• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Fairy with Fighting Spirit: Lip for Smash! *Play Panel de Pon on NSO!*

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
For me, I've been fond of Windy as of late. Another idea I had after I woke up was Lip and Windy working like an Ice Climbers duo, replacing their ice chunks with panel blocks. Maybe a modder could look into that...
I love Windy too. Lip is my favorite, but Windy's just so cute and bubbly! And she's really fun to write dialogue for too.

MasterRosie

Smash Journeyman
Wow, this thread was at around 58 pages like yesterday, and it’s now at 60. Congrats, I guess? :upsidedown:

But on the topic of the fairies, even though I support Lip for smash, (her being the main protagonist and everything) my favorite of the bunch is Flare. Why?
Well....
Just from that pose alone, she looks the more sassy, hotheaded character with an attitude. I have always liked the character that has some quirk or attitude to them, as it makes them stand out from the rest. I guess that also explains why I like :ultsonic: because of his cocky attitude. (Even tho others hate him because of it, but I prefer Sonic’s character over Mario’s even if Mario has the better games.)
Although if we got a game similar to what I explained a few pages back, I feel she should have a cocky, hotheaded attitude but give her a proper background or backstory that explains the reasoning why she acts the way she does. Then, she would be more likable despite the attitude.

(Also: Geno is NOT a retro character, just putting that out there.)

Last edited:

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
That said, Minecraft's Nintendo releases were really recent in 2017, so unless they knew he'd be huge enough to show up on a Nintendo console two years after the Ultimate plans started, whether they included him or not is ambiguous at this stage.
Actually, MC hit the Wii U in December 2015, right around when Ultimate's project plan was finalized.

I think Nintendo notifies Sakurai of upcoming releases but idk.

I just wanted to point that out, sorry if I'm interrupting anything.

NukeA6

Smash Master
Let's drop the top of Minecraft and leaks and get back on topic. Who's your favorite Panel de Pon character?
It's always been Flare since the old days but I've taken a liking to Sherbet recently since I do like females with Super Saiyan-like hair for some odd reason. Even in real life.

WideMouthInk

Smash Cadet
Been a while since I've played the original game, but I did always fancy Flare and Thiana's designs.
Of course, we all know that Thanatos is the best bae, hands down.

So, here's a question that's been on my mind for a while.
Regardless if Lip gets into Smash or not. Do you guys plan to continue supporting Panel de Pon?
Or is there already a group like this outside of this community that I am not aware of.

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
Regardless if Lip gets into Smash or not. Do you guys plan to continue supporting Panel de Pon?
Or is there already a group like this outside of this community that I am not aware of.
I definitely will. There's a Discord server where a bunch of Panel de Pon fans (including me!) hang out if you're interested in joining it, I linked it earlier in the thread. It's pretty small right now with only a few active members, but there's room for expansion.

MasterRosie

Smash Journeyman
I was also thinking maybe some animated shorts that Nintendo could also make and upload alongside the release of a new Panel de Pon game?
And, if that got popular enough, a full animated series starring the PdP cast?
I dunno, I like to imagine PdP being the next big flagship title for Nintendo.
It’s kinda why I feel having a 3D exploration game along with facing enemies in traditional battle puzzles would be better for the series rather than just doing what Puyo Puyo did. It would give PdP it’s own unique identity and make it more than just another puzzle title. It should definitely have some innovation in it imo.

Last edited:

Jyl

Smash Journeyman
Regarding each fairies, Ruby's theme is my personal favorite
Ruby's theme

Been a while since I've played the original game, but I did always fancy Flare and Thiana's designs.
Of course, we all know that Thanatos is the best bae, hands down.

Of course, I'll buy 2 copies for the next Panel de Pon game that releases worldwide, one for me and one for my family.

NukeA6

Smash Master
I'll probably buy the next Panel de Pon especially if it's a crossover but that's about as far as my support goes. I know, pretty sad but things have changed since 2006-2008. But who knows? Maybe if it collided with Tetris or Puyo Puyo, I might get my interest ignited again but I do suck at puzzle games.

