• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Football Thread

Maaaaaaaaaan

Smash Lord
NNID
Maaaaaaaaaan
Yeah, but only the teams who make it this far have the right to embarrass themselves. lol

SharkAttack

Smash Lord
I have no justification for this prediction, but I'm picking the Packers over Steelers 24-23 in an epic game. Looking forward to it.

Reizilla

The Old Lapras and the Sea
Hmm, every prediction I've publicly declared has been wrong this season. So, Steelers over Packers by 50 >:3

pawnch

Smash Cadet
Ugh, i dont like either teams. I guess i could use the excuse that my family is from pittsburgh(football only kthx).

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Can't believe Cutler has gotten so much hate from not only players, but fans as well. I mean really? Burning his jersey? I swear, fans can be total morons sometimes.

Peeze

Smash Master
Grade 2 sprain can be painful.
I had a grade 1 sprain and the doc said no b-ball for a week, so grade 2 would definitely feel worse. But i see why fans would be upset, especially when others players have played with worse(big Ben playing with a broken nose recently comes to mind).

theeboredone

Smash Legend
I have also suffered a grade 1 mcl sprain. It was last year, and we were playing football. Honestly, I tried to play through it. Straight routes were fine, but I could not make cuts, plant my foot, etc. Even though I could run straight, it was a mild jog at best. Anytime I jumped up for the ball, I felt my entire leg just give out and collapse under me. It wasn't that painful as much as it was like losing feeling in your leg.

Though for the next two weeks, I could barely put weight on it.

With that being said, I don't want to imagine what Cutler would have to deal with. I mean, just the thought of getting hit by a guy like Clay Matthews would take so much out of him.

\/aarsivius

Smash Cadet
I'm Scottish, so i'm not very clued up on this but i'll give it a go.

I agree with Kingdom and say it's gonna be a Dolphins/Redskins bowl, but I have my dark horse pick on the NY Jets. Are they in the league? I honestly don't know!

theeboredone

Smash Legend
The championship game is going to happen a week from now. Dolphins and Redskins didn't even make the playoffs. NY Jets got to the AFC Championship, but that's it. It will be Steelers vs Packers.

Best beard ever?

Maaaaaaaaaan

Smash Lord
NNID
Maaaaaaaaaan
That show is one of the best shows CC could of put on. I read those Sports headlines daily. :D

Reizilla

Clay Matthews should've gotten that MVP. Dude's such a beast.

Pikaville

Pikaville returns 10 years later.
Awesome, I only wanted the Packers to win because I had never heard of them before until a month or 2 ago.

I found the name hillarious.

It was a great game though, plus I got to eat loads of junk food :bee:

SharkAttack

Smash Lord
This was a fun game to watch. I really thought Pittsburgh was going to come back and take this game. That fumble Green Bay recovered in the 3rd quarter that eventually led to a touchdown drive was the key part of the game in my opinion. The Steelers had momentum up to that fumble similiar to the Ravens game in the divisional round. Congrats to Green Bay for not panicing.

By the way, it seemed to me car commercials dominated the Superbowl. There was like at least one car commercial every break.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Yeah, I bet Mendenhall is feeling like a pile of crap right now.

This sort of reminded me of the Pitt and Baltimore game. Steelers were playing screwed up football in the first half and were down plenty, came back in the third, and then it was anybody's game in the fourth. However, I'm glad the Packers won. Always fun when the underdog wins.

Reizilla

People seriously considered the Packers underdogs? XD

Maaaaaaaaaan

Smash Lord
NNID
Maaaaaaaaaan
As far as I knew, the Steelers were slight underdogs coming in for the first time yet because the defenses were equal and Rogers was playing a bit better.

Great game though. Packers defense won this, with 21 of their points coming off of turnovers. Steelers looked like a team that belonged there too, so it was fun to watch. First pick was a freak play that resulted in 7. The fumble surprised me, honestly, but that's what a great defense does.

