• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Fox Video & Critique Thread - READ OP.

Zephil

Smash Ace
sexy matches TJ... I just hope you get a rematch with Ally because I know that you can defeat him! there were some mistakes that were important but in general you fought really well against him...

KRDsonic

Smash Master
Video cretique thread eh?

I'm curious about how my Fox is. I've finally been narrowing down to who I want to get good with in Brawl. Wolf is a definent, and Fox is one of my few possible secondaries (and the secondary I'd most like to have).

All I have of my recent Fox is a friendlies match from yesterday at HOBO 18 against Razer.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ivWUhllhEk

Any tips for improvement? I feel like my Fox is so basic that there's something wrong with it :/

Red Arremer

Smash Legend
First thing I've noticed is that you dash attack too much. Dash attack is like Fox's worst move. It'd been better if you tried SH DAir or NAir to approach instead of dash attack, I suppose.

Otherwise, it looked pretty solid to me, but I'll leave the rest up to people who know Fox better than me. XD

DarkAura

Smash Lord
im not giving a full critique, the other guys can do that but a few things

Uair is much better for momentum cancelling
Moar laser especially against snake
Be more aggressive, and know when to camp.
Use more of fox's move set, mixing your playstyle up like hell

DarkAura

Smash Lord
yeah it's pretty terrible unless your using it from 20-55% even then it's very punishable, use it with caution

like Oni said, your better off with short hopped aerials

Red Arremer

Smash Legend
Yep. It's pretty much his most punishable move. It's like Mario's DTilt, only that it has a little bit of more use.

Legendary Pikachu

Smash Ace
Legendary Pikachu here. Just posting up some vids of my crewmate. He's a fledgling fox learning the ropes.

His tag is Takushin. Here are some vids of him taking what I call "my test."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rBQwpwKeh3Y ~vs. zelda
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=duenHgRNyfc ~ vs. Ike
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EqhaR2-Cbcs ~vs. lucario
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dlJdCvNjWuQ ~vs. pit
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0HasSR4RROI ~vs. G&W
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N0nR2Icqkpw ~vs. Luigi

I appreciate the help. Thanks in advance.

Oh I uploaded a hacked "high quality low quality" youtube vid. ^_^ HOpe you like the quality for fast loading time.

DarkAura

Smash Lord
meh few fairly affective problems

he momentum cancel's incorrectly. Tell him to fast fall a Uair.

He needs to work on his laser game a fair bit, he's shooting his lasers too high. He should either needs to SHDL or perfectly time SHLs

He's really keeping it to Dair, Utilt, Usmash etc... fox's bread and butter which is good but when it comes to a higher level of play it's not good at all. He needs to really mix up his play style every now and then because there were more than a few times he was being very predictable and was punished for it.

wait for the other guy's opinions aswell, im not one to critique

C.R.Z

Smash Lord
meh few fairly affective problems

he momentum cancel's incorrectly. Tell him to fast fall a Uair.

He needs to work on his laser game a fair bit, he's shooting his lasers too high. He should either needs to SHDL or perfectly time SHLs

He's really keeping it to Dair, Utilt, Usmash etc... fox's bread and butter which is good but when it comes to a higher level of play it's not good at all. He needs to really mix up his play style every now and then because there were more than a few times he was being very predictable and was punished for it.

wait for the other guy's opinions aswell, im not one to critique
basically this...

i mean he has a basic understanding on how fox works but he needs to go deeper... i think he ll benifit from learning the core aspects of brawl before he tries to get better specifically with fox
i.e. edge hogging

Legendary Pikachu

Smash Ace
I greatly appreciate the tips. Yea... he's a combist fanatic.... kinda obsessed currently with comboes he's seen other foxes do to the point of forgetting to learn the basics.

I guess I'll have to beat some of that into him. Thanks again everybody.

Zhamy

Smash Champion
The big thing your friend needs to learn is positioning. Not spacing, because that comes later - but positioning is ridiculously important to playing Fox. You basically need to beat the turds out of him until he realizes what ranges to stand at and when it's relatively safe to pressure. Once he's got that down, then move on.

Lightning93

Smash Champion
Aight... so... I been thinking bout that combo vid...

If someone can render the heads for Fox and Pika in the opening scene without it looking like crap, I think I can edit the rest. (OF THE OPENING SCENE.)

Now... we just need the:

FOX BOOOOARDS!!!

C.R.Z

Smash Lord
cloudrain i clicked expecting to see a scrub but i saw a talented player ;D

you know the peach matchup PERFECTLY.

run away and camp basically the WHOLE match, and punish them.

great stuff. work on your offensive stuff a bit more and you should be sound

lol thanks dude, you prob thought i was a scrub because the first vid i posted was terrible and overall im not known by many smasherz <_<

but yeah im quite confident in the peach match up as ive have the best peach player to play against :p
p.s. shes still a F****** B****

Lightning93

Smash Champion
Thats why I say Fox v Falco isn't too bad...

That Fox was very good, but he needed to work on little things like more use of his JJC and momentum-canceling was a big deal. Maybe even learn a lil SHTL, but that's really more for show. :p.

Zhamy

Smash Champion
What the hell happened at 2:00?

By the way, there is one trick of YUI's that I really like, which is SH -> nothing -> Utilt behind shield. It's surprisingly safe and keeps your opponents guessing.

GeneralWoodman

Smash Lord

By the way, there is one trick of YUI's that I really like, which is SH -> nothing -> Utilt behind shield. It's surprisingly safe and keeps your opponents guessing.
a lot of moves can cancel at the ledges peak, i use it with zeldas up b, jiggz sing, pika, and fox
you've probably done it with wolf, its easiest with him

Zhamy

Smash Champion
I figured as much, but it looked like it was intentional. Looked mighty impressive, though.

-Mars-

Smash Hero
I saw Kid or something like that doing phantasm cancels on the edge two times in a row with falco in tournament....it was pretty impressive.

NeverKnowsBest

Monochrome Like A Panda
Lol, does it matter? You see it you see it. Unless you want the link to the video in this thread? It's kind of a Falco vid tho...

And yeah, TJoe, anyone, I can be part of like a team that helps put the combo vid together.
ROFL! I totally read the original post wrong. I thought we were talking about Fox doing illusion cancels.

I guess I never know best.

lzlulzuzluzzluuzzuluzl!!~~!!~!~!~!!

Lightning93

Smash Champion
Luzluzluzluzluzluzluzluz!~!~!~!!~

But yeah, that Falco illusion ledge-cancel thing seemed like a good way to get onstage, he practically landed right on the ground, and was able to lead into a tilt... hmm...

Toronto Joe

Smash Master
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dZny0ToTezM&feature=sub

Best Fox vs Best Falco of Panama... EPIC MATCH!!

very cool...some interesting uses of utilt,kinda scared me when his lead was going to ****s though lol

also another cool little trick neo told me that i cant believe i never though of..use SH airdodges to escape situations that you usually would roll out of,makes you less predictable.....SH airdodge > utilt is pretty good also,i see alot of falcos using it

^^^ amazing

Zhamy

Smash Champion
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BayN8GXr1rw

TO Joe (Fox) v Ray Kalm (Old Manondorf)

Watching these as we speak; Joe better win.

EDIT: JOE YOU'RE A ****** WHY DIDN'T YOU CAMP MORE.

Also lulz @ second match, the kills are ********.

Also, you kept Nair/Fair into his shield (or he just SDIed the Fair). Lastly, DI better. Ray barely used Usmash, you should have DIed up like a mofo.

Top Bottom