• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Fairy with Fighting Spirit: Lip for Smash! *Play Panel de Pon on NSO!*

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
The retro classification argument reminds me of the times when Mega Man was widely considered the retro choice because of his abilities being mostly taken from the NES games before Little Mac was revealed in Smash 4. And the time when people considered Wii Fit Trainer was the surprise character prior to Duck Hunt's reveal and given classification when portions of the Smash 4 project proposal slides were shared by Sakurai.

Chrono, I don't think the choices you mentioned fit the retro classifcation at all.

Last edited:

PsychoJosh

Banned via Administration
Retro characters are characters who originate from old games (>15 or more years old). It doesn't matter if they've recently had a new entry or not. If they're from an old series they're retro.

Jyl

Smash Journeyman
Drill Dozer came out 15 years ago...
It's a retro now since there was only one game and no one remembers it.
Anyways the definition for retro is all over the place. Everyone has their own definition which always makes talking about retro reps a pain.

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
Here's a question for you. Say the worst-case scenario comes to pass: Verge is right, Steve is in the game, and Smash Ultimate has no retro characters at all. Not Lip, not Mach Rider, not Bubbles or anyone. Just the cube. What would be your reaction?

Personally, as silly as this may make me sound, I probably would not even buy Smash Ultimate. Even with all of the other characters I really wanted to be in making it in, Steve would ruin the game for me. I can't just ignore him because he'll aways be there on the character select screen, and he'll inevitably come up online or in the single player modes, and it'll always remind me of the effort wasted on an ugly, blocky, poorly animated piece of crap that could have gone into Lippy instead. Especially if he ends up being high tier, god forbid. It would leave a sour taste in my mouth that I don't think I could ever bring myself to overlook.

Last edited:

Jyl

Smash Journeyman
Here's a question for you. Say the worst-case scenario comes to pass: Verge is right, Steve is in the game, and Smash Ultimate has no retro characters at all. Not Lip, not Mach Rider, not Bubbles or anyone. Just the cube. What would be your reaction?

Personally, as silly as this may make me sound, I probably would not even buy Smash Ultimate. Even with all of the other characters I really wanted to be in making it in, Steve would ruin the game for me. I can't just ignore him because he'll aways be there on the character select screen, and he'll inevitably come up online or in the single player modes, and it'll always remind me of the effort wasted on an ugly, blocky, poorly animated piece of crap that could have gone into Lippy instead. Especially if he ends up being high tier, god forbid. It would leave a sour taste in my mouth that I don't think I could ever bring myself to overlook.
I'd be disgusted for a variety of reasons, one being that that berginvin was right and that people will worship him as god. The other reason being that Smash has changed so much.

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
I'd be disgusted for a variety of reasons, one being that that berginvin was right and that people will worship him as god. The other reason being that Smash has changed so much.
That's a good point too. It'd absolutely prove beyond a shadow of a doubt that Smash Bros. is no longer a celebration of Nintendo's rich history, but a purely capitalist venture dedicated only to putting in characters that would generate hype among specifically American, casual-leaning gaming fans and push amiibo. (Don't even get me started on amiibo. As cool as they ended up being, they are by far the worst thing to ever happen to this series.)

And if that ends up being the case, then I hate to say it, but until--and unless--Panepon receives a large-scale, commercially successful, internationally unedited revival featuring the fairy characters, it might be time to give up on Lippy for good.

Jyl

Smash Journeyman
That's a good point too. It'd absolutely prove beyond a shadow of a doubt that Smash Bros. is no longer a celebration of Nintendo's rich history, but a purely capitalist venture dedicated only to putting in characters that would generate hype among specifically American, casual-leaning gaming fans and push amiibo. (Don't even get me started on amiibo. As cool as they ended up being, they are by far the worst thing to ever happen to this series.)

And if that ends up being the case, then I hate to say it, but until--and unless--Panepon receives a large-scale, commercially successful, internationally unedited revival featuring the fairy characters, it might be time to give up on Lippy for good.
I wouldn't give up but it'd hurt for sure. I am pretty stubborn so I won't give up for DLC.
I just want off this wild ride. I just want to know what it feels like when your most wanted character becomes playable in Smash. Just once.

Last edited:

NukeA6

Smash Master
I wouldn't care at all. Every character returning was good enough for me and adding Ridley and the Belmonts sealed the deal.

But I don't believe Vergeben or his copycats and I can't wait till they're proven wrong and become jokes. Too bad Sakurai's recent comment means we won't have any character confirmations in a while and probably not until November. The wait is gonna kill me but it'll be worth it.

