• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Falcon Match-Up Index

Darky-Sama

Smash Lord
NNID
Darky-Sama
The Falcon Match-Up Index
(Subject to Changing)

[Many thanks to Onishiba for the basis of this guide.]

Match-Up General Discussion Thread:

( http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=280030 )

!! CURRENT LINK IS TEMPORARY !!

Guide to Match-Up Ratios by Praxis

50:50
Very even matchup. Definition should be fairly obvious.

55:45
No character has a true solid advantage, but one has seemingly better/easier tools,
or one character profits more from winning a rock/paper/scissors guessing game.

60:40
One character has clearly better tools in the matchup.
However, the other character does have responses him,
and the matchup is still winnable through outplaying the opponent
or out spacing his tools and countering with the weaker ones well placed.

65:35
One character has options that shut down the other's options.
Counterpicking should be considered, but it's not completely unwinnable,
but rather simply requires one player to far outplay the other.

70:30
Something about the character in the advantage completely shuts down
the other character. Counterpicking is heavily recommended -
or rely on them not knowing the matchup and you knowing it incredibly well.

Anything past 70:30
Pretty much unwinnable matchups like Dedede vs Donkey Kong.

Quick Links:
The Captain Falcon Q&A Thread
The Falcon Boards' Compendium of Knowledge
The Ultimate Falcon Guide v1.1

Character-Specific Match-Up Discussion

Note: Many links have not yet been given.
This chart will be updated as frequently as possible.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
LEGEND:

0% - No Match-Up Export available yet (see General Discussion for a bit more info)
25% - Export Available, Discussion in Progress
50% - Temporary Ratio Complete, In-Detail Discussion in Progress
75% - In-Detail Discussion Complete, Creating Summary
100% - Match-Up Complete!
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

S Tier

A Tier

B Tier

C Tier

D Tier

E Tier

F Tier

Darky-Sama

Smash Lord
NNID
Darky-Sama
It looks nice, but why is it stickied already?
It's a Match-Up Index. It's providing links to different match-ups.
Makes it easy for people to find things in our unorganized board.

Yeah, it's not filled up yet, I know. I plan to start a new General Match-Up Discussion Thread between today and tomorrow.

lordhelmet

Smash Master
I know you said you'd be busy this weekend, but which ones are you going to put in?

MK: 85-15, ZSS: 60-40

They did discuss Luigi and Pika in the second match-up thread as well.

shadyf0o

Smash Journeyman
I'm not sure if posts in this thread are being considered in the forming of the matchups, but I'm not too sure I agree with the 70:30 matchup for falcon vs. snake.

I am an honest to god falcon main. I don't play him as a joke, I actually main him. I actually play him in tournaments, where I actually compete fairly well considering I am using falcon.

I get the feeling that it was just assumed that falcon has a horrible match up against snake because he's snake, but I think more time should be taken to consider this match-up, because I think it is one of his very few good ones. I actually prefer playing snakes over alot of other chars.

Snakes up b is one reason I think the match up is more even (amongst various other reasons)

Snakes up-b (when performed off the ledge) is very susceptible to knees and up-airs. One correctly landed knee off the ledge can kill a snake (who usually dies insanely late) fairly early. Falcons spike is also pretty easy to land.

Falcon can also lock snake in the air with his raptor boost. If you connect with your raptor boost off the ledge, you can continuously nail it over and over because snakes recovery path is predictable.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4-sNqd5xiNw

The above link is me demonstrating what I have coined the "Shady Boost."

I know snake is crazy good and falcon is crazy bad, but I don't think this matchup is correct.

lordhelmet

Smash Master
I'm not sure if posts in this thread are being considered in the forming of the matchups, but I'm not too sure I agree with the 70:30 matchup for falcon vs. snake.

I am an honest to god falcon main. I don't play him as a joke, I actually main him. I actually play him in tournaments, where I actually compete fairly well considering I am using falcon.

I get the feeling that it was just assumed that falcon has a horrible match up against snake because he's snake, but I think more time should be taken to consider this match-up, because I think it is one of his very few good ones. I actually prefer playing snakes over alot of other chars.

Snakes up b is one reason I think the match up is more even (amongst various other reasons)

Snakes up-b (when performed off the ledge) is very susceptible to knees and up-airs. One correctly landed knee off the ledge can kill a snake (who usually dies insanely late) fairly early. Falcons spike is also pretty easy to land.

Falcon can also lock snake in the air with his raptor boost. If you connect with your raptor boost off the ledge, you can continuously nail it over and over because snakes recovery path is predictable.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4-sNqd5xiNw

The above link is me demonstrating what I have coined the "Shady Boost."

I know snake is crazy good and falcon is crazy bad, but I don't think this matchup is correct.

The match-up is closer to 67-33 imho. Snake has too many advantages to list, and the guy in the video needs to learn how to tech - oh and you killed yourself at the end.

teluoborg

Smash Otter
Premium
NNID
teloutre
The match-up is closer to 67-33 imho.
lmfao what the hell is 67-33 supposed to mean ?

And about the Snake matchup I think it's close to even in the perfect world of metaBrawl where nobody makes mistakes.
BUT in the real world people make mistakes and get punished.
Falcon punishing Snake does 10-20%.
Snake punishing Falcon does 20-50%, and happens a lot more than the previous since Snake plays defensive 24/7.
Thus 70-30 : play flawlessly or hope that Snake screws up.

Mit

Smash Ace
Snake's recovery should not be an issue when fighting Falcon because he should not be going off the stage low. Good Snake's will always DI up. Also, if Ally can continually dodge M2K's gimping efforts with Meta Knight, he sure as hell wouldn't have a problem with Falcon's.

And you better pray the Snake main doesn't know anything about the Falcon matchup. If he does, it's perfectly possible for him to stand still/walk at you, and destroy you. All he has to do is time his attacks with yours, and he will outprioritize everything Falcon does, every time, and will hurt a whole helluva lot more than Falcon does.

Snake is a strong disjointed character, and characters like that will forever be a thorn in Brawl Falcon's side.

BigLord

Smash Lord
NNID
BiigLord
3DS FC
3024-7470-9499
He probably means "Abandoned threads"? I dunno. It's a pity it's not getting worked on.

Darky-Sama

Smash Lord
NNID
Darky-Sama
We certainly can't do much about this thread until we finish the match-up guide, or at least finish a third of it. I plan on updating every 6-7 characters we discuss, we still haven't done so yet.

Darky-Sama

Smash Lord
NNID
Darky-Sama
{Based on the General Discussion Ratios.}

Updated; Chart.
Updated; Ratios.
Updated; Header.

Exports have yet to be started, so they'll remain blank for the time being.

A user name

Smash Journeyman
Some people actually think that match up is in ganons favor. At least some people agree with me that it's not.

Sovereign

Game Reaper
NNID
Sovereign90
Ganons say it's ganons favor, we say Falcon. We're all biased.
It depends on where your experience lies with either character. I've played/mained both, and it's clearly in Falcon's favor. It's a close case, but Falcon's speed, Ganon's weight, and terribly recovery equates to Falcon winning. They have nearly the same moveset, and capabilities, but Falcon pulls ahead, with being able to use more moves.

Top Bottom