• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Final Five DLC Characters

SvartWolf

Smash Champion
My prediction at the beginning of this thread is outdated, now I don't really know what we will get, there are a lot of new factors involved.

Anyway, I think that a Zelda newcomer is very likely.
I think that the most likely Zelda newcomers are either Tetra (Nintendo occasionally used her or Toon Zelda for promotional material and I could definitely see them wanting her in) or a champion from Zelda Breath of the Wild (the most likely IMO are Mipha and Revali, but for some reason I think that Revali is the most likely of all of them).
There is also a remote possibility of getting Ganon, but it's just a remote possibility (not impossible though).

I don't know what to think about the leaked characters. Steve, SE rep, etc... I'm not sure.

For some reason, I'm starting to get very pessimistic about a Rhythm Heaven rep. It's probably not going to happen.

Pokèmon is still very likely, even though the roster has many of them already. It could either be Eevee (because of Let's Go Eevee), or a gen 8 Pokèmon. But there is also a small possibility that, since Incineroar is already a new Pokèmon rep, they will skip Pokèmon for DLC.

About Mario... It would be safe to assume that we won't get any Mario newcomer since we already got Daisy and Piranha Plant, but since Nintendo is selecting the characters, I think that Toad has a big chance of being a DLC. Maybe we will also get a character to promote the new Luigi's Mansion, and that could either be King Boo or E. Gadd.

There is a chance that one of those DLC characters will be a Kirby newcomer, though it's a small chance. I think that Bandana Dee or Waddle Dee is unlikely for several reason (but not impossible), my guess is that it's either Marx or Magolor, and I think Magolor is more likely, especially with the Lor Starcutter/Another Dimension as stage.

Donkey Kong....................... I don't know. Dixie Kong is an important character and all, but I'm not sure, I can see Nintendo wanting Funky Kong instead because they like him a lot, look at Mario Kart Wii. (on a side note, why we can have Donkey Kong Country characters in Mario Kart but not Warioland or Wario Ware characters since Wario is in too? Come on, Captain Syrup would work extremely well into a pirate ship shaped kart).
The chance of getting a DKC character as DLC is about 50%, and while Dixie is the one who makes most sense, we can't really predict who Nintendo would prefer.

Metroid Prime 4 exists, and everyone has been speculating that Sylux will get an important role in the game, since he's been teased in several games as a cliffhanger. It's not guaranteed that Sylux will be in MP4, but if he is in, he is automatically a good candidate for Smash DLC. In case he's not, I doubt we'll get a Metroid rep at all.

There is a possibility that one of the DLC characters comes from a new game that's still not announced and we know nothing about, so it's impossible to predict.

I really can't predict anything about third parties, I just don't know.

---

As you see, the situation is very confused, there are a lot of possible options, all of them being vague and based on pure speculation with absolutely no informations in hands.
The only thing I'm a bit confident into is that we're likely getting a Zelda character, and that's either Tetra or a Champion (both is extremely unlikely).
Maybe Toad too.
But on a second thought, getting a Zelda BOTW stage would mean getting another Zelda BOTW stage, and we already have one in the game. While it's not impossible (one example is Mute City and Big Blue in Melee coming from the same game, F-Zero X), it makes the chance weaker... but I can totally see a stage on the top of a divine beast, especially the one related to the eventual Newcomer champion. The same applies for Tetra and the Windwaker stage already in the game, but I think that getting a new WW stage is less likely.

Now, just for fun, I'll do an updated prediction, but as I said earlier in this post, the situation is too much confused and it's impossible to do an actual prediction based on the small amount of informations we have.

In no order:

-Character: Revali (or Mipha)
-Stage: Divine Beast Vah Medoh (or Vah Ruta)

-Character: Toad (with Toadette as alt)
-Stage: something from Captain Toad Treasure Tracker

-Character: Magolor
-Stage: Another Dimension

-Character: Dixie Kong (or Funky Kong)
-Stage: something from Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze (or updated Jungle Hijinxs)

-Character: Gen 8 Pokèmon (or Eevee)
-Stage: something from the Gen 8 games (or something from Let's Go Pikachu/Eevee)

Sylux can replace one of the characters in the list if he gets an important role in Metroid Prime 4.
One or more third party characters can replace some of the characters in the list as well if added.
even with nintendo doing the picks.. i still think that at the very minium 2 or 3 of this characters gonna be 3rd parties. Yeah, nintendo can choose to promote their own games, but i feel that Nintendo biggest interest is making smash ultimate as big as they can so it can cement as on eof the biggest exclusives ever, to help further promote the Switch as a console, this is probably teh main reason why i think that steve is likely, even withouth all teh leaks, and why a super popular SE character may also happen. or why they may go for something like crash bandicot, or a mobile game phenomena Basically teh nintendo fanbase and teh smash bros fanbase are already sold on the game, so keep exclusively appealing to them seems counterproductive if they want to keep growing.

as for first parties selection, seems solid. maybe a rythm heaven character and a xenoblade character (elma with xenobalde chronicles X port?) also have a decent chance too.

Mariomaniac45213

The Nintendo Villain main!
Switch FC
SW 5604 9250 9133
even with nintendo doing the picks.. i still think that at the very minium 2 or 3 of this characters gonna be 3rd parties. Yeah, nintendo can choose to promote their own games, but i feel that Nintendo biggest interest is making smash ultimate as big as they can so it can cement as on eof the biggest exclusives ever, to help further promote the Switch as a console,.
It already is the biggest crossover ever in gaming and one of Switch's biggest exclusives/killer apps without the addition of additional 3rd parties characters. Part of me feels Nintendo is choosing the characters to prevent more 3rd parties honestly. Think about it the licensing costs, contracts, music rights, and amiibo production costs/rights is probably getting astronomical. If they keep adding 3rd parties at some point it just gets much more expensive than need be. Nintendo knows they still have quite a few first party characters that would sell and honestly most people will buy the DLC regardless of who's added just to have a complete roster/new content.

Think about it we have Castlevania, Street Fighter, Sonic the Hedgehog, Final Fantasy, Mega Man, Pac-Man, Monster Hunter, Metal Gear Solid, Shovel Knight, Bomberman, Shantae, Rabbids, Fatal Frame, Virtua Fighter, Bayonetta. Already represented in the game in some way whether through playable characters, music, assist trophies, spirits, world of light bosses. I mean the amount of money Nintendo must have spent to obtain all these characters is probably ridiculous. Not to mention Tekken, Tales of, Bit Trip, and Rayman were all reperesented in Smash 4 through trophies and Mii Costumes and we don't know if the Heihachi, Lloyd Irving Mii costumes returned and we know that trophies are gone but maybe Commander Video and Rayman were converted into spirits.

Iko MattOrr

Smash Champion
NNID
Iko_MattOrr
even with nintendo doing the picks.. i still think that at the very minium 2 or 3 of this characters gonna be 3rd parties. Yeah, nintendo can choose to promote their own games, but i feel that Nintendo biggest interest is making smash ultimate as big as they can so it can cement as on eof the biggest exclusives ever, to help further promote the Switch as a console, this is probably teh main reason why i think that steve is likely, even withouth all teh leaks, and why a super popular SE character may also happen. or why they may go for something like crash bandicot, or a mobile game phenomena Basically teh nintendo fanbase and teh smash bros fanbase are already sold on the game, so keep exclusively appealing to them seems counterproductive if they want to keep growing.

as for first parties selection, seems solid. maybe a rythm heaven character and a xenoblade character (elma with xenobalde chronicles X port?) also have a decent chance too.
Yeah, I know that.
I excluded third parties because I'm unable to predict them and I'm not sure if the leaks are real.
I wrote that one or more of those characters can be replaced with third parties.

I agree about the possibility of a Xenoblade character, though I'm not into the series and I don't know anything about it.
I like Rhythm Heaven (and Karate Joe is one of my most wanted characters) but I have a bad feeling about it, don't know why.

Last edited:

3DSNinja

Smash Lord
What I want for DLC
1. Geno
2. Bandana Waddle Dee
3.Banjo-Kazooie
4. Hollow Knight
5. Shadow

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings

I'd say that's wishful thinking. One, maybe. Two to three? Probably not. Remember, Nintendo has to license out those characters including the music (probably the most expensive part). As I mentioned earlier, Nintendo sees it as Smash promoting their IPs. If anything, they are more inclined to pick their own characters. Moreover, if you look at the popular choices in Japan, almost all of them are Nintendo characters. There isn't a lot of overlap in terms of guest characters anymore.

Youre last point is the weirdest. If the Nintendo and Smash Bros fanbase are already on board, why not pick the characters that benefit you the most then. You don't need to convince them to get it, so add characters that expand the reach of your other products.

SAMation

Smash Journeyman
My 5 Likely Picks:
1) Slime
2) Steve
3) Euden
4) Bandana Dee
5) Waluigi

To explain my Waluigi pick, Sakurai tweeted on November 6th that the DLC lineup is “now complete.” It’s very likely by Nintendo being the ones to decide DLC, they’ve seen a huge boost in requests for Waluigi and he could’ve been a late decision by Nintendo.

Bandana Dee is also very likely, I’m sure the ballot results were shared with Nintendo and they saw how many votes he got (let’s be honest, he’d probably be pretty high up there, at least in the top 20). Sakurai is a humble dude and doesn’t wanna include too many new fighters from Kirby, but Nintendo probably requested he make Bandana Dee dlc anyways due to popularity.

Euden is a strong possibility thanks to Nintendo’s work with Cygames on their mobile game Dragalia Lost. This isn’t because I want him in the game, I just thought Euden was a possibility beforehand and after playing Dragalia I like the character now. Nintendo has been doing plenty of ads and promotion for Dragalia, makes sense to advertise it with a character in smash.

Steve is a good possibility thanks to Verges comments on Minecraft content. May or may not happen, but Nintendo definitely would see the potential money made off a Minecraft character getting in. Minecraft has proved its worth over the last ten years and it still stays strong with a high user base to this day, lots of people would love to play a Minecraft character in smash. The smash community might not like it, but alooot of people outside it would.

