• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Complete Mario Matchup Thread

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
*facepalm*

I forgot to mention where I'd take Bowser on their thread...I was thinking Lylat, that good with you guys?

DtJ XeroXen

The biggest fraud
NNID
XeroXen
My friend plays a pretty good Bowser, and he's the only other good player in this town (we started competitive Brawl together).

Well, it's tough to get INSIDE Bowser's range, when he using his jab, dtilt, ftilt, and so on. Honestly, Koopa hopping doesn't bother me much, and I have no problem taking care of a bowser on BF.

We can OoS SJP his Fair, to let it be known.

His OoS Up-B is just as good as ours if not better, you have to predict and punish, so you ALWAYS need to play smart against Bowser's shield, or don't approach at all.

Yeah, grab release stuff is wack man, I'll have Ducky get on their boards to discuss their matchup, just because of blah, and he has all the same opinions on it as me, and I don't feel like going to their boards to post due to internet issues.

EDIT: And yeah, Lylat is fine against Bowser, BF works well for me too, as well.

:mad:

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
It would've been nice if you had posted this on their thread, dude. :p

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
We need to hold these discussions on their boards...we always get more opposition that way.

"Falco wins in the air"

"No he doesn't" "No way, we've got too many optionz" "Lrn2plai nub"

"....'Kay"

DtJ XeroXen

The biggest fraud
NNID
XeroXen
That would take effort -_-'

If somebody wants to quote it, I'm okay with that. I'm REALLY tired right now. And as I said, I'm calling my friend Ducky soon, who mains Bowser, and telling him to get in on the discussion, even though he never posts on the Bowser boards.

EDIT: Not to mention, I'm still disoriented from slamming my head against my ceiling, really hard. (On accident, of course)

KirinBlaze

Smash Lord
NNID
KirinBlaze
Xero. Does your Bowser friend know how to do these flawlessly on Battlefield?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fk55lEfeOrU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G2vltpvHKgc

Playing a Bowser who can do this makes Battlefield a VERY bad place to fight against him. Liquid_Gen does these extremely well and I play him on a daily basis. Battlefield is not a place I want to take Bowser to anymore.

Matador, I'd probably take Bowser to a place like Pokemon Stadium 1. The obstacles each stage change bring can really hinder Bowser's main method of approach, Koopa Hopping, and the small ceiling and blast zones make it easier to KO him. In short, the stage changes make it easier for us to pressure Bowser since he can't always be hopping around here.

DtJ XeroXen

The biggest fraud
NNID
XeroXen
Yes, he does.

I don't get on the platforms in that matchup, that'd just be dumb, LOL.

I tend to stay on the ground, where I can pummel them with Uairs with almost no way of him punishing me.

And yes, he does do the Koopa Hops (Side-B Cancel) into aerials, QUITE often (all the time)

EDIT: Now that I think about it, I don't get on the battlefield platforms much at all. Unless I'm fireball camping from there or something.

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
Matador, I'd probably take Bowser to a place like Pokemon Stadium 1. The obstacles each stage change bring can really hinder Bowser's main method of approach, Koopa Hopping, and the small ceiling and blast zones make it easier to KO him. In short, the stage changes make it easier for us to pressure Bowser since he can't always be hopping around here.
Smaaaaart, I'll mention that if you already haven't. I should try taking Gen there next time I play him.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Obviously, don't play against Bowser on BF. The platforms are dangerous to be on vs him, and they HELP him avoid juggles more than they set him up. They also help his recovery a ton. Approaching Bowser when he's under one is a pain.

Mario on the other hand pretty much breezes through the matchup on FD. Bowser is one of the more predictable characters in this game, and can't really effectively mix it up against Mario's camping. The lack of platforms helps you keep him in a disadvantaged position once you get in a hit, and his recovery is much easier to gimp or punish with kill moves when he doesn't have a platform to mix up where he goes.

This matchup...the advantage shifts a lot depending on the stage. It's overall probably even because of that. I think it's slightly in Mario's favor personally.

Famous

Smash Champion
If your on the platforms you have to be quick about using your moves...You should be isai dropping through the platforms to cut lag from your air moves...This works on all of Mario's airs except Fair...

Bowsers also tend to UpB OoS alot too...I hate that so now I tend to SH Nair after shield pressuring them for awhile

Smash G 0 D

Leave Luck to Heaven
BRoomer
Keep in mind -

Pokemon Stadium with low ceiling works for Bowser too.

UpB, Utilt, Uair, Usmash, DownB, Dsmash. All kill Mario upwards

-.-

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
Alright forgive me, I know this wouldn't be the place but you don't have any other thread related, so I have to put it here.

Keep in mind this is not a matchup discussion, but rather a tier-placement comparison. Yes I know, Mario should be higher/lower/stay in the same place/should be in Xth place (your opinion is your own), however could any of you tell us how Mario compares to Sonic? I acknowledge these kind of things are really maddening to talk about, but if the false SBR is going to do this silly thing, they might as well get it right, and it would be nice if we could make it so that this next tier list could better reflect the metagame of the characters and how they are similar/different/better/worse than the characters around them.

In this case and at this ponit in time which character is better... or how about how they both should share a spot... maybe...?

Here's the discussion if any of you are interested:

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=226950

Thank you for your time.

KirinBlaze

Smash Lord
NNID
KirinBlaze
Smaaaaart, I'll mention that if you already haven't. I should try taking Gen there next time I play him.
They have some crazy CG stuff on walls there that I remember Gen telling me about. Something about a GC to Ftilt spike or something, just watch out for that. Now that I think of it RC might be a good place to take him. He may be pretty speedy in the air but the constant moving around might mess with his Koopa Hop timing.

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
Total Posts: 4,986
Posts Per Day: 35.94

Kinzer compared to me? I'm obviously the better spammer poster.

Also, I would really hate to take part in that discussion. It's hard to go on your turf and say "Oh, hey. Mario's better. Oh, you don't agree? Alright then. Good day."

1/4 of it is just mindless flaming because neither side can agree.

BoTastic!

Smash Master
NNID
BoScotty
Total Posts: 4,986
Posts Per Day: 35.94

Kinzer compared to me? I'm obviously the better spammer poster.

Also, I would really hate to take part in that discussion. It's hard to go on your turf and say "Oh, hey. Mario's better. Oh, you don't agree? Alright then. Good day."

1/4 of it is just mindless flaming because neither side can agree.
I 100% agree.

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
The title "How is Sonic better then:" pretty much screams "We want to discuss how you lose to us."
Which is a synonym for any MK related matchup discussion.

Inferno3044

Smash Master
Whats the final matchup ratio for Mario vs. Falco? I think 50:50 because Falco has some ******** stuff but some of the really important ******** stuff (lasers and CG) Mario can beat. Plus Mario can gimp him easily. Could it lean 55:45 Mario?

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
Actually, I'm leaning toward '50:50, arguable for 55:45 Falco.'
It's not really an advantage for us, even on wi-fi, and 55:45 offline.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Nah.

Falco beats us slightly for sure.

I mean, the difference is it is SIGNIFICANTLY harder for Mario to catch up when he's behind in this matchup than it is the other way around.

When Falco gets a KO, this is his chance to take the lead with another CG to stuff. While Mario can combo Falco back, it's significantly harder for Mario to do as it requires a level of prediction.

On the other hand, Falco does have difficulty catching up when you manage to take the lead since his KO power is also poor, but he's better at taking back control when given the opportunity.

I do agree this matchup is winnable however.

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
Alright, 55:45 sounds about right.
Onto Wario, then Kirby.

Inferno3044

Smash Master
I meant lean to 55:45 Falco,but i still think its even. When it comes to Wario, I don't know much. All I know about him is to fart on people, bite them, and pop wheelies.

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
Yeah, I put it as 55:45. Wario's my very best secondary, so I know a good deal about him. I'm gonna go ahead and say 60:40 Wario. His aerial maneuverability combined with wicked multi-hit attacks like Dair and Nair make him extremely good. Wario's Waft is stronger when it's not fully charged, there's a fairly small window of time where he can use it and kill earlier than a fully charged one, so if he's not glowing, don't think he's not gonna waft. Wario's near ungimpable, but it's still possible. Try to Nair him off the Bike and FLUDD right after. Even if you cape him, his aerial speed can still allow him to make it to the ledge, so hog as fast as possible. If he feel like being an ***, go ahead and pull some grab release shenanigans. Overall, it's not the worst matchup, but it's extremely tough.

hippiedude92

Smash Hero
Usually I go Luigi cuz I dont tolerate his bull****ting godly recovery lol.

Never fought a good Wario (by definition of good wario, i mean like the ones that hit and run by jumping around lol). My input is that, be smart when gimping him.

MorphedChaos

Smash Lord
Just to let you know, Wario CAN play very gay vs Mario and just aircamp him the whole match after getting a % lead, so be wary of that little fact. Also, don't think your ever going to gimp Wario, MK can't gimp Wario, so I doubt Mario can.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Mario has three things Metaknight doesn't though. A Cape, a water gun, and a spike. Not that he'll land them all the time, but when he does, they will do a better job of outright gimping you.

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
Bite is SOOOOOO annoying. He can completely wreck your momentum with it, and kills our defensive game.

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
Mario has three things Metaknight doesn't though. A Cape, a water gun, and a spike. Not that he'll land them all the time, but when he does, they will do a better job of outright gimping you.
You're a couple of weeks late, we're discussing :warioc:.

Famous

Smash Champion
Nah.

Falco beats us slightly for sure.

I mean, the difference is it is SIGNIFICANTLY harder for Mario to catch up when he's behind in this matchup than it is the other way around.

When Falco gets a KO, this is his chance to take the lead with another CG to stuff. While Mario can combo Falco back, it's significantly harder for Mario to do as it requires a level of prediction.

On the other hand, Falco does have difficulty catching up when you manage to take the lead since his KO power is also poor, but he's better at taking back control when given the opportunity.

I do agree this matchup is winnable however.
What? Falco is easy...Without the chaingrab, Fox would be a more worse matchup tbh

...Wario is hard dealing with if there are over top of you...Same with Peach

Chis

Finally a legend
NNID
ArcadianPirate
The title "How is Sonic better then:" pretty much screams "We want to discuss how you lose to us."
Which is a synonym for any MK related matchup discussion.
No actually. It's for the Sonic mains always complaining in the tier list thread, saying that Sonic is too low, but never said why, so yeah.

vato_break

Smash Master
eh the sonic discussion is a very biased thread but, it's ok they probably all play wifi and don't enter tourneys xD i'll admit sonic is pretty hard to hit on wifi lol

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
I seriously think they'd respect us more if you keep your mouth shut. :laugh:
Onto Wario discussion, please.

Inferno3044

Smash Master
i agree that the discussion is very biased so i gotta side with vato on this. The name "How Sonic is better than *insert name here*" is not going to give you guys any respect but just have people think you guys are just full of yourself. If it was a matchup discussion that would be different.

As I said before, I know nothing about Wario. He is a comic relief character to me, but I know he is good.

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
Be that as it may, we're incredibly biased too. I don't think we should put the Sonics down just for creating a thread based entirely on opinion. All we can do is accept the invitation and give all the positives about Mario, then they'll pass judgment on whether or not they think Sonic beats us. It really doesn't affect us in the least, Mario's still SS tier in my mind. And that's all that matters, it's a unique idea for a thread, and they aren't exactly full of themselves. The stuck-up character board would be Marth, and they're stuck up for good reason. I mean... they only have 3 bad matchups.

Top Bottom