• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The DK Match Up Thread.

Luigi player

Smash Master
Well he can't ever fsmash DK after the dthrow if you hold shield (I only used dthrow until about 180 % (so it was max-stale) and at the last tries I tried to fsmash DK but it never worked (I even buffered it). It was always a powershield. So either you did something wrong, or it wasn't as much staled.. Did he use the grab attack sometimes?

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
Ripple seemingly has something to get out of it. Maybe Big O could help testing it and finding it out (or maybe he knows it aleady and doesn't want to tell us like Ripple :().

Why don't you tell us? Doesn't it work if the enemy knows about it? If that's the case it wouldn't really help anyway ._.
Fine, I will. its about time people know anyway, at least the people who play DK. what wario is going to check this anyway?

Buffer dash> Pivot SA punch

you have 1 frame to do it

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
So, assuming that is legit (I'll have to test that....) you need a fully charged punch?
that's correct. must be fully charged. Big O said he test it with frame data. we only have 1 frame to do it.

oh but it only works while the throw is unstale or from 0-22% or something like that

Donkey Bong

Smash Ace
so if buffering a dash to a pivoted SA punch works, how come buffering a dash to a jump wont work?

iirc you can jump anytime during the initial dash animation

Ragnar0k

Smash Master
Why not? That doesn't make any sense. There is a limit to the amount a move diminishes.

Luigi player

Smash Master
Why not? That doesn't make any sense. There is a limit to the amount a move diminishes.
Yeah, if Wario starts at 30 % after using dthrow 9 times DK will have 74 %.
If he starts at 0 % it's probably 44 %. Can DK come out during 40 %-74 % if it's max stale or what?

So you have to do it after the first dthrow? That sucks you're not allowed to use your punch during the match (unless you grab release Wario) and the Wario can trick you to use it... he can spot dodge (or powershield) your punch and then he grabs you and you're helpless... so it's maybe a 50:50 chance if the enemy knows about it >.<

SuSa

Banned via Administration
Pikachu has to start his 108% chaingrab using dthrow on Snake starting at 19-21% (IIRC)

I don't know the exact reasoning behind it, but it's the knockback growth coupled with stale moves and blah blah blah... so meh.

All I know is CPU said not to even use dthrow until DK was around 28-34%

Big O

NNID
BiiigOOO
SuSa you escape the cg at around 100% by double jumping. It doesn't really matter when they start it so long as it is fully stale by 100%. If they start at 90% or higher you can double jump out of it from the beginning.

SuSa

Banned via Administration
I will regurgitate.

I was trying everything.

Buffering a shield, buffering a jump, mashing like a mad man, yelling at him.

If I ever see you around and CPU's there, I'll have him do it to you so you can show me how it's done, because apparently I suck at escaping things.

(PS: Snake has a 1 frame window it seems to escape Falco's CG at about 30% rather then 40% by pulling a grenade. It can't be buffered though :/)

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
I will regurgitate.

I was trying everything.

Buffering a shield, buffering a jump, mashing like a mad man, yelling at him.

LOL, I've tried doing that to lain

ook

Smash Lord
Have you tried saying "Grab........... grab.......... grab......... grab...... grab..... grab... grab" gradually getting faster/slower?

PhantomX

WarioMan
BRoomer
what wario is going to check this anyway?
Lol.

Our CG that starts from 0-22 goes to about 110 before you can double jump out (and if you don't during that one grab window it will go to about 130) and is then escapable, the buffered one goes from 30 - 180 and is inescapable. We don't have a guaranteed Fsmash out of it though, afaik (though fthrow works well enough). It always gets powershielded from my experience.

Staleness affects all the CGs though, so keep an eye out. If the Wario is smart he won't be using dthrow at all outside of CGing though.

Big O

NNID
BiiigOOO
It definitely doesn't go from 30-180. I just tried it starting at several different %'s including the 28-34% range SuSa mentioned and DK can double jump out at ~100%. Even when he buffers the cg (which is how Wario would be doing it anyway) the double jump comes fast enough to escape.

Big O

NNID
BiiigOOO
Nah I was doing it in vs mode. The only reason DK gets cg'd so long is because of stale moves and that he is forced to land which adds 5 frames of landing lag. Wario never gets more than 8 frames of advantage from the Dthrow (which is why Fsmash is always powershielded) and if DK doesn't land that drops to a 3 frame advantage maximum. I can't see how I could possibly have messed up. All you have to do is verify whether or not he can DJ before landing to see if he can escape. I also checked to see if DK would get grabbed anyway despite the DJ and it didn't happen when I buffered the grab with Wario.

PhantomX

WarioMan
BRoomer
If you don't escape during the tiny window to DJ (I think a few frames during 2-3 grabs or something), the CG continues on for whatever reason (from my experience), lol.

Also, DK is the only character we DON'T have to buffer the CG on.

