• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Football Thread

Tom

Bulletproof Doublevoter
BRoomer
I dont have a favorite team, but I cheer for the Texans a lot. My Dad is a long time Aints fan born and bred New Orleans. But they just got hella lucky (bound to happen once every 40 years if the other 39 are unlucky right???xD)

evileric

Smash Apprentice
i don't have a favorite team either, most of teams are the same to me

theeboredone

Smash Legend
I'm so glad to see that the 49ers have a great chance of making the playoffs (yes I know crappy division). I'm hoping Derek Anderson doesn't discover his pro bowl year, the Seahawks will continue to suck, and the Rams are fish in a barrel. 49ers safety and corner play is still shady, but our run defense is **** stout.

Here's to hoping Alex Smith becomes a decent QB, at least enough to have Crabtree and Davis elevate to pro bowl status.

It's been a long drought, been a fan since I was 4 or 5. Dad showed me a documentary of their 1989-1990 campaign when they repeated and blew out the Broncos in the Superbowl. Jerry Rice, Joe Montana, John Taylor, Roger Craig...oh my gosh. Too good.

SharkAttack

Smash Lord
Lions are my team. They're not going to go anywhere this year again, but hopefully they can rack up 5 wins somehow/someway. They did go 3-1 in preseason; but the preseason means absolutly nothing. The year they went 0-16 the Lions went 4-0 in the preseason.

My prediction is 3-13 with wins against the Eagles, Rams and Bills.

I wish they could take a hot tub time maching back to the 1990's and get Barry Sanders back.

Kingdom Come

Smash Lord
WTF?

Bro, please don't troll. This is an American Football Thread. I'm sorry if I didn't make that clear in the first post.

But, the Dolphins and Texans guys are my new best friends. They will both win their divisions. Go Phins! GOOOOOOO!!!!!!!

BTW I got the Vikes winning tomorrow night.

SharkAttack

Smash Lord
Wow! The Lions got hosed in my opinion. I don't see how that wasn't a touchdown catch by Calvin Johnson. He caught the ball, hit the ground and then he stretched his arm over with the ball to the ground. I really don't understand the whole process thing the announcers were talking about. When Johnson hit the ground before the ball did wouldn't that be down and converted? He clearly had the ball in possesion when he hit the ground before making a stetch in the endzone.

spider_sense

Smash Champion
i hate the colts rush defense smh. manning puts up 433 yds and 3 tds and they still lost.
Rofl. Manning literally carries the team. Lone soldier, right there. I'm gonna keep my eyes on the Steelers. Wanna see how far they can make it. I did miss them vs Atlanta. Anyone care to tell me how that went down?

IAmBlu3

Smash Champion
Rofl. Manning literally carries the team. Lone soldier, right there.
haha seems so. i suppose the positive way to look at this is that the same year we were getting our ***es handed to us by rushing teams is the same year we won the superbowl :cool:

and the steelers v atlanta game as kinda boring. anybody see vick trying to stage a comeback today?? lol. i really wanted him to pull it off, too.

Kingdom Come

Smash Lord
Vick is overrated. He runs. Therefore he isn't good.

Aryan Foster is a ****ing monster. Not only him. But, the Texans looked so much more physical. They looked so strong. I can't believe nobody even said anything about that. The O-line and D-line dominated that game.

My Super Bowl teams both won today. Texans won. Ravens will win. This season has me hype. And yea, does anybody here have NFL Redzone? I have it and love watching it when the Local game is on commercial. The Steelers D looked ossim. The Lions got ****ed.

Ravens and Chiefs win tomorrow.

*Tyson*

Smash Ace
Lol, Kingdom......the least you can do is spell Fosters name correctly. I thought they were your team;)

It was one week.... A lot of your predictions are just wishful thinking. Not going to happen my friend.

Kingdom Come

Smash Lord
Aryan. Arian. Same thing.

And NOOOOOO LOL!!!!!!

The Texans are not my favorite team. I'm a Miami phan. I'm 15-1 on the season so far.

My predictions for this upcoming week are....

BUF @ GB
BAL @ CIN
TB @ CAR
KC @ CLE
PIT @ TEN
CHI @ DAL
ARI @ ATL
PHI @ DET
MIA @ MIN
STL @ OAK
HOU @ WAS
NE @ NYJ
JAC @ SD
*** @ IND
NO @ SF

As of right now these are my thoughts. I might change this by Saturday night. But I believe Detroit can pull off the upset. Especially since they are at home. San Diego won't stop J-Ville's O. The Cowboys played terrible last week. A lot had to do with their O-line. I think the Bears D will prove too much. Bears D > Redskins D.

I'm a little iffy on the New Orleans- San Francisco game though. I think that San Fran can probably win that despite how bad it looked last week.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
My 49ers got *****. What a disappointment. Will lose to the Saints this Monday Night. Man...eff.

At least my fantasy team is rockin.

Oh and Bob Sanders is out AGAIN. I'm not sure if I should even feel sorry for him anymore.

Kingdom Come

Smash Lord
Bob Sanders....

