• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The EVO-ruleset (continued...)

Status
Not open for further replies.

polarity

Smash Apprentice
Yeah, there are ways to counter stupid people using items at bad times. What surprise! No, really, those vids prove nothing more than that some people just don't have common sense.
wow you completely missed the point as usual, keep it up

SamuraiPanda

Smash Hero
Other than the landmaster video, the videos were pretty useless. Of course there are ways to avoid assist trophies and get out of fans. It seems most of SRK's research is dedicated to how things can't be one hit KOs, or how to get out of certain things. But they always fail to realize that a competent opponent will predict these things and counter them. Hell, every single time he ledge stalled to avoid a trophy I just laughed. Does anybody think that would actually work in a real game?

Plus, by the time you can get out of the fan for a lot of those characters, you've just been taken from ~0-60. Yeah, thats totally balanced.

polarity

Smash Apprentice
wow its almost like items create advantageous situations for the person who used the item

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Now if only there were a predictable way to increase the chances of getting an item. Oh, right. Standing still on the stage.

Aesir

Smash Master
wow its almost like items create advantageous situations for the person who used the item
Thats not the bad thing, the bad thing is they give the person the advantage for virtually no work half the time.

two of those videos were pointless, but you did show me you can fall through part of the land master which is sorta interesting lol, props to that.

BOFO

Smash Cadet
I'm surprised MLG rules are structured so much better than EVO's. They REALLY over-complicated this. Turn off items and set it to three stock and you're good to go. Stalling tactics are easy to counter anyways, eight minutes is decent, but in some cases would probably be rushing things a bit too much, and the fact that they have items is just silly, especially how they're specific items at that, making it painful for people to struggle to memorize which are allowed and which aren't.

th0rn

Smash Lord
I'm surprised MLG rules are structured so much better than EVO's. They REALLY over-complicated this. Turn off items and set it to three stock and you're good to go.
I believe both MLG and EVO had basically the same rules for Melee... at least MLG was smart in not picking up BRAWL for their circuit.

Melee was actually a good game without items. People should stop playing Brawl like its melee 2.0, because it's not.

Items ftw.

BOFO

Smash Cadet
MLG HAS Brawl in their circuit. And you're right, Brawl isn't Melee 2.0, because making any comparison between it and Melee is a cruel gesture. Melee was broken, unbalanced, and was rushed out to make the release date, while Brawl had so much time put into it that everything got balanced just right. The only problem with it is the items, as a good amount are too strong, and some can really effect the entire fight.

th0rn

Smash Lord
MLG HAS Brawl in their circuit. And you're right, Brawl isn't Melee 2.0, because making any comparison between it and Melee is a cruel gesture. Melee was broken, unbalanced, and was rushed out to make the release date, while Brawl had so much time put into it that everything got balanced just right. The only problem with it is the items, as a good amount are too strong, and some can really effect the entire fight.
Brawl is in Gamebattles and they will have online tournies, but it's not in their "Circuit" which is their live events.

Edit: No item johnz. I can just make snake and metaknight johns but I won't.

ToastMAN

Smash Journeyman
Lmao, Snake is the New fox and metaknight is the new sheik.

instead of making a char good we decide that a char should make us good.

BOFO

Smash Cadet
What on Earth are "Johnz?" Speak English. And also I didn't realize you meant their actual little events that are held. I don't think anyone even cares about those as they hold events for some of the silliest games, like World of Warcraft.

And what is with everyone here acting like this is Melee again? Snake isn't the new Fox, because it's possible to beat a Snake user without much trouble with any character, it just depends on how good you are. Melee had such broken characters that the worst characters were actually so bad that you really didn't stand a chance at all, but in Brawl everyone is so close, that it really can be anyone's game.

th0rn

Smash Lord
What on Earth are "Johnz?" Speak English. And also I didn't realize you meant their actual little events that are held. I don't think anyone even cares about those as they hold events for some of the silliest games, like World of Warcraft.

And what is with everyone here acting like this is Melee again? Snake isn't the new Fox, because it's possible to beat a Snake user without much trouble with any character, it just depends on how good you are. Melee had such broken characters that the worst characters were actually so bad that you really didn't stand a chance at all, but in Brawl everyone is so close, that it really can be anyone's game.
I'm going by tourney results and all top players mostly use snake and metaknight... I'm not going by results of Me verse my little brother or my friends down the street.

Battousai780

Smash Ace
Lmao, Snake is the New fox and metaknight is the new sheik.

instead of making a char good we decide that a char should make us good.
Marth ftw!!! But really, every game will always be like that. It's something that you can't really avoid. I honestly hate meta knight but started playing him a little just for that reason.

BOFO

Smash Cadet
And I don't play my little brother, I play people from Gamebattles who are pretty high up on the ladders. What a rude assumption of you, but hey, at least you're honest about who you play and who you watch. Makes some sense on what you'd know I guess!