Last edited:

MasterRosie

Smash Journeyman
I would honestly feel conflicted.
I would be disappointed that Lip got the short end of her stick again, but I’d feel like I would be missing out while everyone else is playing Ultimate. Plus, I know that Ultimate has changed from what we thought Smash was all about, but I feel like it is still one of Sakurai’s works, and, at the end of the day, he still put a lot of time and effort into it for taking every single character in Smash history and managing to cram them all into one game. I still feel he deserves cahoots for that, despite the...questionable newcomer choice.
I’m still never giving up on Lip tho, Ridley and King K Rool fans fought for years, and in Ultimate, it did them wonders.

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend

Anger, betrayal, and a desire for Steve’s trailer to have more dislikes than likes.

Crap-Zapper

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3540-1100-9470

Honestly, I've been anti-Minecraft for a long time. My younger brother loves the game, and I could not for the life of me understand the fun in it. I rather play with regular Lego. Fortnite? Roblox? Angry Birds? Five Nights at Freddys? It's a new generation. You either hate it, or you love it. We are not forced to play them, and luckily there are still good games being created, and new IP's which we do indeed like, but, as I did not like any of the franchises which I listed, but I know they are popular, I think Steve in Smash is a good thing. There is no denying that he would have a pretty radical, and interesting moveset potential, but it would also appeal to younger generations. Let it be Steve I'd say. At least Minecraft has been around long enough for us to adapt to it's style, and acknowledge it's existence, and even so, if he would be playable, who does it hurt? It will probobly boost sales even more. My brother and his generation get's a win. We just got King K. Rool, Ridley and Simon Belmont. The casuals got Daisy and Isabelle. I won't die if the "new" generation get's their win. Because of this. Why not. If Steve happens, I'll welcome the guy, but I will totally expect Banjo & Kazooie coming with. No way in hell Banjo won't be there if Microsoft give them Steve, Nintendo knowns, Microsoft knows, and Sakurai sure as hell should know. That's my honest view on Steve, and I'll leave it at that.

No retro however would be very sad. I love when first party franchises makes comeback. Ice Climbers were some of my favourites in Melee. Game & Watch was a lot of fun. Duck Hunt Duo was also very unique and fun, I loved it. Not having a retro this time would be quite sad.

Lip is my preferable, but Balloon Fighter, Ayumi Tachibana are my seconds. I'd love for all of them to get a chance to redeem themselves. Smash to me, is imortilization. That's one of the biggest reasons to why I want Lip. Give more attention to Panel De Pon, a formula of games which I love.

Still, I would purchase the game. I think it could still be plenty fun. I did get K. Rool after all.

Jurae818

Smash Journeyman
Having finally gotten the feeling of having my most wanted character in, I'd definitely be disheartened if some of my other wants after the King weren't in. I'd still play it due to him, but I want others to show up as well. While I like Minecraft, Steve is not the best way to rep the series. Not even by a margin. I stand by the notion that until there's valid video evidence, all 'leaks' are just predictions - a crapshoot if you will. You'll have to wait a month at best to see the final results of this roster and by extension the ballot and see just how far it went with deciding the roster. My stance on why everyone is following these leaks is because of the unpredictability of Steve himself and the fact that the fan picks are absent from those lists.

There's been a bubbling cyst of schadenfreude leaking out since Ridley got confirmed this summer and gradually congregating with Simon, Richter, Dark Samus appearing as well, being named as fan picks and finally with K. Rool, the boil bursting and spreading throughout the entire Smash community to now having fan picks makes for a boring roster and namely Rool and Ridley being the posterboys for never evers and the punching bags for some of those people. Now that they lost those two, they have to go after smaller targets. Isaac in particular has a notable hatebase and his chances are very likely. So for the time being, they're just fanning the flames and desperately trying to slander his fanbase as best as they can, and it's not coincidental that these leaks and that box theory appeared right around the next direct and the supposed delay with that hastily added AC Switch announcement. I don't like Golden Sun too much but the characters and such lend nicely to Smash.

N N. Onymous , I really love you and your dedication to Lip. So try to take a breath and relax. These leaks again are pure speculation. If they really had inside information, Nintendo would have gotten to them by now. Yes, there's a chance that there's not going to be too many newcomers left to announce. Yes, there's a possibility that Sakurai could be rusing. Anything can happen. I say wait until an announcement and a direct comes and then see what the results of your work bear.

As someone who was neck deep in Brawl and Four's waiting period, third time was the charm. I got K. Rool, but imagine if he was never revealed. Hoo boy, after this game I'm done with Smash period. I got my Kremling King, that's as good as it may get. I said it was gonna be a ****storm and boy howdy, look at it now. I didn't want to get suckered in a third time but Ridley had me hopeful and while The Dream Came True on my end, for others the nightmare has yet to end.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
I have a feeling this discussion topic will go down a bad direction.

N. Onymous, as much as I understand your struggles (especially with current speculation troubles), you have to prevail.

Even if Lip is not playable, you still have to lead the way for Lip supporters so that the support base grows naturally and bigger, so that when the time comes for a second ballot, you guys can make Lip the most popular retro and make your voices heard.

Never give up my dude.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Drill Dozer came out 15 years ago...
It's a retro now since there was only one game and no one remembers it.
Anyways the definition for retro is all over the place. Everyone has their own definition which always makes talking about retro reps a pain.
Of course no one remembers it, it's not related to Pokémon. :glare:

Seriously, I wish Game Freak could be allowed to move on with their lives.

N. Onymous, as much as I understand your struggles (especially with current speculation troubles), you have to prevail.

Even if Lip is not playable, you still have to lead the way for Lip supporters so that the support base grows naturally and bigger, so that when the time comes for a second ballot, you guys can make Lip the most popular retro and make your voices heard.

Never give up my dude.
Yeah, let the flower grow, and not wither. If you refuse to water the flower, of course it's going to die.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Of course no one remembers it, it's not related to Pokémon. :glare:

Seriously, I wish Game Freak could be allowed to move on with their lives.

Yeah, let the flower grow, and not wither. If you refuse to water the flower, of course it's going to die.
Game Freak doesn’t wanna move on with their lives, they rollin in cash.

Drill Dozer was awesome though, I wish we could get a sequel.

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926

Never give up my dude.
Smash speculation brings out the worst in me. I'm not going to give up on Lip, but I feel like my priorities should be focused on something else in addition to Smash Bros. We need to bring more people into the Panel de Pon fandom (specifically Panel de Pon, if you're interested more in the gameplay and don't care about the skin, great, but Lip needs more supporters if we want her to survive) and push for a new game with Lip in it, because that's her best shot of coming back.

Last edited:

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
Aye, I love Panel de Pon/Puzzle League games. Where's the next one?!?

Also, I feel like I should bring up Henry Hatsworth in the Puzzling Adventure — the puzzle half of that title's gameplay feels like it's directly descended/derived from Panel de Pon.

Last edited:

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
Honestly I think Steve would not be the smartest choice before Banjo; but people saying he has no place in Smash clearly are letting some bias get in the way. Now I have no personal attachment to Minecraft; but one cannot deny it's popularity, it's innovation and what it contributed to the gaming landscape. Smash has moved beyond it's limitations. Personally I always think Sakurai has wanted it to be a celebration of VIDEO GAME history; and not just Nintendo's. It's just taken a while for him to build up the clout to get licenses. I would pick Lip over Steve any day; But to turn down the game Sakurai put so much work and thought into because my frankly, underdog character didn't make it in is frankly a bit unreasonable. Fanbases don't equal the game's quality.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Honestly I think Steve would not be the smartest choice before Banjo; but people saying he has no place in Smash clearly are letting some bias get in the way. Now I have no personal attachment to Minecraft; but one cannot deny it's popularity, it's innovation and what it contributed to the gaming landscape. Smash has moved beyond it's limitations. Personally I always think Sakurai has wanted it to be a celebration of VIDEO GAME history; and not just Nintendo's. It's just taken a while for him to build up the clout to get licenses. I would pick Lip over Steve any day; But to turn down the game Sakurai put so much work and thought into because my frankly, underdog character didn't make it in is frankly a bit unreasonable. Fanbases don't equal the game's quality.
I think the best case scenario would be that he shows up after Banjo, not before. To soften the blow even further, Steve could be DLC, while letting Banjo be in the base.

In other words, having a B-K/Minecraft package deal is the best compromise to have, kinda like those anime licensing companies having to grab a title barely anyone wants as part of such a deal, so that they can have access to the one they actually want.

Last edited:

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
See, I'm the opposite way. I feel like Smash is--or should be--a celebration of specifically Nintendo's history, not gaming in general. (I also feel like I'm part of a tiny, tiny minority, but that's besides the point.) Minecraft is huge and I don't deny its influence, but people do not think of Nintendo when they think of the game, especially considering it started as a PC exclusive. Having Steve playable with significant Minecraft representation before Panel de Pon gets anything more than One Item One Block One Song(tm) would be to say that Minecraft is more important to Nintendo's history than Panel de Pon, which... I'm sorry, it's just an insult. Maybe not an intentional one, but it stings. Bad.

