• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Final Five DLC Characters

ZagarTulip

Smash Journeyman
Now that there is a character confirmed, I'll start another list

1. Joker (CONFIRMED)
2. Vaati
3. Sora
4. Thrall
5. Bandana Dee

Sammerbro44

Smash Apprentice
Might as well throw my 2 cents in for what its worth.

Joker (Confirmed)
Banjo & Kazooie
Travis Touchdown
Doom Guy
Sora

CroonerMike

Smash Lord
1.Plant
2. Joker
3. Banjo Kazzoie
4. Crono
5. Jill Valentine
6. Doom Guy? Mabye
7. Another Nintendo character. (I personally believe there will be one more surprise fighter announced as there are 6 stages and we seem to only be getting 5 new stages.

Sheng Long

Smash Apprentice
My prediction:

Pack 1 - Sega/Atlus: Joker (P5) (confirmed already)

Pack 2 - Namco: Lloyd Irving (Tales of Symphonia) or Heihachi Mishima (Tekken) (hopefully Lloyd pls)

Pack 3 - Square Enix: Geno (SMRPG) or Sora (KH) or Luminary (DQXI) (I hope for Sora, but I think Luminary is most likely due to DQ's reputation)

Pack 4 - Activision/Ubisoft/Suda51: Crash Bandicoot (Crash Bandicoot), Rayman (Rayman), Travis Touchdown (No More Heroes) (I think Travis could be likely, but I am hoping for Crash)

Pack 5 - Microsoft/Rare: Banjo & Kazooie (Banjo Kazooie)

Final List:
Joker
Heihachi Mishima
Luminary
Travis Touchdown
Banjo & Kazooie

Opelucid

Smash Lord
NNID
JDan17
Switch FC
SW 5860 1420 7528
Joker
Banjo & Kazooie
Slime
Ryu Hayabusa
Edelgard

Last edited:

Door Key Pig

Smash Lord
1.Plant
2. Joker
3. Banjo Kazzoie
4. Crono
5. Jill Valentine
6. Doom Guy? Mabye
7. Another Nintendo character. (I personally believe there will be one more surprise fighter announced as there are 6 stages and we seem to only be getting 5 new stages.
That is weird, because there was something saying Piranha Plant would later come with music and a stage before being changed to remove that info, either cause it was a leak or it was wrong. Even when you go into Training, the unique stage only replaces the random slot, still leaving for that space.
I'm guessing maybe it's some kind of click menu/second page for other stages, be them further DLC stages or custom stages if they decide to reimplement that, using Brawls preset method as to not cause issue with Inklings ink and terrain.

Quetzal77

Smash Journeyman
NNID
yomugo
3DS FC
1349-4940-0147
1. Joker
2. Banjo Kazooie
3. Someone from either a new Nintendo game launching next year or a really out there wtf pick.
4. Sora
5. Rex and Pyra (It's unfathomable to me that they won't be in)

greenluigiman2

Smash Ace
1. Joker
2. Steve
3. Sora/Dragon Quest character
4. Crash Bandicoot
5. Character from unrepped Nintendo franchise

Captain Shades

Smash Ace
Reggie said only franchises that are not represented by Smash will be in after the Joker reveal. Using this info, we can safely assume all characters will be 3rd party similar to the newcomers of Smash Wii U. There aren’t any Nintendo franchises that are unrepresented to my knowledge outsid3 of the heavily forgotten Endless Ocean, so I’m going to say Nintendo franchises are off the table.

To add on to my DLC predictions, before Joker’s reveal there was an article with Sakurai where he talks about his love of the Persona series, particularly 5. He loved the style and used it for Ultimate. Using the fact that a Sakurai article hinted at a character, I will now factor those translated articles from Source Gaming into my predictions.

So here they are

1) Steve (Minecraft) - Steve was already likely, but I feel Joker’s reveal only heightened his chances. I believe we should start from the beginning though. Minecraft was fully released in 2011 and quickly became one of the biggest indie titles of all time, and the second highest selling game of all time. Steve, the Creeper, and the franchise are gaming icons at this point, being recognizable to both children and adults. During the time frame of the wake of the release of Smash 4, Steve was heavily requested by the younger Nintendo crowd on Nintendo’s social media platform, Miiverse. In 2015, Minecraft would be one of the very few triple A releases on Nintendo’s struggling Wii U console. Now to put it into perspective, Steve was a modern gaming icon, requested heavily for Smash, and one of the few to help Nintendo in their dark days (one of which being Bayonetta). Now go into the modern year, Nintendo heavily advertises Minecraft with spotlights in Switch online and a custom 3DS. To say the least, Nintendo seems to be aiding in Minecraft’s success.

Now you might say, what else? Well, similar to Joker, Minecraft was one of the very few games Sakurai talked about heavily enjoying in the translated articles. If we are to believe that Sakurai’s pieces on different titles are hints at Smash, than Minecraft should not be left out of the running. Add the Vergeben leaks, as he basically got everything right, and I’d say Steve has the most solid opportunity for Smash as Minecraft does not have any material in Smash.....yet?

2) Sans (Undertale) - Sans has been joked about for a while, but could he actually be possible? Yes...
Similar to Minecraft, Undertale was an indie that got popular overnight. Released in 2015, it took the internet by storm as many Nintendo fans and general gamers latched onto the game and its Earthbound inspired style. With Undertale’s popularity, there were requests for Smash. To add more to Undertale’s story it released on Nintendo Switch with a huge announcement in September of this year.

Other factors are Undertale’s extreme popularity in Japan playing into its viability for Smash. Japan literally has concerts for Undertale, so I’d say its popular enough for Smash.

Two factors make Undertale extremely likely though. One being Nintendo’s random take down of a fan made Smash Ultimate Undertale theme. This could be a mistake, but it’s still weird as Nintendo uploads their soundtracks to YouTube so they can strike any video with them, so Undertale shouldn’t be listed. The other factor, similar to Minecraft, is the fact that Sakurai has a full article up that details his love for the game, so maybe an Undertale rep has a chance after all.

3) Doom Slayer / Valult Boy (DOOM / Fallout) - Bethesda has now become more open with Nintendo, so I feel a character could potentially be coming our way. Bethesda has recently been loving the Switch, filling it with their games such as Fallout Shelter, Skyrim, Doom, Wolfenstein, and soon Doom Eternal. Bethesda has shown to be one of the very few companies to really back the Switch and make sure games release on it. While it is great to see Bethesda putting content on Nintendo systems, does that really equal a character? Maybe... Bethesda recently came out with an article where they went over their relationship with Nintendo. At the end of the article, the interviewer asks, “did you guys talk about Smash Bros.?” Bethesda then responds, “Hell Yes!” While this doesn’t necessarily mean a character, I think it’d be good to take note of as if the DLC is all 3rd party, than Bethesda does seem to be in the running. I would assume Doom Slayer would be the character due to Doom being the big release for Switch, but Vault Boy is more of an icon for Bethesda, so I can see it going either way.

4) Dragon Quest character / Travis Touchdown - These two characters I feel will fight for the final spot. To go over them, I’ll take them on Individually

Dragon Quest - Square is being unreasonable behind the scenes when it comes to Ultimate. From what we’ve seen they seemed like they were trying to restrict Cloud. Why would this help Dragon Quest’s chances then, well it comes down to Square wanting money. Sakurai needed to bring Cloud back, but since Cloud can’t make DLC money for Square, they want another character. This isn’t surprising seeing how Square usually throws in their characters as DLC as it makes them a quick buck, but basically Sakurai’s and Nintendo’s hands were probably tied to make Square another character so Cloud can return. Other factors are of course Verge who has already gone on record saying Dragon Quest will receive a character, so this may be our fourth DLC. As a bonus, Dragon Quest is pretty closely associated with Nintendo, or at least more so than FF or Kingdom Hearts, due to its numerous crossovers with Mario.

