• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social The Ganonic Grimoire - Kongregation of Kings

Vermanubis

King of Evil
BRoomer
NNID
Vermanubis
3DS FC
1564-2185-4386
Yeah, Evo's a maybe at the moment. A lot of the stress has been coming from trying to get my stuff figured out for an "academic outing" to Deutschland. I'm kinda caught in the crossfire between them shutting down their German program and having already arranged to spend some time over there.

Gonna be trying really hard though.

adom4

Smash Lord
NNID
adom15510
3DS FC
3179-6434-6692
Ok so Ryu feels like a god awful matchup for us.
He's faster, he has a projectile, he hits almost as hard as us & has good range on his important moves.
Seriously this feels like a 7-3 matchup, even with customs.

Blobface

Smash Lord
NNID
everyone1 (Bob)
3DS FC
3454-0482-6740
He's faster, he has a projectile, he hits almost as hard as us & has good range on his important moves.
I'll have to play a Ryu player myself then. I just played against a Ryu CPU to get an idea of what we can do to him and what he can do to us.

Also, Dash Attack fully goes through Shakun... Shakunest... Shakira Hadouken

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Atm I don't think it's that bad for Ganon right now. Ryu has to pick his moments carefully because he's not that safe on block, and Ganon can pressure Ryu's landing pretty well with Flame Choke. Ganon F-tilt is one of few moves that can set up good edgeguards on Ryu for that matter. Even though Ryu has good range, Ganon D-tilt is still really good against Ryu's ground game, and simply shielding against aerials is good enough if Ryu isn't doing them retreating. The most annoying part of this matchup is his Dashgrab is about as good as Captain Falcon's.

Ryu's projectile is not exactly really safe, so he pretty much only is going to use it to cover air approaches.

I'm trying to learn Ryu right now but I'm really bad at handling the character.

Last edited:

Blobface

Smash Lord
NNID
everyone1 (Bob)
3DS FC
3454-0482-6740
I also feel this is a perfectly fine matchup for us. Played a Ryu over on the Ryu boards today and won pretty handily (once he switched to Dedede I started getting clobbered, so I'd say he's overall the better player). I'd almost say it's in our favor, but it's way too early to say something like that, so I'll put it at even for now.

As A2 said, Ryu has a really hard time dealing with our range, and his Hadouken isn't a safe enough projectile to make up for it. A lot of his stuff can be punished, and we have an excellent command grab to deal with Focus Attack mindgames.

One last thing: Shoryuken is a great vertical recovery, but it barely has any horizontal distance. F-tilt can force Ryu into a situation where he has no choice but to die. He either uses his recovery and falls to his death or gets hit by Ganon.

adom4

Smash Lord
NNID
adom15510
3DS FC
3179-6434-6692
Got 3rd place at Mr.R's wifi tournament, lost in winners finals to a Bowser Jr. & in Loser's to a custom DK.
I just wish people focused on the good part of customs instead of a spammy custom DK, it really shouldn't ruin the other custom characters who are cool (like Ganondorf).

Blobface

Smash Lord
NNID
everyone1 (Bob)
3DS FC
3454-0482-6740
Got 3rd place at Mr.R's wifi tournament, lost in winners finals to a Bowser Jr. & in Loser's to a custom DK.
I just wish people focused on the good part of customs instead of a spammy custom DK, it really shouldn't ruin the other custom characters who are cool (like Ganondorf).
Did you ever try to U-air him out of Kong Cyclone? It varies depending on shenanigans, but you can U-air him when caught in Kong Cyclone.

_Magus_

Smash Lord
NNID
DeadlyTaco
3DS FC
1306-7596-5996
Been a long time guys, but I'm back. Need to get my Ganon back in shape for some tourneys coming up, so how about some matches @ A2ZOMG A2ZOMG ? You're still on my friends list if I remember correctly.