I still don't see what others see in him. He makes a big play then 2 plays letter he tears his (insert body part here)

MASAHIROx

Smash Lord
need help
who should i start tomorow in my fantasy league?
devery henderson
robert meachem
??

im down by 3.54 pts

whos gonna put up bigger numbers??

Maaaaaaaaaan

Smash Lord
NNID
Maaaaaaaaaan
Hey, the 49ers looked good in my opinion. They've got a strong core of young players. I really thought they'd take that game after they drove the field, and I knew Vernon Davis would be the go-to man at the end.

Their defense is solid too, just not great, per se. They're a very good team, in my opinion.

Playing better than my Cowboys at least. Meh, at least I still have the Texans and Peyton to cheer for.

Speaking of, if the Texans win this game against the Cowboys like I expect, I sense a shift in Texas football fans. The Texans have gone unnoticed for too long in my opinion, and Andre Johnson/Matt Schaub is a legit combination. For that matter, Mario Williams/DeMeco Ryans/Brian Cushing is a scary run stopping team. Unfortunately, the secondary is still weak. :\

Still though, over the last 4-5 years, the Texans have been building a real team.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Nah, Dallas is "America's Team". Way too many fans across the nation. 49ers were super inconsistent last year, and so far are showing the same signs. They almost beat the Saints, but got rocked by Seattle (lolwut?). Even though they are 0-2, I still see them winning the division.

Peyton is definitely one of my fav QBs. His approach to the game has too many similarities to Kobe. Both have that drive and mental toughness I enjoy seeing.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
As much as I love Mike Singeltary, he's not fit to be a coach. Either that, or the team needs an entire roster revamp on a lot of skill positions. The offense is too limited, and the defense makes the same mistakes every single time. KC is a solid team, but we shouldn't have lost that badly.

Edit: And just like that, they fired the O-Coordinator.

Maaaaaaaaaan

Smash Lord
NNID
Maaaaaaaaaan
Yeah, I saw that score and immediately regretted jumping on a 49ers can come back and be good bandwagon. XD

Seriously though, KC? All they do is win baby. lol
Also, I think Singeltary can be a good coach. He knows the game, and he's a dominant personality. (Wade Phillips, is not.) What he did with Vernon Davis is amazing. Still though, something's wrong in San Fran.

Also, Peyton is on Chuck Norris status in my mind. He's probably the best player in football. I like to think he is, at least.

And good job by my Cowboys actually playing something that resembled an offense.
Sad that the Texans lost by so much though. Here we go again with chants of overrated.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Well to be pessimistic on the Cowboys, Houston has been a crappy defense. I mean, Redskins lightened them up too lol. In all honesty, Houston is not gonna make the playoffs if their defense keeps playing like this.

MASAHIROx

Smash Lord
i just LOVE watching Michael Vick do his thing

im so glad hes proven that he can still start in the nfl

soooo athletic

Maaaaaaaaaan

Smash Lord
NNID
Maaaaaaaaaan
Yeah, their passing defense is a huge liability, for sure.

And I'm not saying the Cowboys proved to me they're ready, I'm just saying it was nice to see them do something.

However, I still contend the Texans are a run-stopping team. They'll get better with Brian Cushing back.

And yeah, Michael Vick is still one of my fave players. Too athletic, and he's smarter now.

Maaaaaaaaaan

Smash Lord
NNID
Maaaaaaaaaan
lol, I'm kinda' surprised about MJD's production too, honestly. He's normally a sure bet.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
I'm hatin fantasy football. I always have the worst luck. I won my first game because I had the highest point total, but these past two games, I've gotten wrecked cause my opponent has had the highest point total of the week. The worst part is I'm the third or second in points that week also -_-. I'm 1-2 with the second highest point total in the league.

Last year, I started out 5-0, and didn't make the playoffs cause injuries derailed me. The year before that, Tom Brady went out with that ACL injury which also derailed my year. Efffff...

Maaaaaaaaaan

Smash Lord
NNID
Maaaaaaaaaan
Haha, but that's part of the beauty of fantasy football. It really does reflect the NFL. You've gotta' know matchups by week, and any week can be won or lost.

Mad fun, no?

¯\_S.(ツ).L.I.D._/¯

Smash Legend
If the Rams had Avery I'd say they could win the NFC West. Steven Jackson is ridiculous. Rams should be 3-1, if Steve Breaston hadn't gotten the strip against them. But I like Arizona too so it's all good. Looks like the Niners don't really have a shot unless they step it up big time.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Alex Smith is a failure, and they desperately need to get a QB in the off season whether it's draft, trade, or FA signing. I can't believe they didn't make a play for Vick or McNabb over the off season. There are lot of QBs out there better than Smith. Leftwich, Dixon, Batch...all 3 that are Pittsburgh QBs are better than Smith. I'm sure Pittsburgh wouldn't mind trading one of those for some prospects. Oh and I love Mike Singeltary, but he's horrible at managing games. They just need to revamp that entire staff. I'm still wondering why they let Norv Turner, then Mike Martz let go as their Off Coordinator.

At least two of my ex-49er players had big games. Brandon Lloyd finally coming around, and T.O. turning back the clock.

Top Bottom