• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Fox Interview Topic #11.5 - Uzi [ASK QUESTIONS]

Zhamy

Smash Champion
Smaboner's answering the questions when he has time. I apologize for the delay.

M@v

Subarashii!
Yeah Rookie lives in NY. So does D1(Fox is one of his seconds, but its still pretty good).

Zhamy

Smash Champion
Interview with samboner
----

Name? Sam Boner
Age? 19
Location? H-town (houston tx)

1) How did you get into competitive Smash?
Well, the people I've played online told me I was good and I should go to tournies. So I listened.

2) Link me the vid where you say THIS is my best video/fight ever! (Or, if you don't have one, describe it.)
I guess this one. lol

3) Do you have a good wifi connection that allows wifi play to be bearable?
I have a yellow connection with most people, so yeah. Decent.

4) Why do you play wifi, when you have played offline?
I became good by playing online. So why not?

5) Do you ever feel like quitting wifi because the play will never be the same as offline?
It feels the same to me. =o

6) Why don't you post on the boards?
I guess I'm more of AiB person.

7) What is your favourite approach (attack)?
Fair

8) How do you do in offline tournaments?
I placed 3rd at my first tourney 2 months ago. I havent been to one since. ;o

9) What's your strategy for fighting MK?
Be very offensive.

10) Why Fox?
Well, I used Fox in melee. And the moment I picked him on brawl, I knew he would be my main. I liked all of his moves (Dair, Fair mostly), his speed, recovery, etc.

11) Do you counterpick against Fox's difficult matchups? If so, who?
My 2nd is Luigi, so yes.

12) Do you have a lot of fun each time you play your best Fox buddy Jenkins?
Our matches leave me breathless. ;)

13) What are some things, in your opinion, that make you so successful on wifi?
What?

14) I personally use Fox's speed, and lasers to overwhelm my opponent. However, because of wifi, my Fox is slowed down. How do you compensate for the loss of speed during the lag?
I adjust to the lag, so I dont have that problem. Sorry.

15) How much of your time does Smash take up? Is it a hobby? A love? Just a past time?
I play a set or 2 every other day. It's a hobby ;o

16) How about previous Smash experience? Did you play Melee or 64 competitively?
Nah, just for fun.

17) What do you think about Fox's position on the current tier list?
BS! He's high in Japan....no wonder I'm good. =o

18) If you had to pick a Fox player who's closest to you in skill, who would you choose, and why?
I would say slickrick. I doubt any of you know him. lol

19) How would you characterize your style of Fox play?
Sexy

20) What else do you like to do besides Smash?
Smash (sex)

21) Do you have secondaries? If so, who?
I said this already! Luigi

22) If Fox disappeared from Brawl, who would you main instead?
Luigi!

23) Favorite cuisine?
Fettucini

24) Favorite music?
Alternative

25) Do you play any other games competitively?
Not really, I'm good at SFIV though.

---

This concludes the interview with samboner - short sweet, to the point. If you'd like to contact him, feel free to ask him on his All is Brawl account.

Next up is Moogle.

samboner

Smash Rookie
Nobody on these forums deserves to be in the primary interviews except for those mentioned by Zhamy and me (except Marsulas, I <3 Marsulas). Maybe Samboner if we feel like having somebody to talk about abusing lag and button delay as a crutch for lack of honest talent.
wow, your a ****. lol, i went to sethlons tourney 2 months ago just for this very reason. to prove to haters like you that i dont suck offline. hmm, who did i beat? lets see...not to brag but, i 2 stocked sethlons falco, i beat k prime (very good pika), espy (very good sonic player that places well), gnes, rockettrainer....and yeah. you get the point.

Jenkins

Smash Lord
"Our matches leave me breathless"?

hahahahahahahahaha xD

these are fun. looking forward to the next one!

Toronto Joe

Smash Master
lol the only time sam posts on this board is to defend that he isnt an online doink, its all good tho sam <3

cant wait to ask moogle some 64 questions xD

NeverKnowsBest

Monochrome Like A Panda
^ I did ask questions =D I think to Fox boards are just going through our usually drought of activity =3. Just leave it open till we come out of hibernation. Personally I like these interviews.

Uzima (Uzi)

Smash Lord
I'm as you could say really new to the pro comunity, and as of yet don't know every big name or great smasher.