Also, moment of silence for flame choke platforms followups. :(

Atm I don't think it's that bad for Ganon right now. Ryu has to pick his moments carefully because he's not that safe on block, and Ganon can pressure Ryu's landing pretty well with Flame Choke. Ganon F-tilt is one of few moves that can set up good edgeguards on Ryu for that matter. Even though Ryu has good range, Ganon D-tilt is still really good against Ryu's ground game, and simply shielding against aerials is good enough if Ryu isn't doing them retreating. The most annoying part of this matchup is his Dashgrab is about as good as Captain Falcon's.

Ryu's projectile is not exactly really safe, so he pretty much only is going to use it to cover air approaches.

I'm trying to learn Ryu right now but I'm really bad at handling the character.
Agreed. D tilt is definitely the safety button against Ryu's ground game. Overall, we have to play a bit of Marth in this matchup. We have to use our superior range to space and keep him out. If he gets in, his followups will hit us hard, as it's no secret Ganondorf is a big target. Also, with his specials, he has a lot of unique ways to limit your options when getting up, so be careful that you mix up your get ups. Normally Ganondorf is amazing at this, but Ryu's new technology is great at it too.

Also, WATCH THAT FOCUS PUNCH!!! Remember that a second hit breaks it. In a non customs match, two d tilts work well for this. In customs, flame chain away.

Last edited:

Xinc

Smash Lord
NNID
xincmars
3DS FC
2981-7601-8481
I don't feel he beats us that way. Ganon can play a pretty good spacing game against Ryu and kept him at bay. Up air launches him into the air, choke and grab are good OoS options for Ganon, as is neutral air, which could swat him away. Forward tilt and down tilt also have insane reach.

_Magus_

Smash Lord
NNID
DeadlyTaco
3DS FC
1306-7596-5996
I don't feel he beats us that way. Ganon can play a pretty good spacing game against Ryu and kept him at bay. Up air launches him into the air, choke and grab are good OoS options for Ganon, as is neutral air, which could swat him away. Forward tilt and down tilt also have insane reach.
Don't forget Dair OOS ;)

Anyone up for some matches at around 9 EST? (That's the upcoming hour lol) I'll be on Wii U. NNID is under my name.

MagiusNecros

Smash Master
Warlock Thrust is the weirdest move ever. Sometimes it does what it does. Sometimes it pops an enemy up a bit like a Dthrow and sometimes it sends them across the stage.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Been a long time guys, but I'm back. Need to get my Ganon back in shape for some tourneys coming up, so how about some matches @ A2ZOMG A2ZOMG ? You're still on my friends list if I remember correctly.
Name when your want to play. According to some people I've evidently gotten noticeably better over time. I have no idea though how this compares to all the people I've traditionally considered better than me.

_Magus_

Smash Lord
NNID
DeadlyTaco
3DS FC
1306-7596-5996
Name when your want to play. According to some people I've evidently gotten noticeably better over time. I have no idea though how this compares to all the people I've traditionally considered better than me.
Funny, Im actually on right now. Care to join me?

_Magus_

Smash Lord
NNID
DeadlyTaco
3DS FC
1306-7596-5996
Now will not work. Maybe 90 minutes from now could, however. I'll keep you posted if you think you will be playing later.
Nah, later won't work. But FG is pretty fun tonight. I reverse warlock punched a link in the face.

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
Ay yo, what it do, fellow kings of evil! I'm a Rosie main here who I also enjoy playing as Ganondorf since the good ol days of Brawl. He's currently one of my secondaries in the game but he's definitely one of my five For Glory mains and I'm pretty...well...somewhat decent with him. Hoping to get better with him someday. And I don't know about y'all but I find him more fun to play as than with Captain Falcon (no offense to any of you Falcon mains here). Anyways, I'm looking forward to chattin' with y'all here.

Bangirasu

Smash Rookie
NNID
Quimet87
3DS FC
4038-6572-1716
I''m very interested in testing Ganondorf. I heard in previous Smash he was by far the worst character with unfavorable matchups against everyone else.

Is this Smash Ganondorf decent?

Tarry

Smash Cadet
NNID
CyrenCE
I''m very interested in testing Ganondorf. I heard in previous Smash he was by far the worst character with unfavorable matchups against everyone else.

Is this Smash Ganondorf decent?
Seeing as how you main Zard, I am pretty sure Ganon will be step up for you even though he is not amazing.

