• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The "Cut 5 Characters" Game

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
If you want to cut Jigglypuff, you’re a horrible human being. What’s the pink balloon ever done to you? (Although replacing her with Wigglytuff isn’t a bad idea.)

I would cut:
:4bayonetta::4bowserjr::4olimar::4greninja: and :4tlink:

If I wasn’t limited to just five, Sonic, Villager, WFT, and Duck Hunt Dog could go as well.

Last edited:

SenSx

Smash Apprentice
:4drmario::4ryu::4bayonetta::4cloud2: :4corrin: or :4feroy:

:4drmario: Because he could not be more of a clone.
I've never liked 3rd party characters, when they don't fit in the game, and I feel :4ryu::4bayonetta::4cloud2: don't !
I can understand :4megaman: and :4pacman:, they are more cartonnish, and would also understand Rayman.
But I don't want too many 3rd parties, even like that.
Some deserving Nintendo characters ned their chance before that.

After that I'd like to cut the pretty anime boys from FE or XB, they look all the same, I really don't get what's interesting with them...
If I had to cut more than 5 it will be them.

So many :4ryu::4bayonetta::4cloud2: and Fire Emblem haters on this topic...
Well I'm one too, hurray !!!!:grin:

Last edited:

The Original Robot boy

Smash Champion
NNID
AzureXeire
3DS FC
0173-2317-7445
:4ryu: There's already Megaman Representing Capcom

:4bayonetta::4bayonetta2: A bit overpowered and super safe

:4corrin: Too many Fire emblems

:4duckhunt: Rob and Mr game and watch already represent the classic gens

and since i cant kill the miis i will kill the next best thing :4sheik:

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
Ehh, why not? Let's give this a whirl:
:rosalina:Horribly misrepresented, frankly unnecessary, and honestly one of, if not the least fun character to play against in Smash history. One of the few characters whom I'd actually rejoice if she got cut.
:4corrin::4corrinf:Literally only added to advertise a FE game nobody remembers and/or likes. Keep flavor of the months choices like this out of my Smash.
:4bayonetta::4bayonetta2:Simply put, the game would be better if she wasn't in it.
:4littlemac:See above.
:4cloud::4cloud2:Not only is he ungodly anti-fun to play against, but Squenix has been known to change their mind on a dime, so I can actually see this one happening if they suddenly decide to pull out of the Smash deal for some ungodly reason. Unfortunately, this means no Geno, but I'd honestly take that as a trade-off for never having to look at Cloud in Smash again.

And since I can't kill them, dishonorable mention goes to the Miis. I never liked the idea behind them of "you can pretend to play as anyone you want now!"

Last edited:

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Imma try and not trigger people...like how I’ve been triggered from the :4corrinf::rosalina::4duckhunt::4drmario:picks...oof to y’all...anywhom...

1. :4cloud::4cloud2:...why not
2. :4miisword:...replace with a Mii that uses ninjutsu weapons
3. :4miigun:...replace with a better Mii unless buffed
4. :4dedede:...because I wouldn’t miss him
5. :4wiifitm:...just the male version...cause ew

osby

Smash Obsessed
  1. :4link: Because we don't need another Marth clone
  2. :4samus: She was relevant in 64, but not anymore
  3. :4dk:We have too many cartoon animals
  4. :4mario: Too many Mario characters
  5. :4pikachu:Let's be honest, he's just here to promote Pokemon. He was just important in one game (Yellow), he's annoying to fight against, there are already characters representing Pokemon Company, he misrepesented, he looks exactly like all other Pokemon and game would be better if he wasn't in. And let's be honest, noone other than Sakurai would put him into the game.

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
:4lucario: I don't really like Lucario and he's not really a relevant Pokemon...I mean he continues to get promoted for some reason. Rather cut him than Jiggly honestly.

:4feroy: Feels ****ty after just getting him back. But out of all the fire emblem characters he should go.

:4ryu:Never liked him. Sorry.

:4sheik:Alright this one is cheating, but replace with Impa with more or less the same move set.

:4ganondorf: Cheating again (fight me). Replace him with Too Ganondorf. Best Ganondorf.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
:4lucario: I don't really like Lucario and he's not really a relevant Pokemon...I mean he continues to get promoted for some reason
Any Pokémon who hilariously beats the sh*t out of Pikachu due to being out of control deserves to stay in Smash

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
Any Pokémon who hilariously beats the sh*t out of Pikachu due to being out of control deserves to stay in Smash
Um one of the rules was not to criticize someone else's pick...I'm just kidding lol.

Nah I think I still have bias from going into Smash 4 thinking Lucario was gunna be cut just like Mewtwo was, and was shocked to see him return. So part of me wouldn't mind him not returning. (I don't expect any cuts btw, but for the sake of this thread).

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Um one of the rules was not to criticize someone else's pick...I'm just kidding lol.

Nah I think I still have bias from going into Smash 4 thinking Lucario was gunna be cut just like Mewtwo was, and was shocked to see him return. So part of me wouldn't mind him not returning. (I don't expect any cuts btw, but for the sake of this thread).
Understandable. Tbh I feel like Greninja would be the only Pokémon to get cut if they were to do a flavor of the generation kind of thing (hope not cause a grass/water/fire combo is needed once more)

ZagarTulip

Smash Journeyman
:4greninja: - Greninja because I find it to be overrated and I cannot stand the way he plays, not to mention the fanbase of Greninja is too much for me. I honestly liked playing Squirtle more in Brawl compared to Greninja in Smash 4
:4palutena: - I wasn't the hugest fan of Palutena.
:4metaknight: - I just wasn't huge on playing or fighting Meta Knight.
:rosalina: - She was unique and interesting as a character, but it felt a little down the line for a Mario Character imo.
:4zss: - Just not a fan.

Nebunera

Smash Apprentice
:4bayonetta: - Caused major controversy in the game.
:4wiifit: - Not fun to play and not excited to hear that they were playable.
:rosalina:- Annoying to play against, just a poor replacement for :popo: and there could've been a better Mario character.
:4charizard: - I liked Squirtle and Ivysaur more, they brought the worst one back.
:4corrin:- Not that memorable, and too many Fire Emblem characters.

Sinn0h

Thot
:4bayonetta:
It's Bayonetta...

:4bowserjr:
Wasn't that great of an addition to the cast.

:4greninja:
Extremely replaceable.

:4robinm:
A pretty eh character, also extremely replaceable.

:4wiifit:
The Wii is dead now.

Last edited:

IanTheGamer

Smash Champion
There are several characters I want cut, but since I can only choose 5 here
:4feroy:- Was only brought back due to the nonstop whining of Melee fanboys

:4corrin:/:4corrinf:- From one of the weaker entries in the Fire Emblem Franchise, a downright terrible character, and DLC that nobody asked for

:4wiifit:/:4wiifitm:- Kinda forgot Wii Fit existed,

:4ryu:- Seemed to be more of a one off character than anything

:4jigglypuff:- How was Jiggly even playable, no moveset potential, at all and totally irrelevant to the Pokemon franchise, of the original 12, Jiggly is probably the only one I want out of Smash ASAP

Edit: Got Robin and Corrin mixed up

Last edited:

Autumn ♫

I'm terrible with these Custom Titles.
:4jigglypuff:
Jiggly's just not really relevant anymore, and hasn't been for quite a long time.

:4lucas:
As much as it pains me, unless Mother 3 gets a release, there's not really any reason to keep him anymore.

:4feroy:
Out of all the Fire Emblem characters in Smash, Roy's definitely the least important. I'd say cut Marth instead, but that'd give too big of an uproar.

:4tlink:
This is where the deeper cuts start. We haven't had a Toon style game in a while unless you count Wind Waker HD, and his moveset is basicly just smaller Link.

:4sheik:
Honestly this one was either going to be either Sheik or Zero Suit Samus. The only thing that pushed ZSS above Sheik was that she's appeared in more games, despite only being playable in one, while Sheik is only seen in one game.

Octorockandroll

Smash Journeyman
Writing Team
:4wiifit::4wiifitm: A cool idea if for no other reason than how wacky it is in concept, but not particularly fun, very little personality and they belong to a franchise people never really cared too much about.

:4feroy: We already have enough Fire Emblem characters and I just straight up do not like the way Roy is designed. His stupid anti-tipper rewards bad spacing which is too far removed from the fundamentals of the game without being a good enough gimmick to justify being that way.

:4darkpit: I'd be down to see him be more fleshed out into being his own character, but at this point I think there are better options to include so Im A ok with him getting cut.

:4lucina: Another Fire Emblem character I really don't feel like we need again. Better than Roy in terms of design and I like that she gives a weaker but more consistent counterbalance to Marth, but in a franchise thats already a bit overepresented in this game, she's a good fit for the cutting room floor.

:4cloud:Just always felt out of place to me in terms of smash. I think his moveset is pretty cool (if a touch overpowering) but even as a big FF fan I just don't get a lot of hype from seeing this guy here.

SirCamp

Smash Ace
SO this probably reads as blasphemy to many, but whatever. Generally I don't find clones to be interesting, which both means if I were made to do cuts I would cut them first (or likely merge them into alternates like Alph/Koopalings. Which is something I think there should be more of anyway). But that also means I don't find the act of cutting them terribly interesting, so I've left them out of my list.

:4feroy: - Roy just strikes me as the least interesting Fire Emblem character. I imagine we'll get another and FE has many characters already, to the point where people complain. His move set is derivative and his gimmick is anti-synergistic with itself. I don't hate him but he would be the first FE character I would cut, if I were cutting characters. There are also just plenty more interesting and varied potential characters from FE itself, imo.

:4bayonetta: - Bayonetta just honestly feels very out of place for me. Competitively she irritates people, but that can be balanced so it's not a huge deal to me. The biggest thing for me is that she isn't iconic on the same level as any of the other 3rd party guest characters. And Smash has always felt like a celebration of Nintendo history to me, and as such I'd personally prefer 3rd parties to be kept to a minimum and for those chosen to have a storied and iconic relationship to Nintendo and it's history.

:4rob: - R.O.B. is honestly just a profoundly uninteresting character to me. Not a whole let else to say. I get that he is certainly relevant to Nintendo's history, so this is a bit hypocritical I suppose. I just don't find his design or move set interesting. And I don't feel like that history is enough to justify his inclusion given that he is so bland. This is entirely subjective of course.

:4jigglypuff: - So Jigglypuff is one of the original 12, yadda yadda. Honestly I don't care about that. What I care about is if she is interesting and is she relevant and is she popular and is she important to Nintendo history. As far as particular pokemon go, the Puff doesn't really do terribly well in any of those categories. And honestly of the IPs included in Smash both Pokemon and FE I think are the two for which a rotating cast of Smash characters makes the most sense. Jigglypuff had her time, but I don't think that her meta smash relevance justifies her continued inclusion.

:4sheik: - So I say this as someone who LOVES Sheik. I played the **** out of her all the time in Melee with my friends growing up. But let's be real, she is simply not a relevant character. And like with Jigglypuff I honestly just don't think that her past inclusion justifies a continued presence. Just showing up isn't enough. Now ideally, for me anyway, she would simply get replaced by Impa and that would be that. We get an actually relevant character whose inclusion is justified, and people get to keep playing with Sheiks style/move set.

Also, so people can hate me even more, let's add Tingle to the game! =)

Aren't you glad I'm not in charge?

Al-kīmiyā'

Smash the State
SO this probably reads as blasphemy to many, but whatever. Generally I don't find clones to be interesting, which both means if I were made to do cuts I would cut them first (or likely merge them into alternates like Alph/Koopalings. Which is something I think there should be more of anyway). But that also means I don't find the act of cutting them terribly interesting, so I've left them out of my list.

:4feroy: - Roy just strikes me as the least interesting Fire Emblem character. I imagine we'll get another and FE has many characters already, to the point where people complain. His move set is derivative and his gimmick is anti-synergistic with itself. I don't hate him but he would be the first FE character I would cut, if I were cutting characters. There are also just plenty more interesting and varied potential characters from FE itself, imo.

:4bayonetta: - Bayonetta just honestly feels very out of place for me. Competitively she irritates people, but that can be balanced so it's not a huge deal to me. The biggest thing for me is that she isn't iconic on the same level as any of the other 3rd party guest characters. And Smash has always felt like a celebration of Nintendo history to me, and as such I'd personally prefer 3rd parties to be kept to a minimum and for those chosen to have a storied and iconic relationship to Nintendo and it's history.

:4rob: - R.O.B. is honestly just a profoundly uninteresting character to me. Not a whole let else to say. I get that he is certainly relevant to Nintendo's history, so this is a bit hypocritical I suppose. I just don't find his design or move set interesting. And I don't feel like that history is enough to justify his inclusion given that he is so bland. This is entirely subjective of course.

:4jigglypuff: - So Jigglypuff is one of the original 12, yadda yadda. Honestly I don't care about that. What I care about is if she is interesting and is she relevant and is she popular and is she important to Nintendo history. As far as particular pokemon go, the Puff doesn't really do terribly well in any of those categories. And honestly of the IPs included in Smash both Pokemon and FE I think are the two for which a rotating cast of Smash characters makes the most sense. Jigglypuff had her time, but I don't think that her meta smash relevance justifies her continued inclusion.

:4sheik: - So I say this as someone who LOVES Sheik. I played the **** out of her all the time in Melee with my friends growing up. But let's be real, she is simply not a relevant character. And like with Jigglypuff I honestly just don't think that her past inclusion justifies a continued presence. Just showing up isn't enough. Now ideally, for me anyway, she would simply get replaced by Impa and that would be that. We get an actually relevant character whose inclusion is justified, and people get to keep playing with Sheiks style/move set.

Also, so people can hate me even more, let's add Tingle to the game! =)

Aren't you glad I'm not in charge?
If only you didn't want to add Tingle...

MERPIS

Smash Lord
NNID
Catboog
:4bayonetta2: netta mains need to die out already
:4falcon: Wow you got me with a dash attack/grab, how freaking skilled are you!
:4peach:Man I love trying to fight you in the air when you can literally act immediately after every aerial you do! Seriously dair to nair is ****ing stupid
:4myfriends: Fundamentals character that requires no skill to play, much like falcons, ikes tend to think they're a cut above the rest
:4darkpit: nice side b you waste of a character

super sekret hidden characters
:4bowser::4dk: These two are the single worst designed characters in the game, who thought it was okay to give them free kills off of a grab at 80%? They require no skill to play and the results these two can bring new players with half a working brain is astounding,since tier lists don't really exist at weeklies or freindlies

spinalwolf

Smash Apprentice
:4bayonetta2: netta mains need to die out already
:4falcon: Wow you got me with a dash attack/grab, how freaking skilled are you!
:4peach:Man I love trying to fight you in the air when you can literally act immediately after every aerial you do! Seriously dair to nair is ****ing stupid
:4myfriends: Fundamentals character that requires no skill to play, much like falcons, ikes tend to think they're a cut above the rest
:4darkpit: nice side b you waste of a character

super sekret hidden characters
:4bowser::4dk: These two are the single worst designed characters in the game, who thought it was okay to give them free kills off of a grab at 80%? They require no skill to play and the results these two can bring new players with half a working brain is astounding,since tier lists don't really exist at weeklies or freindlies
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3KquFZYi6L0 (way late but I don't care)

Last edited:

Yosher

Smash Ace
NNID
Yosher
Easy.
:4corrin: Should never have gotten in.
:4tlink: Might as well get rid of the second Link when I prefer the regular and rarely to never play this guy.
:4feroy: I like Roy but still very similar to Marth who I prefer.
:4wiifit: Wii Fit Trainer's cool, but she's simply low priority I'm afraid.
:4rob: Similar to Wii Fit Trainer.

Would have cut :4jigglypuff: but I'm keeping her in, if only to keep the 'Original 12' a constant lock for future games, otherwise I'd start worrying about :4yoshi: getting the axe at some point considering he's probably lower priority than most others of the other members of that cast.

To be fair, THIS threat came first. :p But yeah, there's lots of similar threads going around but apparently that's okay because I never see the mods making a fuss about it.

FirestormNeos

Smash Lord
NNID
FirestormNeos
You may not cut Dr. Mario, Lucina, or Dark Pit. They were quick additions and would be too easy to pick.
>implying I'd cut Lucina
>implying I'd cut Dark Pit
>mfw

pfft, amateurs.

:4littlemac:: Another Down-B counter user with a ****ty One-Hit-Kill gimmick? I don't believe in character slots, and yet here I am, thinking to myself "Wow, what a ****ing waste of a character slot."
:4olimar:: The nerfs turned this character into boring, borderline unplayable trash. I'd feel bad for him, but he's a puppetmaster character, and those always suck (especially in smash).
:4charizard:: Yes, Charizard is iconic. Yes, I know there are many fans of Pokemon Trainer. No, I don't care. Get these Starters the **** out of my Smash before they start overtaking the Pokemon representation pool, like how Fire Emblem has been hijacked by the Sword Lord Protagonists. SPEAKING OF WHICH...
:4feroy:: A flavor-of-the-month low tier semiclone advertisement sold seperately as DLC. He had his chance in Melee. Scrap him and give us a Fire Emblem rep the fanbase actually gives a **** about. You know what? If they had just taken his moveset and given it to Chrom wholesale (as in no more Roy EVER, now it's Chrom's turn to be the awkward, lame, unwanted third wheel to Marth and Lucina's buddy cop shenanigans), I'd totally be digging Chrom in Ultimate.
:4greninja:: Gen 6 is one of my favorite pokemon generations. Which is why when I say "Gen 6 and Gen 7 both have no Pokemon worthy of repping them in Smash," you know I'm not screwing around. You want my advice? They should've put Zygarde in instead. Zygarde would've been perfect, as it'd be able to represent both Gen 6 and Gen 7.

Last edited:

Mariomaniac45213

The Nintendo Villain main!
Switch FC
SW 5604 9250 9133
:ultcloud: - He's OP and barely represents Nintendo at all. I can't stand seeing him on the select screen. Yeah FF7 is coming to Switch next year but he still feels like a playstation character to me. It would be like adding Kratos, Sackboy, or Nathan Drake to Smash. (Yes I feel the same way about Crash/Sora, sorry not sorry)

:ultsnake: - Basically what I said above applies to this character too.

:ultsimon: - People talk about characters like K.Rool, Roy, Young Link as "not relevant" yet this guy gets in and he somehow gets a pass. Well you're outta here and you don't have the privilege of being a 1st party character so you're out.

:ultryu: - Nothing against Ryu but you're a 3rd party so you're out!

:ultrichter: - Begone you don't belong in Smash, 3rd party Monster!

Honarable mentions since I'm limited to 5 are: :ultsonic::ultmegaman::ultpacman: (though these 3rd parties feel the least "offensive" to me)

Last edited:

Erimir

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3823-8583-9137
Because I can't cut Dr. Mario (a semi-clone who actively steals a badly needed move from their original, who originated an obscure spin-off game and should've stayed cut after Melee)
All this says to me is that you are probably young and never had an NES and probably never had an original Game Boy either. Those two sold over 10 million copies in the early 90s.

Dr. Mario is old, sure, but obscure? No.

TheTrueBrawler

Smash Demon
:ultmiifighters::ultpichu::ultpokemontrainer::ultlucina::ultchrom:

This game is too easy to be perfectly honest. And it was revived from the grave of dead threads today as well apparently.

Last edited:

FirestormNeos

Smash Lord
NNID
FirestormNeos
All this says to me is that you are probably young and never had an NES and probably never had an original Game Boy either. Those two sold over 10 million copies in the early 90s.

Dr. Mario is old, sure, but obscure? No.
*rolls eyes*

Not only would a simple "Dr. Mario is old, sure, but obscure? No." have sufficed, but it probably would've convinced me to edit that bit out of the comment, but instead you decided to make a complete *** of yourself by resorting to passive aggressiveness and personal attacks.

And this isn't even acknowledging the fact that my original post was barely related to the character to begin with, so I'm not even sure of what you were trying to accomplish here.

I award you no points, and may Sakurai have mercy on your newcomer hopeful.

Erimir

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3823-8583-9137
*rolls eyes*

Not only would a simple "Dr. Mario is old, sure, but obscure? No." have sufficed, but it probably would've convinced me to edit that bit out of the comment, but instead you decided to make a complete *** of yourself by resorting to passive aggressiveness and personal attacks.
Personal attacks?

Speculating that you're too young to have played Dr. Mario on NES isn't much of a personal attack. I mean, look at my join date. I'm older than most of the people on here... and plenty of them were born after Dr. Mario was released.
I award you no points, and may Sakurai have mercy on your newcomer hopeful.
Hmmm, my most wanted newcomers were :ultridley::ultkrool: and :ultsimon:. So... I'm good :grin:

FirestormNeos

Smash Lord
NNID
FirestormNeos
Personal attacks?

Speculating that you're too young to have played Dr. Mario on NES isn't much of a personal attack. I mean, look at my join date. I'm older than most of the people on here... and plenty of them were born after Dr. Mario was released.
If it's not supposed to be taken as a personal attack, then don't start it with something so reductive and patronizing as "All this says to me is that"

Hmmm, my most wanted newcomers were :ultridley::ultkrool: and :ultsimon:. So... I'm good
That was very clearly a jo-- you know what? forget it. It wasn't that funny, anyway.

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
A flavor-of-the-month low tier semiclone advertisement sold seperately as DLC. He had his chance in Melee. Scrap him and give us a Fire Emblem rep the fanbase actually gives a **** about. You know what? If they had just taken his moveset and given it to Chrom wholesale (as in no more Roy EVER, now it's Chrom's turn to be the awkward, lame, unwanted third wheel to Marth and Lucina's buddy cop shenanigans), I'd totally be digging Chrom in Ultimate.
How do you criticize a Fire Emblem character without being eaten alive? I need to know.

Also whoops I had no clue this thread came first.

And no one got my silly puns? I put my soul into those.

Last edited:

Squirtle/Mario guy

Smash Journeyman
:4corrin:: Uneeded, we'll know he was considered and should've been a consideration, Roy was borderline as he was popular, i never saw people want Corrin
:4jigglypuff:: Yes, ah the original- idc she's irrelevent and i might as well add Plusle and Minun in Smash, what was added as a clone of :4kirby: turned to ****
:4tlink:: Time for :ultyounglink: to shine, you hogged the spotlight too much
:4wiifit:: Do i need to clarify ?
:4charizard:: :ultpokemontrainer: NOW

Top Bottom