• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The competitive problem

Col. Stauffenberg

Smash Lord
It bothers me that I don't know if I actually had more fun playing competitively or if I simply thought getting better = more fun without actually thinking about it.
Stop assuming everyone else is in the same boat as you. Looking through this thread, it seems like everyone else here knows pretty well when they're having fun.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Do you see the unhealthy psychological condition in this quote?
No, not really. But if you really do see it as an unhealthy psychological condition, I'd be happy to not recognize you and close this thread because I don't acknowledge its creator.

I'm not sure if this was referencing what I said about FFA and items, but to be clear: FFA w/ items is much deeper than 1v1 no items when it comes to Brawl.

Reasons:

1. multiple item-based ATs
2. incredible necesity of mind-games to both avoid being singled out and to cause opponents to kill eachother when trying to kill you
3. Many more viable options and elements of gameplay
4. Effectively destroys camping by giving the non-campers a high probability of getting good items
Perhaps you find some sort of depth in the mechanics of the game based on items, but the rest of what you claim is rather silly when applied competitively. Your fourth point is also completely false, as all players have an (initially) equal probability of acquiring an item.

Item-based ATs and using "necessary mindgames" to avoid engagement... when you're playing a game just for fun, you're applying all this depth to true pointlessness. Not only are you actually less in control of the game than you ever would be in a one-on-one situation, but it doesn't really even matter because there is no true objective - win or lose, you were going in to just play, right? So there's really no point in attempting to find depth in such a style of play.

J4pu

Smash Champion
after reading 2.5 pages of this I've come to the conclusion you just aren't a very competitive person
like Sakurai
, nothing wrong with that, but realize that not everybody is the same as you.
Why do 'we' like it?
[personally] I find competition more enjoyable than messing around fun. Unless I'm just completely tired of doing something (or I have a reason to "sandbag") I do everything possible in a competitive manner with the objective of winning/doing the best.

basically you don't like it b/c of competitive aspect
most people on smashboards like it because of/with the competitive aspect

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer
I realise the bias in the post I'm making but when I read your post, Halloween, this is an equivalent question that comes to mind:

"Why bother joining any highschool sports club and going to regular practice sessions if you're not going to make it your life long career? The goal is to have fun right? So why not just play with friends?"

It's because people enjoy playing competitively. The thorough satisfaction one gets when they successfully read an opponent, land a combo, or implement that new tech successfully.

It's watching the kind of heart pounding, exhilarating play seen in high levels of smash that keeps me on the edge of my seat. Watching players like Mew2King and NinjaLink play out a Brawl set, or right back to when Bombsoldier and Ken first faced each other in a tournament final.

It's the people, the community, the forming of new ideas which makes me feel as though I'm playing a part in something massive and great. I have fun, I enjoy it. Lots of people enjoy being competitive, pushing each other, driving each other to higher and higher levels of play. Regional pride, like supporting your state sports team for any sport, and knowing that being a part of it is as simple as grabbing a controller amazes me.

Crew Battles, upset victories, forum drama, meeting new people and sharing in a common interest, that is, a video game whose players I regarded as my childhood heroes. To be able to call out "G-REEEEEEEG" and have everyone in the room realize that I just tech chase read someone perfectly with Falcon in Melee, to feel pride in watching my favorite players dominate, to think that soon I will be amongst them all at Genesis.

I can't get nearly enough of it and nothing will ever change that.

Red Arremer

Smash Legend
I will read all pages but the first one and a half and answer more properly when I'm back, but my post won't look much different, most likely.

Shortly said:
Why should people who enjoy playing competetively, and have fun doing so not do it? I highly enjoy playing competetively. More than casually. Does that mean I'm not normal for enjoying something you don't enjoy? Egoist.

Bluebottel

Smash Cadet
And its perfectly fine in sports but not in smash? Are you high? Winning is a very basic need for a huuuge part of the population. To be good at something. To be better than everyone else. To get recognition among peers.
Study some basic pshycology and find out for yourself.
Do you see the unhealthy psychological condition in this quote?
In short, no. Competing is a prefectly natural instinct in all forms of life.
Be it the right to breed, food to eat or simply do display dominance. Please explain whats so unhealthy about it.

