• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The "Cut 5 Characters" Game

TheWill44

Smash Apprentice
:4cloud:: Too easy to play, lack of support from Square Enix, overall chances are low. I wouldn’t miss him.
:4gaw:: He’s not iconic, he’s a WTF character who’s practically a Smash Bros. character.
:4rob:: A toy in smash brothers? Fidget Spinner for Smash!
:4ganondorf:: At least declone him. We want Ganon, a real beast.
:4corrin:: Lack of popularity, uses male skin before female. (#2 is a serious problem.)

Turtlar

Smash Apprentice
:4marth::4myfriends::4feroy::4robinm::4corrin:

Simple. We're swapping them out for Advance Wars and Golden Sun characters.

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
:4cloud2:- have a feeling he is a one game wonder. Could be wrong, but saying we had Cloud in Smash still rings true and I'd be ok with a one-off appearance.

:4corrinf:- nobody uses male Corrin. Always seemed like a weird character to add to smash as DLC. We never really knew who she was.

Then it gets a bit hard. I would have cut the three Mii Fighters as they have many flaws (can't use them online, for starters) and are faceless thus easy to remove.
:4feroy::4wiifit::4bowserjr: I suppose I'd miss the least.

Last edited:

Swaggy-G

Smash Apprentice
:4cloud:FF rep should have actually appeared on, you know, a Nintendo system. And no, Kingdom Hearts and some rhythm spin-off do not count.
:4feroy:Surprised at how many people want Corrin gone. They actually have a fun and somewhat unique playstyle, unlike this guy.
:4jigglypuff:Who even uses Jiggs anymore? Her moveset is archaic and not all that fun, and she gets by solely by being one of the original 12.
:4sonic:I just don’t like him, plain and simple. I don’t like playing as him, and playing against him.

I honestly don’t know what to put for last.

Last edited:

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
For me, it is...

Lucina
Dark Pit
Corrin
Ryu
Maybe Bayonetta.

Man, that was not easy to decide, even for me.

DBPirate

Smash Apprentice
:4jigglypuff:: Jigglypuff either needs to be changed or she needs to be removed. Personally, I'd go for the former since I don't like cutting long-time vets but in her current state, I don't think she's a necessity.

:4ryu::4cloud:: I never really cared for either of these characters. I can see their appeal but if I had to cut two characters, it'd be them.

:4feroy:: I feel like making Marth and Ike (and maybe Robin as well) the serious mainstays is a smart idea. Roy's the least unique FE character.

:4tlink:: Same as Jiggs. Either change him or remove him. My dream character would to have Young Link with all of his transformations replace him, but that'll never happen.

Murlough

Euphoria
NNID
Murl0ugh
3DS FC
4828-8253-7746
:4bayonetta:Hate her. Either Rework her a bit to make her less obnoxious to play against or remove her, preferably the latter tbh.
:4cloud2:Same as Bayonetta. Its sad because I was hyped for both of them but I want to rip my hair out every time I play against or see them in a tournament. Mini-rework/kit adjustment or don't bother coming back.
:4robinm:I wanted to like Robin but honestly I forget they are even there. I don't enjoy playing them and they are the least enjoyable FE character to watch. If you gotta go for my boy Roy to stay than you won't be missed kiddo, see ya.
:4wiifit:Loved her inclusion in Smash 4. Her reveal was so out there but sooo exciting. Sadly...shes garbage. Minor Rework/Hitbox adjustments/buffs or don't waste time and effort beinging her back Sakurai.
:4jigglypuff:I adore Jiggles but if Sakurai intends to leave her a mere joke then why even bring her back. Yes she's hard to balance but what they did to her in Smash 4 was just cruel.

PsychoJosh

Banned via Administration
Four Fire Emblem characters. Any four, doesn't matter to me, because they all suck.

The fifth one would be Shulk. I hate him too.

Kronus

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
1907-8046-6707
:4jigglypuff:: Not as popular anymore compared to the other Pokemon in the game. Meowth would have been a better choice than her back then. Should have updated her moves when she was retconned to a normal/fairy type.
:4lucas:: Too similar with Ness. Although I like playing with him more than Ness but Ness makes more sense to stay since he is the main and first protagonist of the series.
:4feroy:: Every FE character is unique for me except for him and Lucina which are clones of Marth and it feels natural to pick the original.
:4falco:: I like the character and design but moveset needs to be changed to differentiate him from Fox more. I am not a fan of shared final smash.
:4gaw:: Design wise, Mr. Game & Watch looks unique compared to the rest of the cast. However, he is too different for my taste.

G-Unit

Smash Cadet
Lizardon/Charizard (Put him back in the Pokeballs)
Mii Fighters (if Nintendo does SSB4 Plus for both Switch and PC, there has to be platform-exclusive guests.)
Dr.Mario (...unless he's an add-on)

Those are the only three I want removed, but if there were to be two more, I would pick:
Kamui/Corrin (Well, I'd rather have the lucky cat from DBZ, or the fairy from Growlanser V)
Cloud (Better to have Selphie as a FF rep, since a lot of people talk about Selphie when they lack the knowledge of Final Fantasy VIII or any related titles)

Last edited:

Luigi player

Smash Master
Oh, no clones.. then it's hard.

1. :4wiifit: I don't like their bland look and as a character just unneeded (imo, of course).
2. :4jigglypuff: She was just an easy clone, that's why she made it in in the first place. While Jiggs can be fun to play, the character itself is pretty unnecessary and is just taking up an important Pokemon slot (there are soooo many cool Pokemon choices, don't choose Jiggs as one of them).

Now it's getting really difficult...
3. :4feroy: I guess I'd go with him, even though I don't mind him at all. But he's a little too similar to Marth. Ike, Robin and Corrin I'd see as too unique to cut, but of course we know Smash can cut even original characters... Tbh I like Roy more than Robin and Corrin, but I chose him because he's too similar and the others just add more unique movesets.

4. :4rob: Well, I guess he was a somewhat obvious choice for me... I really hoped he wasn't the last / one of the last characters found in Brawl. I wanted so many others and I didn't even know ROB. I guess he got to be a staple now, but I don't really need him... somewhere during the wait for Smash4 I changed my mind and thought "it would be kinda sad for any character to be cut, even for ROB", but if I'm forced to cut characters, he'd still be one of my first choices.

5. :4bayonetta2: It got too difficult to decide, so I guess I'd just go with her. It's not like I like her as a character or really want her in Smash. And her design is going against almost everything Smash is. I know they could just fix her, and I do think she could easily come back, but if you force me to remove one, I'll just take the easy way out and choose her, so her moveset / design won't be a problem anymore. If not Bayonetta, I'd choose Ryu.

If you'd allow me to choose anyone, I'd go with these:
- obvious clones: :4darkpit::4drmario::4lucina: (can be kept as costumes)
- Miis (all forms): :4mii:
- Wii Fit Trainer: :4wiifit:
- maybe: :4jigglypuff: (like I said, pretty irrelevant, no matter how you look at it... for Smash they won't just include all existing characters. It's not like Squirtle alone would've been that much work to include, but they didn't include him in Smash4. Jiggs existing takes a Pokemon spot from others, so unless she was just an addition (not instead of anyone else, but purely because she already exists (moveset, etc)), I'd cut her. I'd rather have a new Pokemon or choose one who already existed as well over it, like Squirtle)
- maybe (1 of them, not all): :4feroy::4corrin::4robinm:, FE has too many reps imo. The franchise was about to die, and now it's as big as Pokemon, and 3 times as big as DK or others? I don't think so. I'd cut one to replace with a new one to rep newer games. 7 is just too much. I'd only accept it if DK gets at least 4, and other franchises get more new characters as well. I really don't understand the favorism for FE characters in Smash. I guess they wanted to help revive the series and then they put in Corrin as an ad for the new games. Roy was probably put in just because he already existed I guess? But then why over Wolf? It doesn't make sense.

KingBroly

Smash Lord
- Marth
- Roy (They've never released his game overseas)
- Lucas (Same here)
- Dark Pit
- Dr. Mario

G-Unit

Smash Cadet
- Marth
- Roy (They've never released his game overseas)
- Lucas (Same here)
- Dark Pit
- Dr. Mario
Well, Dr.Mario can be DLC, as he's been removed from the Brawl roster. I agree with Black Pit/Dark Pit getting removed, because I fear he's a palette swap. They can incorporate Dark Pit's moveset to EX Pit if EX character mode gets confirmed.

CryoGX

Smash Journeyman
NNID
CryoGX
:4cloud: - Not because I'm salty at him, but because to secure him a second time feels unlikely.
:4wiifit: - Labo is the left-field joke to make this time my dude
:4ryu: - His presence is legendary but idk if he's coming back
:4corrinf: - We must leverage the super fire emblem bros
:4shulk: - Swap for Rex/Pyra

Louie G.

Smash Hero
:4cloud: - I don't think Cloud belongs in Smash alongside the likes of Sonic, Mega Man, Pac-Man and Ryu. His inclusion trivializes what it takes to be a guest character, in my eyes, since his history with Nintendo is minimal. Yeah we had Snake but I would have preferred he's the one exception. Bayonetta I barely even consider third party anymore given her close ties to Nintendo, I would put her in the same boat but I think she's earned it.

:4corrin: :4corrinf: - They're expendable. I can't say I would miss them very much, despite their moveset being pretty rad. I'm not huge on Fire Emblem but aside from that I just see Corrin as "there". Neat DLC character, probably low priority next time around, it was either them or Robin and I think Awakening is a super important game to have represented so see ya Corrin.

:4sheik: :4zss: - The fact that these two are still in the game without Squirtle and Ivysaur, although understandable, highlights for me that they would have no chance of being here without transformations. They're extensions of characters who would have been in regardless, and their inclusion becomes sort of meaningless without being tied to them. Granted yes, I know they have unique movesets and that sets them apart from their source characters. Still I wouldn't particularly miss them and I don't think they're necessary. They'll definitely stick around, though.

:4feroy: - I didn't want to but it is what it is. I would cut Bayo but I think she's got a real valid reason to be there. Roy is popular and he's a lot of fun to play so I would miss him, but playstyle wise not much of particular value would be lost. Also I guess I'm pretty flexible regarding cutting Fire Emblem characters, I don't have as much contempt for the series as others though. I could see Roy being cut, I hope he isn't, but if he is I'll be kinda sad for a day and then move on without him.

Even though they're not part of the game you could take the clones too, I'm not attached. Depending on how much they change Mario though Dr. Mario might fill the niche of maintaining Mario's old moveset which could make him a valuable character to keep around.

This wasn't too hard to do honestly. (Also I know I'm not supposed to judge people's choices but cutting Game & Watch? That makes me sad)

Last edited:

ShadowKoopa

Smash Rookie
:4bayonetta: - She isn't much of all a gaming icon like the other 3rd party charcters
:4cloud:- Liscense issues with him
:4corrin:- There are so many FE characters and Fates isn't as important to the franchise like Awakening. Also Corrin isn't popular
:4lucas:- He was cut once I can see him be cut again
:4feroy:- Again too many FE characters and he was cut already

Gotta say this was real hard to make since I'm not really sure who could be cut this time around. I also don't want there to be cuts personally. Also lol I just realized I only cut DLC characters.

Last edited:

MERPIS

Smash Lord
NNID
Catboog
:4bayonetta: Absolute cancer of a character that shouldn't even be anywhere near this game
:4falcon: Used by tryhards or just people who think they're hot **** for using a flashy character
:4shulk: Weebs, that is all
:4myfriends: More weebs, also way too easy to play
:4bowser::4dk: (SMASH 4) Way too easy to pick up and play, all you need to do to play them is press your grab button, rage is stupid and death at 80% out of a GRAB is even stupider.

HONORABLE MENTIONS
:4littlemac: Way too polarized, only reason why he's here is because his ground game is way too good and his air game is complete garbage, needs a complete rework.

:4lucario: AURA OH MY GOD, Also not even that relevant of a pokemon any more
:4lucina:Diet Marth
:4sheik:Irrelevant
:4peach:Hope you love dair to fair upon landing, that's all they do
:4wario: (SMASH 4) Oh the potential was there, oh the potential was lost.

5 turned into 11 quite fast

Chron

Smash Journeyman
WHEW. This was harder than I expected!
:4wiifit:: I think Nintendo wants to distance themselves from the "Wii" title as much as possible on the Switch. :laugh:
:4shulk:: New Xenoblade game, but he's got a little bit of a chance for being unique.
:4duckhunt:: Possibly replaced with new retro character.
:4greninja:: Gen 7/8 Starter.
:4bayonetta:: Stupid. (If there is going to be a character who has a crazy huge aerial combo game by slicing through people, make it Spectre Knight.)

NO FE CUTS + LYN, CELICA, FJORM, AND FE16 CHARACTER.
:troll::troll::troll::troll::troll::troll::troll::troll::troll::troll::troll::troll::troll::troll::troll:

Last edited:

IvanQuote

Smash Ace
NNID
ivanquote
3DS FC
1693-3075-2999
For my list, I want to emphasize that what I’m counting as a cut character is one who does not return in playable form whatsoever. For example, if Sheik is merged back into Zelda or Link gets completely retooled for BotW, I’m not counting them as cut bc the characters are still playing, albeit in different forms or movesets:

:4cloud::4ryu:
The 3rd parties are the easiest targets, but these two are probably the first to go due to possible rights issues. Cloud moreso than Ryu, but I don’t really like Ryu much being in this game so that’s a bit of bias poking through.

:4lucario:
Pokémon is pretty bloated so one member might go. The reason I say Lucario is that the introduction of Rage makes his Aura slightly redundant. It’s a shame bc it would be getting rid of the only gen 4 rep, not to mention one of the most popular Pokémon. Ideally I’d prefer one of the gen 1 Pokémon getting cut since that holds such a large portion, but as mentioned above, redundancy.

:4feroy:
Similarly, Fire Emblem is kinda bloated. The reason I say Roy and not Corrin is that as divisive as that game is, it still has many, many fans and sold well as far as I know. I also know that this is slightly hypocritical of the point above, but Roy is also a semi clone, giving some slight redundancy.

:4wiifit:
This last one was tough. As much as a joke this character was, they have a unique and creative moveset to them. However, due to the randomness of the choice it would probably be a reason below other characters.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
:4cloud:: Square Enix is Square Enix. Not 100% sure though and personally I want him to stay.

:4corrin:: Advertisement character that caused a huge controversy over his/her inclusion. Can be cut to make room for an FE16 character.

:4wiifit:: The Wii brand is dead and the Fit Trainer isn't exactly a really popular character. Of course I could always be wrong.

:4bowserjr:: Could potentially be on the cutting block as he was low priority in Smash 4. Would also have less priority than a Mario newcomer like Captain Toad.

:4greninja: or :4jigglypuff:: This one is extremely iffy but I feel a PKMN is going to get cut to make room for another and these two I believe are most at risk. Puff has always been on the cutting block for every Smash game she's been in despite being in the original 12 so I can't count her out completely just yet. Greninja might get the axe for a Gen 8 PKMN or he might stay to complete the Grass/Fire/Water starter trio. I also feel Mewtwo won't get cut because he's been cut before.

SiO2

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Sprocket
Come to think of it, I think :4sheik: will be cut. However, that is not to say we won't have a character that is basically :4sheik: but under a new name outright (Ie: Impa)

RandomAce

Smash Champion
Oh boy, let’s see how well this goes.

:4jigglypuff:: I honestly don’t see a reason for to come back. Pikachu, Charizard, and Mewtwo represent Gen 1 perfectly, and seeing how the PKMN roster is going to include Gen 7 and 8 mons, I think she should leave.

:4bowserjr:: Never really cared much for him. I wouldn’t mind if he’s gone but he’s unlikely.

:4tlink:: Since they didn’t utilize a move set from his series, I won’t mind him either. Also the Zelda roster isn’t filed with Links, Zelda’s, and Captain Falcons Ganondorf, I think it’s time for a different character.

:4sheik:: I think she will be brought back into a transformation an not as a completely separate character, since Sakurai didn’t say that he wanted them to be separated, he just liked the aftermath of them being separate. Hopefully, they balance her and Zelda so they can actually compensate for their gimmick.

:4feroy:: This was a hard pick, but seeing how he wasn’t part of the base roster and is a semi clone of a series well known to get a lot of flack for TOO MUCH reps, he might leave. Hopefully our boy stays this time.

DNeon

Smash Lord
NNID
D_Neon_Lamp
:4corrin::4corrinf:
Pretty much just added for marketting, far from the most popular characters even from their own game

:4sheik::4diddy::4zss::4fox:

I have some bad memories

So lets shake up the meta :awesome:

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
:4charizard:- The only character I ACTIVELY want gone.

:4feroy:- FE is getting a bit ridiculous.

:4sheik:- Barely relevant anymore

:4cloud:- SE cold be dumb

:4lucas: He got cut once (Plz don't again )

D

Deleted member

Cuts:
:4feroy::4corrinf::4jigglypuff::4lucas::4darkpit:

Keep in mind that I actually want no one cut, I love every character from Smash 4. If I had to see five go, I would chose these five, however.

Quetzal77

Smash Journeyman
NNID
yomugo
3DS FC
1349-4940-0147
:4corrinf::4cloud::4sheik::4bayonetta::4greninja:

Corrin and Greninja get cut to make room for new reps from their series without oversaturating the roster, with Greninja possibly returning as DLC.

Cloud gets cut in favour of a more Nintendo related SE character.

Sheik gets cut and Impa inherits her moveset in part.

Bayonetta gets cut and possibly returns as DLC.

I would've preferred to cut some of the prohibited clones rather than Bayonetta...

Kevandre

Ivy WAS Saurly missed
NNID
Kevandre
3DS FC
1736-1095-5393
Switch FC
SW-2226-3590-9812
:4bayonetta::4bayonetta::4bayonetta::4bayonetta::4bayonetta:

...okay fine.

:4bayonetta::4cloud::4pacman::4tlink::4charizard:

I'll explain myself.

I don't have any particular reason why, but I really just dislike :4bayonetta:. I never liked the games, and I thought she was an incredibly disappointing end to the hype of the smash ballot. Though, getting :4corrinf: at the same time felt so good, especially since SHE at least is really fun to play.

:4cloud: seems so out of left field. I'd really rather have a Square rep that's actually been in real games on a Nintendo console, rather than the dude who starred in the first game after Square betrayed Nintendo, ya dig me? Black Mage, or someone from FF6 or FFTA or Geno or something.

:4pacman: is fine. I was against him getting in but I don't actively dislike him being in the game now, though when coming up with cuts he was an obvious choice to me. I know he's an icon, but I feel like that's the only reason he showed up at all

:4tlink: I'm not against a second Link- But give me variety. Give me a Masked Link that transforms between Deku/Zora/Goron, or something. Hell, even just make his own moveset more Windwaker based and I'd be happy. Big leaf or wind magic or something.

:4charizard: gimme the whole kit or give me none of em. Charizard a dirty traitor

Top Bottom