• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The DK Match Up Thread.

Tujex

Smash Ace
IC´s are discussing us.

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=242786&page=47

this time, please participate in the discussion.

btw our mu thread sucks again. no continous updates. no structure.
sorry if I sound rude.
Ugh....I suck in that match-up so I'll be no good.

But yeah...we should pick up where we left off and get this thing rolling again. So far we've just been asking for random tidbits of info against random characters.

ZxChrono

Smash Journeyman
I would personally like to do ZSS next out of those three, since she has a move than can outspace us, even our down b :(.
are you talking about her fsmash or her stun gun? if its the gun just slap it out of the way and if its fsmash just shield it (that is probably her worst move), they shouldnt even be using that move. if its neither then what is it? idk since i havent had a problem with a ZSS for a while.

itsthebigfoot

Smash Lord
Update the matchups i have to understand TL,ZSS, plus Wolf i look forward to this.
All I know about the ZSS matchup is that you're pretty safe shielding a lot since she has problems against shields, and that back air seems to connect way more than it should. other than that I got nothing, it's annoying for me, just bair out of shield a lot

Tink has a very crappy punishing game, so you can ftilt a whole lot more than you should unless he has a bomb out. running + shielding works pretty well against his camping since his grab is really bad. also, most toon links will airdodge - zair - nair, just shield all of that and hit him right afterwords. other than that, punch him when he whiffs spacing, since it seems kinda easy to land against him, especially when he wants his usmash

Wolf really depends on the wolf, most of them you can just powershield the lasers and bair them off the stage into gimps/fsmashes, but i've been playing camaman's wolf lately, and he sideb cancels across the stage so much that you can never ****ing catch him, i have no clue what to do against that.

So against a normal wolf, powershield the lasers and try to punish/space with dtilt and bair till he's off the stage, then try to keep him off. just be careful when you try to hit him on the landing, cause they usually like to shine on the way down

Against a sideb canceling wolf.... ? point out that he's really ****ing gay

crifer

Smash Lord
against zzs I go mainly for bair and charge my punch in a safe distance.
If she´s at the ledge she´s done, you can ftilt her if she gets up with attack, if she tries to get back by downB you outprioritize her with bair or kill her with upsmash.

ok, I´m playing often a good ZSS with my DK, and we have always epic close matches.
I´m gonna write in DK´s view.

Strengths:
Power. range. priority. Seriously, if we hit you with a punsh, fsmash or usmash @ 80, you´re dead. dsmash @ 100 uspmash and 9punch, you die @ 60. actually it should not happen that often that we hit with fsmash, but usmash ( against downB) and punsh is good.
range. we have one of the best melee ranges in the game, and ftilt can cancel out your b and sideb.
if we hit with all hits of a grounded upB you get 36 %, which is in that case, your half stock.
bair is a move you should watch out for, bc we can do 2 in one sh, with suprisingly good range ( it can go through your downb as well).
When your on theedge, you´re screwed. I know every little option you have. you ledge attack sucks and get eysily outanged by ftilt. downB gets wrecked by bair or usmash (death). stand up and shield will get you ftilted and your back on the edge.
edge guarding can be a risky. we can gimp you with bair, spike you with fair or dair, but you can spike us ith downB, too. so it´s all about spacing.
we´re fat *****. we live usually to 150%. that´s a problem for you, bc you die at 80.

Weaknesses:
A good ZSS has a amazing stage control with sideB, neutral b. we´re obviously a big target. who of you didn´t get a 50-70 % string on a fattie? really, you can combo as to hell, uair usmash upB all string together nicely. you could thinkthat´s a huge problem for us, but if you think about how long we live and how long you live, yeah.
your armor part´s are diffcult to get around, but if you´re not careful we can use them against you pretty well (ever seen a glide toss by DK? 1/4 fd length).
ZSS can limit our options pretty well, but we´re lucky that we have such amazing bair.
If it goes to killing, you can kill us @ 150 if your sideB is fresh, bair can work and downB(difficult to hit).
If you´re in the air, you can have aproblem bc dk can juggle and punish you well, your dair or downB can work, but also can be punished.

I would say it´s a good 50:50 match, but it´s also stage dependant.

you want to try, to limit DK´s options with sideB and neutral b, and we will go for an aerial approach with bair, maybe you can punish that. we´re should not approach on the ground, bc you can grab us out of the sheild easily if you fire a neutralB.
if DK is inside, you will have a problem. don´t cp jungle japes, brinstar, delfino or yoshis island against DK.

against wolf: try to gimp him.

toon link: try bair, dodge like there´s no tomorrow

Cable

Smash Lord
ZSS can be annoying because she is fast and can juggle you around in the air but you just have to space Bair and ftilts and your fine.
As for TL your a big target and he has alot of weapons you would have to learn how to powershield everything and bair him off the stage and spike him with his slow recovery. Fighting a TL takes patience i guess.
As for wolf idk hes gay LOL

Ragnar0k

Smash Master
I hate wolf. As soon as I get past his blaster spam I get fsmashed back out and it starts all over again.

Cable

Smash Lord
Another character that is getting pretty difficult these days is falco its hard to win against a smart one but you have to play patient. Anybody have any tips for this?

crifer

Smash Lord
A Laser camping falco is a big problem.
I pick fox against him. And I´m learning IC´s,
but I don´t see how they should be that good against him^^

Ragnar0k

Smash Master
Super kong might help. Occasionally I'll duck a few lasers if they aren't shdl'ing right.

ZxChrono

Smash Journeyman
oh man falco.... hard enough already especially with people like DEHF and SK92 around here lol. safest thing I could think of is trying to approach by jumping over them with your back turned to him.

Chaosgriffin

Smash Ace
For falco, i spend most of the time in the air jumping and watching what he does while i am in the air. I messed with this one falcos head, he kept short hopping the laser and i would not block just walk forward until i was in range, then watched him closely while shielded and punished afterwards. Its reckless, but the lasers get you up to 40% so no chaingrab, also it makes the falco think, but after 30-40% i stop doing that. Anybody got opnions on this?

Tujex

Smash Ace
So we're doing Falco now?

Falco is a solid character, who you do NOT want to let control the match. I try to avoid Smashville or FD against him to assist with the laser spam, since that's the biggest problem I have with him. His aerial game is pretty good, and his ground game is decent...but his laser is the best thing he has going for him IMO. He can chaingrab DK to like 40%, I think....the percentage may be off a few digits.

I find him to be easily gimped since he only has two recovery options...and both are VERY easy to predict and counter. Timing a counter against his Phantasm may be tricky at first, but once you get it down you can set him up however you wish. Just be sure to not take chances as it spikes (common knowledge?).

Oh...and some very good advice a player once gave me. Never roll behind a Falco Fsmash...it put you right in the sweetspot.

itsthebigfoot

Smash Lord
So we're doing Falco now?

Falco is a solid character, who you do NOT want to let control the match. I try to avoid Smashville or FD against him to assist with the laser spam, since that's the biggest problem I have with him. His aerial game is pretty good, and his ground game is decent...but his laser is the best thing he has going for him IMO. He can chaingrab DK to like 40%, I think....the percentage may be off a few digits.

I find him to be easily gimped since he only has two recovery options...and both are VERY easy to predict and counter. Timing a counter against his Phantasm may be tricky at first, but once you get it down you can set him up however you wish. Just be sure to not take chances as it spikes (common knowledge?).

Oh...and some very good advice a player once gave me. Never roll behind a Falco Fsmash...it put you right in the sweetspot.

the larry follow-ups will get you to about 80, but to quote champ, larry is rigged. most falcos will only ever get you up to 50

this is the main matchup where you want to platform camp, it really helps against him, especially on smashville, battlefield, lylat and yoshis, as you can approach with the platforms, ps1 you just have to try to get him to come to you while you're on the platforms.

he is easy to combo though, so that helps out, and always keep a punch stored, because when he starts trying to ko you the punch can save you from a whole lot of usmashes

Tujex

Smash Ace
I only tried it like once, but I'd figure it neutral. Most Falco players I fight against go for the spike, or kill off the sides. The high ceiling on Japes doesn't help much (at least didn't make a diff in my matches).

And my opponents loved to camp the side platforms and spam lasers. Made it sort of difficult to approach.

Chaosgriffin

Smash Ace
When I played a Falco on JJ, I had to abuse the SA up b glitch to get near him. Also if you go to JJ make sure you know the timings for the claptraps. There are out when the seconds on the time end from 7-4, so for example it will be there at 4:47-4:44.

Donkey Bong

Smash Ace
falco cant kill!
its awesome, DK lives to like 250% against him.

we kill him at <90%

<3 paunch

itsthebigfoot

Smash Lord
I LOVE falco on japes, unless it's larry or sk

I actually have counterpicked most falcos there if they ban lylat, it's perfectly fine if you know what you're doing

just let them laser you out of cg range, and don't approach when you have the lead/they're on the platforms. just sit in the middle and duck when that happens

Cable

Smash Lord
I LOVE falco on japes, unless it's larry or sk

I actually have counterpicked most falcos there if they ban lylat, it's perfectly fine if you know what you're doing

just let them laser you out of cg range, and don't approach when you have the lead/they're on the platforms. just sit in the middle and duck when that happens
Yo how do you do against their falcos Sk's nd Larrys like have u ever beat them or at least taken them to one stock? Falco with alot of lasers is hard to approach. I honestly think i cant beat a falco at that lvl yet.....

ZxChrono

Smash Journeyman
its a nightmare on japes against larry >.>

i have fought against a few falco mains but none of them hold a candle to larry or sk lol. are there no good falco mains on the east coast? west coast i can only think of larry, sk, and sethlon.

Cable

Smash Lord
its a nightmare on japes against larry >.>

i have fought against a few falco mains but none of them hold a candle to larry or sk lol. are there no good falco mains on the east coast? west coast i can only think of larry, sk, and sethlon.
Our East Coast falcos well in Jersey are Kid, Bleachigo and Keitaro they are both equally good with different playstyles.

Top Bottom