Not to mention, to a lot of people, this could not be worse publicity. If Steve is in the self-proclaimed Ultimate Smash game before big names like Isaac or Geno, as the rumors say, then there will be heavy backlash.

Last edited:

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
I'm going to have to disagree. I feel evolving from just Nintendo characters to a Video Game History game in general saved the franchise in the long run. I feel like if Nintendo stayed to their properties; I feel like it would've gotten a bit echo chamber-ish and stale. I understand there are a LOT of Nintendo characters people still want; but also it's not like non-Nintendo properties take up half the roster. They take up like 10%.

AEMehr

Mii Fighter

I mean the retro characters added to this game so far are Simon, Richter, and K. Rool.
I may not be a fan of Steve and Minecraft either, but I do not think it is fair to judge what the character or franchise offers to the game before you see it in action. I can understand feeling disdain for your favorite character not appearing, but I'm not sure what garners such a mentality in the first place when your favorite character is as niche as Lip.
This is coming from me, who is really only fond of niche characters for the most part. Temper your expectations, and if Steve or whoever is added in place of Lip you can't do anything than just accept the fact. If you're really not interested in purchasing the game because your favorite fighter who's chances for a playable appearance have been low since Melee, I'm not sure if you really ever put a lot of time in the other games before then.
(Slight edit, rephrased the ending because I never posted the whole point of the last sentence lol)
- - - - -
As someone who greatly appreciates the care and details added to the game, and someone that enjoys Lip as a character, I am pretty happy to see the Flower status visual changes.
Lip might not get in the game again, but I could hope for a trophy at the least. Maybe a Mii Fighter outfit if we get really lucky.

Last edited:

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
Simon isn't retro since his series is still at least nominally active. If he's retro, then Cloud must also be retro because Final Fantasy VII was a long time ago. K. Rool isn't retro since his series is ongoing, the character himself just hasn't been seen in a while.

Personally, I won't be happy until we get a physical appearance of Lip again. Even if it's not as a fighter, why not as an assist trophy? We have Takamaru, we have the Sable Prince, we have freaking Sukapon, what's the excuse for not featuring Lip? And I'm not exaggerating when I say that, for a variety of reasons (including several that have nothing to do with Minecraft's fan base), Steve would ruin the game for me. If you want him in, if you feel he deserves to be in, then good for you. I won't try to change your mind. Just don't try to change mine.

Last edited:

NukeA6

Smash Master
See, I'm the opposite way. I feel like Smash is--or should be--a celebration of specifically Nintendo's history, not gaming in general. (I also feel like I'm part of a tiny, tiny minority, but that's besides the point.) Minecraft is huge and I don't deny its influence, but people do not think of Nintendo when they think of the game, especially considering it started as a PC exclusive. Having Steve playable with significant Minecraft representation before Panel de Pon gets anything more than One Item One Block One Song(tm) would be to say that Minecraft is more important to Nintendo's history than Panel de Pon, which... I'm sorry, it's just an insult. Maybe not an intentional one, but it stings. Bad.

Not to mention, to a lot of people, this could not be worse publicity. If Steve is in the self-proclaimed Ultimate Smash game before big names like Isaac or Geno, as the rumors say, then there will be heavy backlash.
Minecraft is part of Nintendo history though. It's even a big success whether you accept it or not. Plus, there's gonna be a lot of backlash no matter how Smash Ultimate ends. You can never satisfy the franchise's fanbase because there will always be somebody who's gonna whine because ________ and _________ aren't in the game and Sakurai decided to add __________ in the game.

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
Honestly Steve getting in really only affects Banjo's chances and even that makes him being a DLC character likely. Honestly; Verge didn't even say a Minecraft character. It could be very likely it's just a Minecraft Stage.

Long story short; I don't think we need to worry about it.

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
Minecraft is part of Nintendo history though.
Objectively false, besides selling well on Nintendo's platforms. News flash: Minecraft sells well on every platform because it's Minecraft.

Honestly; Verge didn't even say a Minecraft character. It could be very likely it's just a Minecraft Stage.
I hope you're right. I really do.

Last edited:

NukeA6

Smash Master
Objectively false, besides selling well on Nintendo's platforms. News flash: Minecraft sells well on every platform because it's Minecraft.
Living in denial isn't going to erase the fact that it's sold really well on the 3DS and the Wii U.

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/20...ninth_best-selling_game_on_the_japanese_eshop

And this is just Japan. Do I even have to mention the fact that it was popular enough to get a Creeper 2DS and get a release on the Switch?

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
Living in denial isn't going to erase the fact that it's sold really well on the 3DS and the Wii U.
I just said I don't deny Minecraft's popularity and influence, but if selling very well on Nintendo's systems were enough to make someone deserving of being in the game, then we'd have someone from Boom Blox in SSB4.

Last edited:

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
Why compare Steve to Lip when they would get in for very different reasons and criteria?
I'm not comparing Steve to Lip. I'm just saying that if Steve was in the game and Lip wasn't, it would leave too much of a bad taste in my mouth for me to truly be able to enjoy Ultimate. If they were both in (as in that one probably-fake leak claims), then I'd probably be either ambivalent to or enjoy the Minecraft content, because really, I do enjoy the game and I feel like it should have some rep in Smash Bros... just not as a playable character. But Steve without Lip? Nope, sorry.

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
You can pick and choose what is classified as such in your opinion, but those characters are specifically designed to look and feel like the characters they were decades ago. Mega Man, PAC-MAN, and Little Mac are also characters that you can easily liken as Retro fighters due to their design in Smash Wii U.

Just because they aren't Retro Revival characters, it doesn't mean they can't be taken as blasts from the past. Are you going to tell me someone like Geno shouldn't classify as a retro character as well, despite only having one actual appearance to his name?

You don't have to like Steve, neither do I lol. I just don't think you have to be so abrasive about it.

MasterRosie

Smash Journeyman
It seems like every time I come back, an entire discussion or something passes.

As for Steve, I wouldn’t be too much against his inclusion as long as we get some good ol’ Nintendo classics in the game as well to balance 3rd parties out like Steve, Simon, and Richter.
We got K Rool, but he was more of a fan requested pick than a retro pick to put in the game to revive their respective series. Lip in Smash would be more of a Pit situation where she would be put in to make way for a future PdP title, which we haven’t had in years. Technically, never outside of Japan since we had Tetris Attack to deal with. I really wouldn’t consider Geno a retro rep either since he’s still a Mario character through and through, despite Squeenix denying his inclusion in smash in the past. Even so, none of our retro reps thus far are 3rd party.

NukeA6

Smash Master
Who's being abrasive? I'm just making my position firm.
Maybe not abrasive but you're investing way too much in Lip. There's no problem supporting the character but you clearly don't care much about Smash Bros if you'll drop the game because a popular character gets in over an obscure character that has barely seen the light overseas.

Last edited:

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
Maybe not abrasive but you're investing way too much in Lip. There's no problem supporting the character but you clearly don't care much about Smash Bros if you'll drop the game because a popular character gets in over an obscure character that has barely seen the light overseas.
The reason I'm getting so worked up over this is because I care about Smash Bros. What I don't like is what it's become, assuming Steve is playable.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
The jury’s still out on whether Steve’s a popular character.

I agree though. Even if I would sacrifice every character I ever wanted to keep Minecraft out of Smash, I still can’t not buy this game.

I understand and respect N. Onymous though, speak with your wallet. I’m more of a ‘buy-but-boycott’ kind of guy myself.

NukeA6

Smash Master
The reason I'm getting so worked up over this is because I care about Smash Bros. What I don't like is what it's become, assuming Steve is playable.
Well maybe everyone else is assuming him but he's still a possibility regardless. Look, I don't care about the leakers or Vergeben
and I would bet on the Gardevoir or NeoGAF leaks if I had to choose what's more legit.
but I've seen enough Smash Bros pre-releases that the rosters won't make everyone happy.

Melee had Pichu and a ton of clones. Oh and Mr. Game & Watch as a big WTF and final character.
Brawl ended with Wolf and R.O.B.
Smash 4 had Dark Pit and the last DLC were another Fire Emblem character and Bayonetta.

While I don't believe Sakurai would be insane enough two have two echoes of 3rd Party characters confirmed years ago and so much pyromancers as a last reveal, having Steve added seems like a very Sakurai thing to do.

MasterRosie

Smash Journeyman
But if Steve does get in, but not someone like Lip or any other Nintendo classics.....
Heheheheh....
Let’s just say the poor people that decide to main Steve will get no mercy from my :ultjigglypuff:, :ultsonic:, and :ultrosalina:.
(Man, it would be awesome to have a Lip character icon like these.)

Last edited:
Top Bottom