• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Complete Mario Matchup Thread

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
Right, but he has secondaries. Plus, I've been to like... 3 tournaments, and the first one I was horrid, and the other two I have pool johns (At my second one, I got put in the pool with the extra person, otherwise I woulda gone to brackets -_-') Anywho, secondaries make the equation kind've not equal. (Since I don't have any :'( )

I really wanna play Bo, and have like a $5 MM on live stream sometime, and get some rad commentators be like "YOU MUST RECOVER!" and stuff. We'd hype that match up.

It'd be the best $5 I'd ever win/lose.
lol, no jones.

Secondaries are legit, especially in his region with Lain and NoJ around. Not to mention the fact that his Mario is still insane compared to his seconds. Going all Mario in tourney is crazy anyways.

....Unless your name is Matador

Edit: I'm fine with that Daisho. Seldom do we ever have a unanimous decision even after debating. Either way it goes, it's a close matchup.

DtJ XeroXen

The biggest fraud
NNID
XeroXen
No jones? LOL

I'm just saying that when a person has secondaries and you look at their tournament record, of course it's going to be different than a person who doesn't have one, but play the same character. Which is why we can't base skill on results like that.

Call me crazy, because I will always go all Mario, unless some kind've infinate grab that every character can do against him pops up somehow.

I still haven't played Lain, but I have a feeling when I do I will just kind've be like "...Well, ****."

EDIT: Is it weird to be able to beat people who place around 12th or so, and not make it out of pools ever? Because I'm starting to feel that they all sandbag on me and call my Mario good for lulz. D:

Inferno3044

Smash Master
DK discussion is over. I still think its 55-45 DK along with others and bunch of people think its 55 45 mario. Just make it even and maybe mention debated advantage for both sides.
I agree by going with 50:50. Thank you DK boards for your input. I greatly appreciated it (also it might help me cuz Bum has gone to some monthlies in Jersey City) Also, I think that sometimes people want to put it in their advantage while being reasonable.

Well I guess it's time to move on. I can't think of a character that I would need help with that wasn't already discussed, so I'm just gonna blurt a couple of characters and see if you guys like any of them:

Kirby
Pit
Toon Link
ROB
Falco

I don't have a preference, but maybe some of these characters will get something good coming

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
Falco. We've already done ROB and Kirby to death. I'm thinking TL is 60:40 our disadvantage. That Zair is ****.

:mad:

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
I thought the same thing, but then I realized Mario has no advantageous matchups.

Excluding Ness and Falcon. ;)

Also, we decided on Wario some time ago.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
I thought the same thing, but then I realized Mario has no advantageous matchups.

Excluding Ness and Falcon. ;)

Also, we decided on Wario some time ago.
My opinion:

Mario has the advantage vs everyone who is currently lower than him on the tier list. This includes Sonic, Samus, Yoshi, Ganondorf, Captain Falcon, Link, Ness, Lucas, Pokemon Trainer, Jigglypuff....

AND

He definitely also beats Ike and Fox, who are characters that SHOULD be lower on the list.

Peach, Kirby, Sheik, Zelda, Wolf, Pit, and Bowser are the debatable matchups that could go either way (especially after you factor in stages). There is probably another odd matchup or two that I don't remember right now where I think Mario goes even (besides DK who we discussed)...probably Luigi haha.

Inferno3044

Smash Master
When have we done ROB and Kirby and what are the matchups.

Also, I think Mario some a couple more advantages than that, even though he goes even with over half of the cast. Maybe I'll change my mind when we go into it, but I think Mario might have the advantage against some characters in D or E tier.

So is Wario or Falco next?

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
Right, but he has secondaries. Plus, I've been to like... 3 tournaments, and the first one I was horrid, and the other two I have pool johns (At my second one, I got put in the pool with the extra person, otherwise I woulda gone to brackets -_-') Anywho, secondaries make the equation kind've not equal. (Since I don't have any :'( )
That's not good reasoning... At all...

(Still, while you do have a good Mario, I'm pretty sure Bo will tear you a new one, if only because of lack of experience.)

Anyway... you guys have done the Kirby matchup at least twice on the Kirby boards. I also remember talking about ROB quite a bit before.

I'd say Falco would be a good person to go with next (I hate Wario...).

