• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Gimp List (Yes, I'm updating it)

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
If no one added it

Fox's general recovery has a pretty updated metagame.

Using shine to stall can be a pretty good mind game..

But using shine to stall and then using your second jump with an fair for hight can be near impossible to read.

F-air recovery should be added to Fox's list.
This thread hasn't been updated since MK learned to KO

Kitamerby

Smash Hero
Lucario should be Mid (Theoretically. Gimping a Lucario is actually quite hard in practice.)

If you consider stalling to be a boon, then Dair does that very well. Lucario's second jump is quite high, and he actually shouldn't have to use it too much because of his awesome sweetspot and his extremely floaty nature. Extremespeed should rarely (if ever) actually need to come out, but if it does, it has monster range, the ability to CURVE it around Mario, and best of all, the Wall Cling, which is applicable in most legal stages.

Judge Judy

Smash Lord
Being floaty and having one aerial that can easily be intercepted by FLUDD doesn't justify putting him in mid. Lucario is just too easy to gimp if you know how to play against his recovery.

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
Lucario should be Mid (Theoretically. Gimping a Lucario is actually quite hard in practice.)

If you consider stalling to be a boon, then Dair does that very well. Lucario's second jump is quite high, and he actually shouldn't have to use it too much because of his awesome sweetspot and his extremely floaty nature. Extremespeed should rarely (if ever) actually need to come out, but if it does, it has monster range, the ability to CURVE it around Mario, and best of all, the Wall Cling, which is applicable in most legal stages.
I think so as well, but I honestly don't know how to edgeguard Lucario aside from ledgehog. If that's our only weapon, I'll have to agree.

Half-Split Soul

Smash Lord
Lucario can be edgeguarded by using Bair and F.L.U.D.D. to push him further away from the ledge and then edgehogging, but that´s pretty much the only way I can come up to actually work. Spiking is also a possibility, but at least I have trouble using it effectively. Lucario also has Dairstalling as a mindgame, but that isn´t too much of a problem.

Matt07

Smash Master
Yea, I just got 2 stocked my G&W. I try to FLUUD him but he'd punish my ending lag :(. Although I fought a 'air-happy' G&W and brought him down to the last stock. I really think it depends on their play-style and I don't really find any use FLUUD'ing a 'ground-based' G&W.

Basically: Ground-based G&W is harder to fight then a Air-based G&W.

Metaknight, Well I have no clue how to fight them, I barely see any on WiFi.

D.mann

Smash Cadet
Yea, I just got 2 stocked my G&W. I try to FLUUD him but he'd punish my ending lag :(. Although I fought a 'air-happy' G&W and brought him down to the last stock. I really think it depends on their play-style and I don't really find any use FLUUD'ing a 'ground-based' G&W.

Basically: Ground-based G&W is harder to fight then a Air-based G&W.

Metaknight, Well I have no clue how to fight them, I barely see any on WiFi.
I agree what you said about G&W, and you should be happy that you havent fought many MK players, its not pretty, mainly the reason is that Mario dosent have that great of recovery and MK is harder to gimp with the cape.

Matt07

Smash Master
Heh, I kinda consider that a bad thing, everyone offline uses Metaknight, and I'll need to learn how to fight them in offline tournaments.

Yea, it's hard to Cape him, but it feels so good when you do it :).

I need to play some matches I barely played over 2 weeks, I'm so bad at the moment :psycho:.

Flayl

Smash Hero
When you say Bowser has a hard time avoiding aerials and say he can sometimes stop them with firebreath (wtf) where is Bowser located exactly? Off the stage? In the air?

I don't know how relevant these 2 things are but: Bowser will DownB to the ledge if he recovers from above, and if he expects an aerial he will time a fortress (which has invincibility frames), or like you mentioned, try to be in an angle where he can klaw him.

BoTastic!

Smash Master
NNID
BoScotty
Nevertheless, Bowser isn't hard to gimp do to Mario's offstage skills.

Besides, do you know how long since this thread has been updated?

Judge Judy

Smash Lord
When you say Bowser has a hard time avoiding aerials and say he can sometimes stop them with firebreath (wtf) where is Bowser located exactly? Off the stage? In the air?

I don't know how relevant these 2 things are but: Bowser will DownB to the ledge if he recovers from above, and if he expects an aerial he will time a fortress (which has invincibility frames), or like you mentioned, try to be in an angle where he can klaw him.
FLUDD and cape **** Bowser's recovery and Bowser isn't that hard to edgeuard with aerials as long as you're careful of his klaw. You can do the things you mentioned but ultimately Bowser's recovery is at the mercy of Mario.

Half-Split Soul

Smash Lord
When you say Bowser has a hard time avoiding aerials and say he can sometimes stop them with firebreath (wtf) where is Bowser located exactly? Off the stage? In the air?.
If Bowser is coming from up-right or up-left direction he can protect himself well with FB. Othervice he has trouble dodging aerials because his recovery doesn´t lift him much, so airdodge = death if used recklessly.

I don't know how relevant these 2 things are but: Bowser will DownB to the ledge if he recovers from above
Not necessary, FF airdodge or dair are also viable options. Down-b only works as surprise, otherwise it´s going to get shielded/airdodged into a smashattack. If Bowser spams it he´ll die in no time.

I´m in a hurry now, may post more later.

Flayl

Smash Hero
No, you did not understand, he is going to Bowser Bomb the LEDGE -> unpunishable. Anyway I think it's pretty amusing you're telling a Bowser mainer how he recovers.

Half-Split Soul

Smash Lord
No, you did not understand, he is going to Bowser Bomb the LEDGE -> unpunishable. Anyway I think it's pretty amusing you're telling a Bowser mainer how he recovers.
Bowser is one of my better characters too. I believe you´re a lot better with him than me though, so I´m not going to say that I know how he should be played. I´ve just noticed that If I bowser bomb when coming down, even if it´s to the ledge, it´s punished if I use it more often than occasionally. It´s really nowhere near impossible to attack him before he is falling or even while it.

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
How often is Bowser going to be that high above the stage?

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
Quick note:

Ganon and CF both have Uairs that outrange and outprioritize all of Mario's aerials, as well as convering pretty much their entire body. So basically, if you meant no aerial defense as in they can't fight off aerials, you are sorely mistaken.

BoTastic!

Smash Master
NNID
BoScotty
Quick note:

Ganon and CF both have Uairs that outrange and outprioritize all of Mario's aerials, as well as convering pretty much their entire body. So basically, if you meant no aerial defense as in they can't fight off aerials, you are sorely mistaken.
Ike outranges Mario too. But does that make him hard to gimp?

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
No, I just wasn't sure what you meant by aerial defense, thus why I said "So basically, if you meant no aerial defense as in they can't fight off aerials, you are sorely mistaken.".

My mistake.

Also, I just now noticed this reply was in a thread that hadn't been used in almost a month XD

Top Bottom