• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Football Thread

Maaaaaaaaaan

Smash Lord
NNID
Maaaaaaaaaan
Man, it really sucks what's happening to your 49ers. :\

But yeah, I've long since given up on hoping Alex Smith can turn it around.

Also, Cincy's a scary team still. They have the weapons to beat anyone on a given night, which is a strong trait to bring into the postseason. Still though, losing to the Browns is not exactly a good sign.

Jets smacked Buffalo, and the Ravens are still so good of a team.

Wins for DEN, GB, ATL, NO, HOU, WAS, and JAC. All of them were one score games. NFL is tightly contested this year, and I love it.

I'm hyped for this Monday Night game between the Pats and the Dolphins. They always play tough against each other.

the melon!!!!!

Smash Lord
WilkesBarre-Scranton, PA/State College, PA
3DS FC
0963-1716-1141
PEOPLE AIN'T NO NOTHIN BUT MY RAMS

17 to 3 3rd quarter awww yeah.
HELLYEAH!

Playoffs or bust now, Rams got a great shot at the division now, especially with SF's fallout lol. Really kinda hard to believe that we can actually get more wins this year than we've had for the past 3! Only 4 more to go and I'll finally not be a sad panda, 8 more wins and I'll freakin crap my pants!

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Bradford is legit. It's been a while since a good first pick QB has been extremely good. He's throwing to a bunch of nobodies and is doing work. He just needs to improve on his completion %. O-Line has gotten better in comparison to last year too. Give him some solid receivers, and he can be a pro bowler in the future.

Kingdom Come

Smash Lord
I must say.....

Vick is overrated......

Texans Defense is going to prevent any hope of the playoffs if the Giants can throw for over 300 yards on them.....

If Brian Cushing doesn't even make a slight impact all hope is lost.......

Bradford looks legit...........

Seahawks will win the west.......

But really, who cares? It won't even be above .500%...............

The Indy Empire is coming to an end............

The Dolphins are much better than what they showed............

Dolphins need to run the ball more.....................

I **** myself like 10 different times during the game last night..........

Somebody prove me wrong.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Rumors of Moss being traded to Vikings? Favre to Moss? When Sidney Rice comes back...that it's a legit Receiving corp. On one end, Moss, the other Rice, in the slot Percy, and a fourth is Berrian. Though Moss is past his prime =/.

Maaaaaaaaaan

Smash Lord
NNID
Maaaaaaaaaan
Moss is past his prime, but ****, he's amazing. He's still the best deep ball receiver, and some of the softest catching hands ever. I was gonna' post about the rumors but Bored beat me to it. lol

And Kingdom Come: Indy never had an empire, in my opinion. They've prospered in the Manning era. And they won't be gone until Peyton retires.

As for the Dolphins/Pats game: Patriots are better, sure, but Dolphins are better than their special teams would make you think. Chad Henne tried to force too many passes, in my opinion, but he shouldn't be throwing 30 times anyway.

Maaaaaaaaaan

Smash Lord
NNID
Maaaaaaaaaan
Double posting for the sake of passing on info.

According to Adam Schefter of ESPN, current sources are reporting that the Vikings and Patriots are looking to finalize the Moss trade by Wednesday. That means he'd be playing in Minnesota by this weekend.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
If he knows the playbook lol. They might toss him in on a few plays here and there. Though I am surprised that Vikings will offer him a 4 year contract unless they plan to cheat him. He's 33 right now...so a 4 year contract would mean he's long done after that.

In any case, he's not the best deep threat receiver anymore. I would take Desean Jackson and Calvin Johnson first. Vincent Jackson last year was amazing as well.

Maaaaaaaaaan

Smash Lord
NNID
Maaaaaaaaaan
Oh, of course he won't get a lot of playing time, he's still gotta' learn it.
Although, since when does Brett Favre run a complex offense? Him and Moss will take shots down field whenever they feel like it, and that's scary.

I was surprised at the contract length too though, but it's kinda' nice that he'll play out his career in Minnesota.

I disagree about him not being the best anymore. His skills are still on point, and while he's not the most athletic, he still makes incredible catches. He can still jump up and "Moss 'em."
All that really matters in my eyes though is that he's better than Sidney Rice, so that's great.

It'll be scary when they get them both back.

(On a side-note, he gets an extra day with the playbook. They're the MNF game against the Jets, of all teams. Sucks for them, they get to play Moss twice in 3 weeks.)

Maaaaaaaaaan

Smash Lord
NNID
Maaaaaaaaaan
So, this isn't exactly football news, but it's pretty amazing for any sports fan. Posting this in the NBA thread too. (I don't even like baseball.)

Roy Halladay pitched a No-Hitter tonight in his first career playoff game. He had the most active starts without a playoff appearance, and a large deal was made about him finally making it.
And he delivered. Second No-No thrown in the playoffs, ever. The last was in the 50's.

Not only that, he threw a Perfect Game earlier this year, meaning he's had two of them now in one season. I think only 4 people have done that ever.

He'd also pitched 5 other games this season with 5 hits or less. My point is, this was a hell of a season for him, and this was crazier than all of it. And that's all for me talking baseball.

As for football news: Moss was traded for a 3rd round pick. This might prove interesting for the Pats, since the Chargers have been shopping Vincent Jackson for a 2nd and 3rd pick from teams. Maybe the Pats land him?

As for Moss, he's hyped to be with Favre, and Favre seems just as happy. Darrelle Revis called out Moss's work ethic again, so get hyped for Randy's return to Revis Island.

Maaaaaaaaaan

Smash Lord
NNID
Maaaaaaaaaan
I'd be interested in seeing the Steelers make a pitch for him. I think the only two receivers they've got right now are Hines Ward and Randle El, and they're worst in the league for passing yards.

That'd be a really high profile trade though, so I wouldn't count on it.

My personal opinion is that he should go to the Bills, or maybe even the Chiefs if the Chargers are forced to trade in division.

The Bills have no receivers, and a deep threat would open up the field for an already elusive CJ Spiller.
Lee Evans is all they've got, and he's got only 1 catch for more than 20 yards this season.

Another "safe" trade for the Chargers would be to offload Jackson to the Bucs. They've got noone really, and their Number 1 guy, Mike Williams, just got a small injury.

Basically, the Chargers wanted a 2nd and 3rd round pick, but nobody bit. I think the best they can do now is a 3rd rounder, and I want it to be the Bills. lol

theeboredone

Smash Legend
V-Jax is too out of shape really to contribute much this season. Hard to believe he's gonna be in football shape for another 5-6 weeks (from when he reports).

I'm so happy for Brandon Lloyd. He's finally getting to showcase his talents. Best hands in the NFL (check out whatever highlight videos he has on youtube). Pro Bowl status.

Edit: Music sucks, but you get the idea.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YaVwVL2wYuw

Maaaaaaaaaan

Smash Lord
NNID
Maaaaaaaaaan
I hadn't heard much about his physical condition. That sucks then. Chargers have some messes to clean up, that's for sure.

They're releasing Shawn Merriman as soon as he's off injured reserve.

And I knew I recognized that name. He's one of those guys that caused Madden to start implementing "Spectacular Catch". Sick highlights.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
I actually do have a Brandon Lloyd 49ers jersey dating back to when he was with them (4 years). Throw backs are the new thing.

Maaaaaaaaaan

Smash Lord
NNID
Maaaaaaaaaan
Throwbacks are always good, but I can't stand people rocking throwbacks from around a decade old. That's not old enough to be classic, and not new enough to be great. Unless it's a superstar, of course.

Also, GunmasterLombardi sounds like a ****** alternate version of Vince Lombardi.
What's a Falco?

IAmBlu3

Smash Champion
jacksonville look absolutely dreadful right now. titans are destroying them.

edit - how do ya'll feel about this new rule that "devastating hits" and "head hits" qualify for a suspension? i wanna now what the hell they mean by "devastating hits".

theeboredone

Smash Legend
I guess hits on defenseless players? Honestly, what happen to the days of wrapping your opponent up? Really though, suspensions can be tough to hand out, but it does seem like these helmet to helmet hits are becoming more common.

I was down 3 points in fantasy with CJ left...it's 4th and 5 with a minute left...they decide to give the ball to CJ and he gets a 30 yard TD LOL. Titans are the new Patriots.

Maaaaaaaaaan

Smash Lord
NNID
Maaaaaaaaaan
jacksonville look absolutely dreadful right now. titans are destroying them.

edit - how do ya'll feel about this new rule that "devastating hits" and "head hits" qualify for a suspension? i wanna now what the hell they mean by "devastating hits".
I don't like it. It's a bull rule. The only "dirty" hit yesterday was on Todd Heap. It's a shame so many people got hurt, but it's not dirty. The NFL is starting to get way too strict.

Kingdom Come

Smash Lord
Is anybody watching the Bills whoop up on the Ravens?

This is incredible!!! I didn't even think the Bills would win a game this season. What happened to the Ravens Defense? Like SRSLY!!!!!!

SharkAttack

Smash Lord
Wow, every team I've predicted to win so far this week is losing right now. Talk about 7 years of bad luck. On the bright side my favorite team the Lions aren't losing.

Chronodiver Lokii

Chaotic Stupid
BRoomer
I am surprised: Cleveland is beating (well, will beat) the Saints.
...I'm so confused.
Why couldn't they do this against the Steelers?

Kingdom Come

Smash Lord
My team got jewed so bad. The Dolphins clearly recovered the ball. I hate how they like playing favoritism. I mean seriously. And also they should let the players finish the play instead of being so sure about things. Let the players play. Same with the NBA.

Maaaaaaaaaan

Smash Lord
NNID
Maaaaaaaaaan
I am surprised: Cleveland is beating (well, will beat) the Saints.
...I'm so confused.
Why couldn't they do this against the Steelers?
Because for the past 3 years, the Browns have beat the previous Super Bowl winner. The Browns aren't a good team, but they're a tough mental team. They show up to play in big games. lol

My team got jewed so bad. The Dolphins clearly recovered the ball. I hate how they like playing favoritism. I mean seriously. And also they should let the players finish the play instead of being so sure about things. Let the players play. Same with the NBA.
This was unfortunate for the Dolphins, but that was such an unusual circumstance, there wasn't any rules in place otherwise. The play is considered dead after the touchdown, so from there, it takes the rules of normal review. If there's not enough evidence, the play must stand. It sucks, but this isn't the worst case of a rule screwing someone this year. The Lions got that on "You must complete the catch through the ground".

Those two rules will most likely change next season.

Maaaaaaaaaan

Smash Lord
NNID
Maaaaaaaaaan
Cowboys went from Playoff faves to potential 1st pick in the draft in only 2 months.

What went wrong? lol

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Start with Wade Phillips. I never liked him, wasn't for the contract extension. Fire his *** in the off season and go get Bill Cowher.

Maaaaaaaaaan

Smash Lord
NNID
Maaaaaaaaaan
Haha, Wade Phillips isn't a good coach, that's for sure. But I think you're right. The games we've lost are because of penalties, and penalties are most often a result of coaching.

Bill Cowher coaching the Cowboys seems odd, but I like it. XD

theeboredone

Smash Legend
The whole team is undisciplined, and for that, has regressed. They also need a consistent kicker. Buehler could have won them a few games this season. Tom Coughlin is considered a players' coach these days, but he'll still get in your ear and make you run laps until you vomit if you don't do your work right.

Maaaaaaaaaan

Smash Lord
NNID
Maaaaaaaaaan
Haha, I've never heard Tom Coughlin described as a players' coach. XD

But you're right, I'd rather have a strict coach than an ineffective one. I admire what Rex Ryan is doing with the Jets though. That's my favorite type of coach right there.

Also, Vikings have the same problem with bad coaching.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Well, doesn't help that Favre refuses to sit despite all the injuries he has. Up to this week last season, Favre had a 12-3 TD/INT ratio. This year it's far worse.

Brad Childress is like the Phil Jackson of football in terms of coaching style...too bad that doesn't work in football.

Maaaaaaaaaan

Smash Lord
NNID
Maaaaaaaaaan
Yeah, Favre's well past his prime by now. I still think he's a starting QB quality guy, but the Vikings are floundering. That running game is disappointing to me when you've got Adrian Peterson.

At least Randy Moss is working out. lol

Heart Break Kid

Smash Lord
Jets are that team. I def was laughing early on in this thread when people were claiming the Dolphins were gonna win the division. Lol Cry more guys, shoulda capitilized on other oppurtunities and you wouldnt have been in that posistion anyway.

Nxt 3 games are against GB, DET and CLE. Were def taking advantage!

Top Bottom