• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The First Party general support thread

Sebas22

Smash Journeyman
Banjo hasn't had a game on a Nintendo console in nearly fifteen years (Banjo Pilot on the GBA, 2005). He's a Microsoft character now and nothing will change that. Banjo really isn't as big as you think he is. He was just part of the short-lived animal mascot platformer fad of the 90s, like Bubsy, but at least Bubsy still gets games.
If you don't like Banjo, that's absolutely fine. But saying "Bubsy is more relevant than Banjo-Kazooie.".....
I have no words, so I'll use emotes to describe how I feel about this statement. In the following order:
:surprised::eek::facepalm::grin::chuckle::laugh::joyful::rotfl::nessecho:

PhantomShab

Smash Lord
SuperSceptile is a known **** poster. He's done this song and dance before in the past. Ignore or just **** post back at him.

Arthur97

Smash Master
Okay, actually playing Xenoblade Chronicles 2 finally...probably makes me wish Rex had made it more.
One retro per game, otherwise the appeal is ruined. I think next priority should go to more "One shot" but obvious additions and unforgettable, Skull Kid, Midna, etc and closely Pokey. The priority would revolutionize speculation. Retros are already priority, honestly and technically they even exist as characters who's IP has been long since completed or is in hiatus if not vaulted, served as a one time project.

On the topic of retro characters tho, my picks are Wart and considerably Cranky Kong.
Did Ice Climbers and Mr. Game & Watch ruin it? They started the retro trend and joined together.

Wigglerman

Smash Ace
Okay, actually playing Xenoblade Chronicles 2 finally...probably makes me wish Rex had made it more.

Did Ice Climbers and Mr. Game & Watch ruin it? They started the retro trend and joined together.
I personally don't understand how retros 'ruin' anything. If anything I've always felt they had priority over newer properties but I guess that's just me, so I don't get the annoyance with retros.

Arthur97

Smash Master
I personally don't understand how retros 'ruin' anything. If anything I've always felt they had priority over newer properties but I guess that's just me, so I don't get the annoyance with retros.
I wouldn't say they had priority. At least not, the retro category which isn't just old characters, it's old characters from series that stopped having games, or in R.O.B.'s case was discontinued (though he had a MKDS appearance), and are typically NES or earlier. In this sense, Mario and DK don't qualify as "retro" as they (and their series) have continued up to the modern day. Pit is an odd case where he was retro when he debuted in Brawl, but was no longer retro by 4.

Wigglerman

Smash Ace
I wouldn't say they had priority. At least not, the retro category which isn't just old characters, it's old characters from series that stopped having games, or in R.O.B.'s case was discontinued (though he had a MKDS appearance), and are typically NES or earlier. In this sense, Mario and DK don't qualify as "retro" as they (and their series) have continued up to the modern day. Pit is an odd case where he was retro when he debuted in Brawl, but was no longer retro by 4.
Right, I understand. That's what I understood when meaning 'retro'. However, I stand by my statement. iconic characters of old, even if they don't have a current series of games going, doesn't mean they shouldn't be disqualified or glossed over so passively. I mean, christ, look at Richter or Simon. Castlevania may have had games over the years but Simon and Richter are classic characters even if they haven't always been the focus of the series. Duck Hunt hasn't had a game...well...since NES, but the character is easily identifiable as Nintendo, which is why I feel Retros are always a decent option. Smash is about the history of gaming...not just CURRENT gaming. And ignoring the games that pretty much made the NES as successful as it was is silly IMO. There should be a good blend of new and old.

Arthur97

Smash Master
Right, I understand. That's what I understood when meaning 'retro'. However, I stand by my statement. iconic characters of old, even if they don't have a current series of games going, doesn't mean they shouldn't be disqualified or glossed over so passively. I mean, christ, look at Richter or Simon. Castlevania may have had games over the years but Simon and Richter are classic characters even if they haven't always been the focus of the series. Duck Hunt hasn't had a game...well...since NES, but the character is easily identifiable as Nintendo, which is why I feel Retros are always a decent option. Smash is about the history of gaming...not just CURRENT gaming. And ignoring the games that pretty much made the NES as successful as it was is silly IMO. There should be a good blend of new and old.
It shouldn't disqualify them, no, but we have relatively few of them.

Also, I threw in the series not being retro as they typically aren't considered as much if their series is alive. Like Marth in Melee. He wasn't considered retro, but his games were on the NES and I think it was before the remakes and it was definitely before Heroes and Warriors.

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
Hey I noticed a Piranha Plant discussion many pages back and I want to offer my suggestion: I doubt it got in simply because it's iconic, or whatever justification we come up with to go "Of course it made it! How could we not have seen this coming?!" I'm certain that if a wiggler or a smiley cloud or a spiny or Chargin Chuck or even a Noki made it, people would be trying to justify it with some other well-written BS.

PP's a joke character sure, but it's not simply that all by itself. There's tons of joke character candidates from Mario alone that would've shocked us and made us scream WTF. I think the main purpose of Plant is to disrupt our speculation. We've gone on for years analyzing relevancy, importance to their particular series, ties with Nintendo, moveset potential and characters per series, but Plant flies in the face of all of that.

We focused on characters who played a big role in the plot of the games they're in, but got an obstacle as a fighter that we treat as scenery in its home series. We focused on relevancy to weed out most, but Plant is so synonymous with Stage Hazards that we barely acknowledged it. We say "X can't be in since their body has no moveset potential" but got a stem with leaves and teeth on a round head. Plant is Sakurai trolling us who spend years speculating and trying to predict his choices. He's telling us that we're wasting our time; he'll add anyone or thing he wants no matter their potential, importance or popularity (usually) even if they're not bona fide characters because he chose to. He knows for the most part that he can add who he wants as long as they're fun to play as, and people will treat that newcomer like a no-brainer and act like they saw it coming. Sakurai enjoys trolling and seeing our reactions but as long as we keep thinking certain characters can't ever get in we'll see more WTF moments.

Last edited:

Quillion

Smash Hero
Let's not revive the Piranha Plant discussion.

Back to retros, I stand by that I prefer them over newbies. Retros are at least proven, while are untested characters who have yet to stand the test of time.

I'd say Spring Man, WHEN he becomes a retro (and by that at least one generation old), would be a great fit for the next Smash, but not now. That would be like putting Bowser Jr. in Brawl.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
That would be like putting Bowser Jr. in Brawl.
If anything, the only reason why he wasn't in Brawl was that he had yet to be associated with the clown car, which helps him stick out.

UserKev

Smash Champion
Guess I didn't realize. I mean, you definitely shouldn't add more than 2 literal retros per game at least.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Let's not revive the Piranha Plant discussion.

Back to retros, I stand by that I prefer them over newbies. Retros are at least proven, while are untested characters who have yet to stand the test of time.

I'd say Spring Man, WHEN he becomes a retro (and by that at least one generation old), would be a great fit for the next Smash, but not now. That would be like putting Bowser Jr. in Brawl.
That's a really arbitrary way to see it. I'd argue both Spring Man right now and Bowser Jr. during the Brawl era were very much proven characters. Next year we'll be as far from Arms release as we were from Splatoon's when Inkling was included.

Arthur97

Smash Master
That's a really arbitrary way to see it. I'd argue both Spring Man right now and Bowser Jr. during the Brawl era were very much proven characters. Next year we'll be as far from Arms release as we were from Splatoon's when Inkling was included.
A pretty key difference between Arms and Splatoon is that Splatoon got a sequel. Arms' fate is still unknown. Not to mention, Splatoon has enjoyed good popularity, Arms, while I don't think it bombed, was not on the same level.

Wigglerman

Smash Ace
Guess I didn't realize. I mean, you definitely shouldn't add more than 2 literal retros per game at least.
Rob and Pit in Brawl. Heck, even Wario is a retro by the standards. So...they are fiends for adding so much classic!?

Bad taste is bad taste, as they say. :p

Last edited:

Quillion

Smash Hero
Bowser Jr. was in only one mainline Mario game when Brawl was in development and didn't really have anything to set him apart from being "small fast Bowser". That's hardly enough longevity to be represented in Smash.

3DSNinja

Smash Lord
He was the primary antagonist in Sunshine who wielded a paintbrush and raised various creatures using it as well as using several mechs. As well, he got Mario arrested.

Wigglerman

Smash Ace
Woah, woah, woah, how on Earth is Wario retro?
Considering Wario's age (since introduction) and appearance originally on a Game Boy original title? He's pretty 'retro' by definition. Sure he had some spin offs but really only resided in spin-offs until getting his 'own' games again in Wario Ware.

I don't define 'retro' as characters not getting games anymore. Wario is 100% a retro character. Pac-man is a retro character. Sonic is retro. Having newer installments doesn't erase this fact.

Last edited:

Quillion

Smash Hero
He was the primary antagonist in Sunshine who wielded a paintbrush and raised various creatures using it as well as using several mechs. As well, he got Mario arrested.
Zant did about as much as a villain around that time and had one game to his name as well, and no one wanted him.

Considering Wario's age (since introduction) and appearance originally on a Game Boy original title? He's pretty 'retro' by definition. Sure he had some spin offs but really only resided in spin-offs until getting his 'own' games again in Wario Ware.

I don't define 'retro' as characters not getting games anymore. Wario is 100% a retro character. Pac-man is a retro character. Sonic is retro. Having newer installments doesn't erase this fact.
Literally no one calls a character "retro" if their series has been continued past their generation.

Wigglerman

Smash Ace
Zant did about as much as a villain around that time and had one game to his name as well, and no one wanted him.

Literally no one calls a character "retro" if their series has been continued past their generation.
Literally someone does because I do. Literally. I do not consider Pac-man a modern character despite having games in this era. Because he isn't a product of 2019. He's originally a product of the 80's. So his new GAMES aren't retro but the character himself? Yes.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
But people did already want Junior, which should give you a hint that characters don't need to wait a full console generation for people to realize their staying power.

Sysreq

Smash Ace
I don't really see why characters need to "prove" themselves simply by having time pass (that doesn't prove anything) and I don't think Sakurai abides by that either considering the Rex situation. Where we got a costume for him as a literal apology for not being able to include him in the base game.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
I don't really see why characters need to "prove" themselves simply by having time pass (that doesn't prove anything) and I don't think Sakurai abides by that either considering the Rex situation. Where we got a costume for him as a literal apology for not being able to include him in the base game.
Yeah, both Spring Man and Rex became two of the most popular character wants less than a year after their debuts, and they're still holding strong even after their perceived disconfirmations. Why wait until the next console to include them when they've already proved themselves?

3DSNinja

Smash Lord
^true that. Honestly smash characters don't need to *prove themeselves* or whatever.

Arthur97

Smash Master
Literally someone does because I do. Literally. I do not consider Pac-man a modern character despite having games in this era. Because he isn't a product of 2019. He's originally a product of the 80's. So his new GAMES aren't retro but the character himself? Yes.
Then you aren't defining them the same way most people here probably are. Old does not equal retro when it comes to Smash. By your logic, most of the roster is "retro." The thing is, the retro reps are usually specifically representing something old, not an ongoing franchise.
The fact that "apology" came when discussing DLC (which they apparently hadn't done much of even Joker by that point) miffs me. Given how they seem to be doing it, they easily could have added Rex in later.

Now, that said, I do think third parties need to show they can stand the test of time. Who wants an addition which is going to age really poorly standing along side Sonic, Mega Man, and Pac-Man? It's a complaint I have over Joker, once they eventually move on from P5, how's he going to hold up?

Wigglerman

Smash Ace
Then you aren't defining them the same way most people here probably are. Old does not equal retro when it comes to Smash. By your logic, most of the roster is "retro." The thing is, the retro reps are usually specifically representing something old, not an ongoing franchise.

The fact that "apology" came when discussing DLC (which they apparently hadn't done much of even Joker by that point) miffs me. Given how they seem to be doing it, they easily could have added Rex in later.

Now, that said, I do think third parties need to show they can stand the test of time. Who wants an addition which is going to age really poorly standing along side Sonic, Mega Man, and Pac-Man? It's a complaint I have over Joker, once they eventually move on from P5, how's he going to hold up?
That'd be because people defining 'Retro' here are doing so arbitrarily. They're just making up a definition for this one situation, which is silly. And yeah, one could argue by my definition that the majority of the cast is 'retro' and I fail to see how it's incorrect. I simply think claiming a character as 'not retro' simply because a game was made recently is flawed logic. But whatever floats this communities boat, I suppose. Spose Retro can be added to the list of meaningless terms that people use to justify or disqualify additions to the roster along with 'Deserve', 'Relevant', etc.

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
Bowser Jr. was in only one mainline Mario game when Brawl was in development and didn't really have anything to set him apart from being "small fast Bowser". That's hardly enough longevity to be represented in Smash.
Not true. He was the main antagonist of the very first NSMB which came out in 2006 and secondary antagonist in Mario Galaxy in 2007. NSMB was in development back in 2004, and so was Galaxy. Brawl started development near the end of 2005 despite being announced 4 months prior.

Sunshine could easily have provided the brush mechanics with the different goop types (fire, electric, etc) and be used like a fighter wielding a wet mop. NSMB could easily provide the basic Koopa attacks like Shell-spinning and on-foot combat, and the lone boss fight from Galaxy would've justified any use of tech. He already had 3 games to pull from by the time Brawl came out; luckily nobody saw the Clown Car coming outside of an UpB, but as Olimar, ROB, and Piranha Plant show, they could make a moveset out of anything.

Arthur97

Smash Master
That'd be because people defining 'Retro' here are doing so arbitrarily. They're just making up a definition for this one situation, which is silly. And yeah, one could argue by my definition that the majority of the cast is 'retro' and I fail to see how it's incorrect. I simply think claiming a character as 'not retro' simply because a game was made recently is flawed logic. But whatever floats this communities boat, I suppose. Spose Retro can be added to the list of meaningless terms that people use to justify or disqualify additions to the roster along with 'Deserve', 'Relevant', etc.
Retro is used to describe a particular set of fighters, and most people when they refer to retro fighters, are using this or a similar definition. It's not a disqualifier as retro fighters are often added, but you need to realize the "lingo" even if you don't like it. Surely you can see the disconnect between fighters that are old and ones that are "retro." Do you mean to tell me there is nothing a bit different about the likes of the Ice Climbers, Mr. Game & Watch, R.O.B., and Duck Hunt? They are generally exceptions, not the rule.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
I understand wanting characters to prove they have staying power to be included, but Joker is no concern in that regard. Persona 5 sold amazingly worldwide, is very acclaimed and very quickly became a classic in the RPG genre. Plus Joker became incredibly iconic - Atlus played their cards just right and really struck the iron while it was hot, giving him tons of exposure. I'd argue that Joker is the most iconic JRPG protagonist since Cloud, and that's no small feat. That won't die out whenever Persona 6 onwards come out. If anything, they'll have to live up to the standard set by P5 and Joker.

It might be subjective, but there's modern characters that I think are very easy to tell have become icons. Tracer, 2B, Cuphead, Geralt, and Aloy are all examples that come to mind.

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
I understand wanting characters to prove they have staying power to be included, but Joker is no concern in that regard. Persona 5 sold amazingly worldwide, is very acclaimed and very quickly became a classic in the RPG genre. Plus Joker became incredibly iconic - Atlus played their cards just right and really struck the iron while it was hot, giving him tons of exposure. I'd argue that Joker is the most iconic JRPG protagonist since Cloud, and that's no small feat. That won't die out whenever Persona 6 onwards come out. If anything, they'll have to live up to the standard set by P5 and Joker.

It might be subjective, but there's modern characters that I think are very easy to tell have become icons. Tracer, 2B, Cuphead, Geralt, and Aloy are all examples that come to mind.
Also adding onto this, Bayonetta was far from iconic when she got in, especially compared to Sonic, Mega Man, Ryu, Snake and Pac-Man. She's not low-quality but she definitely wasn't a phenomenon.

Arthur97

Smash Master

I have issues saying anyone is iconic so soon. Especially given how rapidly things change these days. Joker has not proven himself. If he sticks around after his series moves on to the point Cloud has, then we can talk. Right now, you are speaking like it is a certainty when you can't possibly know for sure. Iconic is perhaps thrown around too loosely.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Also adding onto this, Bayonetta was far from iconic when she got in, especially compared to Sonic, Mega Man, Ryu, Snake and Pac-Man. She's not low-quality but she definitely wasn't a phenomenon.
Bayo's a weird case. Yeah, she wasn't an icon when she got in, and the notion that she won the ballot is very suspect, but she's basically a honorary Nintendo character, so I can accept her getting in on that basis.

After the acclaim and success of Bayonetta 2 however, I would almost dare use the word icon for her. At the very least, she's probably the second character that comes to mind when you think of her genre, and I don't think it's an exaggeration to say the success of it led to the revival of DMC as well.

However the argument could be made that Smash did play a big part in getting her to the level of recognizability she currently enjoys, so that's kind of a paradox. At the very least, she's a very successful shill pick, so while I won't begrudge anyone who didn't like it when she got in.
I have issues saying anyone is iconic so soon. Especially given how rapidly things change these days. Joker has not proven himself. If he sticks around after his series moves on to the point Cloud has, then we can talk. Right now, you are speaking like it is a certainty when you can't possibly know for sure. Iconic is perhaps thrown around too loosely.
I do feel very certain about it, the writing's on the wall of you ask me.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Thing about cult classics and followings, don't those things usually take time to form?

Either way, about the DK game production, would you rather they make it annually? They didn't even make NSMB yearly and people still complained.
Annually might be pushing it, but this extreme slow rate of releasing games isn't doing anything great either. I mean, DKC sells extremely well despite how less frequent we get a new game compared to the other big Nintendo titles. I wouldn't mind at all if they release new Donkey Kong games at the same rate as Zelda games honestly.

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
I made a Top 10 for this once:
main.png

1. PIRANHA PLANT

Impa_Naginata.png

2. IMPA

Recreated_waluigi_pose_render_by_nintega_dario-dbpzx26.png

3. WALUIGI

1200px-Dixie_Kong_-_Donkey_Kong_Country_Tropical_Freeze.png

4. DIXIE KONG

KSA_Bandana_Waddle_Dee.png

5. BANDANA WADDLE DEE

ToadSSBH.png

6. TOAD

Nibroc-Rock_Isaac_(Golden_Sun)-Smash_U.png

7. ISAAC

SpringMan-Render.png

8. SPRING MAN

79-793687_krystal-star-fox-png-crystal-super-smash-bros.jpg

9. KRYSTAL

(If anyone can make this image transparent, I'll kiss you!)

dah8qke-167dae03-bc06-495e-8396-01c0540207cd.png

10. PAPER MARIO

Last edited:

Calamitas

Smash Champion
I made a Top 10 for this once:
View attachment 243430
1. PIRANHA PLANT

View attachment 243431
2. IMPA

View attachment 243432
3. WALUIGI

View attachment 243433
4. DIXIE KONG

View attachment 243434
5. BANDANA WADDLE DEE

View attachment 243435
6. TOAD

View attachment 243436
7. ISAAC

View attachment 243437
8. SPRING MAN

View attachment 243438
9. KRYSTAL

(If anyone can make this image transparent, I'll kiss you!)

View attachment 243439
10. PAPER MARIO
You ever heard of a little thing called "spoiler tags"? Because holy hell these are huge cluttering images.

UserKev

Smash Champion
"Most" characters do need to stand the test of time or Smash would become stale. This wasn't really the case for Smash 64 since at the time, Smash was mostly just an experimental see what'll happen. But now it has became exactly that, a super stardom crossover. Smash's ultimate goal is familiarity.

Do I agree with the saying? Easily. My boy Ghirahim is a legit missed opportunity and Mimikyu is a gen 7 icon. Ghirahim absent still noticeably sting.

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
Regard
Bayo's a weird case. Yeah, she wasn't an icon when she got in, and the notion that she won the ballot is very suspect, but she's basically a honorary Nintendo character, so I can accept her getting in on that basis.

After the acclaim and success of Bayonetta 2 however, I would almost dare use the word icon for her. At the very least, she's probably the second character that comes to mind when you think of her genre, and I don't think it's an exaggeration to say the success of it led to the revival of DMC as well.

However the argument could be made that Smash did play a big part in getting her to the level of recognizability she currently enjoys, so that's kind of a paradox. At the very least, she's a very successful shill pick, so while I won't begrudge anyone who didn't like it when she got in.

I do feel very certain about it, the writing's on the wall of you ask me.
Regarding Bayo and her genre, it's a weird case. Dante is the face and pioneer of hack n slash games but up til recently Kratos was a huge part of the genre. The original God of War games were hugely inspired by Devil May Cry and reached heights that Bayonetta simply did not, but I'm not saying her games aren't good or inferior. Kratos was a brand unto himself and one of the faces of Sony; there were times when Kratos was the first thing that came to mind with Hack n Slashers and started eclipsing DMC, but with GoW4 there's been a genre shift. Thanks to the success and changes of that game and the overall history of those 3 franchises, I'd rank Devil May Cry as 1st Place, God of War as 2nd, and Bayonetta as 3rd. DMC got challenged by GoW and nearly usurped, but now that GoW has departed that leaves Bayo to take up the spot. Overall it's DMC, GoW, Bayo but the current rank is DMC, Bayo. GoW is in a different field.

Back on-topic, I don't want 1st Party characters to be ignored. Not because this is a Nintendo crossover first and foremost, but because there's still a lot of worthwhile characters from Nintendo's own studios. I simply like video games and grew up on Nintendo, SEGA, Sony AND Microsoft systems. My childhood and teens is with all of them. Just put in Dixie and I'll be cool with whoever else.

Arthur97

Smash Master
Annually might be pushing it, but this extreme slow rate of releasing games isn't doing anything great either. I mean, DKC sells extremely well despite how less frequent we get a new game compared to the other big Nintendo titles. I wouldn't mind at all if they release new Donkey Kong games at the same rate as Zelda games honestly.
Part of the problem is probably also Retro as they are currently tied up with Prime 4. Given how well they managed to bring DKC back, I'm not sure if another team handling it would be as good. Returns is probably one the best modern series revivals, but not everyone could pull that off.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Part of the problem is probably also Retro as they are currently tied up with Prime 4. Given how well they managed to bring DKC back, I'm not sure if another team handling it would be as good. Returns is probably one the best modern series revivals, but not everyone could pull that off.
A next developer probably wouldn't be able to handle a DKC platformer like that, no you're right. And indeed the timing isn't great either with Retro doing Metroid, and having to start from scratch even. But we don't have to get platformer games only. I'd love to have a few spin off titles, and maybe even a remake of say, the original Donkey Kong Country (which is also of course a platformer) or a total new 3D game with overworld exploration and beat em up elements? Maybe a small spin off from DKC Returns platforming, staring only Diddy and Dixie with traditional Rare styled tag teaming? Something on the eShop like specific Kong only levels, or Rambi or mine cart levels alone?

Top Bottom