What is it that makes you worthy to be interviewed, what amazing smash things have you done?

not trying to sound like an ***, but i seriously don't know :p

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
MOOGS! <3 How much do you think your insane smash DI has helped you with the whole "Fox is comboed easily" deal? Is that the key to being a good fox player? I remember one time at my place I used dthrow->upsmash when you were at about only 10% or so and you did some crazy lookin straight horizontal DI and it took you half way across BF way out of reach for more attacks. Teach me your secrets.

Gotham7

Smash Apprentice
How do you overcome Fox's bad match-ups?
Do you use a secondary and if so which?
What are the bread and butter tactics you use with fox?
Any tips for gimping your opponents?

moogle

Smash Ace
I wanna answer these, but I gotta hold off til we're ready, kupo~

I'll share a little anecdote: A couple years ago, I was playing ssb64 online against someone, and he recognized my name and said something to the effect of "Oh, I've seen all your smash 64 videos! They were really good!" After talking with him a little more, I asked where he was from, and he said he was from Peru. I was a bit shocked that I had an international fan... I even told my parents. :grin:

Zephil

Smash Ace
Why Moogle?
Whats your favorite Final Fantasy game?
Age?
What is Fox´s sexiest move? Why? xD
How many hours you play Brawl a week?

ice_cream_man

Smash Journeyman
Is it ever better to do standing lasers? Do you shtl or shdl with a fast fall? When you are getting chaingrabbed by falco or ddd, which attack would you use to come out fastest? Is firefox ever better than illusion when you are above the stage?

Jenkins

Smash Lord
yeah seriously, whats his favorite FF game?

how big of a role does smash play in your life?

any inspirations?

any shout-outs to those who helped you on your smash journey?

Jenkins

Smash Lord
im really looking forward to this.

i love moogle.

he should have my babies.

Zhamy

Smash Champion
Interview with Moogle

Name? Andy Eadon
Age? 25
Location? Huntsville, AL

1) Why main Fox?
I have to say... I started playing Fox in Brawl cause I saw my roommate (coach, on smashboards) spamming uptilt with Fox back in February 2008 when we had the Japanese version. Also, Brawl Fox reminded me of ssb64 Fox, with the dair->uptilt->dair->uptilt->etc possibility. Except it's very escapable in Brawl. >_<

2) How is your style different from the other Foxes around?
I'm not sure. I'm a dair-heavy Fox (which I know the Fox boards doesn't like), but I can recognize when my dairs aren't working for me.... then I switch to nairs or grabs or lasers, until they catch on again. :)

3) Can you beat Samboner on Wi-Fi?
I haven't tried... but I doubt I'd win. I'd accept a challenge from him though, or anyone on the Fox boards or anywhere. Just, umm.. wait til after April 28, my last exam. :)

4) Do you prefer Final Fantasy or Smash?
I gotta go with Smash. But after the Smash series, I gotta say my favorite game is... the one in question 15.

5) Why don't you post much on the forums?
I think it's a combination of... I'm a quiet person, and I feel I don't know that much about Brawl.

6) Who are you? 1-word answers containing the word "Moogle" are acceptable.
moogle! (I'll go into a little more detail next question)

7) "I'm as you could say really new to the pro community, and as of yet don't know every big name or great smasher. What is it that makes you worthy to be interviewed, what amazing smash things have you done? not trying to sound like an ***, but i seriously don't know :p"
I guess I'm best known as an ssb64 player. There's a set of 17 videos of me vs. Isai from 2004. I get destroyed in most of them, but a few of them I get close to beating him. I counted 7 wins against him (in at least 100 games >_<) when he came to my house, but none of the wins got recorded. Around 2005 I was considered one of the top players in the US in ssb64 (maybe top 5 in the US?). In 2007, I got 3rd out of 64 in the FC-Diamond ssb64 tourney, behind Isai and Sensei. For that 3rd place, I got a check from MLG for $75... and I still have the check. :laugh: My main is Jigglypuff. At some point Isai even said he borrowed a few Jigglypuff ideas from me. ;)

In the Melee world, I'm known by most of the Melee players in the Atlantic South. I main Sheik. I've been on the competitive Melee scene since 2004. One could argue that I'm the best in Alabama at Melee. I got 7th of 40-something at a recent Florida Melee tourney, losing to Lambchops in the end.

In Brawl... umm.. I play Fox. ^_^

8) MOOGS! <3 How much do you think your insane smash DI has helped you with the whole "Fox is comboed easily" deal? Is that the key to being a good fox player?
Maybe it's not the key, but every little bit helps with Fox. I remember last year I was playing against George's Kirby (he's ranked #3 in AL). He was expecting to do fthrow->uair->regrab on my Fox at 0%, but he freaked out when I smash DI'ed his uair completely behind him, and he missed the regrab.

9) How do you overcome Fox's bad match-ups?
I just play waaay campier. Less dair, more laser, way more running away from situations I'm not sure about. Or I counterpick!

10) Do you use a secondary and if so which?
I've used G&W, Snake, and Marth as counterpicks. I got a little bit of tier ***** in me.

11) What are the bread and butter tactics you use with fox?
I usually start off mixing up dairs and grabs. Dair is high-risk/high-reward. If dair is working out for me, I keep using it. If they punish my dairs, I'll use more nairs (and grabs and lasers). You also need to recognize when your dair is stale and won't combo to utilt or usmash.

If I do get my low-% utilts, usually I'll shield when I'm done with utilting cause a lot of times people will come down with an aerial, which I shield grab. The wiser people will save their second jump, and jump out at the right time. If they do, I'll try to punish them when they're forced to land on the stage (with another grab or a dash attack or something).

The first thing people learn about fighting Fox is that most of Fox's approaches can be dealt with by shielding. This makes it very important to use a lot of grabs. Get grabs any way you can. I like using fthrow a lot. If you fthrow at low-mid% and immediately dash toward them, a lot of people will spot dodge. If they do, then dair them. Fox's dair wins against spot dodge every time. If you mix up your throw directions a lot, then you can pull off dthrow->fair multiple times in a set. Or if you dthrow at low%, and they airdodge to the ground, line up another grab when they land, Meta Knight style. There are so many options, so many ways to test your opponent's reaction.

Shinestall is great, especially against people who like to punish those 2+ frames of vulnerability when you're forced to land. Just mix up shinestalling, fastfalling, and slowfalling, and people will have a lot of trouble punishing you on landing. Then there's all the uses of shinestalling when approaching. You guys know that stuff.

In general, running away and lasering is great. Fox doesn't want to trade damage with anyone. You want to minimize the chances that you make a tiny mistake and eat 21% damage from a Snake ftilt. If you dair the back of their shield, don't always try utilt. Try running away... or dairing again. :)

I dunno... Fox's basic approaches are easily punished, and you can't get all of your damage from lasers. You gotta learn all sorts of tricksies to land a hit. Maybe sometime I'll write up every little trick I can think of.

12) Any tips for gimping your opponents?
I'm really not good at offstage stuff with Fox.. leave that to Rookie. It's really something I should learn though.

13) What's your favorite Smash game and which do you think you're the best at?
Melee's gotta be my favorite. As for which I'm best at, I feel most skilled at Melee, though I probably would be ranked higher in ssb64 just because the community is smaller and less developed than Melee's.

14) Why Moogle?
I've had moogle(+numbers) on AOL/AIM for the past 10-12 years. I'm a big fan of SNES RPGs. Also, it's the name I chose when I started playing ssb64 online back in 2003... and it stuck for my whole smash career.

15) Whats your favorite Final Fantasy game?
FF6! It's the game that made me love SNES RPGs. After FF6, though, I gotta go with FF7.

16) What is Fox´s sexiest move? Why?
I'd say his dash. ;) Not dash attack, just the dash. It makes dash->usmash so fearsome. If you want a real move... I'd say nair is sexiest. People don't expect it to be that good. Also, it is a sex kick after all.

17) How many hours you play Brawl a week?
Really not much. >_< I'd say I play like 2 hours a week of Brawl on average (unless you count tournaments, then maybe around 4 hours a week on average.) I play Melee like 6-10 hours a week. Though lately I've been thinking I should play Brawl some more. I'm getting a little more serious about the game. There are 1-2 people in my town who are better than me... Will_ is better, and DanGR is equal or better.

18) Is it ever better to do standing lasers?
I like standing lasers, especially at the start of a match. There are people who will eat a lot of damage from standing lasers... you gotta test your opponent sometimes. p.s. I love fthrow -> standing lasers.

19) Do you shtl or shdl with a fast fall?
I don't shtl, and I don't fastfall lasers... but I'm no pro with lasers. It's something I need to work on by myself.

20) When you are getting chaingrabbed by falco or ddd, which attack would you use to come out fastest?
I don't know what's best, but if I'm getting chaingrabbed, usually I go into freakout mode and quarter-circle DI up and mash buttons. That lets me possibly grab break, and also lets me jump away if they're too slow on the regrab. (I play with default controls... so tap jump is on.) p.s. D3 doesn't chaingrab Fox. :)

21) Is firefox ever better than illusion when you are above the stage?
Sometimes I'll do Firefox downward to the ledge, but not that often. Sometime I'll Firefox right into them if I feel they won't expect it, but that's something you're not gonna pull off more than once a set. I like doing dumb little things like that.

22) How big of a role does Smash play in your life?
Well.. I got to know my current group of friends through coach, who I met at a Melee tourney in 2005. I have an apartment with probably my two best friends (coach and Palmer), and they both play smash. I've had 2 girlfriends who were both ssb64 addicts. I've met so many awesome people at smash tournaments... the community is great.

23) Any inspirations?
Isai! It was Isai for my 64 career and the beginning of my Melee career. Later on, Drephen was probably the biggest inspiration for my Melee Sheik. In Brawl, I didn't find any other Foxes I really liked until I saw Rookie's videos. I was really happy to find another Fox that played like mine (and who had a much better offstage game).

24) Any shout-outs to those who helped you on your Smash journey?
Isai, of course, for ssb64. I remember thinking, "After playing against Isai, everyone else seems easy." In Melee, I probably developed my game the most from playing against jcpwn. A lot of credit also goes to CAHphoenix, MookieRah, Thief, coach, and joot. In Brawl, munkus beaver was the first person I played who could beat me most of the time... he inspired me to get better. Will_ and DanGR are helping me get better in Brawl nowadays. And lastly I'll give one big shoutout for Alabama smash. p.s. Reflex is too good!

25) Do you think Fox is underrated? What about his position on the tier list?
Maybe a little. I'd say he's mid-tier material at best.

26) What's your favorite matchup to play as Fox?
I'd have to say Meta Knight... with Snake not too far behind.

27) Favorite music?
I listen to all sorts of music, but for the most part, I'm an indie kid. My current favorite bands/artists are Girl Talk, Of Montreal, Silversun Pickups, and Crystal Castles.

28) Where are you in life right now? (School/work, etc.)
I'm a grad student in mathematics at UAH (University of Alabama at Huntsville), currently going for a Master's degree, but I'm thinking of going for a Ph.D sometime in the future. I don't really have plans to do anything with these post-graduate degrees... I'm mainly doing it for fun. I'm a mathematician at heart. Also, I work part-time as a computer programmer for a small company in town. It's not bad... the project I'm working on is relatively fun.

29) What are your other hobbies?
I guess video games rank pretty high up there. Usually I have some non-smash game to fill my time (right now it's Street Fighter IV). I'll say I really like soccer, so I don't sound quite so geeky, but I haven't played in months. Oh, and the occasional party nights never hurt... well, usually not.

30) Are you going to get FFXIII?
If it's going to be available for XBox 360, then yeah, probably. I haven't been keeping with with FFXIII news. I just beat FFXII not too long ago.

31) What made you get into the Smash scene?
I met someone in high school (in 2002) who was as good as me at ssb64. He was Fox, I was Jigglypuff. We didn't know Z-canceling and stuff back then. In 2003, we had a bigger group of smashers, and I learned you could play ssb64 online. We learned the advanced techniques (z-cancel, short hop, etc.) during summer 2003. Early 2004, one of the female smashers in our group (Melissa, or "MEL") convinced Isai to come to Alabama. And so Isai stayed in Huntsville for a week. :) CAHphoenix (AL's best Melee player at the time) held a Melee tourney when Isai was here. darkrain, KishSquared, and KishPrime were notable players who showed up.

32) Who would you say is the Fox right behind you in skill level? Ahead of you? Why?
It's hard to say which Foxes I'm better than. I think Rookie and samboner are better than me (though I think some of my Alabama comrades would disagree with me on that). I think Foxes like Toronto Joe and NeverKnowsBest are really good too. (That's not an exhaustive list... there are a lot of good Foxes.) But it's hard to tell that much from videos. Brawl's not so much about what you can do with your character... it's more about reading your opponent.

33) Any last thoughts?
I wanna get better at Brawl! I think my biggest problem is that I don't play enough. I lack experience in a lot of matchups. Also, I wish I had more 1v1 videos. I'm not good at remembering what my Fox does... I gotta watch videos of myself to remember a lot of my tactics. I really should record a bunch of friendlies with Will_ or DanGR or anyone, and then I can share my Foxy strategies with the Fox boards. <3

ihavespaceblondes

Smash Master
I want to show my support for Moogle for being amazing, but I'd have to post on a barlw board to do it. I'm... just torn, I don't know what to do, help me Kupo!

EDIT: Crap, I already posted. Now I'm tainted.

Top Bottom