• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The "Cut 5 Characters" Game

HelloImAxel

Smash Rookie
:4wiifitm::4palutena::4ryu::4feroy::4tlink:
Gonna explain each of them
1.Wii fit trainer:If we remove them no one will contest they are just not relevant enough to stay
2.Palutena:I personally wouldn't miss her and I would like a different Kid Icarus character in smash 5
3.Ryu:I think he was cool but just don't him returning for the later times I have little mac and I'm good
4.Roy:I like Roy and when i say he won't return I mean I want a new Roy and Roy that's different from marth
5.Toon link:Young link

SSJ22Terris

Smash Rookie
:4cloud:/:4cloud2: - Not cause I want him gone, I know a lot of people were happy to see him included. I just think he'll be the hardest to secure the rights to. And as such the least likely DLC character to return.

:4feroy: - Of all the Fire Emblem characters, the most redundant is easily Lucina. But since she's off limits, I'd have to say Roy is the next most likely to go. Even over Corrin, who i think has a better chance of staying due to the uniqueness provided by their moveset, which I think is valued over popularity.

:4lucas:- Considering Mother is pretty much a dead series, and he was skipped out over in Sm4sh's base roster. I think it's pretty apparent he's a low priority. Being a semi-clone there isn't much he contributes to the game that Ness doesn't on his own. And with out much relevance, there's just really no reason to keep him besides pleasing fans. Which is worthy enough, I think, to consider him, but not enough for him to not be cut-off if the dev team runs out of time. The only thing I think could turn this fate around, is if Mother 3 actually gets localized and released this year. Otherwise he'll likely be left on the chopping block.

:4greninja: - From here I'd say the likely-ness of getting dropped, well, drops. I think Greninja has a notably better chance than the others before him on this list, but still worse than the rest of the Pokemon. Having been in only 1 game edges him over Lucario. Charizard and Mewtwo are a lot more iconic and Pika and Puff have tenure. And while Greninja is still pretty popular (much like Lucario), I don't feel as if it's reverberated as well. Besides that, his Ninja motif, while fun, is a pretty redundant with Sheik around. Granted Sheik doesn't use swords, but Greninja doesn't really do a whole lot with them, and they don't even make sense with the character. I just feel like he's kind of got the least to offer of the Pokemon reps, and not much in General.

:4tlink: - Probably the long(est)-shot on this little list. I think Tink has quite a bit to offer to smash. Being representation for one of Nintendo's biggest franchises, and of a fan favorite of the series no less, he's certainly got the legacy to support his continued presence. Especially if Link gets a big moveset makeover to reflect BotW, having Tink around would be a great way to keep Links old style of play maintained in the series. The problem, if any, is that that role of "maintaining link's old style of play" could easily be kept by a Twilight Princess Link staying. Really it's a matter of choosing which of the two to keep. And considering Tink is just a clone/semi-clone of TwiLink; I'm not sure if Tink will be of enough importance to keep around. Depending how things get shuffled around, Tink could get dropped due to not serving any kind of role. Or simply be redundant enough to drop in priority and potentially get cut due to lack of time.

Koopaul

Smash Champion
Without the obvious three it's kind of tricky.

:4corrin::4cloud::4feroy::4ryu:

Hmmm... Who would be the 5th?

:rosalina:or:4bowserjr: if and only if they had another Mario newcomer to take their place.

SneakDuckens

Smash Cadet
NNID
heiny13
:4jigglypuff:: It's time. There is no way puffs would still be in this long if it weren't for being in the original game, but I'd much rather see some sort of legendary pokemon in her place.

:4wiifit:: I'm with a lot of other people in saying that the character is boring.

:4corrin:: Sooo many FE characters.

:4villager:: What a prick. Sick of seeing weird cactus things flying across the screen.

:4shulk:: Not really a fan.

I tried to pick completely original characters but characters that I absolutely want cut :4darkpit:,:4lucina: ,:4drmario:,:4lucas: and :4tlink:.

I would also cut :4ganondorf: and add him with a unique moveset.

Blackwolf666

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5000-4278-5177
:4jigglypuff:
Every single game I've looked at the screen and asked how did you get in!?

:4cloud:
:4ryu:
:4feroy:
:4ganondorf:

Last edited:

chemo

Smash Apprentice
Eugh, I'd rather not have anyone cut, but if I had to choose...