Falconv1.0

Smash Master
The fact that you just claimed a guy had an unhealthy psychological condition over a completely true statement is basically screaming MODS CLOSE THIIIISSSSSSSS PLZZZZZZZZ.

Oh, and it also makes me want to ***** slap you. You are making some really ****ing bold claims towards a diverse and fun loving community, and it's getting real close to trolling. You cant just get on and tell us what is and isn't fun. We're doing what we love to do, you can join us, or you can choose to suck at the game and love it. But for the love of God dont tell us your way is the better way.

The Halloween Captain

Smash Master
And its perfectly fine in sports but not in smash? Are you high? Winning is a very basic need for a huuuge part of the population. To be good at something. To be better than everyone else. To get recognition among peers.
Study some basic pshycology and find out for yourself.
I'm obviously going to have to explain what the problem with this is.

Winning is not a basic need. Those who feel a need to win, those who need to be good at something, they equate their worth with being better at something than someone else. This poster seems to need to be the best so that he gains recognition by his peers. Which brings up the problem of equating one's worth to how one's peers view him. A person's worth and confidence, if truely healthy, should be independent of his peer's opinions, as one's peers will not always give him recognition, in fact, they will on more than one occation neglect to give any recognition of a job well done.

Both of these, the need to be the best and the need for recognition by your peers, are crutches maintaining a weak psyche. Especially since it will never be possible to be the best unless you were to go to extremes often too great for everyone else, and even that is no guarentee. The need for recognition and the need to be good at something are personal weaknesses, and they will both cause pain, as there will always be times when neither will be available. That is why it's best to do away with the need for them.

Be happy when you win and take all the recognition you can, but never, ever rely on either.

SkylerOcon

Tiny Dancer
You're not our psychologist. And if you were, you'd be a terrible psychologist.

Every human in the world likes to win. I challenge you to try and find me one person that will honestly say 'I do not like to win'. You also make the mistake of saying that the Smash community NEEDS to win in order to be happy.

How wrong can you get?

If the smash community needed to win, then the only people going to major tournaments would be people like M2K... the people who nearly always place. Yet, we just got a tourney like WHOBO two weekends ago full of people traveling that knew that they would have no chance against people like M2K.

The point is that, you have no idea what you're talking about and you're just a casual player upset at competitive players for... well, for what? How is there a problem in the smash community? It seems perfectly fine and dandy to me.

The Halloween Captain

Smash Master
You're not our psychologist. And if you were, you'd be a terrible psychologist.

Every human in the world likes to win. I challenge you to try and find me one person that will honestly say 'I do not like to win'. You also make the mistake of saying that the Smash community NEEDS to win in order to be happy.

How wrong can you get?

If the smash community needed to win, then the only people going to major tournaments would be people like M2K... the people who nearly always place. Yet, we just got a tourney like WHOBO two weekends ago full of people traveling that knew that they would have no chance against people like M2K.

The point is that, you have no idea what you're talking about and you're just a casual player upset at competitive players for... well, for what? How is there a problem in the smash community? It seems perfectly fine and dandy to me.
I never accuse the smash community of needing to win to be happy. I accuse the poster who wrote that people need to win of having a need to win.

I actually met the man who wrote the book on The Fear of Success. Published in 1978, it was the first book ever created on the subject. To bad I never got a chance to read it though.

The Sauce Boss

Smash Ace
Winning is not a basic need. Those who feel a need to win, those who need to be good at something, they equate their worth with being better at something than someone else. This poster seems to need to be the best so that he gains recognition by his peers. Which brings up the problem of equating one's worth to how one's peers view him. A person's worth and confidence, if truely healthy, should be independent of his peer's opinions, as one's peers will not always give him recognition, in fact, they will on more than one occation neglect to give any recognition of a job well done.
Wanting to win =/= wanting peer approval.

Winning gives you a sense of personal accomplishment. The enjoyment does not come from bragging to your friends about winning and getting their approval.

