• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Final Two Characters: The Ambiguous Situation Befallen Upon Us

How will this go down?

• Both characters will be disappointing

Votes: 9 12.5%
  • Both characters will be piss-off hype

Votes: 9 12.5%
  • One'll be hype, the other disappointing

Votes: 19 26.4%
  • I'm just as stumped as you are, dawg.

Votes: 24 33.3%
  • Don't really care either way.

Votes: 11 15.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gorgonzales

Smash Ace
Because of that Spirit Event I don't expect any new Pokemon character being added.
A couple of PNGs probably isn't gonna stop the CEOs of this juggernaut franchise from squeezing a bit more relevance out of their latest games. That spirit event had... what? 7 Pokemon? Out of the 90 new ones Galar has to offer? That's more than enough for a spirit board.

Last edited:

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
A couple of PNGs probably isn't gonna stop the CEOs of this juggernaut franchise from squeezing a bit more relevance out of their latest games. That spirit event had... what? 7 Pokemon? Out of the 90 new ones Galar has to offer? That's more than enough for a spirit board.
Except Three Houses did not even have a Spirit Event at all despite the fact that one could be created. It's simply too late for a Gen 8 Pokemon now, with all focus shifted to Gen 4 because of BDSP and Legends: Arceus.

Sage of Ice

Smash Ace
NNID
SageofIce
Except Three Houses did not even have a Spirit Event at all despite the fact that one could be created. It's simply too late for a Gen 8 Pokemon now, with all focus shifted to Gen 4 because of BDSP and Legends: Arceus.
maybe we'll finally get Lucar- oh no wait

i still think 8 is most likely cause it's still the newest original set, but personally i'd be much happier to see them use one of the starters from Legends. decidueye redemption arc? samurott finally giving unova a rep? typhlosion so that we can uhh... i dunno what to add here, but typhlosion rules

JOJONumber691

Smash Lord
All I'm going to say is that I think Ayumi is going to be Challenger Pack 11. As for Challenger Pack 10, I'm going to list off the Characters I feel are most likely:
Chell (Portal Series; Thank those Projectile Glitches for this one)
Dovahkiin (Skyrim; Skyrim is an icon of Modern Gaming, and he could have a surprisingly unique moveset considering he's from a Western RPG)
Frisk (Undertale; Thank the sans Mii Costume, popularity, importance, and it's ease of use for this one)
Anyone from NAMCO (The Developer literally develops the game, that is all)
Jonesy (Fortnite; Insert Money gif here. Also Tencent I guess lol)
Sora (Kingdom Hearts Franchise; another one here mostly due to Popularity amongst Smash Fans and that Projectile Glitch working perfectly with Magnet)
Shun'ei (The King of Fighters Franchise; SNK is easy to work with and I could see that giving them a Second Character)
Shovel Knight (Shovel Knight; Nintendo likes tis game and it could act as a great cross promotion for both series)
Alucard (Castlevania Series; Konami's Most Active IP and could bring in a very interesting moveset)
That's my list. I'm probably going to be wrong, but I feel these are the Fighters with the Strongest Chances of ending up as Challenger Pack 10.

Last edited:

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
I’m doing a big write up on why I think both are the pick, but right now my gut says Crash and Rean Schwarzer. One big pick and one smaller pick imo is what we should expect.

Also if the bonus slot is a thing, I am guessing Decidueye.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
A couple of PNGs probably isn't gonna stop the CEOs of this juggernaut franchise from squeezing a bit more relevance out of their latest games.
The logic is less founded in that and moreso “why would they drop the spirits in the first place if a character was coming later?” A precedent founded in and heavily justified by the lack of Three Houses spirits in FP1...

Granted I don’t actually think this disconfirms a Gen 8 Pokemon in and of itself and have other reasons to doubt it. If promoting Gen 8 was that much of a priority, they had several opportunities to do so - both June and October held character reveals and also the releases of SWSH’s DLC expansions with no Gen 8 Smash reveal in sight. To parallel Byleth once again, they synced up perfectly with a TH expansion released Jan 2020. Now Gen 8 is over and priorities have shifted to Gen 4 remakes.

Again, not a disconfirmation, but just would be extremely odd to hold off striking that iron until after it’s gone frozen and Pokemon’s promotional material and efforts have already moved forward. With such a volatile series, a Gen 8 Pokemon would arguably feel outdated on arrival. Meanwhile Gen 3 and Gen 5 missed their opportunities for similar reasons and that was that.

