• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The GtaN Brawl General discussion thread! -Wait, did the title change?

infiniteV115

Smash Hero
I'd like to see a tournament/smashfest use the same type of seeding/matching-up of players as chess tournaments. I think it's called swiss seeding...or something. Basically in the first round, people get seeded by...I guess PR or maybe pools' seedings or something. Or maybe you could make it totally random, doesn't really matter. From then on, you're seeded against players with the same win:loss ratio as you.

So for example, if 3 rounds have passed and I had 2 wins and 1 loss, in my 4th round I'd face someone else with 2 wins and 1 loss.

infiniteV115

Smash Hero
For all you people that don't like the Unity Ruleset (lol I know a lot of people in this community don't)
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=317778

Based on what I can gather from the OP and AlphaZealot's post, the rule that says that only tournaments that run the Unity Ruleset can get stickied is going to be removed.
Meaning non-Unity tournies will be eligible for stickies as well.

Hurray for equality!

LooftWaffles

Smash Journeyman
I'd like to see a tournament/smashfest use the same type of seeding/matching-up of players as chess tournaments. I think it's called swiss seeding...or something. Basically in the first round, people get seeded by...I guess PR or maybe pools' seedings or something. Or maybe you could make it totally random, doesn't really matter. From then on, you're seeded against players with the same win:loss ratio as you.

So for example, if 3 rounds have passed and I had 2 wins and 1 loss, in my 4th round I'd face someone else with 2 wins and 1 loss.

Good idea, chess tournaments are great when it comes to determining seeding by the end of it. It all comes down to whether you prefer straight brackets or not.

Also, the seeding is totally random. Win round 1, play someone who won round 1 in round 2. Same with draws and losses. From personal experience playing chess though, elo rankings help settle disputes when you have odd numbers. Not sure how that would work in smash though. I think if you put some time into developing this at tournies you could replace pools and maybe be left with a small bracket at the end. In order to win a tourney i think you should have to win some sort of grand finals though.

Bing

Smash Master

I could see people sandbagging for this.... I really could...

I mean a really good player takes 3/4th seed. ***** his way all the way up :S

Toronto Joe

Smash Master
for all you people that don't like the unity ruleset (lol i know a lot of people in this community don't)
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=317778

based on what i can gather from the op and alphazealot's post, the rule that says that only tournaments that run the unity ruleset can get stickied is going to be removed.
Meaning non-unity tournies will be eligible for stickies as well.

hurray for equality!
**** yes we did it

infiniteV115

Smash Hero
Monkey, monkey, chew the butter
See my buttocks that is better
Batter, bah-tu-ta
Bah-tu-ta, monkey, monkey
Look, there is a gerbil! I'm going up and down
60 minutes where are you? Here's an exposé for you!
Fifty dolla! Fididila! Fididila!

pidgezero_one

((((((((((( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) gotta go fast!
NNID
pidgezero_one
3DS FC
3222-5601-4071
Small smashfest at my house tomorrow in the evening. I have 2 tvs (3 if you don't mind horrendous lag) so far it's me and supreme dirt. PM me if u wanna go and ill give you address/directions

:phone:

Jotora

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Jotora

Hi, everyone.

I was wondering what sort of Smash Bros. (Brawl) groups/clubs/societies exist and meet frequently in Toronto. A long time casual Smasher since the original, I very recently got back into Brawl after having not played for well over a year, and my intention is to not only become as good as I was when I stopped, but better by furthering my repertoire through incorporation of some of the more advanced techniques I previously ignored or was unaware of.

Besides being very rusty, the major roadblock for this small endeavor is that I have no one to play/practice with; fighting CPUs can only help so much. I moved to Toronto just last year with my girlfriend, away from my Smash Brothers back in Brampton, so I would love to join and play with a good group of Smashers within the city.

Again, the intention, first and foremost, is to find a good group of players with which to test my skills and improve with. I have no unrealistic aspirations of becoming a world-class porfessional Smasher or anything, although, depending on how things work out--how much time I can put in, how quickly I improve, etc.--I would love to be able to compete in the upcoming IMPULSE later this year.

Thanks.

infiniteV115

Smash Hero
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=307015
Weekly smashfests here, every Wednesday, this venue is about a 2 minute walk from Spadina station. Gotta get there as soon as the place opens to make sure you have TVs available for Brawl, or else people who play other games might end up snagging all the TVs.
Also, usually there are only a couple of Brawlers there, so you might want to check in the thread to see who's coming each Wednesday before you go. Sometimes, nobody shows up.

http://www.facebook.com/#!/events/234739153276359/
There's also a small tournament (probably about 10-15 people will show up, 20 tops) at the same venue. This coming Saturday (in 5 days). I hope this link works.

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=318000
Yet again at the same venue, another tournament. A much bigger one, you can probably expect at least 35 people. There will be people coming from Quebec, including Ally (arguably best in North America, definitely top 5 in North America). March 10th.

This venue (A&C games, the one that's 2 minutes from Spadina station) is where a lot of the tournaments in our region happen. I've been to 9 tournaments so far, and 7 were at this venue.

Jotora

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Jotora
Thanks.

I was aware of the tournaments you listed--which I will unlikely be able to attend, sadly--but not the regular (or semi-regular) Wednesday meet-ups. Wednesdays could definitely work for me, even if only one other person is coming.

So how does it work? Do they have the hardware, or are you expected to bring your console, etc.?

Alternatively, I'm usually free for some serious Brawling most week nights and definitely Fridays and on weekends, if anybody wants to get together. Your place, my place--I'm open to anything. I live in the Avenue & St. Clair area. I suppose I'll need to get to know people first before this offer is taken seriously, but I thought I'd at least throw it out there.

Supreme Dirt

King of the Railway
Wednesday fests are awful if too many people show, just ftr. All about the saturday fests which I can never make it to because work.

Generally I'd say bring your console to A&C, infinite replays/tags in replays are generally nice to have, and none of A&C's consoles are hacked or ever will be.

Jotora

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Jotora
Saturdays would work best for me anyway. What is the attendance normally like on Saturdays? And--I'm assuming no--but is there a fee to use their space to play?

Supreme Dirt

King of the Railway
I have no idea.

I've never been to a Saturday fest for the aforementioned reason.

And venue is $5, first person there gets in free.

Jotora

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Jotora
Interesting.

If attendance were minimal on any given Saturday, I'd offer up my place to save everyone the cash. My apartment isn't too far from A&C. It's not big, but it should be enough to support a good half-dozen Smash Brothers and Sisters including myself.

And, like I said, Fridays and Sundays work really well for me too if I could help create another day of the week people could get together to Smash. Are you working those days as well, Supreme Dirt? ;)

Supreme Dirt

King of the Railway
Well the thing is, I don't really enjoy playing normal Brawl anymore, and I'm somewhat busy working on Brawl-. I mean I could make myself go out to play, but for the most part, bluh. Bus fare could be better used for other things, y'know?

Jotora

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Jotora
Oh, I see. How big is the Brawl scene in the city? (I would imagine fairly large considering the upcoming tournament in June.

Crooked Crow

drank from lakes of sorrow
I'm selling purebred Syrian hamsters for $15 each, they are 4 weeks old. Let me know if you're interested in purchasing one.

I can help with food and seeder, but you will need to provide your own cage. My number is 647 771 84four4. I'd prefer if people texted me.

Supreme Dirt

King of the Railway
I know this is a far shot since my brother only came to a couple smashfests and never went to a tourney, but if anyone's heard anything from Morgan, I need to know immediately. It's a very legit emergency.

Top Bottom