Slime from Dragon Quest. This is basically my pessimistic choice of a SE Rep, as putting my hopes in Geno now would make me too sad if he doesn’t get in. Nintendo making the choices does make me feel like Geno will be pushed aside for another character from Square who’s more profitable and well-recognized in Nintendo’s eyes, and Dragon Quest has been pushed plenty of times on Nintendo’s platforms. Sora is also a strong possibility, but Nintendo making the list has to put me in the pessimistic mindset until we start seeing the first one or two dlcs.

Nemuresu

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3325-3200-4137
I don't have to paint Verge in any way. Great example: Verge earlier this year said there would be two Castlevania games for the Nintendo Switch, a new game and a collection. This was after people assumed Konami would show two games at E3. However, it turned out people misunderstood Eventme (which I believe was the name of the scheduler) which made it seem like there was two games. Konami only announced a Sports game at E3.
That's not a flaw at all. In fact, that's a misquote you're showing. Here's what he actually said:
https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/189706-nintendo-switch/76678006?jumpto=4#4
Castelvania is making a comeback with two new titles.
I believe each are multiplatform releases (one may be Switch exclusive but haven't been able to verify that). One is a new title and the other a collection of classic Castlevania games, with Symphony of the Night being the headline game.

I heard a few months back that Wii's Castlevania: The Adventure ReBirth would be coming to Switch, so it's probably part of that collection of classic Castlevania games.
But I'm not entirely sure if there's connection between my hearing that back then and this info pretty recently about these Castlevania games.
But this info about the two Castlevania games come from someone mighty reputable (who also has heard the same Smash leaks that I have, in case you are curious) so I have no reason to not believe them first and foremost.
Meaning, put that information in front of Castlevania: The Adventure ReBirth re-releasing on Switch. Though there is a possible overlap between the two things and part of the compilation.
As you can see, there's no mention of said games being announced at E3, and the whole thing about the compilation coming to Switch was just speculation on his behalf.

What Verge's cult like to do is they like to ignore every time he's wrong and only focus on when he's right.
Nobody does. It just so happens that those times are irrelevant here. Not to mention, Vergeben hasn't been wrong about anything in the last five months or so.

Verge also said K Rool wasn't going to be in
Nice twisting of events there. Here's what actually happened:
Vergeben was speaking privately with loz18 about stuff he heard regarding Smash, then he brought up something he heard about no new DK characters, but he wasn't sure of it. loz18 decided to leak said private message for no good reason at all. Then the community had a meltdown (as they always do). And after some talks with other guys, Vergeben found out that the guy who told him the DK stuff was just an idiot making up things. And all of that happened before the 8.8.18 Direct.
https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/234547-super-smash-bros-ultimate/76878406?jumpto=151#151

By the way, do you know who was also saying Isabelle was going to be an echo? The community.
Yeah right, stealing ideas from the community. Then where did Incineroar come from? These characters aren't made in one week (even though that's clearly what Nintendo tries to make things look like with the DLC).
Need some more info on the subject? A guy who has been shown to talk more privately with Vergeben, knows as Listf** has proven that the whole thing about Isabelle being an echo was bull****, and had nothing to do with what their main sources talked about.

There is still no Minecraft content or SE Rep. Why should I believe those weren't wrong?
Because they can still happen, that's why.

Your point on DLC is off as Sakurai stated the Line-up was complete after the Direct. How did Verge know about Minecraft if the DLC wasn't decided back in June.
Because again, these characters aren't done in a week. You really think Piranha Plant just started days before the 11.1.18 Direct? Because it wasn't.

Look at Nintendo's titles. Notice how there is almost never any crossover content. Mario Maker had over 100 costumes. Of those, there were three third party amiibo and the cat from Monster Hunter. However, there was also Babymetal, the host of CX Gamecenter, and anime character, characters from Famitsu and Corocoro, the GLA (again) and Hello Kitty. If there are characters from other companies (such as Mario Hoops or the Mario Kart Arcade game) it was made by another company, not Nintendo.
Don't know why you bring Mario Maker if the game was made by Nintendo. The game still made deals to get all sorts of special guest costumes. Of course, Smash won't have characters as absurd as the Nisekoi girl, but that doesn't mean they can't get guest characters.

Nintendo see Smash as pushing THEIR IPs, not the IPs of video games or of other companies. So if Nintendo is picking the DLC, do you think they'll push Minecraft, a series they don't own, they have to pay Microsoft for, and one consumers can get on other system, or ARMS, a game they own, they make money off of and is exclusive to the Switch.
Yes! Because Sakurai turned two of the more obvious ARMs picks into an Assist Trophie and a Mii Costume respectively. And he still got to pick characters from a list Nintendo gave him.
https://twitter.com/Sora_Sakurai/status/1059958604818657282
Super Smash Bros. Ultimate’s DLC line-up is now complete. This time the selection was made entirely by Nintendo. I decide if we can create a fighter based on their selection, then come up with the plan.
What I dont understand about these people who follow Verge is they get really upset when you point out he might be wrong. He's wrong about most of the games he talks about,
Like Injustice 2, SoulCalibur VI, Jump Force, FighterZ on Switch, the new Samurai Shodown and Castlevania Requiem, right? Oh right, he never said Geralt was going to appear in SCVI, so I can't use that game, because apparently, if something happens that makes no conflict with what's said, yet it wasn't called, then the leaker must be wrong.

