• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Debate Hall Social Thread

D

Deleted member

Canada's good. Blahh SWF. We should be Facebook friends or something.

What's up with you?

10char isn't gamer terminology

it's to bypass the 10 character limit on posts

like "lol 10char" would be okay to post where only "lol" would be blocked by the built-in filter.

get at me is just what it sounds like.

Reaver197

Smash Lord
"Get at me" just sort of means "ha ha, I'm showing off, criticize me for it" but in a playful, joking manner. A statement of posturing. At least, that's how I always looked at it.

10char just comes from smashboards' 10 character minimum requirement for posts. People just generally add it into posts that contain too few characters to otherwise be allowed to be posted.

Edit: Ffffuuuu

Pimp'd

ballin4life

Smash Hero
When you make a post that's under 10 characters you get an error message that says:

"The message you have entered is too short. Please lengthen your message to at least 10 characters."

So when people want to write a message that's under 10 characters they say "10char" or something similar to add characters to their post and get around the rule.

get at me usually means "talk to me" but I think in this case it's just an exclamation attempting to show how he is cooler than everyone else or something.

Like "I just scored a million points in Tetris. Get at me"

Bob Jane T-Mart

Smash Ace
That explains why you're crap at debating.

Just kidding.

By the way are you affected, or know people affected by the floods?
I'm glad you are.

One of my uncles was actually in Toowomba, right before the flooding. I think he left the day before actually. I was actually on holidays in New Zealand at that time, so I didn't really know much about it. I just got back yesterday.

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
damn you're only 15? heh sometimes I forget just how young the posters here can be.

I'm 34...

EDIT:

"Free INSANE CRAZY GUY!!!" really Dragoon? REALLY? hahahahahahaha. ha.

Bob Jane T-Mart

Smash Ace
damn you're only 15? heh sometimes I forget just how young the posters here can be.

I'm 34...

EDIT:

Yeah, I figured you guys would be a lot older than me. Would I be the youngest guy to enter the Debate Hall?

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
I think Dragoon Fighter is around 13. I think I remember seeing that somewhere, I'm notvestimating based off the quality of his posts.

Dragoon Fighter

Smash Lord
Wow that hurts Dre, I am pushing 18 now 17 wishing I was 12. I do think you are right that I need to put more effort into some of my posts. If you are talking about my old posts then I can understand you conclusion as clear as day, for the reason that before I got Google Chrome my spelling is horrible, still is, I guess growing up in the age of spell check has its negatives.

Edit:

I think that he has made many of us laugh, and I can remember several times in which I was having a bad day but his posts made me feel better. He is a light bringer in this age of modern darkness. While he certainly has his negatives and he kind of went a little into the deep end before his banning IMO, he certainly has noticible advantages and has transcendent humanity on the Smashboards into an Iconic figure that will always brighten the darkness of cloudy days. Oh, INSANE CRAZY GUY we shall miss thee.

Personally IMO he should not of been Super Banned.

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
Dragoon I thought I read somwhere that you 13, it had nothing to do with your posts.

Bob Jane T-Mart

Smash Ace
Okay, I guess that makes me the youngest member of the DH. Neat.

I've found a very strange essay written in the Wall Street Journal, and I don't like it one bit. It's entitled Why Chinese Mothers are Superior, by Amy Chua. It deals with parenting obviously. I'd be interested so see everyone's opinions on it.

Edit: I might even do a full critique of it later on.

Reaver197

Smash Lord
I read that a while ago. It was an interesting read, and definitely gave me some understanding to the merit of strict parenting.

Makes me think a lot about how I would potentially parent my children.

asianaussie

Smash Hero
That sort of upbringing may be dreadful if home schooling was also in the equation, but it isn't, and therefore it's debatable as to whether it's good or bad - I was brought up in a similar way, only my parents encouraged me to play a lot of sport, and I got into undergraduate medicine - found out 10 minutes ago.

Of course, I'm not really a usable example...

hey cool I'm also an Asian Aussie

moved from Australia a few years ago but I was born there

I really miss Australia lol. Used to live in Melbourne and I remember the weather being simply magnificent.

ballin4life

Smash Hero
Read the article. I think it goes way off the deep end but there are some good points too. Overall it's about finding a middle ground between the pushover parent and the "Chinese" parent depicted in the story.

KrazyGlue

Smash Champion
Hey, RDK is back.
Guess who else is back? Yeeaaahhh...

Hopefully when my school's midterms are over I'll get to posting in some of the threads I've missed.

--------------------

On topic, what do you guys think of Palin's use of the term "blood libel" when denouncing critics who linked the conservative media with the Gabrielle Giffords shooting?

She obviously didn't know what it meant, not that anybody expected her to.

And when you're talking about right-wing personalities/talking heads, this isn't even that inflammatory.

Bob Jane T-Mart

Smash Ace
The writer responded to questions from readers. Apparently, the article was an excerpt from a longer book, and it was kind of taken out of context. The book is about how she eventually had to change her parenting methods.

http://blogs.wsj.com/ideas-market/2...-responds-to-readers/?mod=WSJ_article_related

Still, the original article makes a good discussion topic.
Yeah, I think there was probably a lot of context that we missed out on by only reading the article.

I really hated the article, because it went against everything I'd ever thought about individuality and motivation. It seems to be full of offensive, and probably false statements such as:

For their part, many Chinese secretly believe that they care more about their children and are willing to sacrifice much more for them than Westerners, who seem perfectly content to let their children turn out badly.
I mean honestly... that's a nasty kick in the teeth to Westerners. Of course there are a few things to take home from the article, maybe parents do need to be a bit more stricter, so that the kids harden up a bit. And maybe it's healthy to make them put a bit of effort into what they're doing. But you have to justify it to them and it has to be reasonable and that's exactly what Amy Chua wasn't and didn't do.

Edit: I haven't really heard of Palin's Blood Libel remark. Would someone care to explain? After all, I don't live in the USA, so I'm a little detached from it's politics.

Lore

Infinite Gravity
BRoomer
Huh. I just remembered this place.

I'm really, really sorry for not posting guys. I've been busy for a while, but I'll try to be more active in the future.

Is anyone ok with me maybe making a thread later? There seems to be a lack of good ones lately.

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
knock yourself out. the best debate we've had in awhile is taking place in the CE thread, but we could always use a new topic to discuss.

I'd be interested in knowing if we could up the total thread count on the page. There's 10 total, and SEVEN are stickies. (We should sticky this thread too, lol). I'm all for stickies. But leaving only the 2 most recent topics viewable is kind of lame.

Top Bottom