DLA

"Their anguish was my nourishment."
NNID
DLAhhh
Has anyone heard of the Minnesota Ganondorf player Ganon the Beast? He got 7th/250ish (!) at Smash n Splash using all Ganon, and apparently wins most of the Minnesota tournaments he enters. He is absolutely godlike and is probably the best Ganondorf right now.

Ray_Kalm

Smash Master
NNID
Ray_Kalm7
3DS FC
3626-0429-4546
Last edited:

Xinc

Smash Lord
NNID
xincmars
3DS FC
2981-7601-8481
Thanks for words everyone. Need to put some more work in Ganon's harder match-ups. I still believe he has the ability to be viable if used even more appropriately.

There were around 100~ entrants.

Some amazing moments;

http://www.reddit.com/r/smashbros/comments/3al051/ray_****ing_kalm_the_ganon_combo_of_ages/

https://gfycat.com/InsignificantImpartialHound

https://gfycat.com/FavoriteBareDove
I am amazed. I didn't know you could dodge the up smash from Fox after the double jab.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
@ DLA DLA I watched some of Ganon the Beast's gameplay. He has great spacing, especially with B-air and U-smash. Most interestingly, he really likes to use F-smash a lot especially to catch ledge getups. I know I personally don't go for that a lot given I'm too lazy to get consistent with the timing, but watching him play has shown me that it's really good and should be done a lot more, given F-smash's lingering hitbox is great for catching ledge stand's 1 frame of vulnerability and killing people ridiculously early.

I think sometimes he could afford to get more gutsy with D-throw to make reads, however his gameplay is extremely solid.

jmanup85

Smash Journeyman
NNID
jmanup85
3DS FC
1633-4569-8126
Good stuff @ Ray_Kalm Ray_Kalm . Apparently what we need to do is wear business casual clothing to tourneys and we wreck face. You'll see me win CEO and EVO in a fully decked out business suit and then leave to fire some employees lol

Z1GMA

Smash Hero
Can someone link me Kalm's matches and time, please? Embarrass

Last edited:

SleuthMechanism

Smash Ace
NNID
SleuthMechanism
3DS FC
4184-2631-5815
Switch FC
SW-7949-7248-8280
So my BF keeps bugging me about dark fists apparently being OP. I keep trying to explain that it's not but he's insinstant it is. these arguments ar honestly getting a bit ridiculous so it'd be great if you fellow ganon players could maybe help shed some light(NO WAIT, I MEAN, DARKNESS! Sorry, i did not mean to bring light to your lair! OAO") on the issue by providing points about darkfists, evidence of its drawbacks, and several examples of just how punishable it is.(since apparently it needin a hard read does not justify it killing at 60 percent and having armour on startup v.v)

adom4

Smash Lord
NNID
adom15510
3DS FC
3179-6434-6692
So my BF keeps bugging me about dark fists apparently being OP. I keep trying to explain that it's not but he's insinstant it is. these arguments ar honestly getting a bit ridiculous so it'd be great if you fellow ganon players could maybe help shed some light(NO WAIT, I MEAN, DARKNESS! Sorry, i did not mean to bring light to your lair! OAO") on the issue by providing points about darkfists, evidence of its drawbacks, and several examples of just how punishable it is.(since apparently it needin a hard read does not justify it killing at 60 percent and having armour on startup v.v)
It's an Up-B.
seriously, just the fact that it puts Ganon into freefall balances it (and it doesn't auto cancel like dongcopter), also it's a rather slow move at 15 frames startup.
It's an amazing move but nowhere near broken.

Vermanubis

King of Evil
BRoomer
NNID
Vermanubis
3DS FC
1564-2185-4386
Sounds more like you might have a girlfriend on your hands, miss.

Sorry, couldn't resist. No offense intended :p

Last edited:

SleuthMechanism

Smash Ace
NNID
SleuthMechanism
3DS FC
4184-2631-5815
Switch FC
SW-7949-7248-8280
No offense taken, i can appreciate a sick burn when i see it XD

Top Bottom