• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Future of the Poké Center

Spire

III
BRoomer
What would you guys like to see become of the Poké Center? What are your main interests and desires that you would like to see fleshed out? Even smaller things are important. Really, how do you feel about the current setup of the PC (including its modship), compared to your ideal setup? If you are not comfortable posting in this thread, you can certainly PM either Chill or me.

Thank you for your time.

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
Rename Pokemon Research to Poke Project. Really, there no reasearch with Bulbapedia, Smogon, and Serebii.

Rename Reasearcher title to Pokemon Guru or something

HotWings

Smash Ace
I love the mods here in the PC and i wouldnt change 1 thing about them.

Oh and you know that im comfortble with posting here xD

As for the future goes... i wish that the PC would stay the same as it is now because i love yal the way you are. I mean new members would always be nice but other than that i think the PC is great the way it is.

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
Also more community projects. Whatever happened to our Manaphy-based team?

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
Try to limit the number of Stickies.

There are too many.

CRASHiC

Smash Hero
I want a reorganization of the boards really, break it up. We need a board for our projects, and not one where just poke researshers can go. We also need a General Discussion separated from Competitive Discussion, which can be solved by moving the OU Metagame or UU metagame or any such related threads into the ratting room as stickies. This seperation would help promote both non-shoddy discussion as well as typical shoddy discussion, as now I don't have to look through a slew of threads to find my current interest. This split would also be good because there is a minor split amongst the community, naturally, between those who do play Shoddy and those who only play in game, such as Spire and Firus.

Now, what to do with the poke reasercher title after that? I'm unsure. As stated, I want to take the current researcher only section and use it to promote group projects and have everyone post in there. So, unless we had some sort of members only club or something, I'm unsure of what the title shuold be for other than a reward for general helpful behavior on SWF. Personally, I'm fine just having the colour, as I love coloured names, but other than that, I honestly don't know.

This is all jumbled free thinking, so allow me to organize this in a simple format.

1. Diverge the poke center into three separate boards:
Competitive Discussion
General Discussion
Project Discussion
This helps promote all aspects of the board equally, and keeps fads from disrupting the work of other boards (such as a new game being released or a shake up in the metagame like manaphy in OU).

2. Try to find something to do with pokerearcher

3. Change the colour, to something. Even if its only lighting it a little, this colour has to go. Its hideous, has nothing to do with pokemon, and just get rid of it.

Metal~Mario

Smash Lord
^Agreed with CRASHiC.

This place is a little unorganized for my tastes, but other than that, I like this forum just the way it is.

We realllllllly need a new color, too.

Terywj [태리]

Charismatic Maknae~
This is all jumbled free thinking, so allow me to organize this in a simple format.

1. Diverge the poke center into three separate boards:
Competitive Discussion
General Discussion
Project Discussion
This helps promote all aspects of the board equally, and keeps fads from disrupting the work of other boards (such as a new game being released or a shake up in the metagame like manaphy in OU).

2. Try to find something to do with pokerearcher

3. Change the colour, to something. Even if its only lighting it a little, this colour has to go. Its hideous, has nothing to do with pokemon, and just get rid of it.
1. I agree with this, although we should come up with more non-boring names for each. Because we're that awesome.

2. We're going to get on that as soon as the Staff selects a Co-Leader for the Researchers.

3. We're aiming for tomato once a Co-Leader is decided on.

-Terywj

Spire

III
BRoomer
Regarding the co-leader position: there are other concerns among the staff right now, so that is on hold. I will most definitely bring it back up with the data collected from this thread.

Terywj [태리]

Charismatic Maknae~
I know / I'd assume so, but I was bringing it up in order to answer CRASHiC's question. :D

Edit: @UltiMario: I can start some more projects if you need me to.

-Terywj

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
I think we should identify what is wrong with the Poké Center before we try to add shiny new features.

1. Too many stickied threads. Solution: Thread of threads.
2. Too many threads of too many topics. Solution: Sub-forum(s).

Spire, requesting permission to start on #1?

Terywj [태리]

Charismatic Maknae~
The Sprite Thread, Black and White Thread, and Competitive Guide Thread are three I believe we no longer need stickied.

That's just my opinion.

-Terywj

UberMario

Smash Master
We need a thread to talk about made-up pokemon and "unofficial" attacks, abilities, etc. Our 5th Gen thread was pretty close, but that got deleted so . . . .

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
We need a breeding section <.< <~ Is like the best breeder evar. (Next to my girlfriend, who has all characteristics and natures memorized)

Terywj [태리]

Charismatic Maknae~
We need a thread to talk about made-up pokemon and "unofficial" attacks, abilities, etc. Our 5th Gen thread was pretty close, but that got deleted so . . . .
SWF-Dex.

We need a breeding section <.< <~ Is like the best breeder evar. (Next to my girlfriend, who has all characteristics and natures memorized)
The breeding thread is essentially the Trading thread.

-Terywj

Clownbot

Smash Lord
The Sprite Thread, Black and White Thread, and Competitive Guide Thread are three I believe we no longer need stickied.

That's just my opinion.

-Terywj
(I know I don't usually come here D: but) I think that the B/W thread should definitely stay stickied. I don't really look at the Competitive Thread but it'd be nice to see the Sprite thread still stickied. I guess it's not really a necessity, though.

Does the Social Thread really need to be stickied?

Also, Uber, the SWF-Dex sort of qualifies for that, right?

EDIT: Somewhat ninja'd

UberMario

Smash Master
Somewhat, but it's kind of "restricted" to specific amounts of types and specific stats. I'm talking about one where we can make up pokemon and rate originality, etc. without needing to be technical about it.

Terywj [태리]

Charismatic Maknae~
Somewhat, but it's kind of "restricted" to specific amounts of types and specific stats. I'm talking about one where we can make up pokemon and rate originality, etc. without needing to be technical about it.
The SWF-Dex follows neither. JOE! only added the typical type numbers to inform us of over-spamming any certain types, which didn't really happen (except maybe Fire-types, haha) whereas you don't necessarily need to post base stats for each creation either. Most people posted them because it makes sense.

There is nothing wrong with posting a design / artwork / idea for a thought-up Pokemon.

-Terywj

Mewter

Smash Master
I think a thread-linking thread would be a good idea, annoying. :)
That way we could drop the Trading thread, but I'm not really sure what else could be dropped. Could some of that other stuff like tourney threads and the "Guide to Competitive Battling" be moved into a "competitive" section? The Counter Game could be moved there too. The room's a mish-mash of random concept vs battling vs in-game threads. Basically, CiC's idea, which is loads awesome. :)

I still don't think the Pokemon Researcher group should stay around. We don't have any real solid reasons for keeping it right now (imo) but I guess that's up to Spire and whoever gets elected as the co-leader. :\

Tacel

Smash Lord
Is it possible for us to create a forum skin just for the Poké Center?

CRASHiC

Smash Hero
The reason to keep it without a specific task is that it promotes activity. What do tournament organizers do with their colour? Nothing. How easy is it to get? Incredibly easy. The colour should stay wheather or not we find a new direct purpose simply because it helps promote good forum health.

Gates

Banned via Warnings
I was about to say that we should unsticky it. Most social threads aren't stickied because they're active enough to be kept bumped.

Fuelbi

Banned via Warnings
Dont change the color PLEASE! I love how it looks. It has that sophisticated air that makes the researchers look like they actually do stuff (somewhat)

I would like a name change though. It seems like the name really doesnt fit. I dont see what else we can discover when we're a small group compared to Serebii or Smogon. Want an example? The Ditto glitch. The guys over there got to it first. What would probably take us weeks to discover only took em a few days or so. Pokemon Champions or something? I dunno...

