• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Fairy with Fighting Spirit: Lip for Smash! *Play Panel de Pon on NSO!*

11th

Smash Apprentice
To be fair, the issue is that almost no one in the general public knows Japan-only characters, not that no one knows about them at all. Smashboards isn't a good way to measure things because we're all into gaming, and most of us are pretty internet savvy. (And pretty accepting of Japanese media.)

The internet is a big game changer, allowing people to more easily and instantly look into things that didn't make it across the ocean, but if most people aren't looking for those things, then it can't change much. That's why it's so important for people to talk about the characters they want outside of Smashboards. I'm sure that if people do spread the word and get more people interested, things could change -- look at what happened with Roy and Lucas -- but it's going to take some work.

Tiny edit to clarify.

Last edited:

Jyl

Smash Journeyman
To be fair, the issue is that almost no one in the general public knows Japan-only characters, not that no one knows about them at all. Smashboards isn't a good way to measure things because we're all into gaming, and most of us are pretty internet savvy. (And pretty accepting of Japanese media.)

The internet is a big game changer, allowing people to more easily and instantly look into things that didn't make it across the ocean, but if most people aren't looking for those things, then it can't change much. That's why it's so important for people to talk about the characters they want outside of SB. I'm sure that if people do spread the word and get more people interested, things could change -- look at what happened with Roy and Lucas -- but it's going to take some work.
I agree. But casuals won't take their time to research for obscure characters on the internet.
As it stands the best way for casuals to get to know those forgotten characters is through Smash.

MasterRosie

Smash Journeyman
Hasn’t Anime and other Japanese culture migrated its way to the west? Yeah....I thought so.

At this point, there is virtually NOTHING holding PdP back from releasing worldwide. They’re little fairy girls? Ahem....
I know Watchmojo makes top 10’s on everything, but even still, it proves the whole “magical girl” like genre of Japanese culture is no stranger to us nowadays. Lip would fit under that category, and perhaps she’d end up being the most well known due to being associated with Nintendo. I mean, Sailor Moon is known and loved, so why couldn’t Lip?
Although real talk, Seren reminds me heavily of Sailor Moon.

StarDustStorm

Smash Journeyman

The internet is a big game changer, allowing people to more easily and instantly look into things that didn't make it across the ocean, but if most people aren't looking for those things, then it can't change much. That's why it's so important for people to talk about the characters they want outside of Smashboards. I'm sure that if people do spread the word and get more people interested, things could change -- look at what happened with Roy and Lucas -- but it's going to take some work.

Tiny edit to clarify.
Its clear that there isn't a good place where someone could be educated to the Panel de Pon series. There's not even YouTube videos of simple descriptions and such. I will do videos to fill out on some of the smallest details that many people will miss in the series.
Also Smashboards is already fine for Lip but its really the other social media websites that matter too since Smashboards is really made for Smash Bros. fans but sites outside of this place need work too.

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
I have tried talking about Lip in other places, but it doesn't seem like many other people are interested, unfortunately. Seems a lot of them just turn their brain off when they hear the "de Pon" part and go "so it's a Japan-only game, got it, don't care." Or worse, "isn't that that Yoshi game?"

Last edited:

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
I have seen a translation patch for Panel de Pon - complete with gameplay footage - on YouTube.

StarDustStorm

Smash Journeyman
I have tried talking about Lip in other places, but it doesn't seem like many other people are interested, unfortunately. Seems a lot of them just turn their brain off when they hear the "de Pon" part and go "so it's a Japan-only game, got it, don't care." Or worse, "isn't that that Yoshi game?"
Well her value is a much lower compared to other Japan-only character requests. As in "we already have this game, so what makes this game special?" There's still no English review videos of this game in its original form either, like is someone going to give some critiques. Japan only characters are pretty much a no-go for Sakurai as seen with Ayumi in Melee. Lucas was lucky because he assumed it was going to be localized.
I have seen a translation patch for Panel de Pon - complete with gameplay footage - on YouTube.

That's not what I'm talking about, while yes it is the story mode, I'm talking about a video that gives us more info about Panel de Pon than just the gameplay. It doesn't mean much since it looks like TA for people.

Last edited:

MasterRosie

Smash Journeyman
“So it’s a Japan-only game, got it, don’t care.”
Guess they also don’t care about Mother 3 then. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Shame.
The funny thing is, people will say “at least Earthbound/Mother 2 was released worldwide”, yet you’d think someone would draw the connection between Yoshi in Tetris Attack with Lip in PdP when both games used the same exact panel design with stars, hearts, diamonds, etc. Plus, no one ever stops to think about the origin of LIP’S stick? They think Sakurai or Nintendo just made up that item on the fly? Did they EVER listen to LIP’S theme remix in Brawl onwards? It’s honestly sad how people skim over this. It’s not that hard to think about.

Another thing I recall that I find funny is that when Sakurai talked about PdP before, calling it an “overlooked masterpiece” he also states that he wishes people would give it a try. Well, people would perhaps give it a try...
IF NINTENDO EVER LOCALIZED THE ORIGINAL VERSION.

Also, here’s something funny:
https://youtu.be/z0YmTrm99ok
Only 11 comments on Lip’s Theme from Brawl, and one of them is someone saying,
“This is a perfect fit as R.O.B’s Theme.”
Lip’s Theme....R.O.B’s Theme....

Last edited:

StarDustStorm

Smash Journeyman
“So it’s a Japan-only game, got it, don’t care.”
Guess they also don’t care about Mother 3 then. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Shame.
The funny thing is, people will say “at least Earthbound/Mother 2 was released worldwide”, yet you’d think someone would draw the connection between Yoshi in Tetris Attack with Lip in PdP when both games used the same exact panel design with stars, hearts, diamonds, etc. Plus, no one ever stops to think about the origin of LIP’S stick? They think Sakurai or Nintendo just made up that item on the fly? Did they EVER listen to LIP’S theme remix in Brawl onwards? It’s honestly sad how people skim over this. It’s not that hard to think about.

Another thing I recall that I find funny is that when Sakurai talked about PdP before, calling it an “overlooked masterpiece” he also states that he wishes people would give it a try. Well, people would perhaps give it a try...
IF NINTENDO EVER LOCALIZED THE ORIGINAL VERSION.
Its obvious that Sakurai is talking about the first game and not its reskins, I'm sure Lip would of appeared as a trophy or something if Pdp GB was released instead of PPC. Though TA is the reason people aren't hurt over the game not being localized. The fairies are the 2nd most recurring element in the Pdp series even in the reskins, of course the first is the gameplay.

Puyo Puyo actually did get this kind of shadow identity outside of Japan before Puyo Puyo Tetris. Even if they did localize it a couple of times before PPT, it was referred to as that Mean Bean Machine game or rip-off. PP didn't sell well during the Pop era. Its still not as known compared to other Sega IPs outside of Japan.
I know that Puyo Puyo is treated pretty similarly whenever Sega has done those Sega crossovers in the past. They are ignored as in, like no characters from that series would not appear. There was a mini-game in the Tennis crossover but that's all it got. Its actually still like that despite the success of Puyo Puyo Tetris, though they do get very subtle references.
I wonder how people will react if Arle got into smash and not Lip though. There probably wouldn't be a lot of Lip responses or memes though.

Last edited:

MasterRosie

Smash Journeyman
I wonder how people will react if Arle got into smash and not Lip though. There probably wouldn't be a lot of Lip responses or memes though.
Me:

Mod Edit: Video removed for inappropriate content.

Last edited by a moderator:

NukeA6

Smash Master

Yeah, it was released a while ago. You can find it right here: http://www.romhacking.net/translations/1144/

It's understandable since Tetris Attack and Panel de Pon are technically the same game but with different visuals. I know of Doki Doki Panic but I have never cared enough to play it since I already have Super Mario Bros. 2 already and prefer it. And it seems RPG fans are really the only ones who care about Japan-only games (as it was in my case since I wanted Final Fantasy 5 and Secret of Mana 2).

It's either Smash Bros or nothing for Lip.

StarDustStorm

Smash Journeyman
I don't know why there wasn't any stickers from Planet Puzzle League in Brawl. Unless if they represent Panel de Pon's universe with only the fairies. It seems that those Japanese Pdp Fan animations have more people in Japan watching than other regions.

Last edited:

Jyl

Smash Journeyman
I don't know why there wasn't any stickers from Planet Puzzle League in Brawl. Unless if they represent Panel de Pon's universe with only the fairies. It seems that those Japanese Pdp Fan animations have more people in Japan watching than other regions.
Maybe Sakurai only acknowledges the original.

StarDustStorm

Smash Journeyman
Maybe Sakurai only acknowledges the original.
Considering there was other Japan-only DS/GBA games that were stickers in Brawl; Pdp was obviously more popular than those game. He maybe didn't consider it a true installment to the Panel de Pon series. As seen with the latest game he taken from is the cast from the GC game appearing as stickers along with the Heart Panel Sticker.

Last edited:

StarDustStorm

Smash Journeyman
https://www.ssbwiki.com/Chronicle
In Brawl's Chronicle. you get Tetris Attack/Panel de Pon if you obtain a Lip's Stick trophy. You get Nintendo Puzzle Collection when you obtain a Panel sticker...
Yep... Henk Rogers wasn't kidding that Panel de Pon was erased from history outside of Japan.
Once again, Lip's Stick does not appear in Tetris Attack, it seems that Panel de Pon gets the most regional errors whenever the series is represented for some reason in a Smash Bros. game. I notice that Nintendo censors Panel de Pon in their interviews translated by them, the actual person didn't even say Tetris Attack or Puzzle League.
Still every Panel de Pon game is on the Brawl Chronicle, except for Express.
Do you think the Lip's Stick trophy will at least list Animal Crossing: New Leaf Welcome Amiibo?

Last edited:

MasterRosie

Smash Journeyman
https://www.ssbwiki.com/Chronicle
In Brawl's Chronicle. you get Tetris Attack/Panel de Pon if you obtain a Lip's Stick trophy. You get Nintendo Puzzle Collection when you obtain a Panel sticker...
Yep... Henk Rogers wasn't kidding that Panel de Pon was erased from history outside of Japan.
Once again, Lip's Stick does not appear in Tetris Attack, it seems that Panel de Pon gets the most regional errors whenever the series is represented for some reason in a Smash Bros. game. I notice that Nintendo censors Panel de Pon in their interviews translated by them, the actual person didn't even say Tetris Attack or Puzzle League.
Do you think the Lip's Stick trophy will at least list Animal Crossing: New Leaf Welcome Amiibo?
This....this is honestly just saddening.
It’s like Nintendo themselves want absolutely nothing to do with Lip or PdP. It’s almost as if they think of poor Lip as some type of...abomination. And I don’t understand why.
Now I think that Lip being in Smash isn’t a want, but a NEED. References are nice, but if Nintendo clearly has no plans to do anything with the series, then...
4 words:
WHAT.
IS.
THE.
POINT?

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
If it's more than five years old and can't be marketed to nostalgic North Americans, it should stay dead. This seems to be what Nintendo actually believes.

Jyl

Smash Journeyman
I notice that Nintendo censors Panel de Pon in their interviews translated by them, the actual person didn't even say Tetris Attack or Puzzle League.
Never knew this. That is sickening to read. Jesus.
But you know, that was the old Nintendo. I did read somewhere the guy that did everything to remove PdP from North America left the team (He was the one that removed the Lip's stage in the Western version of Planet Puzzle League). Who knows, the current NoA changed their stance on PdP.

StarDustStorm

Smash Journeyman
Never knew this. That is sickening to read. Jesus.
But you know, that was the old Nintendo. I did read somewhere the guy that did everything to remove PdP from North America left the team (He was the one that removed the Lip's stage in the Western version of Planet Puzzle League). Who knows, the current NoA changed their stance on PdP.
Well at least there's the Outfit and wand in New Leaf Welcome Amiibo, not removed. Not referred to by name but it applies to all of the Nintendo character outifts in New Leaf so I think her not being named should be given a pass there.
I think a possible reason that Pokémon Puzzle League wasn't released in Japan is possibly because they didn't want to go too far with releasing reskins in that region. BS Yoshi no Panepon can be seen as a bonus version. But Puzzle Challenge, and Yoshi no Panepon Gameboy not so much. Since the fairies were already established in the series or the N64 was much less popular in that region,
Still I would like to see how this story of the fairies' absence come to a close, but another reskin and Lip may not get another chance even in Smash.

Last edited:

Jyl

Smash Journeyman
So those with Twitter or whatever you ARE helping with raising awareness for Lip right?:chrono: #LipforSmash
EDIT: Just seeing how active and dedicated Takamaru's Twitter campaign made me slight jealous but I'm happy for them too. I want him in too. Just thinking Lip needs all the help she can get out there

Last edited:

MasterRosie

Smash Journeyman
Y’know, I just got into thinking:
If Nintendo did revive PdP with the fairies and everything, what would later entries in the franchise be like? Would they be similar to the story of Furil in the GbC PdP? Maybe events that happen even past that? Does anyone have ideas for that?

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend

Tiny edit to clarify.
I agree. But casuals won't take their time to research for obscure characters on the internet.
As it stands the best way for casuals to get to know those forgotten characters is through Smash.
Its clear that there isn't a good place where someone could be educated to the Panel de Pon series. There's not even YouTube videos of simple descriptions and such. I will do videos to fill out on some of the smallest details that many people will miss in the series.
Also Smashboards is already fine for Lip but its really the other social media websites that matter too since Smashboards is really made for Smash Bros. fans but sites outside of this place need work too.
Another potential place to get people educated on PdP is, of all things, Deviantart.

https://www.deviantart.com/professorfandango/art/SMASH-150-086-LIP-727508471

While not in-depth, Fandango's description here can get people up to speed about PdP and Lip. He even did a drawing for Cordelia!

So those with Twitter or whatever you ARE helping with raising awareness for Lip right?:chrono: #LipforSmash
EDIT: Just seeing how active and dedicated Takamaru's Twitter campaign made me slight jealous but I'm happy for them too. I want him in too. Just thinking Lip needs all the help she can get out there
Funny you mention him, guy has his GAME released on the 3DS VC, and he still can't get to be playable in Smash. Poor ronin...

Last edited:

NukeA6

Smash Master
If Nintendo did revive PdP with the fairies and everything, what would later entries in the franchise be like? Would they be similar to the story of Furil in the GbC PdP? Maybe events that happen even past that? Does anyone have ideas for that?
What was Furil's story about? I know Panel de Pon's was about Lip battling Thanatos and his minions who possessed all of her fairy friends and then she faces Cordelia who turns out to be her mother and that she was just testing Lip by making illusions so that she can be the new fairy queen in a renewed world.

Jyl

Smash Journeyman
As a reboot, it should definitely include Lip as the original heroine so people can get to know her. Having Furil would confuse people who is only familiar with PdP via Smash/Animal Crossing.
Funny you mention him, guy has his GAME released on the 3DS VC, and he still can't get to be playable in Smash. Poor ronin...
Really frustrating. I can understand Takamaru fan's pain. Really hate Sakurai for his dumb reasoning for not including him when it's clear as day there is an audience for Japan themed games.

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
Really frustrating. I can understand Takamaru fan's pain. Really hate Sakurai for his dumb reasoning for not including him when it's clear as day there is an audience for Japan themed games.
Just look at Splatoon. It's an extremely Japanese-themed game (basically the entire game is themed around Japanese youth/idol culture, anime art style, various events in the second game make reference to real-world Japanese landmarks, one of the battle stages in the second game is a Shinto shrine, the "kami-paper/kami-god" pun that Splatfests revolve around, Inkopolis is even implied to be a future-version of Tokyo), and it has no problem selling tons of copies. Why they're so afraid to take a chance on something so deeply rooted in Western/European myth is beyond me.

What was Furil's story about? I know Panel de Pon's was about Lip battling Thanatos and his minions who possessed all of her fairy friends and then she faces Cordelia who turns out to be her mother and that she was just testing Lip by making illusions so that she can be the new fairy queen in a renewed world.
...I barely know what the GameCube plot is about actually. For as much as I love the SNES game, the GameCube one completely eludes me. The most I know is that it involves a trio of hags stealing a sky whale's magical third eye, causing him to become violent and evil. And it's vaguely implied that they're all the descendants of the first game's cast, but never stated in-game. Also Furil fights a lion monster who turns into her boyfriend.

I'd want it to focus on the cast of the original game either before or after the actual game happens, focusing on their personal lives and continuing adventures.

Jyl

Smash Journeyman
Just look at Splatoon. It's an extremely Japanese-themed game (basically the entire game is themed around Japanese youth/idol culture, anime art style, various events in the second game make reference to real-world Japanese landmarks, one of the battle stages in the second game is a Shinto shrine, the "kami-paper/kami-god" pun that Splatfests revolve around, Inkopolis is even implied to be a future-version of Tokyo), and it has no problem selling tons of copies. Why they're so afraid to take a chance on something so deeply rooted in Western/European myth is beyond me.

...I barely know what the GameCube plot is about actually. For as much as I love the SNES game, the GameCube one completely eludes me. The most I know is that it involves a trio of hags stealing a sky whale's magical third eye, causing him to become violent and evil. And it's vaguely implied that they're all the descendants of the first game's cast, but never stated in-game. Also Furil fights a lion monster who turns into her boyfriend.

I'd want it to focus on the cast of the original game either before or after the actual game happens, focusing on their personal lives and continuing adventures.
To be fair Splatoon's artstyle screams western to me. It reminds me of the old Nickolodeon cartoons.
I guess it's also popular in Japan because they are cute.

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
To be fair Splatoon's artstyle screams western to me. It reminds me of the old Nickolodeon cartoons.
It's sort of in-between, really, but in certain respects it leans Japanese.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
It's sort of in-between, really, but in certain respects it leans Japanese.
Regardless, Nintendo tends to sweep their errors under the rug. I mean, it's a wonder Brawl even had the guts to acknowledge the Virtual Boy at all. And they're still understandably skeptical about making VR tech until it's just right, but that's a different topic.

The compromise done in regards to bringing the series' gameplay to the West seems to have affected the series on such a fundamental level that the Big N has no idea what to do with it anymore. I wouldn't want to be in the shoes of the people responsible for replacing PdP's graphics.

And I don't think people would be bothered by a Japanese title either, there's anime series and even games that get imported to the West with their titles unchanged, and not everyone blinks an eye (which is probably for the best, seeing as some title changes are either completely different or done solely for the sake of a stupid pun).

But really though, at this time it's purely assumptions and conjecture. If nothing is done with Lip this time, that's no reason to give up. As long as the Smash series lasts, the fan movement must simply increase, since it won't be under the huge shadow of reptiles anymore. :ultridley::ultkrool:

Last edited:

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
Yeah, it'll be in the shadow of magical anime swordsmen and a huge demonic muscle man instead. : P

MasterRosie

Smash Journeyman
Hey guys.....
If Roy’s our Boy.....
Is Furil our Girl?
Eh? Eh????

(I hope I’m pronouncing her name right, or this joke doesn’t work.)

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Would anyone here be willing to commission this artist for a Lip poster render:

There was a problem fetching the tweet

He does some pretty cool stuff. It could give more exposure to Lip for Smash.

Last edited:

Jyl

Smash Journeyman
Would anyone here be willing to commission this artist for a Lip poster render:

There was a problem fetching the tweet

He does some pretty cool stuff. It could give more exposure to Lip for Smash.
So that's where that leak came from.
Anyone here going to do it? Anyone with cash I mean?:smash:

Top Bottom