• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Full Smash 64 Learning Curve (MASSIVE UPDATES)

Daedatheus

Smash Lord
nvm lol, just realized if u do up aerial within a certain amount of time after the initial jump, the up button wont count as a jump
Maybe so, but still wrong.

You use c-button to short hop. You tilt the stick up slightly rather than push it all the way up. You press A. Or, hold up right when you press jump. This is how everyone does it, because N64 has joysticks with varying ranges. Of course once you've performed the first move you can hold it all the way up while the move is being performed for subsequent moves, as no jump commands affect your character mid-move.

Superstar

Smash Champion
36 min gap is not accidental Daed. :p But he didn't care even though I answered this:
it doesn't change the fact that you miraculously got from 1 topic to another. there seems to be some sort of defect in your logic and reasoning -_-
I wasn't talking with him, when I brought it up. Look at page 15, bottom. He either was trolling [in double quote], tl;dr and didn't see that part [so he reposted it], or both. Or he's fuming and didn't pay any attention to what I said, which happens very often in these types of things, which is why sometimes I have to do oneliners to get through to people, not doing it here. Also, amusingly, the above Play to win thing is MORE ontopic than buffering utilts, I just thought that. XD

You can uair like a fraction after you start the shorthop. You can also buffer holding up before you jump [most difficult but with most control], or get a control stick. Hell, part of the reason I sucked more once I got the controller is because I experiment with the uair anywhere thing. Starting to fit in though.

chivesontheweb

Smash Cadet
What an interesting thread. However, I can't really tell where exactly I fall exactly. Maybe the very start of Level 4, maybe. I feel like I'm in a weird spot because some of these levels I went through in Melee, then in Brawl. I suppose I got some sort of weird head start, probably why I feel like some of the things didn't exactly apply to me. I bet if the "alternate path" for Yoshi/Samus/Link players mentioned would more accurately describe me. Well, maybe.

SSB64-Jel

Smash Lord
There should be two types of levels here 64 vs online cause online play is diffrent then playing on the 64.

NixxxoN

Smash Master
There should be two types of levels here 64 vs online cause online play is diffrent then playing on the 64.
game is still the same.
Maybe a thing that changes is the progression.... Faster online.

I think there should be one more phase, about mindgaming level. But im not that good so i cant say much.

Superstar

Smash Champion
If we're going by this, I jumped from 5A to 5B since I last checked this. :p

Also, lvl 100 is good because then you can't change your EVs. Use autolevel 100 to get that level. :D

NixxxoN

Smash Master
i think i'm level 5B too, but there are obviously skill differences between the players in this phase.

Blue Yoshi

Smash Master
I believe I'm near the top of 5B. There are 5C people that are much better than me, but if they make mistakes or get frustrated, I can capitalize on their mistakes and win. I have beaten many 5Cs before, including in tournaments.

heres my question.

where does DI come into play in ranking yourself?
Smash DI probably comes at 5C. I'm at the top of 5B and just starting to use smash di. Plus, people at the 5B level are more concerned with mastering a single best combo than learning how to get out of them. 5C begin to develop a better defensive game (smash di, harder to hit, etc.)

Dajayman

Banned via Administration
These descriptions are pretty accurate, but obviously these will vary slightly with different people. Most people I know when they start off only use characters they like and try to stick with them. I personally used Kirby at first because I liked him the most, and I stuck with him most of the time. The OP thinks people choose their character based on their "superior" moveset (they think Kirby's fsmash is godly or something simple like that), which is somewhat true. What eventually steered me away from Kirby at the time was that he was very light and died easily, I experimented with Captain Falcon and Samus but I dropped them because I thought they had a bad roll, which was at the time a big part of my defensive game, and because their recoveries sucked especially compared to Kirby. I picked up Ness after deciding he had a good roll, an excellent recovery with his dj and pk thunder (my friends and I did very basic edgeguarding, so I didn't know he had a terrible recovery and thought it was only about distance). Even now at my level I stick with Ness because he is now my favorite character of the roster and haven't gone back to maining Kirby because he is better than Ness.

I'm at 5a right now definately, I am learning to use advanced techniques and combos very consistantly, I can do them like 75% of the time. I am also experimenting and discovering more combos I can use, for example I am currently experimenting with the walls on Hyrule for excellent combos/killers. It will be a long while before I get to 5b since I don't have online ssb working atm and there are very few ssb64 players who I only see once a month at Brawl tournaments where I bring my N64 and play ssb64 on a free setup. And of these people I play, about 99% of them are well below my level that I end up 4 or 5 stocking. I have played two good people who were around my level so far of the dozens of people I played over the course of months. I found I learn best playing people at or above my level, which unfortunately are hard to find offline.

Dajayman

Banned via Administration
Yes, I've been mostly improving offline. I haven't been able to play online since the beginning of December due to technical problems (my computer is full of viruses and I don't have enough money to buy a new computer or repair the one I have now).

Also I don't remember playing you, we must've played along time ago. I have been dedicating a good amount of my time to improving at all three smash bros games since then.

Red the Ghost

Smash Ace
This is pretty well written. I definitely recognize all of the earlier stages from playing the game for so many years.

I'd figure myself at 5A. Crappy USB controller and lag is preventing me from going further at the moment. x.x
(johns lol)

Rarely have people to play on a console.

Superstar

Smash Champion
indeed it is. Unscrubly scrub.

Can I be 5b please?

I should continue playing Smash, between L4D expert runs and setting up a TF2 scrim team, I haven't played for a wekk.

Top Bottom