There is no Minecraft content in Smash. There was not another SE Rep. He said these would be in the game. They aren't. Explain why I shouldn't believe these are just wrong statements.
Because the game isn't out yet. We don't have any confirmation on all the spirits available, and that's where Minecraft can still happen. Not to mention, there was the whole issue about Square being mad about a Smash leak, but nobody knew which one was, so we know there is a Square character in the works.

But then again, I'm talking with the same guy who thought the ESRB leaks were fake, believed the whole "Photoshopped Little Mac" meme and still finds guest characters to be some kind of cancer to Smash; so maybe I should probably stop too.[/QUOTE]

Last edited:

Wiinner159

Smash Hero
NNID
Make a guess...
3DS FC
2251-6491-9042
May I remind you all that this thread's purpose is not to debate the legitimacy of the Vergeban leak. The purpose of this thread is to discuss what you want or think will be in the 5 DLC content packs that will be released for Super Smash Bros Ultimate. This includes characters, stages, and possibly music tracks where applicable. Discussion amongst individual's guesses/hopes are completely 100% acceptable, but debating whether or not a leaker and what they've said are in is valid or not is not acceptable. You want to put in picks due to them being a part of a leak? That's fine, but unnecessarily getting into debates over whose reasons are correct should be taken elsewhere.
Thank you

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
I tried making some guesses on the final DLC based on Nintendo Land.

1. Ganon
2. Waluigi
3. Takamaru
4. Balloon Fighter
5. Toad

Door Key Pig

Smash Lord
I don't have to paint Verge in any way. Great example: Verge earlier this year said there would be two Castlevania games for the Nintendo Switch, a new game and a collection. This was after people assumed Konami would show two games at E3. However, it turned out people misunderstood Eventme (which I believe was the name of the scheduler) which made it seem like there was two games. Konami only announced a Sports game at E3.

What Verge's cult like to do is they like to ignore every time he's wrong and only focus on when he's right. Verge also said K Rool wasn't going to be in and Isabelle was an echo. By the way, do you know who was also saying Isabelle was going to be an echo? The community. Where do you think Verge got that from? I'll give him credit that he got somethings right, but if there was anything that was hard to guess like Richter or Daisy or Everyone Was Here, he didn't say anything about it. I think people give him to much credit because they focus on what was right. There is still no Minecraft content or SE Rep. Why should I believe those weren't wrong?

Your point on DLC is off as Sakurai stated the Line-up was complete after the Direct. How did Verge know about Minecraft if the DLC wasn't decided back in June.

Hardware is different than software. Funny how no one mentions the possibility of a Fortnite character as Nintendo has a bundle for that game.

Look at Nintendo's titles. Notice how there is almost never any crossover content. Mario Maker had over 100 costumes. Of those, there were three third party amiibo and the cat from Monster Hunter. However, there was also Babymetal, the host of CX Gamecenter, and anime character, characters from Famitsu and Corocoro, the GLA (again) and Hello Kitty. If there are characters from other companies (such as Mario Hoops or the Mario Kart Arcade game) it was made by another company, not Nintendo.

If you need more proof, here is the statement from Nintendo themselves
The Smash Bros. series titles are special to our company because it is the place where the characters of Nintendo's main titles come together. Many consumers discover Nintendo games they never knew about through the Smash Bros. series, so if Smash Bros. is spread wide across our consumer base, it will, by extension, also enhance the appeal of our overall IP

Nintendo see Smash as pushing THEIR IPs, not the IPs of video games or of other companies. So if Nintendo is picking the DLC, do you think they'll push Minecraft, a series they don't own, they have to pay Microsoft for, and one consumers can get on other system, or ARMS, a game they own, they make money off of and is exclusive to the Switch. It's not hard to see what Nintendo would do. The roster has been decided by Sakurai so saying "BUT THERE ARE GUEST CHARACTERS ALREADY" means nothing because Nintendo didn't pick them.

What I dont understand about these people who follow Verge is they get really upset when you point out he might be wrong. He's wrong about most of the games he talks about, and he often copies other leaks (which probably happened for Smash as Ridley was talked about by a lot of people). But point this out and the white knights must come and slay the evil trolls who besmirch his honor. So here is what I'll close on. There is no Minecraft content in Smash. There was not another SE Rep. He said these would be in the game. They aren't. Explain why I shouldn't believe these are just wrong statements.
tbf I think he never said K. Rool wasn't happening?

But yeah, it should be noted how limited Square representation is currently (no ATs, no known spirits, no CGI appearances), maybe even if some of that can be chalked up to music composer problems or "just representing Final Fantasy Seven".

xzx

Smash Lord
Based on research, I think these 5 are very likely:

1) Steve (Minecraft)
2) Dragon Quest character
3) Bandai Namco character
4) (sigh...) Fire Emblem Three Houses character
5) Gen VIII Pokémon

Door Key Pig

Smash Lord

1) Steve (Minecraft)
5) Gen VIII Pokémon
Wow that'd be boring.

praline

the white witch
Switch FC
6178 82674988

1) Steve (Minecraft)
5) Gen VIII Pokémon
I’d totally be ok with this. Especially if the Bandai Namco character was Nightmare and the Three Houses character was Edelgard.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Here's my guess. No particular order.

(1) Sora/Dragon Quest rep
(2) Steve
(3) BotW Champion
(4) MP4 rep
(5) Gen VIII Pokemon

Even though third-parties are all the rage, people need to remember that these guys aren't free. Nintendo has to shell out money for these guys, making their profit significantly smaller than if they were to choose a first-party. I don't feel comfortable assuming anything more than a SE rep and Steve, and I'm not even sure how I feel about the latter and his odds of getting in.

I think a Gen VIII Pokemon or a MP4 would be the only characters from upcoming titles Nintendo would be concerned about promoting. Gen VIII because Pokemon is almost always going to be a huge seller during the holidays, and MP4 because it seems like it'll be a big budget title that could use any promotion it can get, as Metroid had a shaky history with sales. I suppose Three Houses could get a rep, but I doubt Nintendo would prioritize it over the other two. There's not that much on the line with Three Houses, and it'll probably be fine without the promotion.

And lastly, a BotW Champion. More bias than anything else, but it does make sense. The Switch started it's life with BotW, and Nintendo continues to make money from it to this day. If there was any Zelda character on that suggestion list (and I think the Champions would be our best bet), I'd hope that Sakurai would pick them, if only to throw a bone to Zelda fans who hav gotten a unique newcomer in quite some time.

Oh, and a honorable mention to BWD and Elma. Both would be great choices for DLC, but I couldn't think of a reason why Nintendo would want to choose those two over other characters. Elma's game has long passed, and BWD isn't really tied down to a single Kirby game.

Last edited:

SvartWolf

Smash Champion
at everyonhe predicting Waluigi.. while it wold been a posible marketing team decision, i feel Waluigi actually was pretty much disconfirmed by reggie.. in a similar way than when sakurai said to not expect too much newcomers.

While didn't ouright said it... kinda attempted to heavily imply it in a way to temper potential mis-hype.

thirsty-pocket

Smash Ace
at everyonhe predicting Waluigi.. while it wold been a posible marketing team decision, i feel Waluigi actually was pretty much disconfirmed by reggie.. in a similar way than when sakurai said to not expect too much newcomers.

While didn't ouright said it... kinda attempted to heavily imply it in a way to temper potential mis-hype.
Can you elaborate?

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
tbf I think he never said K. Rool wasn't happening?

But yeah, it should be noted how limited Square representation is currently (no ATs, no known spirits, no CGI appearances), maybe even if some of that can be chalked up to music composer problems or "just representing Final Fantasy Seven".
I remember there was talk that one developer wasn't fully onboard (not sure if it was a Sakurai comment or a rumor). It seems pretty clear it was Square as, like you said, there is nothing from them. It's more why I'd doubt the rumors about a second Square rep because it looks like that was never in discussion. That said, I would be skeptical of SE characters in general. Part of the reason is licensing music which would be more difficult with Square.

Back to the topic on hand. Thinking on it, there are two characters (or I guess group of characters) that I'm more confident in. The first would be an ARMS character. They make sense because it's Nintendo's newest IP and it was actually fairly successful, especially in Japan. In fact, it's the best selling fighting game over there in the last few years. It's actually why they still have tournaments for it. It's also a fairly popular suggestion over here and I'm sure Nintendo would want to keep promoting it.

The other is a retro character. I don't see a lot of people talking about this but with Nintendo choosing I think its very likely. Nintendo loves their old stuff and they insert it into a lot of their games. Mario Maker had a lot of old costumes. Splatoon has the zappers as weapons. Mario Kart has an Excitebike track. Nintendo loves their retro content. I think if they are picking it, they'll add one a classic Nintendo character. Something a bit unexpected perhaps.

Mariomaniac45213

Switch FC
SW 5604 9250 9133
When do you think we will get the reveal of the 1st DLC character?
I want to say a January/February direct. Probably around the time they're about to drop Pirahna Plant. I imagine they do that with all the DLC characters. Release one then reveal the next around the same time to keep the hype going. Especially if the DLC won't be done until February 2020 so one character about every 2 and a half months.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
We now have something from stealth

Cloud may have Ben the last one added

And Square Enix May have attempted to make him dlc again and they not pleased with base

Does that sound like sora/ dragon quest character will get in?

