow control isn't what it used to be :(

edit:

wings are broken. i can go on all day about logical in game application for wings since they give you the best aerial mobility there is for 5 seconds (the ability to refresh them is the key to crazy bull****)

ViperGold42

Smash Lord
the most useful loop is firing it upwards and bringing it back from either side to go through you. when you can do that you can memorize any angle you need. i can link you some example's if you like.

for training in general

make a big flat stage with blocks on the whole bottom row, and make a platform in the top right corner. have the com be pit and control it. use wing refresh and your jumps and wings again to get him up there and put it in stop. from there mess with the arrows on a stretched screen and memorize thumb movements for different loops. i used to do this every night and for a months i was 90% loop accurate. but last 6 months i've slouched and now my arrow control isn't what it used to be :(

edit:

wings are broken. i can go on all day about logical in game application for wings since they give you the best aerial mobility there is for 5 seconds (the ability to refresh them is the key to crazy bull****)

yeah even after I've asked what's the point of arrow looping and no one gave me a direct answer but just a opinion on it (no offense) I've found myself looping during matches without even trying and doing better before I dropped the character as my main.

ZTD | TECHnology

Developing New TECHnology

for training in general

edit:

The training stage thing you suggested is pretty cool. I'm gonna work on this for a while and get my arrow until up there. I'm accurate with basic arrow stuff but I was intimidated to try the advanced maneuvers. Thanks!

EDIT: I have to learn how to make it rain arrows from the sky consistently. It's just way too much fun.

Kuro~

Nitoryu Kuro
I understand that controlling arrows takes practice. And I'm starting to get good at it.

I just want to know:

How do you guys practice arrow accuracy. Any specific regimens or anything? Tonight confirmed that my :pit: needs to be used seriously now. Trying to gain more control over him so I'm proficient in everything I do.

Side note: I'm beginning to fall in love with WoI sheningans.

:yeahboi:
Fighting computers.

If you're arrows are missing then you're not ready yet.

That's how i learned to hit at all the odd angles just right.

Kuro~

Nitoryu Kuro
No just 1. And play the match like a regular person. If you're arrows are missing while you're edge guarding or doing your loop setups then you're not ready yet.

Esca

Smash Champion
thanks viper, what about G&W? fill up the bucket or avoid arrows?
Vs ZSS, just make sure you're weary of her dsmash. Controlled arrow spam is your best option in this MU, considering she has to get close to hit you anyway. Just watch for dsmash, bair, side-b at all costs and you'll beat most zss.

VS G@W don't ever fill up the bucket, avoid arrows at all cost. Something I like to do is get the g&w to like 115ish% and dsmash, charge an arrow and wait for their bucket break and give them one arrow mid bucket break. It allows enough time for a gimp. Against G&W don't throw out random smashes he can punish really well, and also try to stay in front/above him.

ViperGold42

Smash Lord
Vs ZSS, just make sure you're weary of her dsmash. Controlled arrow spam is your best option in this MU, considering she has to get close to hit you anyway. Just watch for dsmash, bair, side-b at all costs and you'll beat most zss.

VS G@W don't ever fill up the bucket, avoid arrows at all cost. Something I like to do is get the g&w to like 115ish% and dsmash, charge an arrow and wait for their bucket break and give them one arrow mid bucket break. It allows enough time for a gimp. Against G&W don't throw out random smashes he can punish really well, and also try to stay in front/above him.
Us ZSS players won't use Side-B much due to the lag, and aerial assaults won't work as she thrives in the air. and I've already told him the MU for ZSS since I play both characters.

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
ZSS is a tough one considering priorities and speed, not to mention many follow-ups with some of her attacks. D-Smash, B-air, and Side-B are those to watch for as mentioned before. Also, be wary of those who make good use of armor pieces, and can bait you to using reflectors. If you're good at managing and using items (which a good Pit should be good with items) as well as knowing what the ZSS would do, you'll be covered for the armor piece thing.

G&W is a well-known threat to Pit and should be watch for. As said before, avoid filling the bucket, though there's a way to use it against him, which I prefer to use at his last stock if possible. If you shoot an arrow, G&W has some bucket lag, allowing you to slowly approach him, and shoot another arrow (this should be the G&W's 2nd projectile the bucket has filled), and you can approach again and hopefully land a killing blow if he's at high %. It's fun to do on his last stock, or if you really need a kill. Don't fill the last part of the bucket though since it has much less lag.
You can also do this tactic on a recovering G&W (with empty bucket) who already used his midair jump to make him slowly fall and make him lose a stock if done correctly.

Now, if you do fill the bucket, there's a few things to know besides that strong KO potential it has against you:
1: G&W can't bucket break during this time.
2: You can start abusing arrows more at longer ranges, though some of G&W's move can still take out arrows.

GL though, since G&W is much more annoying.

ViperGold42

Smash Lord
wrong wrong WRONG. if you think ZSS main is going to use Side B a lot against Pit then you must be looking down the bottom of the barrel, and those suit pieces? That's something you should even worry about.

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
Side-B is a kill move. It can pierce through Pit's Side-B, and goes through Mirror Shield if she's too close. It shows effectiveness against a Pit in mid-distance, including if Pit attempts to approach to kill. And playing varying ZSS players is all I need to know to know about Side-B.

luxingo

Smash Journeyman
Is there any point in gimping Mario's UpB with mirror shield (other than flashiness)? It seems like a well-timed edgehog would be much safer and that times when edgehogs won't work are when the Mario could descend further and then UpB to the ledge.

Invisi

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3411-2321-4441
What about Marth's dolphin slash - is there any practical use for mirror shielding it?
An edgehog against Marth is usually safer. The only practically useful gimp of a Marth UpB would have to be done offstage. It's possible to do it from onstage, but only if the UpB is sloppy (so it won't work against a good Marth). An offstage mirror gimp is very risky against quick UpBs, and an edgehog does the same job while being safer. Even if he lands onstage, he has so much landing lag that you can punish with a quick fair/bair

luxingo

Smash Journeyman
With Mario's cape, the caped person has his controls reversed for a short period of time. Does the same thing happen with the mirror shield, and if so, do you know how long it is?

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
They seem relatively the same to me, except that it needs to be activated when Mirror Shield is physically attacked at the right time. This is easily noticeable when you Mirror Shield a MK recovering head on with the Nado at full speed, and of course, can be used to gimp certain opponents.

Jei Jei

Smash Champion
NNID
Jei_Soul
3DS FC
1564-4103-8935
So I looked for it here and I can't find it and I can't for the life of me perform it so I might as well ask..

How do I pivot arrow? I mean what is the button sequence?

:phone:

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
Be in dash animation, press B, and quickly change direction with the joystick

Example:

-Dashing Left <---
-Quickly press B and flick the joystick right ---> within a slip second.

You can even do it without running, or even in the air. The way to notice is that Pit turns around quickly compared to when he's turning around to shoot an arrow the regular way. You can try it out in the practice.

Jei Jei

Smash Champion
NNID
Jei_Soul
3DS FC
1564-4103-8935
Yeah that's what I'm doing but all Pit does is either charge arrow then turn around or just his slow turn around animation out of dash, no arrow. Obviously I'm doing it wrong but at least I have the right idea I guess.
Thanks man, I'll just keep practicing lol.
I can do it in the air easily and from standing stance just never from the dash animation.

:phone:

Top Bottom