Bottom line there are several precedents and obstacles at play going actively against Gen 8 that “Pokemon is big” may not be able to save them from.

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Let's see here:
  • Based on precedent, E3 usually has at least one heavy-hitter to make the crowd go wild. How heavy they are or where they hit varies, so there's a fair bit of freedom here
  • Also based off of precedent, E3 tends to have multiple reveals, assuming we count returning veterans as a reveal alongside newcomers
  • Lastly, E3 has still had some smaller/surprise characters, with Palutena being the example cited the most
At this point I'm expecting a dual reveal, with one character being the main attraction and the other being a bit more low-key. Who knows who they'll be exactly, how big or small they'll be, or what order they'll be in.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I’m doing a big write up on why I think both are the pick, but right now my gut says Crash and Rean Schwarzer. One big pick and one smaller pick imo is what we should expect.

Also if the bonus slot is a thing, I am guessing Decidueye.
who’s that second one?

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
maybe we'll finally get Lucar- oh no wait

i still think 8 is most likely cause it's still the newest original set, but personally i'd be much happier to see them use one of the starters from Legends. decidueye redemption arc? samurott finally giving unova a rep? typhlosion so that we can uhh... i dunno what to add here, but typhlosion rules
Legends trainer with Cyndaquill, Dewott, and Decidueye?

Franauts

Smash Cadet
Today, we're talking about Fighters Pass 2, or rather, this peculiar situation we're in. Lemme explain:

Historically, Super Smash Bros content waves (Such as base game or DLC), have always been low-key (Some call it underwhelming) reveals at the end of those waves:

• Smash 4 DLC: Corrin and Bayonetta
  • Ultimate base game: Ken, Incineroar and Piranha Plant
  • Fighters Pass 1: Byleth
This (low-key reveal at the end thing) comes since Brawl, the last reveal in the Smashdojo before Brawl's release was Olimar, i think (correct me if i´m wrong). Similarly, Shulk was the last one from Smash4, I mean, back in the day Xenoblade was a cult RPG, a hidden gem from Wii, praised, but not so popular, is the equivalent of getting Ayumi Tachibana, Euden or something like that at a Final Ultimate Direct.

At this point I already had my most wanted in the game, so I don't care who else enters, but if one of the last 2 is Neku that would be cool.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
This (low-key reveal at the end thing) comes since Brawl, the last reveal in the Smashdojo before Brawl's release was Olimar, i think (correct me if i´m wrong).
Technically it could be seen all the way back in Melee, with its clones.

2006ToyotaTacoma

Smash Journeyman
At this point, I'm starting to believe that we're getting a double reveal at E3, with one larger, hype character as CP10 and a smaller-scale character for CP11, with both being 3rd-parties.

Because of that I'm just gonna lay out some guess pools for each possible fighter:

CP10:
Master Chief (Halo)
Crash
Dante (Devil May Cry)
Chosen Undead (Dark Souls)
Kazuma Kiryu (Yakuza)
Tails (Sonic the Hedgehog)
Rayman
Chun-Li (Street Fighter)

CP11:
Arle Nadja (Puyo Puyo)
Amaterasu (Okami)
Phoenix Wright (Ace Attorney)
Sol Badguy (Guilty Gear)
Rean Schwarzer (Trails of)
Adol Christin (Ys)

Now watch none of these characters consist of the final two lol.

ZenythSmash

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2552-4344-0495
You know it's NOT about the spirits right? Because everyone knows they could follow up on that with more Galar/Generation 8 Pokemon.
It's more the fact Pokemon gotten several promotional events compared to the fighters that did get one afterwards and the recent releases and series that got on without a fighter. It's more of a planning case for whenever they probably don't have something planned later.

Pokemon was given 2 Spirit events for SWSH and LGPE, 2 tourney events to celebrate SWSH's release and Pokemon's 25th Anniversary, and SSBU x Pokemon was seen on top of getting those Team Rocket costumes.

Two of Capcom juggernaut series got passed over for events, both Resident Evil and Monster Hunter respectively with Sakurai admitting he wanted to promote Rise as soon it was releasing.
Ring Fit Adventure, Astral Chain, and Paper Mario: Origami King, all successfully sold switch titles, were slapped with events.
Animal Crossing New Horizons, a title that's been doing gangbusters on the Switch as of late, ended up getting it's own spirit event, but we already know that Isabelle was already tied to New Horizons promotion years ago, so another AC rep wasn't that likely for DLC anyways.