BOFO

Smash Cadet
An item will spawn near who ever they feel like (figuratively) It doesn't matter how well you're dominating a match nothing is stopping that bobomb from spawning near the other player who put no work into getting it.
As much as I would love to argue against this, it's absolutely true. These things can really mess up a fight, and I've had plenty of times where I am trying to hit my opponent, and a bomb of some sort just pops up right in front of me as my attack just starts up. Other items can really being a nuisance as well. They're fun if you are just playing for recreation, but if we're really trying to determine skill, you may as well turn them off, as pressing A to pick something up and then pressing it a second time to use it isn't really displaying too much skill, although I guess you can argue that you're just pressing A a whole bunch normally.

BigRick

Smash Master
Montreal, Canada AKA Real City brrrrrrrrapp!
Aesir try grabbing an item while you're getting your butt kicked. It wont be easy even though it spawned right next to you.

Lol BOFO no offense but after seeing that comment you made about Snake I think that you should play the game a little bit more.

No fighting game is balanced, a very few are close to it. But Smash Bros. is made by Sakurai, so you can already forget about balance.

BOFO

Smash Cadet
Or maybe you should, as you'd realize that things don't come out as clear as "OH SNAKE IS THE BEST EVER EVER EVER AND CAN'T BE BEATEN BY ANYONE BESIDES TWO CHARACTERS." This isn't Melee. Also, we are talking about items here! Way to drop logic!

Sliq

Smash Master
Bofo, a strong showing for winner of the "Doesn't Know What He's Talking About" award.

BOFO

Smash Cadet
Sliq likes to be a part of the herd as he feels insecure?! It's okay though, this isn't an EVO topic anymore! Hooray for people that are elitists over a party game!

Aesir

Smash Master
Aesir try grabbing an item while you're getting your butt kicked. It wont be easy even though it spawned right next to you.
Meet the R/L button they allow you escape any combo in the game provided you're close enough to the ground. Air dodging has no lag so you can shield right after landing and roll away from any attack.

in which case grabbing the item will be that much easier because, the attacker is probably still stuck in the air due to massive floatieness assuming he was using aerials.

It's not hard to grab an item in brawl not hard at all, if this was melee I'd buy your theory, but in all honesty it just doesn't work in brawl. Considering every action that involves the c-stick or a button lets you grab an item lol.

if an item spawns near me I can easily grab the item.

clowsui

Smash Legend
Sliq likes to be a part of the herd as he feels insecure?! It's okay though, this isn't an EVO topic anymore! Hooray for people that are elitists over a party game!
because someone who has tons of tournament experience, placed 17th at pound 3, has been part of the midwest regional crew for years and actually knows what he's talking about is mindlessly joining the herd due to his insecurity, amirite?

to quote sliq,

"gg no re"

BOFO

Smash Cadet
because someone who has tons of tournament experience, placed 17th at pound 3, has been part of the midwest regional crew for years and actually knows what he's talking about is mindlessly joining the herd due to his insecurity, amirite?

to quote sliq,

"gg no re"
Because he is just taking statistics from tournaments and just acting like that's all the evidence you need? Because Melee is nothing like Brawl and even acting like years of experience in that means something compared to Brawl? Because Brawl has only been out for so long that most people aren't even nearly that good as they possibly could be? The list keeps going, but hey, lets just keep derailing this topic more and more because the smash elder gods are being objected upon.

BOFO

Smash Cadet
Oh, a sign that the one posting it can't speak proper English and would rather refer to lame jokes? Lovely.

SO HOW ABOUT THAT EVO GUYS? EVO? YOU KNOW? THE TOPIC'S POINT? Or has everyone wet themselves with rage?

BigRick

Smash Master
Montreal, Canada AKA Real City brrrrrrrrapp!
yea it is true item grabbing in Brawl is easier to do

Meet the R/L button they allow you escape any combo in the game provided you're close enough to the ground. Air dodging has no lag so you can shield right after landing and roll away from any attack.

in which case grabbing the item will be that much easier because, the attacker is probably still stuck in the air due to massive floatieness assuming he was using aerials.
However what you said here only makes sense if your opponent tries to pursuit/combo you melee style. The competent Brawl player will play while taking account of the imba airdodges and I dont see how he will be ''still stuck in the air'' while you have safely landed on the ground...

edit: to be honest I didnt really understand but if its what I think it is I dont see it happen with decent players

edit2: Ppl ignore BOFO he joined today. And BOFO plz stop posting and lurk more, you're not better than every1 else here.

edit3: That's why I said that there should be a probation period in SWF but AZ shut that thread on the first reply lol.

BOFO

Smash Cadet
I would like to vote for bozo as well.
bozo

I like how you're now using your time on the board to try to fit in rather than actually focusing on what the topic is actually about.