:4tlink: - I wouldn't mind having only one Link
:4feroy: - Not very relevant; is a semi-clone of Marth; and the game's overflowing with FE characters
:4wiifit: - Not relevant; done mostly as a joke

:4corrin: - Doesn't appeal to me much + too much FE as mentioned with Roy
:4lucas:- Probably my toughest pick since I still like Lucas, but if Ness is left as the only Earthbound/Mother representative it wouldn't hit me as much like other possible scenarios that aren't written down here

Last edited:

Sean Wheeler

Smash Lord
:4bayonetta: - I really don't find her that hot, Smash is E10, I would choose Zero Suit Samus anyday.
:4bowserjr: - Mario is way too overrepresented in Smash Bros. And I don't want multiple characters in the same spot in the roster, especially not as alternate skins. I would separate Alph from Olimar and completely cut Bowser Jr and the Koopalings so that there would be room for Daisy as a newcomer.
:4sheik: - No more transformations. And there's really a gender dispute for a disguise of Princess Zelda? And competitive players prefer this over the title princess? And Sheik only appeared in Ocarina of Time? Get out of here!
:4rob: - A toy? How can a toy be in the game but characters like Goku and Shrek can't? Also, R.O.B. is so stiff.
:4jigglypuff: - She's not that important to Pokémon or Smash. Also, since the Ice Climbers were cut after two appearances and Jigglypuff almost got cut in every game, she's not as safe as people think.

DMTN

Smash Journeyman
Now that I think about it, there are many characters I just don't care for. Aside from the Ice Climbers, I didn't mind any of the Smash 4 cuts. I think many people are glad I'm not in charge of Smash Switch.

:4tlink: - Unless regular Link receives a new moveset, I don't see much reason for him to stay.

:4zss: - Not a fan. Would prefer any other character from her franchise.

:rosalina: - See ZSS.

:4ganondorf: - Would rather have Ganon than another round of Falcondorf.

:4palutena: - Can't believe I'm putting her on here, because Palutena used to be one of my most requested characters during the Smash 4 days. Unless they revamp her moveset, I don't really want her back.

Honorable mentions: :4bowserjr::4charizard::4greninja::4corrin::4robinm::4duckhunt::4pacman::4bayonetta:

SwagGuy99

Smash Ace
If we are going on the characters who I think should be cut it is
:4cloud::4corrinf::4sheik::4jigglypuff::4wiifitm: (And as a bonus, :4lucina::4darkpit:) Cloud and Corrin were fun but I don't see them returning unless as DLC again. The other three lack relevancy. (Lucina and Pitto are too similar to their base counter parts.)

If we are going on the ones most likely to be cut it is
:4cloud::4corrinf::4shulk::4wiifitm::4ryu: (And as a bonus, :4darkpit:) Same reasons as before. Shulk I feel will be overshadowed for a Xeno2 characters(s) and Ryu was like Cloud and Corrin. (Dark Pit was basically an exact copy of Pit and unless Pit gets a new moveset I don't see DP coming back.)

Last edited:

SwagGuy99

Smash Ace
:4bayonetta:: Bayonetta causes a lot of problems for players. Some have simply quit because of her. I feel she was made out of spite for those who play competitively. If she returns, she needs to be severely toned down like Meta Knight.

:4cloud:: Cloud is overrated. I've never understood why some people like some blond wielding a bludgeon. (It's a bludgeon. No sword works like that. If I knew how to mod, Cloud's sword would match the way it functions.)

:4feroy:: I'm not allowed to discard Lucina, the Marth cosplayer. Roy isn't unique and isn't as good as Marth or Lucina. In fact, he's the worst FE character.

:rosalina:: Rosalina had her time to shine. Really, this character is carried by Luma. Just make Luma a playable character. Ta-da! Starfy confirmed.

:4tlink:: Toon Link is a waste of space. Link could be a better character if this knock-off wasn't focused on as much by the developers. (Yes, Toon Link is a knock-off. He's not even a descendant of the Hero.)
Ike could be considered the worst FE character at this point gameplay wise. At least Roy is fast and can combo.

VexTheHex

Smash Ace
The amount of Roy cuts here makes me sad because he's always our boy
To be fair, the rules state people cannot cut :4lucina: for being an obvious choice and many people mention this in their post. It's a little odd for her to be safe in the rules but not Roy. It just ends up making Roy look extremely unpopular in the biggest "to be cut" franchise in theory, but I'm sure Lucina has less of a Smash fanbase than him.

Crystanium

Smash Hero
To be fair, the rules state people cannot cut :4lucina: for being an obvious choice and many people mention this in their post. It's a little odd for her to be safe in the rules but not Roy. It just ends up making Roy look extremely unpopular in the biggest "to be cut" franchise in theory, but I'm sure Lucina has less of a Smash fanbase than him.
Even if Lucina could be cut, I'd cut her, too. I hate the number of Mario, Zelda, Pokémon, and FE characters in Smash. More time and money could be spent on characters from F-Zero, Mother, Metroid, or just characters who haven't been in Smash.

Sage of Ice

Smash Ace
NNID
SageofIce
i dunno if i'd remove anyone now that they're already here, but there are certainly characters i wouldn't have added in the first place if it were up to me.

:4cloud: - hasn't had an appearance on a nintendo system, aside from (iirc) a cameo in a spinoff of a spinoff from the main FF games. also, wasn't 7 the first one where Square Enix decided Nintendo's systems weren't good enough for their games? he always seemed like a bad fit for what's supposed to be a celebration of Nintendo's all-stars.

:4jigglypuff: - i don't resent jigglypuff like i used to but i still feel like her seat ought to go to more current pokemon. and i admit i could be totally wrong on this one but is she even as popular in Japan as she was when the whole Smash party started? i know this one'll never happen, the original 12 are the Untouchables and all that, but...

:4corrin: - "we're opening up a ballot! for the first time ever, your voice will be heard! tell us what characters you, the fans, want to see in the game! and while you're talking, we'll go ahead and do what we want anyway. let's see, what series needs some love? F-Zero, nahh. Metroid? Metroid who? I don't know who that is. Oh, I know! what do you think of a sixth rep from Fire Emblem, sound good? better be another sword user, just to be sure."

:4diddy::4shulk: - 100% pure and total bias, i won't even deny it. i don't care for their design, the aesthetic of their games, any of it. i've run out of characters who i feel didn't deserve to be here, and i'm going on aesthetic preferences to finish out my 5 cuts.

kool2419

Smash Apprentice
1.:4ryu: Kind of surprised when he was announced but he didn`t fit well along with the other smash cast to me, plus he`s third party.
2. :4cloud:Same reasons that i said about ryu, he didn`t fit in very well and another 3rd party.

3.:4sonic: I know that he`s the most iconic 3rd party character ever, but confound it all he does is spins for the majority of his moveset!

4.:4pacman: Three things weird moveset, weird character, and yet another 3rd party.

5. :4megaman: Because i didn`t like him being included in the first place and you guessed it another 3rd party.

Basically all the characters i want cut are third party characters, especially because Super Smash Bros. is supposed to be a game where Nintendo`s all-stars duke it out with each other. Now this is my upmost opinion but i know others have their own opinions. Bayonetta is the only character i want to return, i just hope that they rework her a little bit.

Last edited:

Erimir

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3823-8583-9137
So much hate for one of my mains :(

Anyway:
:4bayonetta: : Bayonetta needs to be nerfed, and cutting her would be the ultimate nerf. Also I don't like her as a character, aside from her effect on gameplay. She doesn't fit in Smash and she's not iconic enough to justify her inclusion.

:4duckhunt: : Duck Hunt's super-camp style is probably the most annoying of all. Matches are frequently an irritating slog even when your opponent doesn't have much chance of winning. I don't feel that griefer characters are worth including.

:4feroy: : We don't really need a Marth clone, and we certainly don't need two of them. I'd put Roy high on the list for cuts even after cutting Lucina.

:4cloud: : Cloud also needs to be nerfed. And the main character from perhaps the Playstation's flagship game, a game that signaled Square's abandonment of Nintendo, doesn't really have any business in a game of Nintendo all-stars. Terra, a moogle (like Mog), a chocobo, a black mage* or Cecil are all better choices to represent Final Fantasy for Smash, given that they're connected to FF's Nintendo golden age.

*Or another iconic Final Fantasy character class, like a Red Mage. A White Mage would be kinda hard to design tho...

:4charizard: : If they decide to add another Pokemon newcomer or two, Charizard is probably the one that makes the most sense to cut (less Smash popularity, less history than Jiggs) if they don't want the Pokemon roster to expand indefinitely.

Bonus cut:

:4corrin: : Fire Emblem is highly likely to get a newcomer or two, and aside from the clones, Corrin makes the most sense to cut if they decide they don't want the FE roster to expand indefinitely.

Spite:

:4falco: : I'd rather have Wolf.

:4pacman: : I feel like Pac-Man is similar to Duck Hunt in terms of griefer campiness, but he has a much stronger argument for inclusion as a video game icon.

:4sonic: :4olimar: : I find Sonic and Olimar particularly boring to play against.

:4gaw: : I just don't like G&W.

Reality check:
:4wiifit: : I obviously like WFT, so I wouldn't cut her myself, but realistically speaking she is one of the most likely non-clones to get the axe due to a lack of relevance and popularity. She is, however, quite unique, and I really enjoyed her WTF-ness (I attack you with... YOGA POSES).

:4megaman: : My other main obviously has a chance of being cut as a third-party (after all, Snake got cut). But I'd rather he were cut from Capcom's roster because Nintendo acquired him. Smash Bros treated him better than Capcom has for years and I'd love to see what Nintendo could do with the character. (Maybe Capcom would like to do a collaboration with Nintendo? I feel like Mega Man fits with Nintendo better than the other platforms...) Assuming most third-parties are returning, though, hard to think Mega would get cut given the reception he received (those E3 reveal reaction vids...)

Last edited:

Esquelen

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
0130-1916-2977
Switch FC
SW-3004-0190-2265
:4corrin:
I no longer needed Fire Emblem characters.

:4bayonetta:
I'm not interested, I've never played a game of yours because I see it as boring, and I simply do not have any interest.

And I do not like his attacks.

:4cloud:
What are you doing here...?

:4lucario:
Lucario seems so old in Smash... he must have stayed in Brawl

:rosalina:
It will represent the Mario Galaxy, but it has become like a filler character like Waluigi or Daisy, it was stupid to put it in Smash.

Last edited:

GreenOfRain

Smash Rookie
:4cloud:: I really like Cloud, but he seems like a one and done type character.
:4charizard:: Least likely pokemon to return.
:4ryu:: Again, One and Done.
:4corrin:: Make way for Lyn/FE 16 Lord!
:4robinm:: See Above.

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
:4bayonetta: :4cloud: :4ryu:

I have nothing against these three (except for Cloud), but unlike Sonic, Mega-Man and Pac-Man, these third-party characters don't have "Joe Schmoe" recognition (and yes that includes Cloud).

:4corrin:

I am shocked that the ruleset of this thread does not forbid Corrin from being mentioned, because I see him/her as just as much of an easy target as the clones.

:4zss:

I'm sorry ZZS, but you're time is up. One of two characters to ride on the popularity of another character, but unlike Sheik, Zero doesn't have "Melee history" to back her up.

NSSKG151

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Lucaruto151RedX
3DS FC
1092-1616-4089
Switch FC
SW-4128-7335-9024
:4darkpit::4drmario::rosalina::4jigglypuff::4sheik:
Most of my choices were characters with clone movesets (Dark Pit/Dr. Mario) or characters that are popular in their own franchise but I wouldn't consider seeing them as the face of the their represented series (Rosalina/Jigglypuff/Shiek). Didn't include the DLC characters because they are just bonuses and you are not required to get them on your copy of the game.

Gameboi834

Smash Lord
NNID
Gameboi834
Damn, no love for Cloud or Bayonetta here. Guess I shouldn't be surprised, given the meta lmao

:4darkpit: - Unless he's differentiated from Pit, he is quite literally a clone, not enough in my opinion to have to spend time on bugfixes and other glitchwork. I'd be all for him if he used other weapons from Uprising, but as is? Nah.

:4bowserjr: - I actually really like Bowser Jr., plus he's a conduit for having the Koopalings in the game by proxy, but with so many viable Mario characters, it would be cool to see him cut to let another Mario staple shine.

:4miibrawl::4miigun::4miisword::4mii::4miif:- They were a cool addition and a cool idea, but I feel like they're more trouble than they're worth, what with all the custom moves and such.

:4lucina: - Oh my god get ooout of here you are not Tharja.

:4sheik: - Honestly? Would rather see Impa come in as a Shiek clone. Shiek was in one game, less than Toon Link, yet she stuck around until Smash 4. Plus Impa has been in the Zelda franchise since the beginning. Give her some love, Sakurai.

waddledeeonredyoshi

Smash Lord
:4feroy:: Honestly if it wasn't for the ''Roy's our boy'' chant I think people would struggle to find a proper reason for him to return. He's still just a Marth clone and a bad FE lord from what I've heard.

:4corrin::4corrinf:: Most generic and uncharming character to ever join Smash. Ruined Smash 4's Final DLC for me and alot of other people.

:4cloud:: Has the least Nintendo history out of anyone on the roster. And I'd say with only two ripped music tracks and no non-character specific trophies, I'd say Square didn't really want to go all out with representing FF in Smash.

:4tlink:: Doesn't really represent Wind Waker all that well to my knowledge.

:4wiifit::4wiifitm:: Nintendo's done with the Wii brand and I can't really imagine people being all that upset if they were cut.

BridgesWithTurtles

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3523-2059-7939
I hate characters getting cut, but there are some that I think are more expendable than others if the situation calls for a few removals.

:4cloud:- I'd like to see him stay; he has a ton of fans and a fun moveset. With that said, he's probably the hardest third-party to secure the rights to and since he's not really a "Nintendo player", I don't feel like he's necessary to keep around. If he left the roster, it wouldn't feel like anyone essential to the "Nintendo All-Stars" theme would be lost. I could see him being a cool one-time treat, like Snake.

:4wiifit:- Again, the moveset is fun and I'd like her to stay. I don't agree that every character needs to be "relevant" to stay on the roster. The Wii era is a huge part of Nintendo's history and Wii Fit itself was a pretty big success. I never felt like we really needed a playable character to represent that, though, and WFT could have worked just as well as a stage element or assist character. Since WFT is really just a personified tutorial system in her own games, there isn't a lot of character to her that makes her that endearing (in my opinion anyway). Again, don't want her gone, but she's probably one of the characters whose removal would upset the least amount of people.

:4corrin:- This one I'd have no qualms with giving the axe to. A series with a rotating cast means you can't keep adding newcomers to promote every single game without cutting some eventually. As a DLC character that arrived later on in the game's life, I feel like the least amount of people are attached to Corrin when compared to the other Fire Emblem characters. If they replaced Corrin with some shiny new FE character, I think the majority of Smash players would hardly care.

:4bayonetta: - I think she's likely to return, though I'd be fine with her leaving. I think it'd be really hard to balance her in a way that doesn't compromise how truthful to her games her moveset is, but I certainly don't want her running around a second Smash game the way she currently is. Personally, I have no attachment to the character even after playing her games, so she doesn't stand out to me as a "necessary" third-party character either, despite how closely Nintendo has worked with the series.

:4ryu:- I'm gonna miss him if he gets cut, but I just feel like he will be and I think it's pretty justifiable to avoid third-party bloat. A lot of people want to see more Capcom characters join the roster, but having three characters from one company is just excessive to me (two was already a bit iffy in my book). Between Ryu and :4megaman:, I'd rather keep the latter. Like Cloud and Snake, I see him as being a "one game wonder".

Last edited:

Brendog2

Smash Rookie
:4cloud:: Out of all the 3rd parties, he’s the least Nintendo out of all of them
:4corrinf:: Too many fire emblem reps
:4feroy:: same reason as Corrin
:4tlink:: this one has a bigger explanation. In smash melee the Zelda characters were based on OOT and we had young Link, in brawl and smash 4 the Zelda characters were based on TP and we had toon link. With the Zelda characters now being based on BOTW, I believe a new “child link” will take Toon links place in smash 5. Probably the one from ALBTW or triforce heroes
:4lucina:: I know you said “no clones”, but my reason for including Lucina isn’t because she’s a clone, but rather the same reason as Roy and Corrin. I believe that the amount of FE characters in smash 5 should be cut in half (6 to 3) and the only ones remaining should be Marth, Ike, and Robin

Last edited:
Top Bottom