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
It’s kinda why I feel having a 3D exploration game along with facing enemies in traditional battle puzzles would be better for the series rather than just doing what Puyo Puyo did. It would give PdP it’s own unique identity and make it more than just another puzzle title. It should definitely have some innovation in it imo.
This is basically what I want. The world's got enough personality to it that it'd just work as an adventure-focused game, you know? We need to pitch that to Nintendo right now.

MasterRosie

Smash Journeyman
I even did some brainstorming for ideas of a new PdP title:
- Each Fairy Island (Flower World, Windy World, Ice World) would be split apart into different parts or environments to explore.
For a more modern ‘Flower World’ I thought maybe having areas to modernize it a bit. Maybe a small flower based town called Perrenial Plaza, based on Perrenial Flowers. Maybe an open field near Lip’s mushroom home called Floret Fields or Flower Fields. Possibly a shrine-like cave called Chrysanthemum Cave. And these are just areas to explore on Lip’s flower world. Imagine what the other worlds would be like, each with their own different theme.
- The puzzle battle system would be unique in that the panels would contain different elements to them, and kinda like Pokémon, enemies have certain element types to them that make them more weak to certain elements than others. (If someone would rather play the game more traditionally like the original, that option would be there too for veterans who prefer the original) For example, an enemy with Fire elements would be weak to Elias’s Water panels. An enemy with water based elements would be weak to Thiana’s Forest based panels. Matching elemental panels up not only add garbage blocks to the foe’s side, but also attack the foe’s HP directly as well, so there is more than one way to defeat them.You collect these different panels as you go saving Lip’s different fairy friends throughout her journey to stop Thanatos’s curse and save other fairies along her way. (Since Lip is playable since the beginning, her Flower element should deal normal damage to every element but Fire) They also help Lip along her journey, and they are selectable to play as you go along. There could also be a same element based thing where if you play as Windy, for example, and match up wind panels, it deals some extra damage due to Windy being associated with that element. There could also be panels that heal you, boost your fairies defense, etc. Each fairy that took part in a puzzle battle gains exp.
- Certain pathways in the explorable over world would be accessible but with a certain fairy friend in your party at the time. Like, maybe a part of Thiana’s Forest World requires you to burn past a thick patch of leaves, requiring Flare’s Fire ability to get past. These areas would not be mandatory, but maybe have some extra secrets or items to collect later, adding to more exploration of the game.

Just some ideas I brainstormed.
What can I say? I have a lot of time on my hands.

Jyl

Smash Journeyman
I even did some brainstorming for ideas of a new PdP title:
- Each Fairy Island (Flower World, Windy World, Ice World) would be split apart into different parts or environments to explore.
For a more modern ‘Flower World’ I thought maybe having areas to modernize it a bit. Maybe a small flower based town called Perrenial Plaza, based on Perrenial Flowers. Maybe an open field near Lip’s mushroom home called Floret Fields or Flower Fields. Possibly a shrine-like cave called Chrysanthemum Cave. And these are just areas to explore on Lip’s flower world. Imagine what the other worlds would be like, each with their own different theme.
- The puzzle battle system would be unique in that the panels would contain different elements to them, and kinda like Pokémon, enemies have certain element types to them that make them more weak to certain elements than others. (If someone would rather play the game more traditionally like the original, that option would be there too for veterans who prefer the original) For example, an enemy with Fire elements would be weak to Elias’s Water panels. An enemy with water based elements would be weak to Thiana’s Forest based panels. Matching elemental panels up not only add garbage blocks to the foe’s side, but also attack the foe’s HP directly as well, so there is more than one way to defeat them.You collect these different panels as you go saving Lip’s different fairy friends throughout her journey to stop Thanatos’s curse and save other fairies along her way. (Since Lip is playable since the beginning, her Flower element should deal normal damage to every element but Fire) They also help Lip along her journey, and they are selectable to play as you go along. There could also be a same element based thing where if you play as Windy, for example, and match up wind panels, it deals some extra damage due to Windy being associated with that element. There could also be panels that heal you, boost your fairies defense, etc. Each fairy that took part in a puzzle battle gains exp.
- Certain pathways in the explorable over world would be accessible but with a certain fairy friend in your party at the time. Like, maybe a part of Thiana’s Forest World requires you to burn past a thick patch of leaves, requiring Flare’s Fire ability to get past. These areas would not be mandatory, but maybe have some extra secrets or items to collect later, adding to more exploration of the game.

Just some ideas I brainstormed.
What can I say? I have a lot of time on my hands.
Seems a bit complicated but not bad.
I would like them to keep the traditional Puzzle League gameplay, since the gameplay is what made it so popular in the first place.

Last edited:

MasterRosie

Smash Journeyman
Seems a bit complicated but not bad.
I would like them to keep the traditional Puzzle League gameplay, since the gameplay is what made it so popular in the first place.
That option would always be there.
I felt that upgrading the puzzle system would also reel in different types of players who prefer more match up based puzzle gameplay.

(Or maybe have the traditional PdP puzzle game be another game mode if we prefer more of a reimagining based game.)

Last edited:

smashkirby

Smash Hero
So, I've been thinking about the idea of Windy being an AT, unleashing mini-twisters upon the stage. Just imagine unleashing a uncharged "Smash Swing" with the Ore Club, and those are the mini-twisters I see Windy unleashing from her hands.

Jyl

Smash Journeyman
So, I've been thinking about the idea of Windy being an AT, unleashing mini-twisters upon the stage. Just imagine unleashing a uncharged "Smash Swing" with the Ore Club, and those are the mini-twisters I see Windy unleashing from her hands.
I'd rather have the entire Fairies appear on the Panel de Pon stage as background characters or hazards.
For a Panel de Pon assist trophy, maybe the phoenix or Lip's mother?

SchAlternate

Smash Master
NNID
SchAlternate
Switch FC
SW-4691-2422-5427
My goodness this thread got heated. Guess that's just the nature of that subject matter.

Speaking of which, my favorite fairies have to be either Flare or Tiana. I love all things related to the element of fire, and Tiana is pretty cute, and has nice soothing theme.

MasterRosie

Smash Journeyman
Y’know, I’ve actually been meaning to ask this for a while:
While the fairy cast has been female for the most part, how do you guys actually feel about Kain from the GameCube PdP never released outside of Japan?

Jyl

Smash Journeyman
While the fairy cast has been female for the most part, how do you guys actually feel about Kain from the GameCube PdP never released outside of Japan?
I admittingly never played it so I can't comment on it, but I don't mind male characters in a female dominated series.

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
Not opposed to the idea of male Panel de Pon characters, but I do legitimately enjoy how female-skewing the original SNES game's cast his. It's still unique among gaming casts. Even Puyo Puyo can't claim that.

I'm also not sure if Kain is a fairy exactly. He has the pointy ears, but he's not really specified to be a fairy in the game, as far as I'm aware. The closest we get is "prince of the sun".

Iko MattOrr

Smash Champion
NNID
Iko_MattOrr
I'm usually not a big fan of stuff (games, anime, etc.) where every character (or almost) is of the same gender (either way), I prefer when there is a balance.
Though I don't care that much, really, and I'm fine with the way Panel de Pon is.
I think that Twinkle Star Sprites did a good job at balancing the genders, the focus is still on female characters, but there are a decent amount of male (and genderless/unknown) characters too; despite this, they don't feel out of place (well, 3 of them are considered as one character gameplay-wise, but they are still 3).
Yeah they could have avoided giving the cat that kind of personality, but still.

I wouldn't mind male characters in Panel de Pon as long as they are made in a way that they fit with the game's universe and the style of the game.
Also, if it helps the series to be accepted more in occident, it's all good, at least for me.

MasterRosie

Smash Journeyman
I’m sensing an opposite smurfs effect happening here....
Unless there are more male fairies in the series just not talked about.
I mean, apparently, the fairies we see in the GameCube PdP are daughters of the original PdP cast on the Super Famicom. So...this means Lip, Flare, Windy, and the others have husbands in the future, right? If not, then I guess that there’s some alternative we don’t know about?
..........Tfw you wonder about the reproduction of fictional fairies.

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
I’m sensing an opposite smurfs effect happening here....
Unless there are more male fairies in the series just not talked about.
I mean, apparently, the fairies we see in the GameCube PdP are daughters of the original PdP cast on the Super Famicom. So...this means Lip, Flare, Windy, and the others have husbands in the future, right? If not, then I guess that there’s some alternative we don’t know about?
..........Tfw you wonder about the reproduction of fictional fairies.
...Parthenogenesis?

StarDustStorm

Smash Journeyman
Even Lip isn't playable again, then you would at least be able to use Lip's Theme in any series considered in the "Other" Section in Ultimate. It would work similarly to series with playable characters right?

『SwingingStar』

Smash Cadet
Even Lip isn't playable again, then you would at least be able to use Lip's Theme in any series considered in the "Other" Section in Ultimate. It would work similarly to series with playable characters right?
If Lip were playable, she'd get a section, most likely. If she doesn't, her theme would go under Other.

Bear in mind the tracks under Other are in order of release, and all pictures we've seen of it end way before 95.

Last edited:

MasterRosie

Smash Journeyman
I guess so.....

But I’d like to imagine a music section with a block icon on it labeled ‘Panel de Pon’.

..............………
I can dream. ;-;

StarDustStorm

Smash Journeyman
I guess so.....

But I’d like to imagine a music section with a block icon on it labeled ‘Panel de Pon’.

..............………
I can dream. ;-;
If Lip were playable, she'd get a section, most likely. If she doesn't, her theme would go under Other.

Bear in mind the tracks under Other are in order of release, and all pictures we've seen of it end way before 95.
Remember that Pilotwings (SNES) and Pilotwings Resort (3DS) are both in the Other section in SSB4, so even if they were to include any other music from beyond the SFC game the songs would still be in the Other section. Pilotwings has more representation than Panel de Pon via a stage. They said that if a series has no playable characters or is from one game.

Last edited:

Jyl

Smash Journeyman

This gives me some slight hopes. Very slight.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
I listened to the entire soundtrack of Panel de Pon this morning on my way to work.

My favorite themes has to be Flare, Lip, Thiana... actually every fairy theme is pretty great.

The tracks are all relaxing to listen to, they all put me in a relaxed state of mind.

Jyl

Smash Journeyman
I listened to the entire soundtrack of Panel de Pon this morning on my way to work.

My favorite themes has to be Flare, Lip, Thiana... actually every fairy theme is pretty great.

The tracks are all relaxing to listen to, they all put me in a relaxed state of mind.
Yeah they are all great actually. I like Ruby's theme personally. If there's a Lip stage I want all of them remixed. And maybe when the stage starts instead of the usual 3, 2, 1 Start, it'll be the original Panel de Pon start jingle complete with Lip's "ikuso!"
Would anyone get highly emotional if she was revealed?
Probably. Actually I might just scream "YES" and that's it.

NukeA6

Smash Master
Would anyone get highly emotional if she was revealed?
For a gaming reveal? I find it ridiculous anyone ever would (besides excitement and disappointment). Whatever, truth is that I would just be happy if she were in.

Jyl

Smash Journeyman
If Lip does make it in, I hope she won't be ruined by any leaks. I want to be genuinely surprised. Like it comes out of nowhere like Megaman back during Smash 4's reveal.

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
If Lip does make it in, I hope she won't be ruined by any leaks. I want to be genuinely surprised. Like it comes out of nowhere like Megaman back during Smash 4's reveal.
Yep. It's always so much more satisfying to get a beloved character in the game when a leak hasn't ruined the surprise for you.

Last edited:

MasterRosie

Smash Journeyman
Here’s a fun question:
Sakurai will put Lip in Smash, but you have to give up one of your previous mains in exchange. Who would you be willing to give up for Lip?

For me.....Sonic.
As much as I like him for his personality, I’d feel more upset to lose :ultjigglypuff: or :ultrosalina:.

Last edited:

NukeA6

Smash Master
Here’s a fun question:
Sakurai will put Lip in Smash, but you have to give up one of your previous mains in exchange. Who would you be willing to give up for Lip?

For me.....Sonic.
As much as I like him for his personality, I’d feel more upset to lose :ultjigglypuff: or :ultrosalina:.
None of them. I can't bare losing DK, Peach, Zelda, Zero Suit Samus, or Ike.

Top Bottom