Particually characters still alive from the onslaught of spirits

Crash bandicoot
Sylux
Geno
And square reps

Last edited:

Door Key Pig

Smash Lord
I remember there was talk that one developer wasn't fully onboard (not sure if it was a Sakurai comment or a rumor). It seems pretty clear it was Square as, like you said, there is nothing from them. It's more why I'd doubt the rumors about a second Square rep because it looks like that was never in discussion. That said, I would be skeptical of SE characters in general. Part of the reason is licensing music which would be more difficult with Square.

Back to the topic on hand. Thinking on it, there are two characters (or I guess group of characters) that I'm more confident in. The first would be an ARMS character. They make sense because it's Nintendo's newest IP and it was actually fairly successful, especially in Japan. In fact, it's the best selling fighting game over there in the last few years. It's actually why they still have tournaments for it. It's also a fairly popular suggestion over here and I'm sure Nintendo would want to keep promoting it.

The other is a retro character. I don't see a lot of people talking about this but with Nintendo choosing I think its very likely. Nintendo loves their old stuff and they insert it into a lot of their games. Mario Maker had a lot of old costumes. Splatoon has the zappers as weapons. Mario Kart has an Excitebike track. Nintendo loves their retro content. I think if they are picking it, they'll add one a classic Nintendo character. Something a bit unexpected perhaps.
Hmmm, I wonder if Geno was a DLC pick, if they could get Super Mario RPG music like the forest music or whatever. Failing that they could just put in even more Mario tracks.

A retro rep would be neat. They shot down Bubbles and Excitebiker in the Melee era but maybe they could reconsider.

SvartWolf

Smash Champion
Can you elaborate?
from Kotaku
“I haven’t talked to him,” Fils-Aime said of Sakurai and his Tweets, “but I believe he was working hard to communicate two things: One, that the characters have been decided on. Second, that he is well in development on this, so please be patient. My interpretation is that there will be no fan polls, [and that] no independent poll trying to push Waluigi, as an example, will not influence the decisions that have already been made.”

Hey, he brought Waluigi up, not me. I had to ask: “Do we know? Do you know if Waluigi is or isn’t in the roster?”

“We’re not here to discuss that at this point in time,” Fils-Aime said.
Reggies Interview

Honestly... there is the actual chance that Reggie REALLY doesn't know the DLC characters (although it would surprise me) but the only chance for teh waluigi hypothesis was that he managed to be meme enough during e3 and managed to be considered by marketing before teh DLC was set in stone, but at this point is safe to assume that for this particular DLC wave,no ATs .

and he geniuenely sounds as "dude.. we lov ethat you love waluigi... but please understand"

RouffWestie

Smash Lord
Dragalia Lost rep, FE mobile rep, Kaltina from Grandblue, Steve, and Arle Nadja
Those are my final predictions.

RingJ5

Smash Ace
Here are my updated predictions after the recent embargo’d massacre knocked quite a few of my earlier ones down. I’ll be going off the idea that Spirits deconfirm characters, which factors into my predictions a good amount.

1. Geno

Even with all the footage lately, he still hasn’t been seen as a Spirit(just an icon, confirmed to be a different thing entirely by the Zero/Moon ones), and his absence is starting to look quite suspect. Plus, he’s effectively the only non-FF Square choice that Square wouldn’t have to share profits with.

2. Linkle

Hm, a character that was a major fan request for a different Nintendo game right around the time that Smash was supposedly picking DLC, for a series that hasn’t had a new rep since Brawl? I know that jokes will likely be made about “four Links”, but she actually has massive moveset potential between her dual crossbows, powerful kicks, and... army of chickens. Could make for a legitimately fun character, hasn’t been seen as a Spirit yet(neither has any Hyrule Warriors content, oddly enough), and her being DLC could smooth over any licensing issues that might arise with Koei-Tecmo.

3. Namco rep

A Namco rep kind of seems inevitable at this point, and while Lloyd seems the most likely, I’m rooting for KOS-MOS for that extra Xeno representation now that Elma’s a Spirit and Rex is a Mii Costume.

4/5. Pick two of three: Blatant Nintendo Marketing Character, Microsoft Rep, or Surprise Out-Of-Left-Field Third Party

I could honestly see the last two slots going either way. In Nintendo’s marketing court, you could have Euden, Katalina, a Three Houses rep, or a new Pokemon. For Microsoft, you could have Banjo, Steve, or even Master Chief. And yet, for another out-of-left-field third-party rep, you could also have Phoenix Wright, one of the Kingdom Battle Rabbids that isn’t already a Spirit, Doomguy/another Bethesda rep, or even Sora(who isn’t actually owned by Square in any way). I’m relatively confident in my first three picks, but it’s basically anything goes for these last two slots.

Last edited:

Door Key Pig

Smash Lord
From a recent interview with USGamer(?)
"You have 74 characters that will be available at launch and the additional five coming with the Fighters Pass. Is that the end of the character releases at this point?

JCR: We have the five. To be clear, that's five fighters, five stages, and a selection of music. That's what we got."

Huh...

Last edited:

hustler713

Smash Apprentice
1. Banjo Kazooie

Improving Relation between Nintendo and MS, History with Nintendo, Sakurai said to have thought about the Character during 64s and Melees Development, possibly he already has an idea for a Moveset.

2. Fe Three Houses Rep

I'm pretty sure Nintendo wants to promote the Game.

3. Gen 8 Rep

Same as above.

4. Sora

I would like Geno more but i don't think existing Spirits or ATs are likely to become Playable Characters. Plus his inclusion could promote a possible KH3 Switch Port.

5. First Party Wild Card

I think there's still another unannounced First Party Game which will get a playable Rep for Promotion.

Since Nintendo decided the DLC this Time around I see this DLC choosen more for Promotion purposes than for Fan Service.
Me personally i think it is not impossible to see an AT or a Spirit upgraded (I want to see Isaac playable so much...), but i think promotional Picks are much more realistic for Nintendo.

Last edited:

Dan

Smash Lord
Dragalia Lost rep, FE mobile rep, Kaltina from Grandblue, Steve, and Arle Nadja
Those are my final predictions.
Smash I grew up with:

Smash today:

I hope/have to imagine they're gonna include one classic (or even new) "cartoony" character: Waddle Dee, Dixie, etc.

Mariomaniac45213

Switch FC
SW 5604 9250 9133
^ Alright that post above made me laugh. Because it's so true though to BE FAIR we did get more cartoony styled characters this time like :ultkrool::ultridley::ultisabelle::ultinkling::ultincineroar::ultpiranha: :ultdaisy: Compared to Smash 4 where we got a TON of anime looking JRPG one hit wonder characters or "realistic" looking characters like :ultdarkpit: :ultpalutena: :ultrobin::ultshulk::ultlucina::ultryu::ultbayonetta::ultcloud::ultcorrin:.

KingofUSA85

Smash Journeyman
^ Alright that post above made me laugh. Because it's so true though to BE FAIR we did get more cartoony styled characters this time like :ultkrool::ultridley::ultisabelle::ultinkling::ultincineroar::ultpiranha::ultdaisy: Compared to Smash 4 where we got a TON of anime looking JRPG one hit wonder characters or "realistic" looking characters like :ultdarkpit::ultpalutena::ultrobin::ultshulk::ultlucina::ultryu::ultbayonetta::ultcloud::ultcorrin:.
Smash 4. Had the better newcomers tho.

^ Alright that post above made me laugh. Because it's so true though to BE FAIR we did get more cartoony styled characters this time like :ultkrool::ultridley::ultisabelle::ultinkling::ultincineroar::ultpiranha::ultdaisy: Compared to Smash 4 where we got a TON of anime looking JRPG one hit wonder characters or "realistic" looking characters like :ultdarkpit::ultpalutena::ultrobin::ultshulk::ultlucina::ultryu::ultbayonetta::ultcloud::ultcorrin:.
Anime are cartoons so...

EDIT: Sorry for the double post.

Mariomaniac45213

Switch FC
SW 5604 9250 9133
Smash 4. Had the better newcomers tho.
All subjective and opinion based. I personally felt Smash 4 had the worst newcomers out of any Smash game and Ultimate is tied with Brawl for best newcomers. The only characters I gave a damn about in Smash 4 were Little Mac, Villager, and Bowser Jr. Rosalina I liked as well but she wasn't "Hype" to me. King K. Rool, Inklings, Ridley, Chrom, Dark Samus, Isabelle all were hype to me personally. Different strokes for different folks.

Last edited:

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
Yes, I agree. We need more gritty realistic Western RPG one hit wonders to balance that out.
jk...not really...
just give me Dovahkiin and then I'll accept anyone else...

I’m kinda curious to see where they’re going with the DLC. To me, it’s really looking like mostly 3rd party. I don’t think Spirits are disconfirms, but I do think it’s not a good sign. I hope it’s not, since a certain twin-tailed fox should totally be playable after all of this time, but...

I guess Steve is the one character I’m reasonably confident on. But then again, I considered Takamaru, Ashley, and Dixie as locks before each direct so far, and...

verysleepywolf

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3153-5879-7280
Hey, what about some potential Activision reps?
Crash imo has a far better chance than Spyro, but something tells me that Crash won't be happening and there are greater priorities on Nintendo's list.

I also want to mention Travis Touchdown. We have a new No More Heroes on the way, Suda 51 is begging Sakurai for it, and Nintendo might want to raise awareness of the franchise by making him a character. He's memorable, compliments Snake and Bayonetta well as a quirky-mature choice. I think he's likely.

Door Key Pig

Smash Lord
Crash imo has a far better chance than Spyro, but something tells me that Crash won't be happening and there are greater priorities on Nintendo's list.

I also want to mention Travis Touchdown. We have a new No More Heroes on the way, Suda 51 is begging Sakurai for it, and Nintendo might want to raise awareness of the franchise by making him a character. He's memorable, compliments Snake and Bayonetta well as a quirky-mature choice. I think he's likely.
Name four greater priorities in Nintendo's list >:3

greenluigiman2

Smash Ace
I seriously doubt any of the characters will be from games that came out any time after the second half of 2016, let alone from games that haven't even come out yet. Sakurai came up with the final roster in 2015. You seriously think he waited 3 years to come up with the DLC? There's a reason for the Rex Mii costume olive branch. XC2 is too new. Fire Emblem Three Houses and Pokemon gen 8 are WAY too new.