I am still expecting for a Generation 8 Pokemon regardless, but as someone who doesn't like to treat everything as a lock, it's definitely something to keep note of.
As for Let's Go's case, they would have just put in Melmetal or some popular Kanto Pokemon and called it a day in Fighter Pass 1/2, but they never bothered lol.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
You know it's NOT about the spirits right? Because everyone knows they could follow up on that with more Galar/Generation 8 Pokemon.
It's more the fact Pokemon gotten several promotional events compared to the fighters that did get one afterwards and the recent releases and series that got on without a fighter. It's more of a planning case for whenever they probably don't have something planned later.

Pokemon was given 2 Spirit events for SWSH and LGPE, 2 tourney events to celebrate SWSH's release and Pokemon's 25th Anniversary, and SSBU x Pokemon was seen on top of getting those Team Rocket costumes.

Two of Capcom juggernaut series got passed over for events, both Resident Evil and Monster Hunter respectively with Sakurai admitting he wanted to promote Rise as soon it was releasing.
Ring Fit Adventure, Astral Chain, and Paper Mario: Origami King, all successfully sold switch titles, were slapped with events.
Animal Crossing New Horizons, a title that's been doing gangbusters on the Switch as of late, ended up getting it's own spirit event, but we already know that Isabelle was already tied to New Horizons promotion years ago, so another AC rep wasn't that likely for DLC anyways.

I am still expecting for a Generation 8 Pokemon regardless, but as someone who doesn't like to treat everything as a lock, it's definitely something to keep note of.
As for Let's Go's case, they would have just put in Melmetal or some popular Kanto Pokemon and called it a day in Fighter Pass 1/2, but they never bothered lol.
yeah isabelle was added for her own merits, her reveal just timed in nicely

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
Purely hypothetical, but:
I had a random epiphany when thinking about hypothetically, if Sora is revealed as the last DLC character. Again, this is completely hypothetical and I don't think it has anything to do with his chances, I just think that if it DOES end up being the case, it'd be hilarious.

Counting the Aegis sisters as separate characters, and also including Piranha Plant as one of the DLC characters despite not being a part of any of the fighter passes, if Sora is confirmed as the final DLC character, that would make him the 13th overall DLC character in Ultimate. And what version update would he consequently be included in as a result? 13.0.

Again, this is all completely hypothetical and I don't think such thematics affect his chances, but I still think that it's a funny idea.
If this did happen (and again, this is purely hypothetical), that'd bring the overall DLC fighter count to:
  1. :ultpiranha:
  2. :ultjoker:
  3. :ulthero:
  4. :ultbanjokazooie:
  5. :ult_terry:
  6. :ultbyleth:
  7. :ultminmin
  8. :ultsteve:
  9. :ultsephiroth:
  10. :ultpyra:
  11. Mythra
  12. Whoever CP10 is
  13. Sora
I guess in this case, KH and big-brain moves are never far behind.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Purely hypothetical, but:

If this did happen (and again, this is purely hypothetical), that'd bring the overall DLC fighter count to:
  1. :ultpiranha:
  2. :ultjoker:
  3. :ulthero:
  4. :ultbanjokazooie:
  5. :ult_terry:
  6. :ultbyleth:
  7. :ultminmin
  8. :ultsteve:
  9. :ultsephiroth:
  10. :ultpyra:
  11. Mythra
  12. Whoever CP10 is
  13. Sora
I guess in this case, KH and big-brain moves are never far behind.
i seriously doubt normua got to decide which number sora would be

Pinguino21v

Smash Ace
As for my expectation, I think people expecting another big third party will be disappointed. I don't see any of the usually discussed big third party character at all, even in the context of E3. All those Crash, Sora, Dante or Master Chief are out to me.

A more "minor" third party can happen however, or at least closer to Nintendo third party. I strongly believe Phoenix Wright to have a chance. Maybe Rayman or a Tales of character. But if there is one more third party, it's between those and no one else IMO.

What I think to be another strong possibility, however, is we will get two long time requested characters to close the game. This second pass has really a "give a second chance" vibe, and it has actually been stated as such by Sakurai. It won't be as "hyped" as some here would like, but it will be nicely received. And in this category, there is one name that is indubitably at the top, and it's Isaac. Waluigi is also a close second.

It's also the wishful thinking of someone who didn't have any of his favorites in this Smash Bros, but, to me, the last two characters will be Phoenix Wright and Isaac.

GolisoPower

Smash Master
................so, is this thread closed or what? Do we rename it to the Final Character?
I guess I should close it now. E3's come and gone with, surprisingly, only one reveal.

Hey, mods, can you close this thread, please?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom