• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Fairy with Fighting Spirit: Lip for Smash! *Play Panel de Pon on NSO!*

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
I can't pony anything up, unfortunately. I don't have that kind of disposable income right now. I encourage anyone who does to go after this, though--we never got Lip in Smashified, but this is the next best thing.

Isaac: Venus Adept

Smash Lord
I gave you guys a shout out. Panel De Pon looks like a really fun series that needs more love so I'm happy to help you guys get some exposure

KingofUSA85

Smash Journeyman
So that's where that leak came from.
Anyone here going to do it? Anyone with cash I mean?:smash:
I would have done it if he wasnt a liar who tried to fool us.

I have some money left in my fiverr wallet. So maybe ill peruse the artists there instead. But if i do order a commission it wont be of Lip but Ayumi Tachibana.

Does anyone know of a good fiverr artist they want to recommend?

Last edited:

MasterRosie

Smash Journeyman
Clearly Lip is also in the shadow of...well....Shadow and a dude comprised of blocks.

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
I would have done it if he wasnt a liar who tried to fool us.
So was Omni. To me, it feels more like he's made the decision to use his powers (so to speak) for good instead of evil, making an honest buck off commissions instead of trying to fool people.

Last edited:

Jyl

Smash Journeyman
I gave you guys a shout out. Panel De Pon looks like a really fun series that needs more love so I'm happy to help you guys get some exposure
Thanks, it really means a lot to us. Hope Isaac gets some exposure as well.

Crap-Zapper

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3540-1100-9470
None of the above. I was referring to Black Shadow.
Any second F-Zero character is the only thing that rivals my want for Lip.
F-Zero, outside of Pokémon is my favourite Nintendo franchise already represented in Smash.
Panel De Pon would be the last giant favourite of mine not represented yet.

StarDustStorm

Smash Journeyman
Wouldn't all of this Lip in Smash progress be ruined if people actually made a huge campaign to revive Puzzle League instead of the Panel de Pon, but lacks the knowledge of the fairies so they don't mention them?
If they make a new game that way, Lip would essentially be shafted once again for Smash.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
What's the best games in this series I could try and enjoy?
I havent played them but I'm interested.

NukeA6

Smash Master
Honestly, Planet Puzzle League for the DS but it lacks the fairies.

Wouldn't all of this Lip in Smash progress be ruined if people actually made a huge campaign to revive Puzzle League instead of the Panel de Pon, but lacks the knowledge of the fairies so they don't mention them?
If they make a new game that way, Lip would essentially be shafted once again for Smash.
Damned if you do, damned if you don't. It's really hard to support Lip sometimes since NoA shot themselves in the foot twice already and it's tough enough to get anyone to care about what Yoshi and the Pokemon replaced. I myself could have been one of those people who never cared who the original Panel de Pon characters if I decided to do things just a little bit differently on 2006. It's almost an accident that I wanted Lip for Smash Bros at all.

This is why I think Arle Nadja going first is Lip's only chance.

MasterRosie

Smash Journeyman
Ikr? I specifically want PdP to be revived with an identity of its own. No more leaning on Yoshi, Pokémon, or any other characters to be popular. It is entirely possible, Nintendo just needs proper encouragement to make it happen. It’s 2018, and the whole ‘masculine gamer’ stereotype has pretty much been buried at this point. SEGA’s done it, no more excuses. Especially when they (seemingly) had the freedom to include that Lip outfit in New Leaf.

Jyl

Smash Journeyman
Try the original for the SNES first. It's simple but an amazing game that still holds up today. A great intro to the series.

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
The SNES game is my favorite (of course, I'm biased), but the GameCube one is the only other one that has fairies in it. At the same time, it's less accessible due to being on a console that's more hardware-intensive to emulate. You could give Pokemon Puzzle League or Puzzle Challenge a go if you're into Pokemon, but there's no reason at all to play Tetris Attack over the original fairy game, the Game Boy port of the same is very...um...not good, and the less said about Planet the better.

Last edited:

Jyl

Smash Journeyman
The music is fantastic though and I do like the vibrant backgrounds. The only problem is that it lacks any characters.
I agree and while the gameplay is great, I can never forgive the Western version for removing Lip's secret stage for absolutely no reasons.

D

Deleted member

Depends on what you have access to. For me the best is the Game Cube game as it offers the most options. It has the standard endless and time attack modes, a story mode, Line Attack (basically you have to clear enough blocks so that none are left above a, well... line) and the Puzzle mode (you have to clear all the blocks in a set amount of turns). It also allows you create and save your own puzzles. And unlike most of the other games (sans Pokemon Puzzle League as this game is based on the N64 title), various mode can be played in the typical 2d style, but also 3d (making the field cylinder shaped with no walls).

A mode this game is missing is Garbage Attack. It's basically endless but with increasingly big garbage blocks falling down. Although to compensate, this game does allow you to do direct CPU matches outside of story mode as well as either 2 or 4 player multiplayer (no 3 player, the last slot will have to be filled by a CPU). As a bonus, you can download a stripped down version onto your GBA with the GC-GBA cable, which handily enough comes with the game.

And not to mention, as it's a compilation, you also get Dr. Mario 64 (my favorite in the series) and a remake of Yoshi's Cookie with the game, both also having the GBA connectivity. Nintendo Puzzle Collection is also pretty cheap (at least at the time when I bought it) being 15€ still sealed. But if that's out of the question due to region locking, I'd suggest looking into the N64 game (Pokemon Puzzle League), as it is very similar to the GC one.

MasterRosie

Smash Journeyman
I was thinking that if Lip made it into Smash, and got a big Switch title of her own, she would be pretty much be a staple Smash char at that point.
If this happened, when we get Smash 6, (Which I still think will happen, Smash makes too much big bucks to end even at Ultimate, although I think it will be a bigger wait than any other Smash title) I think it would be cool if the PdP cast had their own conversations similar to Snake’s codecs and Palutena’s guidance. Especially if the main PdP cast gets its own voice cast. (Which I would hope it does)

StarFan13

Smash Rookie
She Will be in 50 Fact in December and her number is 71
Also wanted: as of September 13, 2018
October Direct
Spring Man, Ribbon Girl, Ken, Shadow, Decideye
50 Fact (December Direct)
Octoling

Last edited:

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
She Will be in 50 Fact in December and her number is 71
Also wanted: as of September 13, 2018
October Direct
Spring Man, Ribbon Girl, Ken, Shadow, Decideye
50 Fact (December Direct)
Octoling
I'd love for it to be true, but unfortunately I don't have any reason to trust you.

Jyl

Smash Journeyman
Can't blame them. NoA shoots down Lip every chance they get. Meanwhile, Sega has Arle Nadja with English voice-acting in Puyo Puyo x Tetris.
Yeah it's sad.
I would love a Panel de Pon x Puyo Puyo crossover though.

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
Can't blame them. NoA shoots down Lip every chance they get.
I just wish we knew why. As I've said earlier, my best, and only real, guess is that they figure if it's not a completely new IP, a currently active and popular series, or something that's nostalgic to 30-40-year-olds who grew up playing the NES (specifically the NES, sorry Takamaru fans), then it is an abject failure as an IP and can and should be left to rot, because if it didn't make enough money back in its day, it will never be able to, who cares how popular it is or could be? See also: Kid Icarus post-Uprising, F-Zero, etc.

Last edited:

MasterRosie

Smash Journeyman
Meh, I still think she has a shot.
That 9 year haitus for a non-smash PdP reference in New Leaf coming out one year after the ballot ending is just fishy to me. Call me nuts, but I think there’s something to it. Especially now that Isabelle has been confirmed as her own character in Ultimate, and not being just an echo of :ultvillager:.
Sure, not many people are exactly aware of this, but that’s how Sakurai gets ya. He doesn’t always do the obvious, and I believe ultimate is still no exception despite the fan service. I know as a matter of fact Isabelle wasn’t that high on the ballot.

Last edited:

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
I hope you're right. If you're not, if they lied, if it isn't the ultimate Smash game after all, well, that's why I'm pushing #justiceforlip.

Jyl

Smash Journeyman
Meh, I still think she has a shot.
That 9 year haitus for a non-smash PdP reference in New Leaf coming out one year after the ballot ending is just fishy to me. Call me nuts, but I think there’s something to it. Especially now that Isabelle has been confirmed as her own character in Ultimate, and not being just an echo of :ultvillager:.
Sure, not many people are exactly aware of this, but that’s how Sakurai gets ya. He doesn’t always do the obvious, and I believe ultimate is still no exception despite the fan service. I know as a matter of fact Isabelle wasn’t that high on the ballot.
To be fair I think Isabelle placed low in the ballot because most people assumed the ballot was for Smash 4 DLCs.

StarDustStorm

Smash Journeyman
To be fair I think Isabelle placed low in the ballot because most people assumed the ballot was for Smash 4 DLCs.
It's a pretty big deal if you were included as Mario Kart 8 Additional content Deluxe or DLC, it shows how big the series actually is. This pretty much like Inklings.
Can't blame them. NoA shoots down Lip every chance they get. Meanwhile, Sega has Arle Nadja with English voice-acting in Puyo Puyo x Tetris.
Yeah, she has the English same voice actor as Akko from LWA.

Lip didn't do as well in previous polls in Japan compared to previous games since she's not listed anywhere.

Last edited:

Jyl

Smash Journeyman
It's a pretty big deal if you were included as Mario Kart 8 Additional content Deluxe or DLC, it shows how big the series actually is. This pretty much like Inklings.

Yeah, she has the English same voice actor as Akko from LWA.
Man imagine Lip in Mario Kart. She'd fit right in.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Please do not double post. Edit your messages instead. :)

Honestly, after that appearance in AC, I'm thinking Lip will get a trophy at bare minimum. It's not playable, but it's a step in the right direction. I certainly hope for playable(though the obscurity means trying to be DLC is harder to imagine than base roster. But it will definitely help her being more aware of, meaning it should be far easier to port the games. Then again, even as a Trophy, it'll help get her more recognized... so it's a win-win in the regard of bringing her more to the West either way).

Jyl

Smash Journeyman
Please do not double post. Edit your messages instead. :)

Honestly, after that appearance in AC, I'm thinking Lip will get a trophy at bare minimum. It's not playable, but it's a step in the right direction. I certainly hope for playable(though the obscurity means trying to be DLC is harder to imagine than base roster. But it will definitely help her being more aware of, meaning it should be far easier to port the games. Then again, even as a Trophy, it'll help get her more recognized... so it's a win-win in the regard of bringing her more to the West either way).
The thing is Lip didn't even get a trophy for herself. Just a single trophy would do wonders for exposing Lip to the public but Sakurai didn't even do that. Melee was a great chance for a Lip trophy since there were so many obscure trophys in that game.
I wonder why Sakurai won't add a panel de pon trophy (besides her stick)? It's absurd.

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
I wonder why Sakurai won't add a panel de pon trophy (besides her stick)? It's absurd.
Probably because she's old and Japan-only so he thinks no one cares about her.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
The thing is Lip didn't even get a trophy for herself. Just a single trophy would do wonders for exposing Lip to the public but Sakurai didn't even do that. Melee was a great chance for a Lip trophy since there were so many obscure trophys in that game.
Which I'm talking about what'll happen in Ultimate. Previous games are like that for who knows what reasons.

New Leaf having her show up means it's far easier for a small Trophy cameo to get into Ultimate. Though at least it seems like they aren't doing these Japanese-exclusive trophy/songs/etc. anymore, at least. That was really annoying in Melee and Brawl. So if we get a trophy in one, we should in the other.

Jyl

Smash Journeyman
Probably because she's old and Japan-only so he thinks no one cares about her.
Hey we care. We're just so few in numbers.
Which I'm talking about what'll happen in Ultimate. Previous games are like that for who knows what reasons.

New Leaf having her show up means it's far easier for a small Trophy cameo to get into Ultimate. Though at least it seems like they aren't doing these Japanese-exclusive trophy/songs/etc. anymore, at least. That was really annoying in Melee and Brawl. So if we get a trophy in one, we should in the other.
Hopefully we do get her trophy in Ultimate at least.
I don't know if the New Leaf cameo will influence Sakurai's decision though. I hope he'll at least be aware of it. It's high time Lip gets something for Smash. (:

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
Hey we care. We're just so few in numbers.

Hopefully we do get her trophy in Ultimate at least.
I don't know if the New Leaf cameo will influence Sakurai's decision though. I hope he'll at least be aware of it. It's high time Lip gets something for Smash. (:
There are more of us than a lot of people realize. We just need a louder voice. That's why I'm pushing #justiceforlip after all.

NukeA6

Smash Master
Then again, even as a Trophy, it'll help get her more recognized... so it's a win-win in the regard of bringing her more to the West either way).
Trophies don't matter a whole lot in the long run. I mean, how many people are askiing for Tamagon and Captain Rainbow? At least with assist trophies, people have the idea of what the Japanese characters can do. There's a reason why more people want Takamaru than 10 years ago even though very few played his game at all.

Last edited:

NukeA6

Smash Master
I think I’m probably the only one.
Exactly although I knew of Captain Rainbow because of Did You Know Gaming. I didn't even know what kind of game Panel de Pon was and even imagined the stick belonged to something looking like this:
I had to look for it by chance to even know the game's identity.

I only see trophies as collectibles detailing Nintendo's history which I then forget about in a while whereas the assist trophy make some unknown characters look attractive (i.e. Saki and Isaac) and Ness being playable got me to play Earthbound which was a game I paid no attention to for years.

Top Bottom