Only thing that shocked me all game was a lack of Palomalu(however it's spelled). The only big play he was involved in was jumping on the wrong route in the red zone and getting burned.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
The only advantage I saw the Packers having was the field. If the Superbowl was being played at a stadium that wasn't a dome, Steelers would have had it. But this is why I thought the Steelers were the favorites...

-Experience
-Super Bowl Coach
-Big Ben is clutch
-More Physical
-Slightly better defense

All the Packers had going for them was their offense really. But their defense and coaches stepped up big time. Rodgers didn't even choke on the big stage either.

Maaaaaaaaaan

Smash Lord
NNID
Maaaaaaaaaan
Experience is meaningless on that stage in my opinion. Same with "drive".

If you can't get amped up to play in the greatest game of the season, you'll lose anyways.

I also didn't expect Rodgers to choke. He's too talented for that. I'm most impressed with no turnovers. :O

KrazyGlue

Smash Champion
Greg Jennings should have been MVP. 2 touchdown catches and a 30 yard catch on 3rd and 10 that set up a field goal. QBs get too much credit when their team does well. Rodgers was an example of that in the Super Bowl, a game where he really wasn't that great. Of course, Roethlisberger has been getting too much credit his entire career.

Regardless, I was rooting for the Pack, as they're neutral to me and I slightly dislike the Steelers. My prediction before the game was 24-20 Packers, so I was relatively close. It was a great game towards the end. Steelers really mismanaged the clock, but that didn't end up being what killed them. Ultimately, turnovers caused the Packers to win, as they scored 21 of their 31 points off of Steeler turnovers.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Experience is meaningless on that stage in my opinion. Same with "drive".

If you can't get amped up to play in the greatest game of the season, you'll lose anyways.

I also didn't expect Rodgers to choke. He's too talented for that. I'm most impressed with no turnovers. :O
I don't know. I mean who would you take coaching a superbowl? First time Mike McCarthy or a SB experienced Mike Tomlin? Give me the guy who knew how to prepare for the game, and knows how to handle the situation for the upcoming two weeks. Packers had a lot of drama floating about during their two weeks.

Both teams were amped up, but there's a thing about sometimes being TOO amped up. In my opinion, the Steelers fell into that the first half. Packers receivers had some drops too.

Rodgers did have a few bad throws, but he was good overall. Big Ben just looked shaky the whole game.

And nothing against the NFC, but I found the AFC to be stronger. Patriots, Jets, Baltimore, and Steelers were some power houses. NFC had Packers and Falcons (who failed bad in the playoffs).

KrazyGlue

Smash Champion
If the Patriots had beaten the Jets, they would have won the super bowl. They always beat the Steelers and they would not have played as badly as the Steelers did in the Super Bowl.

KrazyGlue

Smash Champion
Well, the Packers are a very up and down team. Though they didn't have Rodgers against the Patriots, Flynn played very well and the rest of the Packers happened to have really good games. But the Packers had a relatively poor showing in the Super Bowl, and were outplayed by the Steelers most of the game. If the Packers had played the Patriots at that level, they wouldn't stand a chance.

Reizilla

You could say the same for if the Pats played the Packers at the level they played against the Jets and so on and so forth all that doesn't matter.

Maaaaaaaaaan

Smash Lord
NNID
Maaaaaaaaaan
Shun's right. The beauty of the NFL is it's a one-game Win Or Go Home. Nothing matters except for the final score, and the Packers won.

Also, is everyone here forgetting that the Pack had 15 PLAYERS on IR? That's insane. Show's how important a QB is in the NFL, and that every team wins based on a philosophy/work ethic/gameplan, not individual players.

Best team sport around.

Maaaaaaaaaan

Smash Lord
NNID
Maaaaaaaaaan
Depends on how literal I have to actually be for some people.

What is an army without a leader? I guess if I really have to clear up my words, "Show's how important the QB position is in the NFL".

Top Bottom