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
My opinion:

Mario has the advantage vs everyone who is currently lower than him on the tier list. This includes Sonic, Samus, Yoshi, Ganondorf, Captain Falcon, Link, Ness, Lucas, Pokemon Trainer, Jigglypuff....

AND

He definitely also beats Ike and Fox, who are characters that SHOULD be lower on the list.

Peach, Kirby, Sheik, Zelda, Wolf, Pit, and Bowser are the debatable matchups that could go either way (especially after you factor in stages). There is probably another odd matchup or two that I don't remember right now where I think Mario goes even (besides DK who we discussed)...probably Luigi haha.
/agree

Pit, Zelda and Peach, yeah. Shiek, Kirby, Bowser and Wolf maybe. I also think he has an advantage vs ROB if only slight, a good matchup vs Pika, and an even with Diddy. ZSS, Luigi, Olimar, ICs and Lucario are all slight to moderate disadvantage.

Then you have Marth, MK, G&W, D3, Snake, TL, and a few others that could require counterpicks. Oddly enough, a good Lucas can also be a problem.

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
I'd think a good Sonic could be a problem as well, but it could just be that I don't know how to fight Sonics.

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
Might as well discuss ROB, so long as Bo provides his Robert input. :psycho:
Better yet, Famous. His real name is Rob.

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
I tried to main him too. But... I realized I hated him.
Rob discussion starts now!

KirinBlaze

Smash Lord
NNID
KirinBlaze
I'd think a good Sonic could be a problem as well, but it could just be that I don't know how to fight Sonics.
I've played a few good Sonic's in tournament, Cyberman65 and ShadowLink84 this past weekend. I beat them both in Low Tier 2-0 and beat Cyber in tournament 2-1.

Sonic isn't very hard to deal with. Fireballs and Nair's pretty much destroy him. You just have to camp and force him to approach then combo/chain him to oblivion. I really don't think Sonic is a problem for Mario. It's just extremely boring.

hippiedude92

Smash Hero
DK discussion is over. I still think its 55-45 DK along with others and bunch of people think its 55 45 mario. Just make it even and maybe mention debated advantage for both sides.

About our Up B, it really is a lot different than MKs nado.

Im not saying ours is better (his has many different factors and his is an overall better move) but though we both spin around I really wouldn't compare both moves.

About Bum... clearly he is the best person who plays DK in NY, he competes against the best and wins consistently, I just think he has less skill with DK and more skill overall... as in if he and some other DK main both switched to another character and learned for the same time, bum would still win since hes a better player, but other people are better at playing with DK... and please, guy who plays bum, just tell him about the Up B brake.

Lol @ guy who plays Bum but w/e. Bum is clearly a better player.. considering he said "he isnt pity-ing" Snakeee, when he rather plays as Fox against Shiek than using DK and still went like even with Snakeee lmao.." But I'll get the matchup sooner or later.. I just really suck against DK...

As for rob.. combo-ing is your best friend here.

just sayin

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
Why not discuss ROB?
Might as well discuss ROB, so long as Bo provides his Robert input. :psycho:
Better yet, Famous. His real name is Rob.
Nooooo, we've already done him like twice on both our boards and theirs. We haven't even really done Falco.

Sonic vs Mario is slight adv Mario. Fireballs, Ftilt and SHNair are your saving grace. If a good Sonic has the momentum, you WILL get wrecked. He has so many mixups and speed mingames (lolambiguity) that he can have you literally stumbling over yourself trying to find out what he's doing. Those 3 moves help put the control back in your hands.

He's also easily top 5 hardest for Mario to gimp. 55:45 was the decision for both sides IIRC.

KirinBlaze

Smash Lord
NNID
KirinBlaze
You don't gimp Sonic. Ever. I never have and never will attempt to. I hate the match-up because it's so boring. I have to camp Fireballs and SHNairs while forcing him to approach so I can combo/punish him. It's just very boring to me. :\

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
I just hate Sonic players that run away. If you've ever fought Boku on AiB, he does that from time to time. It's the most annoying thing the in the world.

The only matchup I truly hate is Mario vs ZSS. They all run. Like...the entire match they run.

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
... :mad:
God, Matador. We went from Wario to ROB to Falco. That ain't Falco.
I'll find the picture, I guess. Go ahead and talk about how Falco ***** us.

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
... :mad:
God, Matador. We went from Wario to ROB to Falco. That ain't Falco.
I'll find the picture, I guess. Go ahead and talk about how Falco ***** us.
Sorry dude...I only meant to...T_T

I think Falco vs Mario is even.

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
Why do we tend to think of everything as even or slightly advantageous? :laugh:
It could be, but we need some Falcos in here.

KirinBlaze

Smash Lord
NNID
KirinBlaze
I just hate Sonic players that run away. If you've ever fought Boku on AiB, he does that from time to time. It's the most annoying thing the in the world.

The only matchup I truly hate is Mario vs ZSS. They all run. Like...the entire match they run.
I played Boku. I quit the match and left after the first minute. I shouldn't have to torture myself like that on WiFi.

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
Cuz everyone's scared to go up to the fringe on either side. No one will say D3 vs any of the 5 infinit-able is 90-10 for any of them because when someone like Boss, Xyro, Bum, Vex, or...Boss again (rofl) beats a good D3, then it throws everything off.

The range is basically even to 30-70/70-30. Anywhere further is overkill unless call for by like an infinite or something.

...Except for Fludd vs Ness of course. There's like no hope for him at all.

Edit @ Kirin: Yeah, he doesn't ALWAYS play like that...only when he feels threatened. He's overall rather decent. Offline....lol half of what he does wouldn't work.

Matt07

Smash Master
I posted this at the Falco boards.

Let's hope we have a few users come to our boards and discuss the match-up with us.
Unlike the Game and Watch boards, I posted and we only had one person show up (Thanks for showing up though :)):ohwell:.

pure_awesome

Smash Lord
Your cape scares me and my crappy, linear, predictable recovery. Seriously, don't even bother with FLUDD in this match, you don't need it. Just focus on the cape.

That being said, Falco has the advantage up close and in the air and can force an approach through smart use of lasers -> reflector.

I'd say 60:40 Falco. It's not too bad, Mario can string some solid hits together on Falco if he can get a hit in, and once he's offstage it shouldn't be too much of a problem. But Falco wins pretty much every battle that's onstage.

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
Your cape scares me and my crappy, linear, predictable recovery. Seriously, don't even bother with FLUDD in this match, you don't need it. Just focus on the cape.
Rofl, it begins XD

I'm a spectator in this one, I've only fought a handful of good Falcos. I WILL say that it's pretty hard to time cape without Fludd to slow you down and give us extra time. It's actually VERY necessary since going out to cape you can easily result in an early stock loss from your sideB spike.

DtJ XeroXen

The biggest fraud
NNID
XeroXen
I'm not even going to comment, I don't feel like getting involved with matchup discussions anymore.

Mainly because I'm horribly inexperienced and bad. But I'm working on the second one.

EDIT: And because I'm tired of arguing with people who stay with the idea "My character beats yours in [insert area]" When lots of times, they don't.

pure_awesome

Smash Lord
Dude, M2K glide attacks Ozz out of Phantasm when they play.

If MK can land something ridiculous like glide attack, you guys can work a little cape magic.

Mario_ 101

Smash Ace
hmm falco... he's easy to juggle (with the exception of his d air)
gets gimped too easily (FLUDD, cape, f air, n air when he's down below charging firebird will outprioitize his attack and make him fall down and die from his high fall speed X[D>)
falco has trouble killing sometimes

of course he has the st00pid chainthrow
has lazerz which gimp us
reflector limits fireballs and approaching in general
just ******** stuff in general like slide attack->insta up smash and who knows what else

idk i think this might be very slightly in falco's favor ¯\(o_o)/¯

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
It's 55:45 Falco, if not 60:40.
A good deal of Falco's laser game is eliminated, so they can't consistently camp each other. Falco has some pretty useful tilts, but Mario's Uptilt is something to fear in this matchup. While being chaingrabbed, just mash 'A' for a Nair and hope for player error so you can break out. You can avoid his Dair by just SJP'ing, not sure if they trade or SJP wins, but it's the best you can hope for. Falco will rarely gimp Mario, so long as he recovers from low and avoids the bair. The best way to play this matchup is to play it close and don't let Falco space, just put the pressure on him and play fast.

Falco prefers the air, but Mario beats him in it. 55:45 in my humble opinion, but it's debatable for 60:40.

Top Bottom