Travis Touchdown - Nintendo made No More Heroes a huge reveal during the indie direct, so clearly Nintendo thinks highly of the franchise. Nintendo is also fighting off the kid image, so having another M-rated character in their big crossover fighter would certainly help as we only have two at the moment. No More Heroes is also loved by Nintendo fans, and Travis has been requested for awhile. Throw in his creator wanting the character to join, and I feel that Travis may potentially have a chance to promote his new game.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
I think ryu hayabusa

Might be underconsider for a contender

Ninja Gaiden is pretty big and just a tiny bit ago confirmed for the new collection on the switch

But there’s more reasons than that but I don’t remember the others right now

But anyway I’m definately pretty sure crash might be one it just got another remake game

Door Key Pig

Smash Lord
yeah theres bound to be at least one first party
Please be Rhythm Heaven! Name me another Nintendo IP new to the series in terms of characters that has no significant representation (AT, Mii costume, boss?) in Ultimate outside of spirits (which it strangely has a few of) and a few music tracks (that could be added to...) and that isn't dormant.
But anyway I’m definately pretty sure crash might be one it just got another remake game
And one releasing for the Switch at launch, too! Unlike N. Sane Trilogy, it's neither a Playstation timed exclusive or only considered for the Switch after "one employee got it running on there for kicks and we rolled with it" or whatever the story was.

Jakor

Smash Ace
I'm aware that Joker from Persona is now the first DLC character, but here's what my ideal top 5 for DLC would be:
1. Dixie Kong
2. Captain Toad
3. Impa
4. Chibi-Robo
5. Balloon Fighter

dezeray112

Smash Hero
Whilst I can't exactly determine whether the fighter's pass is going to be a mix of first and third party characters or just first or third party characters only, here is my new revised list:

1. Joker - Persona 5 - Confirmed
2. Jin Kazama - Tekken
3. Terry Bogard - Fatal Fury
4. Square Enix character
5. A first party character.

User Name String

Smash Apprentice
Now that Jokers out I'll make a bad prediction
1. Need I Say?
2. FE Protagonist due to spring release
3. Dragon Quest Slime or Protagonist
4. Pokemon Gen 8
5. A MC (Chief or Steve) from Microsoft.
-hopefully wrong.

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
I see so many people putting a gen 8 Pokémon on their expectation lists.

Did I miss a major announcement? Gen 7 is still going, and the only thing I’ve heard are rumors that the next Pokémon game will be on Switch, but not anything even close to a timeframe. Are we really going to get Gen 8 randomly released on us at E3 or something?

Captain Shades

Smash Ace
I see so many people putting a gen 8 Pokémon on their expectation lists.

Did I miss a major announcement? Gen 7 is still going, and the only thing I’ve heard are rumors that the next Pokémon game will be on Switch, but not anything even close to a timeframe. Are we really going to get Gen 8 randomly released on us at E3 or something?
When Let’s Go was announced they said there next gen was coming next year. Technically it already is here as Meltan is considered a gen 8 Pokémon. Basically it was announced as Go was getting hate from the hard core community and Nintendo wanted to reassure long time fans that Go was just a spin-off.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
When Let’s Go was announced they said there next gen was coming next year. Technically it already is here as Meltan is considered a gen 8 Pokémon. Basically it was announced as Go was getting hate from the hard core community and Nintendo wanted to reassure long time fans that Go was just a spin-off.
from what ive seen most consider metlan and melmetal a gen 7

Door Key Pig

Smash Lord
Was there something about Nintendo wanting Corrin as Smash 4 DLC to "break-up" the 3rd party/veteran DLC of that game? And was there contempt on Sakurai's team's side at doing another Fire Emblem character? Because if so, I could see a tiny chance of Rhythm Heaven character being in as a sole first party DLC as the one active Nintendo franchise that hasn't been properly represented in Ultimate, also being another new series to bring to the table in Ultimate.

...Well I can dream. And I don't see 8th gen Pokemon happening after we literally just got Incineroar??

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Here's essentially my wishlist for who I want in the fighter pack. I will upload my more realistic predictions later.

Joker (Persona) (Confirmed)
Saki Amamiya (Sin & Punishment)
Kat & Ana (WarioWare)
Amy Rose (Sonic)
Amaterasu (Okami)

SAMation

Smash Journeyman
Gonna go ahead and change my top 5 with the new information:

1) Joker (obviously)
2) Banjo
3) Crono
4) Scorpion
5) Tracer

WaddleMatt

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 5950 1333 3717
My current predictions are this:

Joker (Confirmed duh)
Bano-Kazooie
Lloyd Irving

As for others I don't know, I think we are getting at least 1 new Nintendo character and am sure it won't be something like what people are throwing around such as Edelgard, a Gen 8 Pokemon or Sylux because I really really don't see it happening. Also I'm unsure on a SE rep now but I think its possible. I'm expecting anyone from this pool:

Erdrick
Geno
Sora
Lara Croft
Bandana Dee
Elma
Monster Hunter
Isaac
Waluigi
Rayman

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero
My new list.

- Joker (confirmed)
- New Namco character. (Tekken or Tales character to be specific)
- Dragalia Lost rep or a new Square Enix character. (Dragon Quest specifically.)
- Dante
- Rex and Pyra (Sakurai likes them. Xenoblade 2 was big. They were just too late to join the roster initially. So now is a good time)

Honestly, I can’t think of any good reasons since Joker kind of throws most reasoning out the window for me.

Last edited:

Wiinner159

Smash Hero
NNID
Make a guess...
3DS FC
2251-6491-9042
Might as well update my own now that we've actually gotten a confirmation now. Keep in mind I'm still half-basing this on my own personal interests but also taking Reggie's comment on characters from games not already in Smash into account.

1. Joker

Nothing much for me to say here due to my unfamiliarity in the franchise but my guess is they'd go with with one of the palaces that Joker visits since those seem to have the possibility of being very unique and interesting aesthetically. As for music I'm pretty sure the all-too-famous "You'll Never See it Coming" song will make it in, but aside from that I'm unfamiliar.

2. Sora

Yeah I'm still having my hopes out for this keyblade-wielding dummy. Dude's got crazy moveset potential since almost every game has him shake things up even by just a little bit. The whole "owned by Disney" thing is a non-issue since it's more in name than anything, Square can do whatever they want within reason for the character. Still hoping out for a "World that Never Was" stage as that can easily be translated over to Smash due to it's floaty and disconnected platform style. Music I'm still holding out for boss themes like Darkness of the Unknown or the Encounter but some regular enemy themes like Sinister Shadows. Best case scenario though we get Rage Awakened, Riku's theme, and Dark Impetus.

3. Shantae

The other character from my original list that I've brought back, she's a spirit sure but it could still always be possible, albeit a bit unlikely. Once again like before I think Scuttle Town would work as a stage due to it being primarily used as introductory stages in the Shantae games with it usually being raided or attacked in some way, shape, or form. High up on the rooftops would work perfectly. As for music as previously mentioned any of the Burning Town themes from previous themes would work great, as well as the boss music from Pirate's Curse. Really most of the Shantae music is fun and energetic enough to fit as a Smash theme as far as I remember.

4. Dante from the Devil May Cry series

He's not exactly a family-friendly type character but dang would he be a fun competitor to add to Smash, especially with the release of DMC5 coming soon. Nero could theoretically also work but Dante's the iconic one of the franchise as well as having a bunch more weapons to mess around with. He's got a huge repertoire of weapons that he utilizes in his games so his moveset potential is just as high as Sora's. Plus having Dante's cool dude attitude that sure, can probably get annoying for some (I know it didn't help Bayo in the Smash 4 days) but if they do him well and don't make him completely overpowered he could be a ton of fun to add in. The infamous Temen-Ni-Gru from Devil May Cry 3 could serve as an excellent stage for him due to the verticality and general variety of the place. Devil's Never Cry could be a great theme for him being one of his most iconic, and with how insanely popular Devil Trigger is as a song I can easily see it being added in as well. Dante could add a bunch of heavy metal battle themes that could add to the variety of Smash's OST.

5. Chosen Undead

Pipe dream within a pipe dream of a character choice but dang would I be so happy if we somehow got a Dark Souls rep. While it'd be more likely that they'd just have them wield 1-2 different weapons from the game they could theoretically have a bunch of different weapons to choose from, alongside some magical attacks. They could easily differentiate themselves from most sword users for being much slower than the rest. Having to be more deliberate in their swings but when they read the enemy just right they can do a LOT of damage really fast with a riposte or say crystal soul spear. Kinda like Robin in a way I suppose if we'd have to make a comparison. As for staging nothing could work better than the infamous Blight Town, this time without frame drops or toxin galore. It's layout would work perfectly for a Smash stage, mayhaps shaping up slightly like Suzaku's Castle from SF. As for music really any of the boss themes from the trilogy would do, Soul of Cinder, Old Ivory King, Ornstein and Smough, etc etc.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
I've came down to my final prediction.

1. Banjo-Kazooie
2. Dante
3. Erdrick
4. Joker (Confirmed)
5. Lloyd Irving

Starblax

Smash Apprentice
pfffff ok let's do it
1. Joker (Got this one correct. Don't know how I guessed this but iunno. I did lol.)
2. Banjo
3. Doomguy
4. Sora/Neku/Erdrick
5. No idea

For the last character, my guesses are ranging from about Edelgard, Monster Hunter, Lloyd Irving, hell we might even get Sans. I legitimately don't know. Leaning toward Monster Hunter for now though.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
For those of you who wanted Travis Touchdown and Master Chief in the game, sorry, their creators have just disconfirmed them.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
if we have a sega character, do you suppose theres a chance the other four companies each have a dlc character?

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
if we have a sega character, do you suppose theres a chance the other four companies each have a dlc character?
There's been rumors that one of the Fighter Pass characters is an SE character, so it may be possible that Capcom, Konami, and Namco Bandai get DLC characters.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
There's been rumors that one of the Fighter Pass characters is an SE character, so it may be possible that Capcom, Konami, and Namco Bandai get DLC characters.
yeah that was part of my thinking

Last edited:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
My bets.

Capcom - Monster Hunter/Phoenix Wright
Microsoft - Banjo-Kazooie
Namco - Lloyd Irving
Square Enix - Erdrick

Strider_123

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0688-5583-7738
Here's essentially my wishlist for who I want in the fighter pack. I will upload my more realistic predictions later.

Kat & Ana (WarioWare)
Amy Rose (Sonic)
Amaterasu (Okami)
Nice choices! I'd go with
Tails (Sonic)
Amaterasu (Okami)
Gunvolt (gunvolt)

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
Just for fun, also merry christmas to everyone!
1. Joker (confirmed)
2. Lloyd Irving
3. Banjo Kazooie
4. Crash/Spyro
5. Sora

Dan

Smash Lord
I don't get what the point of predicting is anymore when they just blow our predictions out of the water; literally the first two DLC characters are Piranha Plant and Joker. I'm aware Piranha Plant isn't one of the five, but he is indeed DLC.

Ornl

Smash Ace
Reggie told the VGAs that the DLC characters will be from series we have "insuspectable", "never seen in Smash, whatever the form".
Sakurai wants to integrate characters that are "unique" and "different" into the Smash Bros. environment.
There are only 12 new fighters for Ultimate, it seems obvious that these 12 elected are each from different series, and different publishers for non-Nintendo content. No license will have had 9 or 4 non-Echo representations : Mario/Pokemon 8 - Zelda 6 - Fire Emblem 5 - DK/Metroid/Kirby/Starfox 3. Not 4.

-> Bye bye Travis Touchdown, Master Chief, Dante + Konami, Sega, Monster Hunter, Lloyd Irving, Heihachi Mishima, Rayman... and all the characters of the Nintendo licenses already represented. Rareware ? Be careful... King K. Rool and Krystal were created by Rareware.

It turns out that Persona 5 and Dragon Quest III are the 2 favorite games of Japaneses : https://www.dualshockers.com/persona-5-best-game-time-famitsu/ Joker is the first DLC. The second is potentially Erdrick. But they was the easiest to find. There are only three places left, and this is where it gets complicated.

Happy holiday season!

Last edited:
Top Bottom