Big O

NNID
BiiigOOO
That's probably why people think it lasts so long. Also if you don't buffer it, don't you have a chance of giving them enough time to roll away?

PhantomX

WarioMan
BRoomer
Nah, for whatever reason, DK is the only character that can't get away even if you don't buffer the turnaround > grab. It probably has to do with however many frames it takes him to rehit the ground.

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
I'm so confused.....Brawl makes absolutely no sense. maybe the games runs differently while running normally as opposed to big o's debug mode

Big O

NNID
BiiigOOO
They do run a little bit differently but I tried all of it out in vs mode. I know for sure that DK escapes at ~100% by double jumping. It is just that if you mess up you can't double jump out of it until like 130% or something like that. Wario's Dthrow at very certain%'s knocks you just high enough for the stun to wear off before landing. Most of the time the stun lasts long enough to force landings. DK is just has the perfect storm of gravity, weight, and size for the angle/knockback of Wario's Dthrow to get grabbed again almost indefinitely.

daisho

Smash Lord
So if you use up b with perfect timing then they would have 1 frame to turn around and grab you, right?

Because the throw gives them 3 frames and up bs hitbox comes out at 4 and the grab comes out at 6.

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
sorry for the lack of update so far, wifi is down at places on campus so I need to go somewhere I can get on the internet for about 10min.

TL sonic and falco are all written but they are on my laptop so expect them all up around 5ish, who would you like to move on to now? Yoshi? ZSS? needs to be someone in low tier probably

daisho

Smash Lord
sorry for the lack of update so far, wifi is down at places on campus so I need to go somewhere I can get on the internet for about 10min.

TL sonic and falco are all written but they are on my laptop so expect them all up around 5ish, who would you like to move on to now? Yoshi? ZSS? needs to be someone in low tier probably
May as well do Yoshi.

Yoshi is a dinasaur.

He has eggs and likes to throw them at you. They are annoying but if you learn to Powershield then while on the ground you should be fine. The problem arises when you are approaching from the air. Then he can toss them at you and you have to stop your approach. He can ledgestall with them and throw them pretty far. Just PS them.

He is mario's pet.

He has this thing called a pivot grab. Basically when you approach him he just runs away and throws his tongue at you. If you aren't paying attention then you will get grabbed every time.

Sometimes Yoshi is a race and sometimes one of a kind.

Once he grabs you he has nothing too special. He can do the grab release to regrab thing but it isn't guaranteed (right?). At the edge of the stage he can go for a spike but you can avoid that pretty easily if you know it is coming.

Yoshis give birth to each other in eggs. It is asexual reproduction and there are no female or male yoshis, just yoshis.

Between eggs and pivot grab there is really no way to approach yoshi if he knows what is coming. So mix stuff up and try to never give him stage control.

Yoshis can also swallow any creature and put it in an egg. They come out as what they were before, not as a yoshi.

He doesn't have so much trouble killing you but it isn't easy. His smashes are kind of easy to see coming and if you try you can avoid u air. Don't try to gimp him cause he gets armor on his second jump. He can also attack out of it. Watch out for that and if you can hit him off after the DJ then he is screwed.

He is also alot heavier than he seems and isn't that easy to KO.

He has no OoS options.

If he jabs he will probably jab a couple of more times for good measure and with almost no lag so don't bother trying to punish it.

Anything else I missed?
We can make this the writeup i'll just keep updating it with new info.
BTW 60-40 Yoshi.

smashkng

Smash Lord
NNID
Smashsk
3DS FC
0318-7423-9293
May as well do Yoshi.

Yoshi is a dinasaur.

He has eggs and likes to throw them at you. They are annoying but if you learn to Powershield then while on the ground you should be fine. The problem arises when you are approaching from the air. Then he can toss them at you and you have to stop your approach. He can ledgestall with them and throw them pretty far. Just PS them.

He is mario's pet.

He has this thing called a pivot grab. Basically when you approach him he just runs away and throws his tongue at you. If you aren't paying attention then you will get grabbed every time.

Sometimes Yoshi is a race and sometimes one of a kind.

Once he grabs you he has nothing too special. He can do the grab release to regrab thing but it isn't guaranteed (right?). At the edge of the stage he can go for a spike but you can avoid that pretty easily if you know it is coming.

Yoshis give birth to each other in eggs. It is asexual reproduction and there are no female or male yoshis, just yoshis.

Between eggs and pivot grab there is really no way to approach yoshi if he knows what is coming. So mix stuff up and try to never give him stage control.

Yoshis can also swallow any creature and put it in an egg. They come out as what they were before, not as a yoshi.

He doesn't have so much trouble killing you but it isn't easy. His smashes are kind of easy to see coming and if you try you can avoid u air. Don't try to gimp him cause he gets armor on his second jump. He can also attack out of it. Watch out for that and if you can hit him off after the DJ then he is screwed.

He is also alot heavier than he seems and isn't that easy to KO.

He has no OoS options.

If he jabs he will probably jab a couple of more times for good measure and with almost no lag so don't bother trying to punish it.

Anything else I missed?

We can make this the writeup i'll just keep updating it with new info.

BTW 60-40 Yoshi.
Yoshi's jump hasn't infinite Super Armor like other things. At certain time he can get hit out of jump (but with reduced knockback), spiking him if you know it is going to break the SA, and then he has his awful up b left with very little height. So hitting him out of the jump can be lethal to Yoshi. With footstools you can break the SA at any percent, hurting Yoshi.

I can't believe it's 60/40 Yoshi. He is very weak and will be forced to rack a ton of damage to kill DK.

daisho

Smash Lord
Yoshi's jump hasn't infinite Super Armor like other things. At certain time he can get hit out of jump (but with reduced knockback), spiking him if you know it is going to break the SA, and then he has his awful up b left with very little height. So hitting him out of the jump can be lethal to Yoshi. With footstools you can break the SA at any percent, hurting Yoshi.

I can't believe it's 60/40 Yoshi. He is very weak and will be forced to rack a ton of damage to kill DK.
Ya try to spike him, he'll up air you. I did mention that if you can knock him out of it then it's bad for him but don't really go out and try to gimp because you'll end up getting hit.

He is not very weak. His up air kills about 140-150 fresh. His smashes kill at decent percents and he can spike.

He has no problem racking up damage. He can basically combo you with backair tilts and the occasional nair.

ook

Smash Lord
Yeah I've always suspected this was Yoshi's advantage.

He has no problem racking up damage. He can basically combo you with backair tilts and the occasional nair.

For pretty much these reasons alone. ^

And the fact that his jump has heavy armor... you really can't edgeguard him at low/middle percents (which is usually a big part of DK's game)

I dunno... from the yoshi's I've seen, they don't seem do very well against other people, but then when I play them with DK, it's really close and feels like they should have won (or they DO win).

Plus the invincible roflcopter up-b doesn't work against the eggs :( and the eggs are giant, slow-moving, travel in an arc, exploding, and you can't cancel them out with bair or even catch them. If you stay on the ground and shield, he can just grab you or do or one of his long-lasting aerials (bair, dair, nair...) It's just hell for DK....

40/60 campy yoshi

if he tries the grab-release chain you can probably side-b him out of it if he messes up. Then he won't try it anymore. :D

Cyphus

BRoomer
BRoomer
i've played furbs and bwett(best yoshi?), and i'm pretty confident my DK would take both in a tourney set. DK is stronger, heavier, and better reach (all obvious). Eggs and pivot grab are the **** online, but if thats effective, downB to punish. The grab release chaingrab does very little percent if you mash it across the stage, and DK should be able to avoid any aerial followup off the edge and make it back (yoshi can't edgeguard DK)
I dont find either of those yoshi's incorporate alot of spam or pivot grabs into their games. Bwett does alot of DJC EggLays, B.airs, Jabs, but i Yoshi doesn't really have a reliable way of KOing DK. His best KO option is a high UpAir at like 120% or something. DK can edgeguard yoshi at least a little better than most characters can, and D.smash becomes a big problem for yoshi at higher percent.
i would think DK55/45Yoshi

daisho

Smash Lord
i've played furbs and bwett(best yoshi?), and i'm pretty confident my DK would take both in a tourney set. DK is stronger, heavier, and better reach (all obvious). Eggs and pivot grab are the **** online, but if thats effective, downB to punish. The grab release chaingrab does very little percent if you mash it across the stage, and DK should be able to avoid any aerial followup off the edge and make it back (yoshi can't edgeguard DK)
I dont find either of those yoshi's incorporate alot of spam or pivot grabs into their games. Bwett does alot of DJC EggLays, B.airs, Jabs, but i Yoshi doesn't really have a reliable way of KOing DK. His best KO option is a high UpAir at like 120% or something. DK can edgeguard yoshi at least a little better than most characters can, and D.smash becomes a big problem for yoshi at higher percent.
i would think DK55/45Yoshi
Cyphus arguing... for DK :O Truly a wondrous day.

How do we approach?

And I have never played a Yoshi offline but tried not to incorporate that too much on my analysis.

crifer

Smash Lord
I only have online mu experience against yoshi´s...
but it´s terrible... I have a clan mate and he plays yoshi really good....
Ever tried to sheild a egg and get instantly grabed? it´s insane.
u ahve to air dodge it or power sheild it, and air dodge is hihgly punishable of bair, nair or dair.

It´s always like he is getting me to 150% and then I rack up 100%,
then hekills me, then I kill him....

I thin yoshi has way too many options and combo abilities on us...

55:45/60:40 for yoshi imo

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
yoshi's have it as their disadvantage. 45-55

I bet its even

Top Bottom