• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The EVO-ruleset (continued...)

Status
Not open for further replies.

SamuraiPanda

Smash Hero
Wow. Just out of boredom and curiosity I checked SRK again for the first time in awhile, only to find that they reopened the beta rules thread. Apparently the final rules will be posted on Friday. Frankly, I don't care enough to even read it anymore. Especially when you have people arguing for the legality of things like NPC and Hyrule. Its useless to even bother debating with them, and I've already written off the possibility of EVO being worth going to for me.

Lawlb0t

Smash Lord
Very True. Just don't support. The high ranking players in other fighters who have beef with Evo should start a Neo Evo or something. Its all about the money and turnout now -.-

Firestorm88

Smash Lord
Very True. Just don't support. The high ranking players in other fighters who have beef with Evo should start a Neo Evo or something. Its all about the money and turnout now -.-
Or just ignore it. I forgot who said it, but it's just the same as a Nintendo or GameStop tournament. If you're in the area, drop in for laughs. If not, don't bother. Although I think it requires an entrance fee so meh. Other than items, they seem to be slowly moving towards the SWF way of doing things though. Counter-Picks is the only non-Items issue left.

I like the idea of a side tournament. Time is running out. Someone should find out what it takes (what red tape they gotta go through) and organize one =)

polarity

Smash Apprentice
yeah its all about the turnout thats why theyre snubbing the largest competitive scene for brawl

Kirby M.D.

Smash Journeyman
As a member of both SWF and SRK, I'd love to see this community come and run a side tourney in the accepted Brawl format. It'd give a reason to come to EVO and help show why the Smash community runs the way it does. If nothing else it'll show Wiz that our community is dedicated to the scene.

Patsie

Smash Journeyman
Boycotting the tournament won't be effective. Everyone from SWF should rig it so that an amputated ******** hamster squirming around on the GCN wins the whole thing.

That'll show 'em.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
We probably will, in the case of Smash. A local tournament based in California reached 192 entrants. :V

Cantrip

Smash Rookie
I just got to see the final rules set for evo, and I only have one real complaint, smash balls. I can deal with all the other items there allowing. Theres nothing there that I cant get around since i started playing smash brothers with items originally. But smash balls change the game more than any other item; you can go from a stock lead with little or no damage to losing the match in one fell swoop. I mean with the other items there allowing you can knock them away, reflect, dodge, or it will run out before to much damage is done. Smash balls theres nothing you can really do about most of the good ones. Snakes already a beast now he has one of the best smashes going for him also. Ok i lied theres is one other thing that is just dumb,"Excessive stalling or abusing terrain to not engage the enemy is prohibited, and can be enforced by a tournament director only. This will result in a loss of the match." wow! How wrong is this? It might be worse than the smashballs. In there terms this is like saying i cant play run away storm or try to win the match by time. The absolute worst part of this is now you have judges making rulings off total personal opinion. Judges in magic the gathering ave to go through tests to make rulings. The bigger the tourney the more qualified the judge had to be to make rulings. Who makes them qualified, just more personal opinion. This is a pandoras box just waiting to explode. His comparison to a card game is pretty weak argument considering if i take it one step further SSBB is closer to a fighting game than a card game so shouldn't rules from fighting games be applied first? As for how to get around this you cant, if you play at evo learn items.. I think what what makes this such a heated issue is that EVO has sponsors and its a big name event that the smash brothers might somehow end up always using items and funky stages. I dont see that happening since all the people who care and run tournaments more than once a year, unlike EVO, will still use sane rules. I think the only other way to go, is to go to Evo. The experienced tourney players read from this board and are going to win(they prolly wont make it out of qualifying pools) against "fun" stages and items players anyways barring truly dumb luck. So go and win the this tournament . However don't get into shouting matches and childish bickering about the rules you will makes us all look bad! Also don't get tricked into a ****** match like that control yourselves. Wear smash boards shirts n such if you do go and casually drop the smash boards name(especially on camera) around if you aren't wearing a shirt. The best press for our side is to go win it and get the attention on this site not srk.

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
As a member of both SWF and SRK, I'd love to see this community come and run a side tourney in the accepted Brawl format. It'd give a reason to come to EVO and help show why the Smash community runs the way it does. If nothing else it'll show Wiz that our community is dedicated to the scene.
We're dedicated to the scene. "The scene" is not necessarily every single Smash-tournament held wherever it may be held and whatever rules it may use. Joe Blow hosts a Special Brawl tournament, Curry Flower Stamina Metal Bunny Brawl or whatever. Is he automatically a part of the scene? Must we support him in order to still be considered to be dedicated and supportive to the scene?

You're not going to get many tourneys bigger than EVO.
EVO is not a single-game tournament. It runs tournaments in multiple games, which explains why so many people show up.

iankobe

Smash Lord
Seriously.

The one and only way to solve this is to run a SWF rules tournament on the side.

SRK won't change their stupid rules anyway. Let them have a tournament of their own and one run by us.

spudlyff8fan

Smash Rookie
I Ok i lied theres is one other thing that is just dumb,"Excessive stalling or abusing terrain to not engage the enemy is prohibited, and can be enforced by a tournament director only. This will result in a loss of the match." wow! How wrong is this? It might be worse than the smashballs. In there terms this is like saying i cant play run away storm or try to win the match by time. The ~~~~~~~
Wiz has stated and re-stated what this means. The only thing it effects (that we know of) are the Sonic stalls where he goes under a stage and homes all day. The reason he said "abusing terrain or excessive stalling" rather than "no Sonic Ceiling Stalls" or whatever they're called is because it's beyond likely that somebody would find Ike's Ceiling Stall (hypothetically, of course), then show up and do THAT all day. Once again, Wiz has made it abundantly clear that it's a precautionary measure so that somebody doesn't find out a similar (but unbanned) technique with a different character, sit on it until the first big cash tourney, and then win it easy-cheese. Because, honestly...if I found out Snake has an infinite stall, I'd be willing to sit there all day and stall as soon as I get a lead. And since everything is decided by highest % when tied in stock, I don't see how you could be opposed to this (unless, of course, you just checked the rules, thought "that's stupid" and came back here to post about it without reading further).

Oh, and the complaints about smashballs are stupid. The Landmasters, Snake's Helicopter thing, and so on and so forth are a likely KO at middle-%s on a small or medium-sized level at best. Not that it really matters. The only thing that comes remotely close to being a probable KO at low %s is Super Sonic.

Not that any of this really matters. You're right in saying that Smash Balls are overpowered because of the simple fact that all the "FS-counter stages" are gone. If you REALLY are genuinely afraid of FSs, then you should be begging for Hyrule Temple and New Pork City to be unbanned. My lovable doppleganger Lamewadd over on SRK said it best between flames, that if you're really afraid of FSs, then they should bring in New Pork and Hyrule Temple as counters to the "multi-attack" FSs or whatever they're called (though it also works as an effective counter to Yoshi's and Diddy's FSs as well). Runaway would be quickly settled by bringing back in the timer, lightning and keeping in FSs.

Funny how All Brawl seems to work better than anything else, eh?

RDK

Smash Hero
Let me start out by saying you're an idiot.

Oh, and the complaints about smashballs are stupid. The Landmasters, Snake's Helicopter thing, and so on and so forth are a likely KO at middle-%s on a small or medium-sized level at best. Not that it really matters. The only thing that comes remotely close to being a probable KO at low %s is Super Sonic.
Both the Landmasters AND Sonic's FS have the potential to shave off 2 stocks in one go. There's video evidence of this, and Wiz is a fool to think it's not possible.

The reasoning behind banning Smash Balls is solid and simple. Some characters have ridiculous good FS's (space animals, Sonic) while other characters have completely ****ty ones (Peach, DK, etc.).

Not that any of this really matters. You're right in saying that Smash Balls are overpowered because of the simple fact that all the "FS-counter stages" are gone. If you REALLY are genuinely afraid of FSs, then you should be begging for Hyrule Temple and New Pork City to be unbanned. My lovable doppleganger Lamewadd over on SRK said it best between flames, that if you're really afraid of FSs, then they should bring in New Pork and Hyrule Temple as counters to the "multi-attack" FSs or whatever they're called (though it also works as an effective counter to Yoshi's and Diddy's FSs as well). Runaway would be quickly settled by bringing back in the timer, lightning and keeping in FSs.
Bringing in stages that allow for infinites and better chaingrabs won't solve anything. Those stages are banned for a reason.

spudlyff8fan

Smash Rookie
silliness
You showed the utter frailty of my cognitions through your masterful use of the quote function.

This doesn't change the fact that other things end up getting empowered by the absence of their counter because of the subjective notion that they allow for infinites or better chaingrabs or are "unfit" for "competitive" play.

RDK

Smash Hero
You showed the utter frailty of my cognitions through your masterful use of the quote function.

This doesn't change the fact that other things end up getting empowered by the absence of their counter because of the subjective notion that they allow for infinites or better chaingrabs or are "unfit" for "competitive" play.
Oh boy, you sure got me. The fact that I hit the reply button too soon means all my successful attempts at pointing out your imbecilic logic are moot. Typical SRK response.

What gets empowered because Smash Balls are gone? The game is even more imbalanced with them than without them. The higher you go on the tier list, the general trend is that the subsequent character's FS is better.

AlphaZealot

Former Smashboards Owner
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
OKAY!

EVO has finalized the ruleset, that means they will no longer be changing it. At this point, all that can be said is this:

DEAL.

With that said, thread over, EVO will eventually have a thread in TL for its actual tournament, you can post comments about the tournament there but please, at this point, just pretend this is any other tournament that doesn't know anything about the Smash community. Go, have fun, take it with whatever light you see fit, the complaining will not get us/you/anyone anywhere.

locked.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom