• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The "Cut 5 Characters" Game

Cyn

Sith Archivist
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
:4palutena: - Her character never really seemed to fit in. She's like the weird girl in class.
:4feroy: - Doesn't seem necessary with Ike and the others
:4wiifit::4wiifitm: - As I said previously......"ew"
:4pacman:- Unique, yes; belongs in smash? No.
:4charizard: - I would have rather had PT back or Squirtle. Though I guess they already had the water type covered. In that case they should have brought in Bulba/Ivy/Venu.

-crump-

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1590-4951-5915
Switch FC
SW-4366-1207-0908
1.) :4corrin:
Purely personal bias on my part. I really dislike Corrin and I think there are so many many better options for FE representation. This is the only character I actually want cut.

2.) :4sheik:
Shiek is old news. LoZ has so many great, unique characters that could fit into Smash, and yet we’re still stuck with two versions of Zelda herself. Toon Link gets a pass because Wind Waker deserves it’s own representation, imo

3.) :4jigglypuff:
I love Puff, but honestly she’s kind of irrelevant at this point. I don’t mind cute Pokémon reps, but I think a newer Pokémon like Mimikyu would be more fitting.

4.) :4lucas:
I’m sorry Lucas fans, but I feel that Ness is enough to carry the Mother series.

5.) :4zss:
I don’t really want to cut her, but one Samus is enough, imo. I would rather see a character who could Metroid and actually be a different character

<content redacted>

Last edited by a moderator:

MrRoidley

Smash Ace
:4cloud: My first choice. A Playstation poster boy that never belonged in Smash anyway. I don't even like his moveset. He's the only character I actively want to see cut, even if I'm not a fan of all characters in Smash
:4corrin::4corrinf: The trailer promised a good moveset and all, but they really failed to deliver, they're boring and clunky to play imo. Also, I think Robin already fits really well the "default custom protagonist" Fire Emblem archetype, so Corrin just felt redundant
:4charizard: I think Gen I is too overrepresented, and without Pokémon Trainer, he just doesn't feel much unique to me, unlike the other 3 from Gen I. I'd gladly have it back as part of Pokémon Trainer as whole coming back though! (even though I'd prefer Pokemon from Gens III, V and VII instead)
:4feroy: In between the two Marth clones, I'd rather pick Lucina and declone her. However Roy is the point where me cutting characters gets a bit iffy since I actually like him
:4lucas:I don't really want to cut him, but the game says "cut 5", so unfortunately it has to be him, since Ness already has a similar moveset (even if they're pretty different in execution) and all that

BONUS: and no, none of them were picked over:4drmario: or :4lucina:. I GUESS if clones counted :4darkpit: would get out too, but I'd rather see all 3 back and Luigified

The Goldenbrawler

Smash Ace
NNID
Frost3
3DS FC
3840-6562-5991
I could list my choices, but I already had a whole video on a similar topic. Instead of just stating exactly what I already stated in my video, I will put 5 characters I personally would choose if I had control of the roster and put a TL:DR note for each:
:4bowserjr:: Was one of the last characters finished, would be very low priority again.
:4corrin:/:4corrinf:: I wouldn't want to add Corrin back when there's several FE reps to choose from that are far more deserving. Fates did poorly, and this character was so poorly received.
:4feroy:: Roy is not my boy, in fact, I greatly dislike Roy, so please go away and don't come back another day.
:4wiifit:/:4wiifitm:: Good joke character for Smash 4, sure, but would I bring 'em back? Nah.
:4mii:: I don't care if this is against the rules, but I don't want Miis in my Smash. Custom moves failed, so in essence, Miis did as well.

This is why I'm not in charge though, as there's a reasoning behind the cuts in the first place. I narrowed past cuts down to 4 points in particular:
1. They're a clone/semi-clone of someone else. Ex. All Melee cuts (bar Mewtwo).
2. Their inclusion doesn't work with new mechanics for the new game. Ex. Pokemon Trainer and Ice Climbers.
3. They have license issues that prevent their return. Ex. Snake, because Konami/Kojima.
4. They don't have time for the character, or they just aren't high up in their priority list. Ex. Mewtwo lost out to Sonic.

Final thing to consider:
The 64 and Melee vets are safe, as well as most of the Brawl vets. If they made the cut to Smash 4 in the first place, I doubt they'd be cut, especially with Sakurai in charge.

OctolingRift

Smash Rookie
Switch FC
SW 6926-2598-6285
Let me go over my cuts in-depth
:4corrin: His game is already shadowed by Echoes: Shadows of Valentia
:4robinm:: Same reason as Corrin
:4lucario:: This furbait just isn't relevent anymore, better we replace him with incineroar
:4wiifit:: Next
:4bowserjr:: Same reason as Wolf

The Goldenbrawler

Smash Ace
NNID
Frost3
3DS FC
3840-6562-5991
Not gonna lie, I was kinda tempted on debating some of these . However, I won't, seeing as:
1. This is just us all sharing our personal choices and our opinions, which should be respected.
2. Nobody has done such with mine at this point.
3. It'd be rather petty in the long run and against the rules of the game in the first place.
Besides, it would seem my last post has been largely ignored for the most part, so there isn't much point to it, is there? XD

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
:4mario::4kirby::4link::4pikachu::4fox:

These five useless characters. No joke, bro get them out of my game. Smash doesn’t need hentai characters. U mad bro? Come fight me

Last edited:

?????????????

Smash Master
Not gonna lie, I was kinda tempted on debating some of these . However, I won't, seeing as:
1. This is just us all sharing our personal choices and our opinions, which should be respected.
2. Nobody has done such with mine at this point.
3. It'd be rather petty in the long run and against the rules of the game in the first place.
Besides, it would seem my last post has been largely ignored for the most part, so there isn't much point to it, is there? XD
Well, I DID put a "no arguing" rule in place for this game.

I mean...the whole thing is just supposed to be a fun challenge. I neither hope nor think most of these character should get cut.

The Goldenbrawler

Smash Ace
NNID
Frost3
3DS FC
3840-6562-5991
Well, I DID put a "no arguing" rule in place for this game.

I mean...the whole thing is just supposed to be a fun challenge. I neither hope nor think most of these character should get cut.
True, I was just stating that it was tempting. Regardless of that though, I agree with your sentiment on anybody being cut. Smash 4 had the best roster by far, so it's hard to even think of these cuts in the first place.

BlazingFireOmega

Smash Cadet
NNID
Jesse-BFO
3DS FC
1693-0474-5023
1.) :4lucina:: Not because she's a Marth clone, but because there's already a better FE: Awakening rep: :4robinm:.

2.) :4bowserjr:or :rosalina:: Both feel really unnecessary in my opinion. Both characters don't seem to have any relevance in their own series and just appear in spin-offs.

3.) :4ganondorf:: Why even have Ganondorf if he's not even gonna do "Ganondorf" things? Unless we get a better representation of the king of evil, I say cut him.

4.) :4shulk:: Seeing as how deep in development Smash Switch is in I doubt he'll be cut, but two games in the "Xenoblade" series have came out since Sm4sh. Maybe they're gonna draw more from those two games.

5.) Literally, ANY Gen 1 PokeMon (:4pikachu:, :4jigglypuff:, :4charizard:, :4mewtwo:) : 4/6 Pokemon reps are Gen 1. One or two reps is good enough. Just know Gen 3, 5 and 7 haven't had a rep yet.

HONORABLE MENTIONS:

:4feroy:, :4rob:, :4wiifit:, :4cloud:, :4link:
(In the events that BotW Link doesn't replace him.)

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
In seriousness,

:4greninja: For new Pokemon of the Month or Decidueye
:4drmario: To piss off Mariotheplumber and replace with Nurse Peach
:4lucina: Was on my list of wanted characters but then cloned
:4feroy: Never a big fan of Roy plus we got the best Roy, Roy Koopa
:4darkpit: More deserving reps

Didn’t read the OP. Ok then. Greninja and Roy stays. 3 more.

:4jigglypuff: To replace with a different Pokemon. Maybe Greninja after he’s axed.
:4cloud: Love Cloud to death but he’s like Snake to me. Cool character, shocking reveal, and keeps me going back to Snash 4. but let’s move on.
:4ryu: Didn’t want to put him here but he seems likely to go. Love Ryu but maybe axing him can get another Capcom character in. Like Dante or Phoenix Wright. That would be pretty cool.

Last edited:

MrGameguycolor

Smash Lord
NNID
MrGameguycolor
Switch FC
7681-9716-5789
1: :4wiifit: I like you, but you don't seem to have the support.
2: :4myfriends: Honestly compared to the rest of FE cast, I rarely see people talk about him. I was kind of surprised he even made it back in Sm4sh.
3: :4bowserjr:Rosa's here to stay. If any Mario character is going, it's you. (I know I know :4drmario: is getting cut before him blah blah blah)
4: :4rob: There hasn't been much talk of it as of recent times.
5: :4lucario: and/or :4greninja: Ever since Brawl, at least one Pokemon is getting the axe.

Geno Boost

Smash Master
:4cloud:: I would rather have Black Mage to represent FF series since he was around since the first game in the franchise which was on the NES and crossovered with Mario plus he is a magic user and he had a bigger history with Nintendo.
:4bayonetta:: she is one of the last SEGA character I could think of when I think of another SEGA rep in smash mainly because there are other SEGA franchises with bigger history than her and more successful maybe she isn't even the true number 1 character in the ballout.
:4tlink:: one link is enough there is a lot of better choices for Zelda newcomers than just adding another version of Link
:4corrin:: interesting moveset but please no fire emblem shouldn't have more reps than Zelda's reps
:4greninja:: ok listen I love Greninja and his design but that doesn't mean he should automatically come to smash he isn't that interesting in the Pokemon series and I hate how they gave him a new form but left out Delphox and Chesnaught in the garbage I feel Zygarde and Diancie or even AZ Floette are better reps for gen 6 because they had a better character development in the series and more interesting.

Depressed Gengar

Hana Is Best Girl
OK then. I guess I'll try to be as unbiased as possible with this.

1 AND 2: :4sheik:/ :4zss:
Mostly for the same reasons. Both felt pointless when they were separated from Zelda and Samus (ZZS especially suffers from this) and neither are relevant. Shiek was a one and done deal, and ZZS isn't exactly too important to Metroid either. Only had one noteworthy appearance back in Zero Mission IIRC.

3: :4feroy:
Even as an FE fan there's just too many characters in the roster, and since Lucina isn't an option, Roy has to be the one to go since he's the least unique of the FE cast as well as the least important thanks to FE6 never coming over to the West. Even if Lucina was an option though, I probably still would have axed Roy first.

4: :4lucas:
Similarly to FE6, this is mostly because of Mother 3 never leaving Japan. EarthBound is perfectly fine with just Ness anyways.

The last spot's weird. I'm honestly note sure if I should go with :4bayonetta: or :4palutena:. Bayo's not even that important to gaming, but Palutena suffers from a bad moveset, like, really bad. And YoshiAndToad is right on... pretty much everything about what they said about Palutena. About her fans claiming her moveset potential was incredible (and said fans were being pretty rabid about it too, especially when it wasn't on this site. Looking back, her rabbid fandom might've been what sparked my hatred for her, even if it isn't the only reason I dislike her) and ultimately being lackluster. With customs her moveset isn't that boring, but they still don't help too much, and most of her special moves don't even really belong to her anyways IIRC. I guess you can choose your poison here.

:094:

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
Well, the first thing I’d do is make those alts back into alts.

Beyond those three:

1. :4rob: It was always an odd choice. I get that it was important in Brawl’s SSE, but there are better representatives of the retro days (Duck Hunt, Ice Climbers) who were more interesting. ROB is...just a random robot. Meh. Nothing special, and I don’t feel for it.
  2. :4wiifit: WTF characters are fun for a while, and I was really interested when they were announced. Then...they were such generic fighters whose entire moveset revolved around “OMG get fit lol!” Really, their screen KO is a yoga pose? I get it, but Dark Pit has more character depth. They were nothing special in game as well.
  3. :4bayonetta: I still really don’t believe the ballot results, since no polls were mentioning her. Still, I consider her neither a Nintendo mainstay nor a gaming legend. I’m pretty hypocritical when it comes to third parties, so I usually would rather they stay out unless they have a really good reason to be in.
  4. :4cloud:See above. More game history for him, butt still not anything special.
  5. :4tlink:Give him a proper moveset and don’t steal all of Link’s specials, final smash, and even crowd chant in the last game. If Zelda is better represented by the adult timeline, drop this fake Link.

Josh (jla2001)

Smash Rookie
:4corrin: The reason Corrin was added in the first place was to promote Fates, and not only has the game been out and settled, it never sold as much as Awakening, so I feel like Corrin will get the cut.
:4greninja: While this game did well, I feel that Greninja will get the cut for a Gen 7 'Mon. (My hopes are on Decidueye, but I feel Incinaroar will make it)
:4feroy: Non-relevant Marth-clone.
:4wiifit: I feel that nobody wanted this, and Nintendo will catch on.
:4ryu:The fact that Capcom isn't listed in credits on supersmashbros.com seems to indicate he won't be there.

LordShade67

Smash Ace
NNID
LordShade67
3DS FC
2148-8642-9915
Well, since OP stated DP and Doc aren't allowed for this, this makes it more challenging. Hm...
:4wiifit:/:4wiifitm: Their novelty factor has long since worn off at this point, and the Wii/Wii U line they advertise is more or less dead
:4duckhunt: Much like Wii Fit Trainer, DH feels like a "once-and-done" character. Maybe if they release VS.Duck Hunt to Switch or something, but that's unlikely.
:4cloud:Of the 3rd parties, this is the character I'm the least confident in seeing come back. From the lack of content in Smash U, it was pretty clear Square Enix has some EXTREMELY strict guidelines on what they allowed in Smash 4. Plus, the longer the FFVIII remake takes to finish, the more his chances decrease.
:4robinm:/:4robinf:The only reason these two I feel are in danger is because Awakening isn't as new anymore and Lucina's more popular anyways. But we'll see.
:4greninja: If any Pokemon's in danger of being cut, it's sadly Greninja. And that's probably to make way for a Gen VII rep.

sleepy_Nex

Smash Journeyman
So that chars i personally want to see being cut and luckily probably will get cut.
:4cloud:/:4cloud2: Yeah both so that he is cut two times.
:4ryu:

The other three are chars that i don't really mind but probably will get cut:
:4wiifit::4wiifitm:
:4bowserjr:
:4littlemac:

There are more chars but we only can pick 5

Last edited:

WiFi

Smash Journeyman
Hmmmm...
:4lucario:: He's getting kind of old, but he does have a unique mechanic. Still, he was the Gen 4 rep for Brawl. That's old.
:4zss:: I really liked Zero Suit Samus as her own character, but since the Switch has the power to handle transformations, she might merge with Samus again.
:4sheik:: Same reason as above.
:4lucas:: Semi-Clone who barely made it back as DLC. Mother 3 is unlikely to release in the US so Lucas's relevance has gone way down.
:4corrin:: Sad, but true. Corrin was only meant to be a promotion for FE Fates. His only saving grace is his unique moveset. (Or the removal of :4lucina:/:4myfriends:).

Xtreme Dragon

Smash Cadet
:4shulk::4robinm::4corrin::4wiifit::4greninja:

- Shulk would probably be replaced by rex or pyra/mythra
- Robin might be replaced by another FE tactician
- Corrin would be replaced by a character from FE switch
- Wii fit trainer because they are now irrelevant without much of a following
- Greninja probably won't get cut, but I had to pick 5. Greninja could be replaced by a gen 8 pokemon

1. Roy - With a glut of FE characters, an easy pick
2. Lucas - Feel that a semi clone can be better utilised in a more active and relevant series.
3. Ganondorf - No Falcondorf thanks, give me a proper Ganondorf
4. Corrin - Simple matter of pruning FE characters
5. Lucario - To fill that fifth spot

Last edited:

Fire Emblemier

The Crests are to Blame
Switch FC
SW-2862-0450-4332
:4mario::4link::4samus::4pikachu::4fox:
DOWN WITH THE MAINSTAY SMASH LEADERSHIP
In all seriousness, one of my least favorite discussion topics when it comes to smash speculation is cuts, so joke post it is.

TheSpitefulWolf

Smash Journeyman
could cut a lot more than just five. assuming the clones are getting purged alongside them:

:4bayonetta:: balance nightmare and mechanically beyond anyone else except ryu, kinda obliviates the whole system
:4cloud:: it's obvious squeenix didn't want him in anyway
:4corrin:: go away please, you're a dragon-thing with zero charisma
:4greninja:: flavor-of-the-month
:4lucas:: mother doesn't need two reps
:4ryu:: like bayo, introducing attack motions needlessly complicates the game

so gimme them scissors

Last edited:

Almand

Smash Journeyman
In order of least to most likely of being left out:

:4wiifit:: I don't expect her to leave (The only "joke" character that was removed is Pichu, though she was a clone. G&W, Duck Hunt, R.O.B., etc., stayed, probably because they were so unique), but there's always the chance. There's no Wii Fit rep on Switch yet, so who knows.
:4bayonetta:: Could be fan hate, could be her less family-friendly themes, could be Sakurai throwing a dart at the roster.
:4palutena:: Not very popular in Smash 4 (the biggest Palutena hype came from Prince Ramen, really), and despite being unique and fun in her own way, that alone doesn't keep you in Smash.
:4pacman:: I love him, and I main him, but he's just not mentioned at all (aside from conversations of low-tiers or "Who has the worst grab?") Plus, he's a third-party character, and if Namco isn't working on Smash 5, his days might be numbered. I wish with all my heart he'll stay, but you never know.
:4corrin:: Now that Fates' hype has come and gone, there's not as much of a need for him, similar to Roy being left out of Brawl.

Al-kīmiyā'

Smash the State
Only being allowed five makes it more difficult. I would cut some that you barred as well.

1. :4bayonetta2:I want smash to have a light-hearted tone, and Bayonetta is too sexual, at least in her source material, for that. I actively want her out, even if the game had 100 characters.
  2. :4rob:I hate his design. I don't want Johnny 5 in smash.
  3. :4pacman:Basically tied with R.O.B. for hated design. I don't think it meshes with smash's aesthetic.
  4. :4jigglypuff:Rest is stupid. I basically always root against HBox.
  5. :4lucario:I hate his design.
1-3 I would leave out even with 100 characters, along with Jigglypuff if she keeps rest.

Top Bottom