I'm sure your parents are proud of you.

Sliq

Smash Master
Because he is just taking statistics from tournaments and just acting like that's all the evidence you need?
What other evidence would you need? Tournament play is the pinnacle of play. Therefore, if you look at the absolute pinnacle, you can make a more accurate analysis of the metagame. I competed at the pinnacle of Melee. You didn't. Therefore, you have no validity in your claims of balance, considering you are severely lacking the insight to make an accurate assessment.

Because Melee is nothing like Brawl and even acting like years of experience in that means something compared to Brawl?
You see, when you are going to compare 2 things, you sort of need to know about the 2 things you are comparing. Otherwise you'll look ridiculously stupid.

Now, I know A LOT about Melee. You do not. Furthermore, I'm fairly certain I know more about Brawl than you. This is just a hunch, mind you, since my only evidence that backs this up is your join date and attitude towards Melee advanced techniques (i.e. calling something not useless useless).

Because Brawl has only been out for so long that most people aren't even nearly that good as they possibly could be?
And yet here you are, claiming Brawl is more balanced, despite the fact that this sentence basically counters your whole argument in the first place.

The list keeps going, but hey, lets just keep derailing this topic more and more because the smash elder gods are being objected upon.
Yes, the list DOES keep going, doesn't it?

Furthermore, this thread was derailed a long time ago. Nothing is going to change. EVO is going to hold THEIR tournament, and the community it's pandering to isn't being listened to. The end.

Furthermore, you are like the most internet serious person I have ever seen. How do you not kill yourself?

Aesir

Smash Master
yea it is true item grabbing in Brawl is easier to do

However what you said here only makes sense if your opponent tries to pursuit/combo you melee style. The competent Brawl player will play while taking account of the imba airdodges and I dont see how he will be ''still stuck in the air'' while you have safely landed on the ground...

edit: to be honest I didnt really understand but if its what I think it is I dont see it happen with decent players

edit2: Ppl ignore BOFO he joined today. And BOFO plz stop posting and lurk more, you're not better than every1 else here.

edit3: That's why I said that there should be a probation period in SWF but AZ shut that thread on the first reply lol.
It doesn't work like that though lol.

many will pursuit you thats the thing, well maybe not many but they sometimes will you have to take into account to that attacking in brawl puts you at a disadvantage. All they have to is power shield your hit (which isn't very hard to begin with mind you.)

See what I'm getting at? unless the said player is leagues below your level chances of you pressuring them away from the item are low. I'm talking about two skilled players going at it.

Lets just say for instance the game is close you and are playing you basically have me beat and are just looking for that final opening to kill me when suddenly say, a bo-bomb spawns right next to me.

>_> how exactly is that skill?

BOFO

Smash Cadet
Does baby need a diaper? Maybe glasses so he can see the topic title? See I like making a response like this, because you obviously put a lot of time into that just to have it all ignored. Maybe this can tell you something about how much attention people are going to pay to your Super Smash skills in the real world.

Sliq

Smash Master
SWF User: I think items should be off.

EVO: We disagree!

The end.

Aesir

Smash Master
Does baby need a diaper? Maybe glasses so he can see the topic title? See I like making a response like this, because you obviously put a lot of time into that just to have it all ignored. Maybe this can tell you something about how much attention people are going to pay to your Super Smash skills in the real world.

BOFO

Smash Cadet
Maybe if people were smart enough to shut up and focus on the topic? Also you just proved my other post right, good job!

Aesir

Smash Master
Maybe if people were smart enough to shut up and focus on the topic? Also you just proved my other post right, good job!
All you're doing is baiting flames, it's really kind of pathetic really, you come in here thinking you know more then a community devoted to the game. When you're prove wrong you just ignore it lol okay lol.

BOFO

Smash Cadet
Assumption again! I did not come in saying I know more, I came in saying things that are actually true but people toss aside because their intense research has proven otherwise! "Any character can win guys." NUH UH, TOURNAMENT STATISTICS SHOW ONLY THESE THREE CAN WIN. "Brawl is more balanced than Melee." NUH UH, I SEE TWO CHARACTERS BEING USED MOST OF THE TIME IN BRAWL TOURNAMENTS, WHEN MELEE HAD MORE, NOT LIKE FOX AND MARTH WERE OVERUSED OR ANYTHING.

BOFO

Smash Cadet
Finally someone gets back to the point of the topic, lordy.

And yeah, EVO is something I'd MAYBE hit up for traditional fighters. They don't seem to have much knowledge over this franchise.

IShotLazer

Smash Journeyman
That's the point though no one wants EVO to fail. It doesn't take a genius to know that it will and as a largely respected tournament company we want Brawl to be able to stay in the EVO lineup. So we want to PREVENT. However at this point it probably is futile in the first place.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom