• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Final Five DLC Characters

MP8

Smash Journeyman
I don't know about other characters, but I believe Tails will be one of them. He hasn't been confirmed an Assist Trophy and he's one of the earliest Sonic characters. Not that I care if he makes it or not, I just think he'll probably be one of them.

Last edited:

greenluigiman2

Smash Ace
Corrin was also “too new” when Fates was first announced nearly four years in January 2015, two months after Smash for Wii U. And look-he became DLC.

I apologize if I sound like a jerk and if I’m twisting your words, but my point is that characters after 2016, let alone ones from yet unreleased games, can make the cut. “Too new” can mean many things.
I'm only going by what Sakurai said about Rex. Smash 4's DLC and Smash Ultimate's DLC are two different things.

Astraltar

Smash Apprentice
I WANT to see Geno made a playable fighter. But a lot of people have already said that, so for diversity's sake i'd like to see....

Crono from Chrono Trigger, and the stage that comes along with him could be "On Board the Epoch". Imagine being on the time-jumping ship as it passes through all the different time periods which change the background continuously. And there's literally a treasure trove of songs to bring in with him. Also Square games were important in the rise of the SNES, so another person from Square would be only fair when Capcom, Sega, And Konami all have more than one rep from their 3rd party company.

Some people i don't really want very much but think they still have a strong chance are...
Dixie Kong and Bandana Dee.
And I name those two because they're both 1st party property and I know that the last 5 characters have already been decided, but they weren't decided by Sakurai. They were chosen by Nintendo instead.

Last edited:

Pinguino21v

Smash Ace
All subjective and opinion based. I personally felt Smash 4 had the worst newcomers out of any Smash game and Ultimate is tied with Brawl for best newcomers.
Like you said, it's subjective. I was really pleased in 4, with 2 of my 3 most wanted (Robin and Shulk) and some other (Villager, Cloud).

Meanwhile, for me, Ultimate is disappointing. I had several wanted characters, with one of them being the remaining one I wanted in 4, and none got in: Isaac, Elma, Rex, Sora, Waluigi, Phoenix, Paper Mario. Actually, Ultimate is really lacking any newcomers for RPG fans like me (not counting Pokémon and echoes).

It's subjective.

Mariomaniac45213

The Nintendo Villain main!
Switch FC
SW 5604 9250 9133
Like you said, it's subjective. I was really pleased in 4, with 2 of my 3 most wanted (Robin and Shulk) and some other (Villager, Cloud).

Meanwhile, for me, Ultimate is disappointing. I had several wanted characters, with one of them being the remaining one I wanted in 4, and none got in: Isaac, Elma, Rex, Sora, Waluigi, Phoenix, Paper Mario. Actually, Ultimate is really lacking any newcomers for RPG fans like me (not counting Pokémon and echoes).

It's subjective.
I cant stand JRPGs or 3rd parties so to me Smash 4 was a nightmare. Greninja, Shulk, Cloud, Roy, Corrin, Lucas, Lucina, Robin, Mewtwo, Charizard, Ryu, Mega Man, Pac-Man, Bayonetta (though shes more of a 2nd party character now and Ive warmed up to her over time). At the time I wasnt too big of a fan of FE I've warmed up to the series after 4 came out. Still added too many of them in 1 game though.

Besides Little Mac, Duck Hunt (who I like playing as but wasnt one I was personally hoping for), Bowser Jr., and Villager it felt like Nintendo wasnt catering to people like me who have been gaming with them since the SNES days who like the more cartoony "Nintendo-y" classic characters. Where as Ultimate has delivered with K.Rool (my favorite Nintendo character/villain of ALL TIME), Ridley, Isabelle, Inklings (even though they were obvious additions but that's not a bad thing plus Splatoon is an amazing series), Daisy (even if I dont particularly care for her she doesnt offend me), Dark Samus. I even like Incineroar more than I did Greninja. I like heavyweights even if idc for Pokemon that much. Chrom I liked as well. Because I didnt play Awakening until after Smash 4. Chrom I also like more as a character than Lucina and Robin.

Last edited:

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
There's a lot of talk about Square Enix characters and people seem to be pointing at Geno, Sora and a DQ rep mainly.

However I feel like people could possibly be sleeping on a very iconic character who's comes from a major video game franchise, one of which Square does currently own the rights to. That is of course Tomb Raider, and Lara Croft being the character. Although I'm not particularly sure how likely of a pick she'd be for Nintendo especially since she hasn't had much presence on any Nintendo console since Square bought the rights to Tomb Raider, but nonetheless she'd be a pretty big addition to the game and could attract new players to Smash if she was added.

Last edited:

Ark of Silence101

Smash Master
NNID
ArkofSilence
Switch FC
8431-6297-7122
There's a lot of talk about Square Enix characters and people seem to be pointing at Geno, Sora and a DQ rep mainly.

However I feel like people could possibly be sleeping on a very iconic character who's comes from a major video game franchise, one of which Square does currently own the rights to. That is of course Tomb Raider, and Lara Croft being the character. Although I'm not particularly sure how likely of a pick she'd be for Nintendo especially since she hasn't had much presence on any Nintendo console since Square bought the rights to Tomb Raider, but nonetheless she'd be a pretty big addition to the game and could attract new players to Smash if she was added.
I personally see 3 characters from Square Enix as realistic from a business point of view, the aforementioned Lara Croft, a Dragon Quest character and even though it seems unlikely given how the content is being handled it's still within the realm of possibility, a Final Fantasy character, with Noctis making the most sense purely from business point.

OhMyBanana54

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-1628-5145-3801
My predictions:
1. Slime
2. Steve
3. Urbosa
4. Bandana Waddle Dee
5. Dixie Kong

Sammerbro44

Smash Apprentice
I've created multiple lists depending on certain factors.

Most Likely (Not Including Spirits)
Steve

Slime

Travis Touchdown

Euden/Zethia (Dragalia Lost)

Monster Hunter

Most Likely (Including Spirits)
Steve

Slime

Travis Touchdown

Impa

Elma

Most Wanted (Not Including Spirits)
Banjo & Kazooie

King Boo

Crash Bandicoot

Doom Guy

Medusa

Most Wanted (Including Spirits)
Poochy

Rayman

Banjo & Kazooie

Bandana Dee

Chorus Kids

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
We found all the spirits now

Here’s the most particular characters not being spirits

Banjo Kazooie
Sylux
Rythmn Girl
Porky
Monster Hunter
Adeliene
Tibby
Edelgard
Cross
Travis Touchdown
Crash Bandicoot
Sora
Reimu
Hayabusa
Lloyd Irving
Steve
Style Savvy
Erdrick
Slime
Chrono
Doomguy
Dante
Saber
Bit Trip Runner
Heihachi
Jack Frost

Bobthealligator

Smash Ace
I'm starting to doubt Vergeben's Square Enix character. No additional music, no spirits, Cloud isn't playable in World of Light, I don't buy it. Also with a lot of prominent characters missing as spirits (with some less important characters from the same franchise still present), including Piranha Plant. DLC is looking like:
Sylux(Metroid Bias much?)
Paper Mario
Adeline
KOSMOS (Maybe)
???

WaddleMatt

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 5950 1333 3717
So yea, time for my DLC predictions (these will probably change) in order from most confident to least confident,

1. Geno

Yes, I'm confident Geno is actually happening this time around. Square Enix is being extremely stingy with their IPs but they seem to be lenient when it comes to Geno... so yea spoilers:

Geno and Mallow are the only Square Enix spirits in the game except Cloud

Also there is evidence to support Cloud being the last character being added back into the game and I can easily see a situation in which they only let him back in if another SE character was made DLC and with this nightmare just to get the BARE MINIMUM back in to Ultimate, Nintendo would probably just use a character they already have rights for and plus they have been a fan request since Brawl which likely did great on the ballot, what is there to lose by adding Geno?

2. Banjo and Kazooie

Hear me out, I know many are predicting Steve but I find this way more likely. First of all, Microsoft and Nintendo have been getting along very well recently with Minecraft crossplay and all and Phil Spencer having lunch with a Nintendo rep at E3 and oh yea the tweet he made about Banjo! I find Banjo more likely than Steve for a few reasons: Firstly, Banjo likely did extremely well on the ballot as polls have shown. Secondly,
Rare spirits have been found in the game
showing that there is some form of involvement. Banjo, like Geno makes sense as DLC because they are third party and would allow their parent companies to get more money especially since they were huge on the ballot compared to the Belmonts at least.

3. Bandana Waddle Dee

Out of all first party characters that could be DLC, I think this guy is the most likely of them all. BWD has a huge fanbase, especially in Japan and I think he may possibly be in the Top 3 most requested worldwide, if not definitley the Top 5. Being a Nintendo character he is obviously an easy choice and would be able to be marketed extremely well as the Kirby series already is and with Kirby Star Allies doing as well as it did I think it is enough to warrant a new Kirby character and BWD has been the star of the show this past decade alongside Kirby himself and the fact that he didn't get into the base game is pretty weird anyway. BWD has huge potential to be a best seller and a unique character. He is the only real shot at another Kirby character since
His biggest competition, Marx is a boss now.
. Oh and also there was allusions to Smash in Star Allies.

4. Lloyd Irving

I am surprised not as many people are predicting this one. Bandai Namco are once again developing the game and they have good ties with Nintendo. Now remember, Nintendo is Japanese and we all know Kirby is massive there but so is Tales and the most iconic game is Tales of Symphonia starring Lloyd. This would be a character which sells not just because he is popular but hes got 2 swords and I'm pretty sure that is a selling point. Now, you could say there is competition from Heihachi but it seems they are removing him from future Tekken games (don't quote me on that I may have misheard something). Also he probably did decent on the ballot and Tales of Vesperia is coming to Switch so it is quite possible.

5. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

For this I am unsure... but here are some ideas I have thrown around:
  • Elma - Lack of content from X
  • Rex and Pyra - Mii Costume yea yea but Nintendo still probably wants to promote this
  • Edelgard - Promotion
  • Impa - Popular and iconic Zelda character
  • BOTW Champion (probably Mipha) - Nintendo still wants to show off BOTW
  • Paper Mario - Ballot and would sell I guess
  • Toad - See above
  • Monster Hunter - Recent game on Switch and long history with Nintendo
  • Tails - Most iconic other Sonic character and would sell a lot
  • Rayman - Ubisoft has great relations with Nintendo
  • Tap Trial/Rhythm Girl - Lack of Rhythm Heaven rep (I personally think she makes the most sense)
  • Isaac - Yea he's an AT but he likely did amazing on the ballot and there is quite a chance a Golden Sun game is being developed by Camelot
  • Waluigi - Honestly, I can see it because of the backlash
  • Magolor - I could see this happening instead of BWD potentially but it is a low probability
  • Dixie Kong - Ballot pick and relevant due to the TF port
So yea, there is that. Can't wait to be wrong, oh boy.

Last edited:

alguidrag

Smash Ace
My Predictions

Realistic Predictions

1 - Steve
Sadly it seems the Mine Boy is likely thanks to the damn leakers... Nothing against him, but I would pick others before him surely

2 - Lloyd
Dual Sword best boy! He could very well be in as DLC, he was a costume in Smash 4 so he is in Sakurai's radar, his main competitors are Heinhachi or other character from the same company

3 - Sylux
A "kinda important" Character missing in the Spirits family, if wasn't for that I would not even consider it, also I think I'm seeing a FE trend with Metroid, from 2 characters in the last game to 4(one being a clone of the OG rep) and getting DLC would make Metroid go from 2 to 5 in a single game! Almost like FE.

4 - A FE character
All Main FE characters (except FEH and 3 houses) are alredy spirits, so its possible they will do a Roy/Corrin thing and add a character to promote a game

5 - Noctis/Square Character
Thanks for nothing Verge! Basicaly I doubt it will be Noctis but if Vergeben is right we could get a Square rep, just put Noctis because he would be cool and he is recent.

Want Predictions
ITS TIME TO REVIVAL BRO!

1 - Isaac
I know he is a AT thats why he is in my WANT and not REAL predictions, many things come to him in last months, and Isaac possible Mii costume means he is in the radar, maybe they made him a AT before noticing the huge popularity he have(Always Top 10 in most Fan polls, accurate? maybe not but its better than say "We don't know the ballot so he is unkown") and made him a AT, he have a good shot for Smash 6 at least

2 - Bandana Waddle Dee
Would be Marx there but he is a boss, and boss is a deconfirm to me, but Spirit not(yet) and if Piranha Plant got in, Bandana Dee have no argument against him, he is loved (mostly in japan) he is relevant, he is unique and a first party, the only thing against him I see is the Spirit thing and Sakubias.

3 - Lloyd
See above

4 - A BravelyDefault/Second character/Crono /Noctis
Thanks Verge! The Bravely series is a Nintendo console exclusive series made by Square, so if Nintendo have a easy chance to getting in is they, but the problem for here comes from Nintendo, I can't see they looking at they and saying "They will make us rich in DLC!" Crono is a classic character, Akira Toriyama Style, and a Sword Mage, basicaly perfect, Noctis is cool, Many Weapons, Magic, Sword warping stuff and Ring of Lucii is a easy Final Smash.

5 - a FE rep
I'm a FE fanboy, and if Pokemon gets a quota, I want a quota for FE too

D

Deleted member

We found all the spirits now

Here’s the most particular characters not being spirits

Banjo Kazooie
Sylux
Rythmn Girl
Porky
Monster Hunter
Adeliene
Tibby
Edelgard
Cross
Travis Touchdown
Crash Bandicoot
Sora
Reimu
Hayabusa
Lloyd Irving
Steve
Style Savvy
Erdrick
Slime
Chrono
Doomguy
Dante
Saber
Bit Trip Runner
Heihachi
Jack Frost
Is this for real? Because if these characters legit are not Spirits, then there are some surprising omissions, and it could definitely be evidence that they were planned already as DLC. Because there are a lot of really obscure characters as spirits, so you'd think the more popular ones would have been represented first. And even if Sakurai and his team haven't yet started development on DLC characters, it is not unreasonable for them to have decided them a long time ago.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
here's a thought, a lot of people are convinced we'll get a three houses character cause the games due out (and our never ending list of fire emblem characters) and people are convinced we're getting another SE character because veregeben (or whatever) says so

so by a similar logic could not this rumoured SE character be someone to promote the many FF games heading for the switch, you know zidane, tidus, vaan, a chocobo or perhaps a clavat

Glaciacott

Smash Lord
My predictions:
- Bravely Default rep
- Steve
- Fire Emblem Three Houses
- Travis Touchdown
- First party: Kirby, Zelda, or Rhythm Heaven

I have a completely different take on the Square Enix rep: Bravely Default.
From what I know, the team behind those games was the same behind Octopath, so that's three games they have made that are very Nintendo friendly, being exclusive to Nintendo consoles. I also recall them recently teasing a Bravely announcement of some kind, and I can imagine it would be great if Nintendo could double that with a Smash DLC character.
With that in mind I would imagine Squeenix music from the Bravely games and Octopath. I'm actually surprised that I'm seeing so much mention of tons of Squeenix reps but not someone from Bravely Default, maybe I missed something.

For Steve, not just the vergeben comments but also the logic that minecraft has been such a notable component of Nintendo's marketing in two generations now, and even on Switch you keep seeing it brought up in directs as having Nintendo exclusive content. I want Banjo and most smash fans will too, but I think it's more globally significant to have Minecraft.

The next two are assumptions based on the last Smash: Fire Emblem is a series that gets a ton of love in Smash and the only inclusion it got in this game was an echo fighter. They also seem to be very popular characters in everything Ultimate I've seen in Japan, and it's almost a tradition now that Smash inclusion works as a commercial for FE.

Then Travis to me is the most Bayonetta-like character in this cycle: popular character that isn't that super high profile, but whose game was treated as instrumental and significant in terms of supporting the latest Nintendo console (Bayo 2 for Wii U, No More Heroes sequel being teased at the Switch reveal.) Interestingly, it's also a semi-mature character that in theory should not fit in smash thematically but somehow still works well moveset-wise.

As for the last category, I think it's something we cannot predict right now. I think Ridley and Dark Samus were already significant inclusions to hype up Metroid and don't expect a MP4 character as a result. Likewise, I don't expect a gen 8 pokemon as I think Incineroar will probably be considered sufficient for pokemon in this smash game, nor do I expect something from the likes of Pikmin 4.
However, a new Kirby game I could see as being something they want to market since Kirby is the sort of thing they like to push every year. A new Rhythm Heaven game is something I imagine Nintendo of Japan would want to market. And of course, there's also the high likelihood of something Zelda in the next year, so I want to also suggest the possibility of something for Zelda, especially with how significant BotW has been for the Switch.

SAMation

Smash Journeyman
Alright I think I've pinpointed atleast 4/5 characters I feel are gonna be in after all the Spirits nonsense.

Before I start, I do feel like spirits could end up being a deconfirmation for DLC. Evidence to back this includes piranha plant not being a spirit yet while all the other mario enemies are, and some pretty importan spirits missing that dont make sense considering the sheer amount of spirits in.

1) Steve. Confident from multiple viable leakers including Hitagi and Vergeben. Not much more to say.

2) Square Enix Rep. See #1.

3) Sylux. His spirit is missing, while other hunters are in the game and plenty of other Metroid characters too. Seeing that he could end up being pretty important for Metroid Prime 4, it's entirely possible Nintendo decided on him for DLC as advertisement for the game.

4) Porky. This one is an even bigger "what?" than Sylux for me when it comes to his spirit missing. You have every brawl boss back as a spirit but him AND a bunch of Mother characters INCLUDING the Absolute Safe Capsule, a machine he used, and yet he's nowhere to be seen?? That's just so off to me, considering how important he is in both Mother 2 and 3. Sylux, maybe i can see how he was left out, but Porky is so big of a thing to leave out completely from the game that I can't help but feel the whole Spirit deconfirmation thing is true and they're saving Porky for a big announcement. As to why Nintendo would want a new character from a dead game series, maybe there's a Mother announcement on the way? Either Mother 3 releasing on switch or some sort of Mother trilogy collection thing. Either way, I think Porky is getting in.

5) Not actually sure about this one. I COULD guess Euden since Dragalia Lost is Nintendo's mobile game baby right now, but maybe we'll get someone else like Crash Bandicoot or Doom Guy or Tibby from Rhythm Heaven or w/e. I can't confidently say one over the other, but if I had to guess then I'd say Euden.

takai

Smash Apprentice
NNID
infamoustakai
Just give me Rex at this point. I adore Persona, so Joker is a very welcome edition.

Sakurai already has 50% of Rex's costume and his weapon made for the game, plus Sakurai loving Xenoblade 2.

Mariomaniac45213

The Nintendo Villain main!
Switch FC
SW 5604 9250 9133
After Reggie's comments at the Game Awards I'm expecting no 1st party characters whatsoever. Not even "promotional picks".

So my final DLC prediction is

- Joker
- Resident Evil rep
- Doom Guy
- Rayman
- Slime from Dragon Quest

Not that it matters to me honestly. Nintendo saved me $25 that I can spend on other Switch games in 2019. Lord knows I'm gonna need as much money as I can due to the amount of games coming to Switch next year.

Nemuresu

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3325-3200-4137
Well, with Reggie's comment in mind and whatnot, I suppose I can just update my own preditions:
1.- Joker (confirmed)
2.- Terry Bogard: SNK is still willing to make stuff for the Switch even after Heroines' failure on the console, and Nintendo wanted to make a deal with them, so why not get one of their characters in the game while they're at it?
3.- Dante: With the old /v/ leaker standing still about his Smash comments, with his call about a DMC anime being correct, and Joker's presence; I think he's actually gonna join the game.
4.- Steve/Banjo: Data for Rare characters, plus rumours about Minecraft content still in the air, it could either way to be honest.
5.- Sora/Neku/2B: Yeah, I still think we'll get a Square character, things are just more open now that Joker shows just how many liberties there are with choices.
I still trust Vergeben after last night. Don't know what happened there, but whatevs.
Also, God bless Nintendo for knowing it's more important to bring desirable characters than making cheap publicity stunts. Things are better off that way.

Last edited:

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
Well, with Reggie's comment in mind and whatnot, I suppose I can just update my own preditions:
1.- Joker (confirmed)
2.- Heihachi Mishima: Mii Costume is absent and there's seems to be no existing Tekken content in the game so far, so I suppose he's fair game.
3.- Dante: With the old /v/ leaker standing still about his Smash comments, with his call about a DMC anime being correct, and Joker's presence; I think he's actually gonna join the game.
4.- Steve/Banjo: Data for Rare characters, plus rumours about Minecraft content still in the air, it could either way to be honest.
5.- Sora/Neku/2B: Yeah, I still think we'll get a Square character, things are just more open now that Joker shows just how many liberties there are with choices.
I still trust Vergeben after last night. Don't know what happened there, but whatevs.
Also, God bless Nintendo for knowing it's more important to bring desirable characters than making cheap publicity stunts. Things are better off that way.
Hey! I just wanted to give you a head's up that Heihachi is actually now in pixelated form inside of Pacman's Namco Taunt.

Jomosensual

Smash Champion
My revised predictions now that Joker is in

1. Heihachi/Lloyd Irving - Bandi-Namco rep
2. sylux - Metroid Prime promotion
3. sora/Lara Croft - square rep
4. Master Chief/Bajo/steve- Microsoft rep

Bold prediction: sony rep. Very little chance this happens, but it would fit with the characters you would never expect theme for the DLC. Top contenders for that role would be Kratos , Nathan Drake, sackboy, or maybe Ellie or Joel from Last of Us. None of those are likely, but I do think we get something extremely out of the blue, possibly as the final character overall

Last edited:

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
My revised predictions now that Joker is in

1. Heihachi/Lloyd Irving - Bandi-Namco rep
2. sylux - Metroid Prime promotion
3. sora/Lara Croft - square rep
4. Master Chief/Bajo/steve- Microsoft rep

Bold prediction: sony rep. Very little chance this happens, but it would fit with the characters you would never expect theme for the DLC. Top contenders for that role would be Kratos , Nathan Drake, sackboy, or maybe Ellie or Joel from Last of Us. None of those are likely, but I do think we get something extremely out of the blue, possibly as the final character overall
Wouldn't Crash be the most likely Sony rep?

Flaxr XIII

Smash Lord
NNID
FlaxrXIII
"How does Joker's announcement change your current listings?"

>Granblue
>Dragon Quest
>Minecraft
Good lord these are awful choices! We live in the darkest timeline where these insider clowns end up being right and we have to sit through this absolute garbage they spew out.

Here's my list of choices that you'll probably hate:

1. Sora
2. Joker
3. 2B
4. Rayman
5. Marx
As you can see, clearly not at all. Glad I was one of the few that wasn't soaking up the Minecraft and Granblue dribble and actually came out on top. My list changes more in the angle that Marx isn't happening at this point.

I'm glad that we can put a rest to these idiotic leakers and form an opinion of our own this time.

As for what my new predictions list will be, based on how Reggie says the DLC will be focused on A List guest characters:
1. Joker (CONFIRMED)
2. Sora (incredibly likely at this point)
3. 2B (somewhat less likely but she's a huge name in gaming right now so she's not entirely impossible)
4. Rayman (to be honest he's not exactly a huge star where he is now but he's got some popularity on his own merit and I wouldn't put it past them to include him)
5. Banjo (this one I'm least certain about since I just don't think they'll go far enough to reach Microsoft but Joker makes him hella more likely.)

Top Bottom