NobleClamtasm

Smash Journeyman
I seriously doubt any of the characters will be from games that came out any time after the second half of 2016, let alone from games that haven't even come out yet. Sakurai came up with the final roster in 2015. You seriously think he waited 3 years to come up with the DLC? There's a reason for the Rex Mii costume olive branch. XC2 is too new. Fire Emblem Three Houses and Pokemon gen 8 are WAY too new.
Do we have a confirmation on when the DLC characters have been decided? From what I know, the only thing that we have in reference to that is his Nov 6 tweet.
Untitled.png

Which seems to suggests that the DLC roster has recently been finalized at that moment in time.

D

Deleted member

So a lot of people are talking about whether Spirits deconfirm characters....I'm reminded how cut characters from Brawl to Smash 4 appeared as trophies, such as Ivysaur, Squirtle, Mewtwo, Lucas--then we got some of them back with new trophies to boot.

Besides that, I definitely think we can look at Smash 4's Mii costumes as a potentially good indicator of who Sakurai may yet add, as we've already seen the following get upgraded from Mii Costume:

-Chrom (playable)
-Isabelle (playable)
-King K. Rool (playable)
-Black Knight (AT)
-Zero (AT)
-Knuckles (AT)
-Akira (AT)

I would keep my eye on these who were Mii costumes:

-Lloyd Irving
-Heihachi
-Geno
-Monster Hunter (kinda surprised Rathalos is in but not a MH character)
-Tails (I REALLY WANT HIM OKAY)
-Viridi (maybe? Like if there's going to be another KI game?)

Also, I really want and hope that Banjo & Kazooie make it in, and yes I will be salty if Minecraft makes it in over them. I also wouldn't count out Sylux to promote Metroid Prime 4. "That's a lot of Metroid newcomers!" I hear you say. Yes, but Metroid games don't sell well, and I wouldn't put it past Nintendo to play the long game in getting consumers more acquainted with the Metroid series in preparation to be sold the latest entry--Metroid really needs the help. With newcomers Ridley and Dark Samus now in Smash, I know more people are getting more interested in the series--it's hard not to pay attention! Even now, Sylux is really the only other interesting and viable character from the Metroid series, and he/she/it will 100% appear in Metroid Prime 4.

verysleepywolf

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3153-5879-7280
Name four greater priorities in Nintendo's list >:3
Crash has a legacy of console war rivalry behind him, but Nintendo has little to benefit from offering him as a choice to Sakurai. The difference in size between Mario fans and Crash fans is monumental these days, maybe not back in his prime, but now Crash is somewhat of a relic only safe enough to offer a remake trilogy. I guess we'll have to wait and see if Activision has any plans for a new title. This is ignoring the fact that Nintendo wouldn't feel the need to advertise Crash in their games because it wouldn't benefit them financially, nor draw in any new players. I've personally found that most people who loved Crash are also Mario fans or Sonic fans, making Crash a purely cultural choice. No doubt Activision would love the exposure of Crash in Smash, and Sakurai would surely see the historic significance too. It's Nintendo that won't include these ancient mascots. Same applies for Spyro, Banjo, etc. I'd wager Rayman will happen over any other vintage platformer mascot because of the recent Ubisoft partnerships and Rayman's continued success.

First party plans also make the chances increasingly small. There are numerous flagship titles in development for Switch that they could pull from to drum up hype. There are very recent new characters with popularity that would certainly sell. There are also fan demanded goliaths that aren't necessarily new or advertisey, but would be much easier for Nintendo to resort to than negotiating with external companies.

For first-party, I'd expect to see the likes of Dee (monstrously popular), Paper Mario (possible new game coming), King Boo (Luigi's Mansion 3 coming), a BotW champion or other Zelda character (demand for any new LoZ character has been ignored and continues to grow), a new DK character like Dixie or Cranky, a new Xenoblade character like Elma... the list goes on. For third-party, franchises like Minecraft, Dragon Quest, Kingdom Hearts, Halo, Persona, Monster Hunter, or Rayman all dhwarf Crash in mainstream popularity. I love my classic platformers, just look at my avatar, but Crash isn't mainstream enough to compete with other third-parties as far as "hmmm which franchise can we bring into Smash that might expand our playerbase...", and yes my logic is that Nintendo is relatively greedy and not too concerned with giving us what we want, but getting more people to buy the game. I would love to be wrong because Crash in Smash would be a surreal 90s twilight zone moment.

Last edited:

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
Corrin was also “too new” when Fates was first announced nearly four years in January 2015, two months after Smash for Wii U. And look-he became DLC.

I apologize if I sound like a jerk and if I’m twisting your words, but my point is that characters after 2016, let alone ones from yet unreleased games, can make the cut. “Too new” can mean many things.

Top Bottom