• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The ~dere Thread; but mostly the tsun (& never the yan) (w/some anime) CHECK 1st POST

omgwtfToph

Smash Master
Nothing happening in slice-of-life shows is often humorous though. Nothing happening in Railgun tends to be boring fluff about the importance of friendship or something.

:[

I want more fight scenes.

Xyzz

Smash Champion
I think the Kuroko - Sparkychan / Saten - Uiharu shenanigans tend to be hilarious (:

But I totally second the "more fight scenes" - request. I kinda prefer those type of episodes in railgun as well (mostly because Biribiri is way too good at blowing stuff up :D)

Perfect Chaos

Smash Master
NNID
PerfectChaos7
Nothing happening in slice-of-life shows is often humorous though. Nothing happening in Railgun tends to be boring fluff about the importance of friendship or something.

:[

I want more fight scenes.
The episode we watched together was pretty funny and had awesome action, IMO. But aside from that, the pacing is indeed a little slow, as they are trying to adapt too little material in too many episodes (quite the opposite of OreImo's problem). From what Minato tells me, though, it should start picking up in the next episode with the debut of ITEM.

omgwtfToph

Smash Master
Yeah that episode was pretty dope lol. I do enjoy Saten/Uiharu interactions. I'm just upset that JUST when it seemed like the story was getting to the good part, I had to watch an episode about friendship and hunting for four-leaf clovers.

-Rei-

Saviour of PacWest
they have to add fillers since there is very little material

since once they do start the appearance of item and when misaki starts appearing more

everything is just gonna go fast which will leave the studio in a huge problem

the arc with misaki hasn't even finished yet

Minato

穏やかじゃない
Yeah that episode was pretty dope lol. I do enjoy Saten/Uiharu interactions. I'm just upset that JUST when it seemed like the story was getting to the good part, I had to watch an episode about friendship and hunting for four-leaf clovers.
They've been adding filler (scenes) iirc to drag things out in the anime. It also doesn't help that the manga sort of drags things out, but not in a slice of life way.

-Rei-

Saviour of PacWest
i'm guessing they are adding these friendship scenes for a scene or section that occurs later and to drag things out

Minato

穏やかじゃない
They have to go slow in season 2 so they can drag out two arcs. Level Upper Arc was 12 episodes iirc and almost a third of it was complete filler. So they obviously can't go at that pace anymore. lol

asianaussie

Smash Hero
what could possibly have made the hyouka ending better? actual relationship progression? this aint key, dont be silly.

re: railgun i somewhat doubt they are going to do very much (if any) of daihasesai, they put shokuhou in for kirakira fanservice and will likely allude to her maybe once or twice more

for the record, the shokuhou scene they showed is supposed to come after the sisters arc finishes

-Rei-

Saviour of PacWest
yeah i felt it was a bit off when she appeared so early

she appears in vol. 7

while i haven't seen episode 7 yet, they are currently on volume 5 right before ITEM is introduced

the anime is set for 24 episodes, which i'm sure they can easily finish the ITEM fights within the left over episodes

it would have been nice to end the season with misaki's appearance with the exact scene they just did earlier

but i guess they can do those few chapters like 2? before the daihaesai which would leave many ppl salty

but they're just going to use the summer special chapter to shut them up and take their money as an ova obv

actually now that i checked

it's gonna be the chapter where they're calling all the other level 5's and misaki is the one that agrees

Minato

穏やかじゃない
Yeah, they're definitely not going to adapt Daihaseisai in S2. There's no reason to ignore such a long gap in the timeline for the anime. They can either go all filler or adapt something from the novels like any of the SS stuff.

G U R U

Smash Lord
what could possibly have made the hyouka ending better? actual relationship progression? this aint key, dont be silly.

re: railgun i somewhat doubt they are going to do very much (if any) of daihasesai, they put shokuhou in for kirakira fanservice and will likely allude to her maybe once or twice more

for the record, the shokuhou scene they showed is supposed to come after the sisters arc finishes
Hyouka basically tried to do 2 things at once and did both of them average at best rather than focusing on one aspect and making it really great. Chuunibyou is the same way as well however the way they presented it was a lot more fun to watch and with the announcement of the second season there's more to look forward to.

The mysteries weren't very complex and their could've been much more of them. Ditto for the romance aspect.

I've said it before, if you are going to make a show have romance then you better have a good ending or I will not like the anime. Toradora, Clannad, the Love Hina manga, there's a reason why these are some of the best romance series. Because they did it right.

omgwtfToph

Smash Master
^ oh man I disagree with this post soooooo hard. Not gonna go there though LOL

I agree on the ending (as a whole - that one scene when Houtarou/L were walking home tho imo, was done absolutely beautifully) sucking though. It's cuz they ended the anime series on light novel 4, which is a collection of short stories. Ending at the end of the cultural festival arc, for example, would've been much more satisfying.

Also, I think a really underappreciated aspect of Hyouka is the theme of talent vs. hard work. Satoshi's character particularly resonated with me; he was a guy who didn't want to dedicate himself to anything because he'd given up on trying to compete with talented people. And then there was Houtarou being pulled along inadvertently by L, or conned by Irisu, coming to grips with the fact that being gifted or talented sometimes bears responsibility.

It plays off of the name of the series, too, since "Hyouka" read another way means "value." I'm pretty sure this was intentional.

It's really hard to compare Hyouka to Chuunibyou because they sought to do completely different things. The romance in Hyouka serves to provide character development for Houtarou via romantic tension and isn't an end in an of itself, whereas Chuunibyou is a straight-played romance.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
Hyouka basically tried to do 2 things at once and did both of them average at best rather than focusing on one aspect and making it really great. Chuunibyou is the same way as well however the way they presented it was a lot more fun to watch and with the announcement of the second season there's more to look forward to.

The mysteries weren't very complex and their could've been much more of them. Ditto for the romance aspect.

I've said it before, if you are going to make a show have romance then you better have a good ending or I will not like the anime. Toradora, Clannad, the Love Hina manga, there's a reason why these are some of the best romance series. Because they did it right.
The mystery was perfectly complex enough for the setting they were in, a school setting. The small one episode mysteries weren't complex to have the viewer actually be able to participate in solving them while the arcs involved lots of interesting word plays and references to those that do read mystery novels. These were presented in a fashion way better compared to something like Gosick which had poorly executed mysteries.

Hyouka's problem for me was having it try to be too serious than it really was.
Oreki being pissed about being used by the Empress was just too ridiculous for me to take seriously. It made me disappointed that the mysteries stayed in line to be believable but this didn't.

Chuunibyou did the same towards the end and tried to be all Key-like with drama and it all feels so out of character or forced.

And If you thought Hyouka was romance, you entirely missed what Hyouka was about. That wasn't the point of the series at all.

Edit: I have to disagree what people thought on the last episode. It might've not been what a lot of people wanted, but it really worked with what was the focus of the story. I wouldn't say it completely sucked, but the message that it sent was rather nice.

G U R U

Smash Lord
I guess I much prefer straight-played romance then, because I hate it when they just beat around the bush for entire seasons. Waste of my time. I realize that Hyouka was not intended to be romance but you can't deny they pushed it that way.

I also really don't like ***** main characters. If Oreki had said what he thought at the end I would've liked it but making it just a thought and then him saying nice weather or whatever it was he said was just awful.

omgwtfToph

Smash Master
I do deny they pushed it that way. Romance wasn't the focus of Hyouka; teenage angst and deciding what to do with oneself were.

omgwtfToph

Smash Master
LOL OH MY GOD I just watched the latest episode of Hataraku Maousama and I was ****ing dying the whole time. Like I pretty much started giggling and didn't stop. "Takoyaki" LOOOOOOOOOOOL

-Rei-

Saviour of PacWest
well i just spent too much tonight lol

i went to the station to pick up my cryska figure and saw a sealed gsc senjougahara while browsing

i bought her and orchid seed's kotegawa yui i was planning to get

now i'm home watching the nanoha 2nd movie that i rented from my local video shop and to my surprise had an option for english subs

i also rented the first 2 dvds of nyarko since toph likes it and decided to check it out

so i spent more than expected out of my weekly allowance that i budgeted but whatever

¥7000 enkai tomorrow for work after the sports festival also

Xyzz

Smash Champion
Japan is a scary place in terms of blowing money on stuff... Had I been in Ikebukuro on Sunday, I so would've spent way too much on CDs :D
(There were so many great album releases this Reitaisai <3)

-Rei-

Saviour of PacWest
i was actually in tokyo that day

one station away and didn't know until after the event

i quit following touhou for a long time now

but saw all these ppl in the station when i was at akihabara going to ueno

i later asked sion and he said reitaisai was that day

G U R U

Smash Lord
LOL it's funny watching you guys flip out over my opinion on Hyouka. People butthurt over their waifu Chitanda I think.

Dey c me trollin, dey hatin.

Xyzz

Smash Champion
one station away and didn't know until after the event
and here I was being excited for all of the week before it... *jii* so jealous :D
(let's see, that dBu catalogue thing would've been a something to surely buy, as well as the Aether x SSH album and the Halozy album (I'm getting so much flak for enjoying that ... :D), or the Satori no Dungeon Oukoku Soundtrack... argh... Goddammit. Too much great stuff). Too bad (or luckily?) that importing those things is so stupidly overpriced it's just no option)

Girls Und Panzer was amazing!! Can't remember the last time I finished an anime so quickly.
haha, I also caught up in one night during their hiatus, after returning from a ~10h smash session instead of going to bed like a reasonable person would... Sooo much fun :D (for some reason i can't bring myself to rate the show higher than 8/10 though... :x)

omgwtfToph

Smash Master
NOPE

Girls Und Panzer was amazing!! Can't remember the last time I finished an anime so quickly. All the characters were super sick (except the NERDS near the end)

LOOOOOOOOL hard agree with those post. (Except the nerds at the end were cool lol)

I definitely ****ing got through G&P so fast. It was like watching smash tournament footage lol I swear.

Xyzz

Smash Champion
If Hyouka would've constantly been on the quality of the cultural festival arc I surely would've rated it 10/10 and called it one of my favorite animes ever. As it stands it was a really strong 9/10 for me (: ).

-Rei-

Saviour of PacWest
i am literally at my sports festival right now

also i live in ibaraki prefecture and close to oarai where girls und panzer takes place

there are a lot of tank girl stuff here like the bus tickets and even an itasha city bus

i went to oarai but it was full that weekend (golden week)

i've seen on twitter how much tank girl stuff they have around the city

also the good stuff for muvluv starts in alternative

well the more discussed stuff that ppl hear or know about the series

-Rei-

Saviour of PacWest
when total eclipse was screened at ax

everyone that knew about the series yelled chomp

well it seems like lunch is over and more sports festival

Top Bottom