• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Falcon Match-Up Index

Yung Mei

Where all da hot anime moms at
uhh, whats the Snake Falcon matchup? i see 35-45, 40-60, i dont even know anymore

Darky-Sama

Smash Lord
NNID
Darky-Sama
35:65 IMO.

Snake can't demolish us like most characters, but he's still a wall of priority. He's difficult to punish too due to his range, so that shuts down Falcon's options by a large fraction. He's easier than a lot of match-ups though.

I'd give his overall threat a 8/10. lol

Yung Mei

what would be a good strategy against snake?

im kinda leaning toward "keep him in the air, and use **** tons of uAir"

Darky-Sama

Smash Lord
NNID
Darky-Sama
If you can get him in the air, yeah. Abuse your Uair. He has a lot of knockback resistance due to his weight class, so smack him around with some spaced Uairs if you can. Like I recommend for just about every match-up for Falcon, abuse your grabs.

Dash -> Shield -> Grab is good, but it's difficult to use it against Snake since his tilts push you away so much. Just be really trigger happy with that shield button though and don't go in for anything stupid. If you don't think something will hit, then don't do it. You can't really take too many risks against Snake because he can turn a match around ridiculously quick if you're not careful. {or if you even get in the lead. lol}

Yung Mei

would jab/jab/grab/dThrow/nair be fine to use?

Darky-Sama

Smash Lord
NNID
Darky-Sama
I use that on occasions, but Uair is much more reliable. You're less likely to be punished for it. For Falcon's Nair to hit, you'd have to be within the range of Snake's Nair. Which I wouldn't risk. Dthrow doesn't give much knockback, so he wouldn't need to DI much. Throwing a Nair in wouldn't be risky for him at all.

Yung Mei

I use that on occasions, but Uair is much more reliable. You're less likely to be punished for it. For Falcon's Nair to hit, you'd have to be within the range of Snake's Nair. Which I wouldn't risk. Dthrow doesn't give much knockback, so he wouldn't need to DI much. Throwing a Nair in wouldn't be risky for him at all.
ahh ok. i need to study my options more :laugh:

lordhelmet

Smash Master
Does anyone know how much the first 3 hits of Snake's nair does? It's pretty easy to SDI and punishable with a bair, uair, or up-b

-Mr. T-

Smash Cadet
it doesnt do that much but if you dodge it you have him open for atleast 1 attack.

teluoborg

Smash Otter
Premium
NNID
teloutre
Entire Nair does something like 28%
So first 3 hits must at least do 15%

Otherwise Snake is the perfect matchup example where you shouldn't try anything funny. Just keep zoning with aerials until you see an opening, then land a Uair/Bair and repeat. Grabs work well when he uses his nades.

lordhelmet

Smash Master
Originally Posted by Vermanubis
50:50 - Even
55:45 - 60:40 - Slight to Moderate disadvantage
65:35 - 70:30 - Noticable disadvantage
75:25 - 80:20 - Severe disadvantage
85:15 - 90:10 - Nearly unwinnable
95:5 - 100:0 - Realistically unwinnable
Took from Ganon boards, I think it works better than what we have now, maybe merge the two. Considering that 7-3 isn't necessarily unwinnable. and IIRC DK vs D3 is 1-9

teluoborg

Smash Otter
Premium
NNID
teloutre
What's the difference between "moderate" and "noticable" ?

Personnally I'd prefer something like that :
5-5 : even or near even.
No character really has the upper hand.

4-6 : noticable disadvantage.
The opponent has some "hard to deal with" moves that give him the upper hand.

3-7 : severe disadvantage.
The opponent can fair with our entire gameplay by using one strategy.

2-8 : **** disadvantage.
The opponent can crush our entire gameplay by using one strategy.

1-9 and 0-10 are just here to look flashy on the chart and should never be used.
How does it sound ?

lordhelmet

Smash Master
It's too narrow and does't sound very professional. And "using one strategy" is rather subjective and doesn't define the match-up very well.

Verm's is just simple and straight to the point.

teluoborg

Smash Otter
Premium
NNID
teloutre
"Strait to the point", "professional",

Yeah fine let's go with an example.