Make it more organized and make less stickies for god sakes. About a fourth of the page is full of just stickies. Make more sub sections or something. I was thinking something like general discussion, game mechanics, forum projects, other. Dunno what could go under other though.

Also purge out all tue guys who dont post here. I have noticed a whole mother load of people who havent even been here a day and have already applied for and obtained the title.

Other than that, great job guys, great job.

M.K

Level 55
We need more art contests, you know, after the reviews for the current one, im DYING to draw pokemon for a contest right now.

I like this
I tried a spriting contest and...well it just didn't work because NOBODY cared enough to get their sprites in on time.

@roacherman, the poke researcher current color is SO ugly. I would LOVE to rep poke center, but do you know how hard it is to match an avatar with puke brown??

BTdubs, I ****ing LOVE tomato as a color! Soooooo chic.

Chill

Red
BRoomer
My only concern over splitting the boards discussion is decreasing traffic. If someone cannot easily find a thread they are interested in they'll be less likely to post. Where would discussion of the upcoming Celeb/dog event go? The new moves merit competitive discussion but what about those who just want to discuss the event itself? Do we need two threads? That seems unnecessary.

Let me be clear, I'm not dismissing anyones ideas. These are just my current thoughts.

Chill

Red
BRoomer
We will probably unsticky a few more threads. The amount of stickies bothered me as well. I mentioned it to Spire but I never did anything about it. :p

I'm pleased to see someone else is interested in breeding. I was going to make thread for it but didn't want to be the only one posting in it. XD

Some changes may take some time but you should see others soon. Keep the suggestions coming guys.

Charmander

Smash Champion
NNID
JoeThorpedo
I actually liked the many stickied threads.
It made very important threads easy to access.
IMO The snorlax/houndoom/potato room was the most important thread in the pokecenter and it makes me mad that they unstickied it.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Turn it into a flash mmo where people can customize their pokemon and characters and battling eachother without connecting to Shoddy and watch others battles.

Firus

You know what? I am good.
BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
I actually liked the many stickied threads.
It made very important threads easy to access.
IMO The snorlax/houndoom/potato room was the most important thread in the pokecenter and it makes me mad that they unstickied it.
Social threads aren't exactly important. They may be fun, but not important. Also, to be fair, it is probably the most active thread in the PC at the moment, so it not being stickied isn't a problem as it will likely be one of the top 5 non-stickied threads 90% of the time.

Personally, I think a news thread, à la the Zelda/Mario news threads, would be a good idea. Rather than clogging up the forum with threads about each event, we could have one thread for all of that news, and the title could be edited to indicate new events and game releases for convenience.

If it were stickied, that could cause more clutter with the stickies -- and it would make most sense to sticky it -- but it could help a lot to prevent needless threads every time a new event comes out, or a change in the competitive metagame like Manaphy moving to OU.

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
A news thread, probably posted by an active non-mod member (to maximize the number of people who can edit the title) is a good idea. I'm too lazy to check out Serebii and Bulbanews every day.

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
I'll be glad to create it if the idea has enough support. I visit SmashBoards at least once a day usually, and I check Serebii and such every day typically, so I could update it pretty easily and pretty frequently.

Spire

III
BRoomer
Please create the news thread Firus. It'll be yours, mine, and Chill's duty to check Serebii/Bulbapedia every day to:
a) update the OP
b) update the title
c) post a new post detailing the info

It's not time consuming so it shouldn't be a problem.

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
Alright, thread created. Hopefully this will cut down on unnecessary clutter in the boards.

Chill

Red
BRoomer
I think this one should have been thought out a bit more before it was created. I don't see the point in creating a thread that says "New game names announced as pokemon black and white" when I can clearly see that the new thread is titled pokemon black and white or "new pokemon shown" when I click on the most recent page and they will surely be discussed.

I'm just trying to understand what keeps this thread from becoming redundant. Especially if you won't actually be discussing any of the news in the thread.

Top Bottom