• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Few, The Proud, The Randoms...

BlueTerrorist

Smash Ace
There are a few players a few which play the game like everybody else. However, there's one thing that set's them apart a bit, they have no main whatsoever. However, each of these players reason for doing this totally different. Some people usually ask me who my main is. When I tell them I don't have one and play with anybody, some of them are shocked or are in disbelief and think that your just pulling their chain.

My reason is simple, I pretty much enjoy al the playstyles that all the characters offer. That and I'm not the type of person to be loyal to just 1 or 4 characters. Some people may think that you need a main to win tourneys. I'm here to say, I honestly don't believe in that. Not trying to impose anything, different strokes for different folks, I just think that playing smart will win you matches no matter the situation.

I made this to also see if anybody else plays with everybody like I do. I'm very interested (and probably others) in your story. Everyone's welcome here :).

Barge

All I want is a custom title
You say you have no main, but you have a sonic related sig and avatar. Highly Suspect.

I wonder whats fer DINNER

Amitwin

Smash Rookie
There's no doubt you can play all characters well, and enjoy them all equally, but i don't think that within in a tournament context it's a viable option to "main random." Characters have distinct matchups against one another and by not knowing who you're using you could end up with a terrible matchup and a distinct disadvantage from the off (especially with x amount of MK/Snake around).

I don't think it's unreasonable to play multiple people well, and competitively at that, but i wouldn't leave it down to the wii to give you captain falcon in a tourney.

Neon Ness

Designated Procrastinator
I think you're absolutely correct, you don't need a main to win tournaments. If you play everyone, then you have not only every weakness, but also every strength at your disposal. You can counter any and all characters at will. But the downside is that by playing everyone, you don't fully develop your skills with anyone. You don't necessarily learn all there is to know about any one character and execute those skills properly and naturally-- that's what we do when we main a few. It'd take a long time to do that with everyone... you'd have to be like M2K or someone...

BlueTerrorist

Smash Ace
You say you have no main, but you have a sonic related sig and avatar. Highly Suspect.

I wonder whats fer DINNER
:p I think that avatar is cool. And besides people can have a character related sig and use someone else lol :laugh:. Like I told everyone, if you got cool sigs or gifs send them my way (No stolen ones please :))

There's no doubt you can play all characters well, and enjoy them all equally, but i don't think that within in a tournament context it's a viable option to "main random." Characters have distinct matchups against one another and by not knowing who you're using you could end up with a terrible matchup and a distinct disadvantage from the off (especially with x amount of MK/Snake around).

I don't think it's unreasonable to play multiple people well, and competitively at that, but i wouldn't leave it down to the wii to give you captain falcon in a tourney.
I don't know about others, but I usually hand pick my randoms in tourneys just for that reason stated above :bee:. So yeah, random can be viable if you don't leave it up to the Wii.

TheWaft

Smash Journeyman
Illinois--I live in a suburb of chicago. Looking f
IT would, i must say, really help in a tourney to main random. Because, if you study matchups well, you could just pick a character that is good against your opponets character, but if both players mained random, it would take a pretty long time to come to an acoord on who each person would use (lol, just like when switch hitters and switch pitchers play against each other in baseball)

OmegaXXII

Fire Emblem Lord/ Trophy Hunter
but if both players mained random, it would take a pretty long time to come to an acoord on who each person would use (lol, just like when switch hitters and switch pitchers play against each other in baseball)

yea, I don't even want to think about it, I mean ,it's not like I don't enjoy playing as other characters's, it's just when it would come down random, there would be dissagrements.

Pluvia's other account

Smash Master
Lucas isn't my main, yet I 3 stocked a level 9 Snake and Dedede with him on my first go, then absolutely destroyed a level 9 Meta-Knight, Diddy Kong and Pikachu. I played one match against my friend Jordan, who I usually have no trouble beating, and he 3 stocked my Lucas.

The thing is, due to Brawls really small learning curve, it's extremely easy to be good with every character, but it's much harder to be really good with every character.

Except Meta-Knight and Pikachu.

XACE-K

Smash Master
Well I like to play with Random just for fun and mindgames. I'm not good with every character but I can at least play as them without looking like a total idiot (Jiggs could be an exception...).

But as for using Random in a tourney, there's a very little chance of that happening. I wouldn't like if the choice of picking Random back-fired. To top it off, I'm somewhat superstitious for important matches. I need to play as the character I want with the color I like. If that doesn't happen, I'm most likely gonna lose.

tl;dr, I play Random for fun but never for important matches.

acv

Smash Journeyman
i use random.except when i am against a character with a chaingrab.in which case i just choose a non chaingrabable character,which means i only use random about one in every 2 battles.

BlueTerrorist

Smash Ace
Lucas isn't my main, yet I 3 stocked a level 9 Snake and Dedede with him on my first go, then absolutely destroyed a level 9 Meta-Knight, Diddy Kong and Pikachu. I played one match against my friend Jordan, who I usually have no trouble beating, and he 3 stocked my Lucas.

The thing is, due to Brawls really small learning curve, it's extremely easy to be good with every character, but it's much harder to be really good with every character.

Except Meta-Knight and Pikachu.
Too true, Brawl doesn't have a huge learning curve. Though I don't see how hard it is to be really good with every character.

SothE700k

Smash Lord
Too true, Brawl doesn't have a huge learning curve. Though I don't see how hard it is to be really good with every character.
You'd be surprised....You can learn the basics of every character, but to know to actually use a character for every situation, the frame rate datas, set ups and everything else, it takes awhile.

If someone wants to main Random, be ready to crack open every book and every piece of information they can find about ANYTHING. Its like studying for the final exam on all 8 Honor class subjects and need to pass them with flying colors.
(No, that's not an exaggeration, its happened in my old high school to people.)

Ulti

Smash Journeyman
Haha, I usually main Snake in tournament play. In a teams tournament one time, one of my opponents told me to play Random and he said he would too -- we agreed to stick to the random button for the entire set (my partner and I didn't think we were in the money). We decided to record the set and the result was this....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e32X8EuFgaA

Oddly enough, this set resulted in us getting second and getting some money (it was a round robin tournament). Oddest victory ever, haha. I'm seriously considering maining the random button in brawl from here on out, too much fun not to for me.

Edit: above isn't to show mad skilz or anything, the set was just hilarious.

woopyfrood

Smash Lord
I have a Brawl main, but it seems to be ever-changing...

Currently, I'm pretty good with ROB...

SonicLucario

Smash Journeyman
Haha, I usually main Snake in tournament play. In a teams tournament one time, one of my opponents told me to play Random and he said he would too -- we agreed to stick to the random button for the entire set (my partner and I didn't think we were in the money). We decided to record the set and the result was this....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e32X8EuFgaA

Oddly enough, this set resulted in us getting second and getting some money (it was a round robin tournament). Oddest victory ever, haha. I'm seriously considering maining the random button in brawl from here on out, too much fun not to for me.

Edit: above isn't to show mad skilz or anything, the set was just hilarious.
YES!!!!

That was soooooo fun lol:psycho:

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
Smash Boards won't beleive OP becuase Smashboards think's the game is grossely imbalanced.

This is becuase they don't play anyone besides Meta-Knight

Top Bottom