Olimar/Falcon

Olimar just uses pivot grab, side B and Usmash and Falcon is screwed.

My list says it's 8-2 Olimar.
Verma's says it's ????
Is Falcon in a noticable disadvantage, in a severe disadvantage or in a nearly unwinnable situation ? What's the difference ?
Those words don't mean anything concrete.

lordhelmet

Smash Master
Match-ups aren't concrete either. And using "side B, usmash, and pivot grab" is not a "single strategy"

And furthermore Falcon isn't "screwed" if Olimar only uses those things, in fact that would be easy and predictable to beat.

On top of that "noticable disadvantage, in a severe disadvantage or in a nearly unwinnable situation" are all levels of severity if you will. Good/Better/Best for example.

Darky-Sama

Smash Lord
NNID
Darky-Sama
I have to agree with Helmet here. Although those are clearly Olimar's best moves, he does much better if he's using other attacks mixed in with it. I was playing someone yesterday and he was juggling me around with some of the most ridiculous combinations. Downthrow -> Upsmash -> Uair -> Uair -> Fair.

Olimar is ******** though, most of his combo potential relies on what Pikmin he has following him and in what order. So with that being said, yeah, it's important to watch out for those moves primarily. They don't screw Falcon over completely, but they're really stupid.

teluoborg

Smash Otter
Premium
NNID
teloutre
On top of that "noticable disadvantage, in a severe disadvantage or in a nearly unwinnable situation" are all levels of severity if you will. Good/Better/Best for example.
Yes, yes I know. What I don't know is which level of severity is the Oli matchup ? And how can you justify it ?

And why are you taking a one line example so seriously ? Olimar doesn't need mixups, so he beats us with one strategy.

Also it's not a final version, I just made the defs as I was typing so it needs some correction.

Darky-Sama

Smash Lord
NNID
Darky-Sama
That applies for just about any match-up that doesn't have a single match-leveling move. Like Pikachu's chaingrab on Falcon, Olimar's grabs, up+B, smashes. If it doesn't shut the character down completely, then it usually just relies on who's more skilled.

I'm sure Falcon could beat Snake on a professional level, considering he doesn't completely shut us down. So I wouldn't say Falcon "can't win", it's just not gonna be that easy.

I do agree on the ratio though. lol

lordhelmet

Smash Master
Teluoborg yours just doesn't work because "the use of one strategy" is both extremely general and linear. It just doesn't make sense.

I took Verm's quote because it better suits characters with lots of bad match-ups than Praxis' does.

Took from Ganon boards, I think it works better than what we have now, maybe merge the two. Considering that 7-3 isn't necessarily unwinnable. and IIRC DK vs D3 is 1-9
EDIT:

Just re-read over the one we have. I think we just need to change "Anything past 30-70" to something a little more sugar-coated.

teluoborg

Smash Otter
Premium
NNID
teloutre
Well the actual one is still true, "anything past 30-70" is unwinnable.
Now Falcon isn't Ganon.
Ganon is so bad that he deserves a special chart so his boards can debate at which degree he gets ***** by each character.

I don't think Falcon has more than 4 or 5 matchup that go under the 30-70 line.

As I see it the vast majority of Falcon's matchups is 35-65 or 30-70, so we should focus on this instead of a range that only concerns MK, Oli, Falco and ICs.

Darky-Sama

Smash Lord
NNID
Darky-Sama
I would try to make it look better, but you all know I'm a lazy ****. lol. Maybe one of these days I'll get into drugs, shoot up some heroine, take some meds and get all hyper and want to organize everything.

Ramzeh

Smash Ace
I would try to make it look better, but you all know I'm a lazy ****. lol. Maybe one of these days I'll get into drugs, shoot up some heroine, take some meds and get all hyper and want to organize everything.
growin up so quick

Greward

Smash Lord
cp2 is ranked first in spain and lion is ranked 17th
cp2 has never lost a tourney set before this
the tourney was one week ago

Greward

Smash Lord
lion has never quitted or been ranked 3rd. his first rank where 23rd, even though he placed 3rd in a regional tourney

Top Bottom