Both of these, the need to be the best and the need for recognition by your peers, are crutches maintaining a weak psyche. Especially since it will never be possible to be the best unless you were to go to extremes often too great for everyone else, and even that is no guarentee. The need for recognition and the need to be good at something are personal weaknesses, and they will both cause pain, as there will always be times when neither will be available. That is why it's best to do away with the need for them.

Be happy when you win and take all the recognition you can, but never, ever rely on either.
The need to be good at something is a personal weakness?! Do away with it because it might cause pain? That is like saying "Don't ever try anything so you never fail!" The need to be good at something is HEALTHY. Look up Maslow and self-actualization.

Tee-man

Smash Rookie
People who wana compete, will compete, and people who dont, just eont, I guess

The Halloween Captain

Smash Master
Wanting to win =/= wanting peer approval.

Winning gives you a sense of personal accomplishment. The enjoyment does not come from bragging to your friends about winning and getting their approval.

The need to be good at something is a personal weakness?! Do away with it because it might cause pain? That is like saying "Don't ever try anything so you never fail!" The need to be good at something is HEALTHY. Look up Maslow and self-actualization.
There is a huge difference between wanting to be good at something and needing to be good at something. To want to be good at something for the sake of improving yourself is healthy, and it makes you a better person. The need to be good at something is a crutch for your own feelings of inadequacy, a crutch that will inevitably fail you as you age. The same is true for needing to win to feel accomplished. How does winning a game make you a better person and human being? How do you deserve to feel good about yourself for proving yourself when the only stakes are victory or defeat within the game itself and maybe a couple bucks? Don't let illusion get between you and reality.

EDIT: At below poster: I just did. A quick overview tells me that his thinking was actually the guiding logic behind this thread in the first place (namely introspection), but I haven't read the specifics yet.

Going into a smash bros. website and trying to start a dialogue about the problems with having a competitive smash scene is like going into a biker bar and trying to start a conversation about the problems with having a fixation on harley davidson's, isn't it?

Everyone seems to need to delute reality in some form or another. Whether it's video games, T.V., beer, books, or movies, or even the past or the future, no one seems to be able to fully live in this world all the time. For me, my medicine has been videogames, but I had to give those up for lack of interest, and ended up retreating into my own imagination and logic cycles for sanctuary. It made me think. A lot.

Melomaniacal

Smash Champion
How does winning a game make you a better person and human being? How do you deserve to feel good about yourself for proving yourself when the only stakes are victory or defeat within the game itself and maybe a couple bucks?
Okay, you're right. I should spend my life doing the following:

1. Eat
2. Sleep
3. Work

Why should I do anything else? I don't need to. My life can be complete with just those things. I'm a perfect person with just these 3 things, apparently.
Basically, what you're saying doesn't make sense. Why compete in ANYTHING? Why do people play chess or baseball competitively? "The only stakes are victory or defeat within the game itself and maybe a couple of bucks." So, are these things better and more sensible because the money factor is higher? That's the only difference I'm seeing right now. If that's the case, have fun letting money run your life and philosophies.

But what do I know, I play Brawl competitively. Me and my idea of fun are obviously wrong, and no logic can prove otherwise.

Look up Maslow and self-actualization.
I would just like to emphasize this.

Oh, there is no "competitive problem." You just have a problem with competition.

Everyone seems to need to delute reality in some form or another. Whether it's video games, T.V., beer, books, or movies, or even the past or the future, no one seems to be able to fully live in this world all the time. For me, my medicine has been videogames, but I had to give those up for lack of interest, and ended up retreating into my own imagination and logic cycles for sanctuary. It made me think. A lot.
Okay, what is reality? Is reality ONLY things that don't include movies, books, beer, TV, or video games? Now you're sounding like you think that we're all WASTING our lives because we have hobbies or recreational activities. We're not slaves to Smash Bros. We have our own lives that you are completely ignorant of. Don't be so self-righteous. It's fairly easy to have your own "imagination and logic cycles" and still play video games, watch movies, read books, drink beer, or watch TV. You're going WAY too deep into it. Smash is a game for fun. I can play Smash for fun and still have my own "sanctuary," and it doesn't have to be Smash, or video games AT ALL. Competition is a choice, and I chose it because I enjoy it, and I think it's fun. Is competition and Smash my sanctuary? No. Is it an escape from reality? No. Is it my "medicine"? No. It's a hobby and an activity that I enjoy being a part of.

I think a lot too, but I also play Smash competitively. Is that somehow not possible? Everything you're saying applies to yourself. Not everyone is like you. Don't act all self-righteous and say "my way is best, I'm truly living, you're not." No.

flyinfilipino

Smash Master
There is a huge difference between wanting to be good at something and needing to be good at something. To want to be good at something for the sake of improving yourself is healthy, and it makes you a better person. The need to be good at something is a crutch for your own feelings of inadequacy, a crutch that will inevitably fail you as you age. The same is true for needing to win to feel accomplished. How does winning a game make you a better person and human being? How do you deserve to feel good about yourself for proving yourself when the only stakes are victory or defeat within the game itself and maybe a couple bucks? Don't let illusion get between you and reality.
Why are you accusing people of thinking they're better human beings than others just for winning a game?

Was there something wrong with this guy Maslow too? (See: level right under the top)

The Halloween Captain

Smash Master
Okay, what is reality? Is reality ONLY things that don't include movies, books, beer, TV, or video games? Now you're sounding like you think that we're all WASTING our lives because we have hobbies or recreational activities. We're not slaves to Smash Bros. We have our own lives that you are completely ignorant of. Don't be so self-righteous. It's fairly easy to have your own "imagination and logic cycles" and still play video games, watch movies, read books, drink beer, or watch TV. You're going WAY too deep into it. Smash is a game for fun. I can play Smash for fun and still have my own "sanctuary," and it doesn't have to be Smash, or video games AT ALL. Competition is a choice, and I chose it because I enjoy it, and I think it's fun. Is competition and Smash my sanctuary? No. Is it an escape from reality? No. Is it my "medicine"? No. It's a hobby and an activity that I enjoy being a part of.

I think a lot too, but I also play Smash competitively. Is that somehow not possible? Everything you're saying applies to yourself. Not everyone is like you. Don't act all self-righteous and say "my way is best, I'm truly living, you're not." No.
Are you kidding? I would never ask other people to act like me. I do think I'm right in that I think that a sense of self-value should not be based on the opinions of others or on personal ability. But I have a load of personality traits that I think I'm the worse for. Everyone needs to escape reality sometimes, which is why they entertain themselves. I challenge you to find someone who doesn't use a least one form of escapism regularly. I personally think that a person who escapes the need for escapism has far more potential than one who does not, but the personal costs of doing so would be astronomical.

You know, pokemon isn't a half bad metaphore for escapism. It's a game where the balance of power is determined by dog fights because game-world humanity has imposed it's own logic on game-world logic. Pokemon battles are almost a type of recreational escapism from the realities of a world where quite frequently the power to destroy everything is held by the criminally insane, or the dominant political powers are the crime sindicates. Quite the contrary to games where the game-world characters are unnaturally rooted in game-world reality, like Mario and Halo.

EDIT:
Why are you accusing people of thinking they're better human beings than others just for winning a game?

Was there something wrong with this guy Maslow too? (See: level right under the top)
I think we misunderstood eachother. I'm sorry if I am imprecise with my wording. Achievement is good, but to be honest, to need to achieve something to have self-esteem, while probably helps things get accomplished, is something that I disagree with. I know why one would need achievement to have self esteem, and I know why achievement should help your self esteem. It's because I've yet to achieved much of anything that in retrospect I view to have true value that causes me to not view it as impotant though, and why should I have? I'm still young, and as I age and have a family, then achievement will be open to me.

Mind you, I don't view any of my personal accomplishments to have value. Who cares that I'm an excellent student with amazing grade? who care that I have a ton of hobbies in which I am skilled? They don't really amount to much.

Respect by others, though, strikes me as an odd thing to need. It's nice and it helps, but who needs it?

LordoftheMorning

Smash Champion
But competitive smash IS more fun.

Playing competitively in brawl has held my attention for far longer than the old SSBs did when I was still merely a casual player. By taking advantage of the depth the game has to offer, I can become so much better than I ever was of maybe could have been before. THAT excites me. I get a rush from knowing I haz teh skillz. Maybe you're just not a competitive person.

The light-hearted nature, as you say, still exists. That is totally dependent on attitude, which depends on the players, not the level of competition.

Nitrix

Smash Ace
The need to be good at something is a crutch for your own feelings of inadequacy, a crutch that will inevitably fail you as you age. The same is true for needing to win to feel accomplished. How does winning a game make you a better person and human being?

Competition can teach you lessons, and you can still gain lessons from winning a game. Playing Smash has helped me learn how to act under pressure. In short, competition has lead me to gain a deeper understanding of myself and this has helped me become a better human being.

Tyr_03

Smash Champion
What's funny is that this guy is getting on a competitive smash site and telling us we could be better people by stopping learning this game and going off to meditate or "experience life" or some ****. What's even funnier is that a lot of good players are actually taking time to respond to this kind of scrubby nonsense.

This is probably the dumbest thread I've seen on smashboards for a long time. Not only is it insulting to those of us who do value competition, but it's utterly pointless and will have no effect other than making it very clear to the rest of us that The Halloween Captain doesn't have a **** clue what he's talking about and is kind of a douchebag.

Seriously, I doubt any of us were looking for a self help book while looking through smashboards today. Playing smash has introduced me to a ****load of really cool people outside of my normal comfort zone. I think that's god**** well worth something. I don't know what on earth the problem with competition could possibly be other than a personal problem that you have that none of us really care to hear about. If you can't find good competition, maybe you should drive to a tournament with some good players. You're not the best. You probably suck. Get over yourself. You're lying to yourself if you seriously think that you don't want respect from other people atleast at a subconscious level. The very fact that you're posting online for other people to read your opinions shows this. Don't give me bull**** about how I shouldn't want and strive for respect from people.

I personally couldn't possibly care less whether you quit playing competitive smash or not. But if it means you'll stop posting on here then by all means, please do. You're an arrogant prick and I never want to have the misfortune of stumbling across a thread like this again.

If you have fun playing smash competitively, go for it. If you don't, you don't have to. If you choose the latter, it's likely that no one on this site really cares about your opinion.

I'll probably get an infraction for this post but somebody needed to say it.

PS: No one gives a **** about your grades or other hobbies.

Bluebottel

Smash Cadet
Mind you, I don't view any of my personal accomplishments to have value. Who cares that I'm an excellent student with amazing grade? who care that I have a ton of hobbies in which I am skilled? They don't really amount to much.

Respect by others, though, strikes me as an odd thing to need. It's nice and it helps, but who needs it?
Seems to me that you have always had those things. Try asking a person who hasnt.
You dont realize how much they are worth unless you lose or gain it.
Sounds like you have things boxed in and tagged pretty neatly. Give it some time and it might get more fuzzy when the grayzones gets larger.

J4pu

Smash Champion
I actually met the man who wrote the book on The Fear of Success. Published in 1978, it was the first book ever created on the subject. To bad I never got a chance to read it though.
way to prove the point of people saying you lack the knowledge necessary to make statements based on the general psychology of people.
meeting a 'famous' person does not accomplish anything (at least not in the context you were attempting to use it)

Crizthakidd

Smash Champion
this thread is mad dumb. if ur not having fun playing with the rules a group of people made, start ur own thing with ur own rules and get ur friends to play. if u want to share it with people on the internet u may not get hte response u wont so just gtfo?

you cant tell someone how to spend their time and stuff and many peopel have diff motovations to play. just get better

The Halloween Captain

Smash Master
Perhaps you find some sort of depth in the mechanics of the game based on items, but the rest of what you claim is rather silly when applied competitively. Your fourth point is also completely false, as all players have an (initially) equal probability of acquiring an item.

Item-based ATs and using "necessary mindgames" to avoid engagement... when you're playing a game just for fun, you're applying all this depth to true pointlessness. Not only are you actually less in control of the game than you ever would be in a one-on-one situation, but it doesn't really even matter because there is no true objective - win or lose, you were going in to just play, right? So there's really no point in attempting to find depth in such a style of play.
Actually, the probability associated with getting an item is determined entirely upon the players position on the map, and to an extent the speed of the characters choosen. In 1v1 items on, for example, the player closest to the middle of the map will have the advantage, because he is between his opponent and any items that fall opposite of his opponent, while his opponent will only have access to the items that fall between the two as well as items that fall opposite to both of them. For example,
The line is the stage and the x's are characters.

_____X_________X__

Note that the player on the left is closer to the middle than the player on the right. The player on the left has free access to all items that fall on his left, and the player on the right has free access to all items that fall on his right. All itmes that fall in the middle are contestable. This mean, because the player on the left has a larger "free item" range, he will have the advantage over the player on the right, assuming only minor speed differences apply.

I understand the motivation for removing random elements from competitive smash, but I could never enjoy how much more shallow the game became because of it. Likewise, removing FFA removed the psychological elements of pitting opponents against eachother, even if it were for obvious reasons. And the elements that made the game deeper, complex AT's such as Falco's jump laser that can hit a ducking jigglypuff, and marth's wave-dash chain-grab, always were quite annoying not because there is anything wrong with having those techniques in a game but because there is something wrong with making those techniques prohibitively difficult to pull off for lower level players.

I am actually a highly competitive person by nature. I initially became highly competitive prior to knowing about the competitive community (and thus, at the local level without knowledge of AT's), and thus, did it in a shunned format of Free-for-all with items. I did it this way because it was more fun for me to be competitive in this format; it required a highly comprehensive understanding of multiple elements and opponent tacitcs simultaneously, rather than a strong focus on a single player, which I tend to find dull. Even in melee.

I wonder why there is so much need to feel "in control." Where's the fun in that?
And if we want to get very technical, there's not as much skill in that either; it takes more skill (and quite a bit of subtlety) to control 3 opponents with randomly spawning weapons than one opponent with a moveset that's known in advanced.

Of course, the things that i wan't introduced with often surprise me with their usage, for example, Street Fighter's controls surprised me after having played SSB, and PC FPS controls surprised me after having played Metroid Prime 3.

mobilisq

Smash Ace
When playing FFA back in melee, all I did was run away and spam Pk Thunder. I basically never lost, and no one would come after me since they were guaranteed to get last if they tried. I can see how FFA is fun among some crowds, but if even one player (in my case, me) even tries to win, it just falls apart. Playing a game in which one player can decide they want to always win and make it no fun for everyone else just seems like a bad idea.
forgive me for quoting something from page two, but there is a solution to this example:

FFAs with other people that want to win

then theyre fun again

WastingPenguins

Smash Ace
I wonder why there is so much need to feel "in control." Where's the fun in that? And if we want to get very technical, there's not as much skill in that either; it takes more skill (and quite a bit of subtlety) to control 3 opponents with randomly spawning weapons than one opponent with a moveset that's known in advanced.
I've always found these kinds of arguments pretty ridiculous. In the end, nobody turns items off because playing without them takes more skill. People turn off items because they prefer to play that way, period. They find it more agreeable, for an infinite number of possible reasons.

Would it take more skill to play basketball in rollerskates while the crowd throws shoes at you? Hell yes it would. But that doesn't mean anybody wants to play that way.

Anyway, it seems to me that throughout most of this thread you've been arguing against straw men. I'm guessing that most people here, even the most competitive, don't *need* to win. They just want to win, maybe very badly. If anyone here absolutely needs to win in order to avoid utter self-loathing, then sure! That's not healthy at all. But most people here probably aren't like that. Most people here *want* to win-- and if they don't, they may be angry or disappointed, but they will for the most part continue on with their lives.

Smash Master
Would you rather roll a dice (item FFA) or determine your outcome through something you can control (no items 1 v 1)?

I find putting my knowledge and skill into practice more enjoyable than rolling a dice.

Ever play War? How about Hearts or Spades? Which did you find more fun, and why?

(Are you sakurai?)

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Actually, the probability associated with getting an item is determined entirely upon the players position on the map, and to an extent the speed of the characters choosen. In 1v1 items on, for example, the player closest to the middle of the map will have the advantage, because he is between his opponent and any items that fall opposite of his opponent, while his opponent will only have access to the items that fall between the two as well as items that fall opposite to both of them. For example,
The line is the stage and the x's are characters.

_____X_________X__

Note that the player on the left is closer to the middle than the player on the right. The player on the left has free access to all items that fall on his left, and the player on the right has free access to all items that fall on his right. All itmes that fall in the middle are contestable. This mean, because the player on the left has a larger "free item" range, he will have the advantage over the player on the right, assuming only minor speed differences apply.
Incorrect. I see that you did your homework on basic probability and then forgot to actually look into the mechanics behind item spawns in Brawl.

I understand the motivation for removing random elements from competitive smash, but I could never enjoy how much more shallow the game became because of it. Likewise, removing FFA removed the psychological elements of pitting opponents against eachother, even if it were for obvious reasons. And the elements that made the game deeper, complex AT's such as Falco's jump laser that can hit a ducking jigglypuff, and marth's wave-dash chain-grab, always were quite annoying not because there is anything wrong with having those techniques in a game but because there is something wrong with making those techniques prohibitively difficult to pull off for lower level players.
Incorrect. Removing random elements makes things less shallow because it places more emphasis on player input than on arbitrary game decisions. In addition, if there is no learning curve then there really would be no reason to compete - everyone's got the same chances of winning, so the game's too **** shallow to get any competition out of it.

I am actually a highly competitive person by nature. I initially became highly competitive prior to knowing about the competitive community (and thus, at the local level without knowledge of AT's), and thus, did it in a shunned format of Free-for-all with items. I did it this way because it was more fun for me to be competitive in this format; it required a highly comprehensive understanding of multiple elements and opponent tacitcs simultaneously, rather than a strong focus on a single player, which I tend to find dull. Even in melee.
Being competitive in Free For All involves minimizing conflict involving yourself. Given that for each opponent there are two players who are not yourself, this is significantly easier than minimizing conflict in one-on-one. If you want a "highly comprehensive understanding of multiple elements and " blah blah blah, try doubles.

I wonder why there is so much need to feel "in control." Where's the fun in that?
And if we want to get very technical, there's not as much skill in that either; it takes more skill (and quite a bit of subtlety) to control 3 opponents with randomly spawning weapons than one opponent with a moveset that's known in advanced.
The more "in control" you are of reactions to your actions, the more logic you can apply to your decisions. Are you saying chess would be more fun if at any point in the game, you had no idea if moving any piece any number of spaces would result in automatic checkmate for either you or your opponent?

And incorrect. Putting skill into something you inherently cannot control is being stupid. Simply apply your skill to something more conducive to winning in the situation, like not being a target.

yummynbeefy

Smash Champion
Well I think its more about who you ask.
It's not like you have to stick to one of them anyway.

But imo:
Two pro MKs playing = not fun
Two pros using any other characters = fun
Random people playing with items = HELLZ YES!!! =/
fixed
well i love tourneys in smash but the guy does have a point
the main reason that being competitive is better is because of all the cool people you meet while doing it

XienZo

Smash Lord
Incorrect. Removing random elements makes things less shallow because it places more emphasis on player input than on arbitrary game decisions. In addition, if there is no learning curve then there really would be no reason to compete - everyone's got the same chances of winning, so the game's too **** shallow to get any competition out of it.
I know items makes the game more shallow by increasing the "random" aspect, but did anyone ever bother to look at how much they give the game depth by increasing the "possible actions" and see which of the two is greater?

The Halloween Captain

Smash Master
Incorrect. I see that you did your homework on basic probability and then forgot to actually look into the mechanics behind item spawns in Brawl.

Being competitive in Free For All involves minimizing conflict involving yourself. Given that for each opponent there are two players who are not yourself, this is significantly easier than minimizing conflict in one-on-one. If you want a "highly comprehensive understanding of multiple elements and " blah blah blah, try doubles.

The more "in control" you are of reactions to your actions, the more logic you can apply to your decisions. Are you saying chess would be more fun if at any point in the game, you had no idea if moving any piece any number of spaces would result in automatic checkmate for either you or your opponent?

And incorrect. Putting skill into something you inherently cannot control is being stupid. Simply apply your skill to something more conducive to winning in the situation, like not being a target.
I may not know a thing about item spawns in Brawl, but tell me,

___________A___B_

Who's going to have an advantage with items on, player A or player B?

If there is no learning curve, it means the game is accessible. Any additional learning must come from being more intelligent than the other player. It would be lunacy to deliberately make a game uninviting to new players by deliberately making practical actions, such as l-canceling, more difficult than they have to be, so as to increase the learning curve. I mean, why would someone do that? All it does it cater to core fans who are already good at the game, while inevitably shrinking the audience of people who would actually want to play it.

Putting skill into something you inherently cannot control is life. It's making gambles, and seeing if they pay off. It adds to the thrill, and adds to the complexity by making things significantly less bianary, and more about whether an action will most likely be a good idea or will probably punish you, instead of having such knowledge safely in advance such that you never need to leave your comfort zone nor take a risk. It requires an insane amount of logic when things are uncertain, as all thing in life do.

To be honest, one of the things I love about free-for-all is that it is a bit about minimizing conflict and a bit about hitting multiple opponents at once. I absolutely love how important free for all makes the philosophy of "don't get hit," and the complexities that entails.

Sorry, no Sakurai here. Although I found out where he's coming from.

http://malstrom.50webs.com/disruptionchronicles.htm

@ below, I have to say war, mostly because I've never played hearts. (I do love chess though)

About putting skill into the uncontrollable - How much do you know about poker?

Smash Master
Respond to my post please. Hearts or war?

Putting skill into something you can't control is one of the dumbest things I've ever viewed on any forum. War doesn't have skill. It never will.

Just 'cause I'm not sure you'll understand, I mean the card game.

XienZo

Smash Lord
Respond to my post please. Hearts or war?

Putting skill into something you can't control is one of the dumbest things I've ever viewed on any forum. War doesn't have skill. It never will.

Just 'cause I'm not sure you'll understand, I mean the card game.
So therefore, if ANY 2 people played War 1000 times, the result would always be 500-500 plus or minus the mathematical deviation?

Red Arremer

Smash Legend
I would like Halloween Captain to answer my question:
Why do you think only YOUR way is the correct way to play Smash? Why do you think only YOUR way is the only "normal" way to play a game? Why do you think only you are correct and only your way is the right way of living?

ATT: Let's all become Halloween Captains!

The Halloween Captain

Smash Master
I would like Halloween Captain to answer my question:
Why do you think only YOUR way is the correct way to play Smash? Why do you think only YOUR way is the only "normal" way to play a game? Why do you think only you are correct and only your way is the right way of living?

ATT: Let's all become Halloween Captains!
Why?

Because that's how the game was designed to be played. As a multiplayer fighting game with random elements, a "party game" if you will. Competitvely it only grew because it was an awesome game, party and non-party wise.

But I do enjoy 1v1 no items. I'm just tired of that particular style's dominance, especially since smash's entertainment value wasn't designed to last forever using those settings. There's absolutely nothing wrong with playing 1v1 to "prove" your skills. At 1v1. If that's your thing. Just don't tell me removing elements from gameplay because they are random automatically makes it a "deeper" and more complex game.

O.K. then, act just like me. If you do it well enough, then you'll question all norms. You'll question these norms because no one else in the group has dared question these norms, and it's about time someone make the group realize that there is more to the discussion than mere acceptance of what we have come to know. And always take the side that no one else represents, if only to cause the rest to return and seriously examine that side, to make sure that any decision that should be made is truely the right decision, and not based off mere tradition or norm. That is what a Halloween Captain does.

Red Arremer

Smash Legend
If you enjoy playing Free for All with Items on, noone is going to stop you. Hell, I think every competetive player plays FFA with Items from time to time.

But what stops me from playing the game the way I enjoy it? If it was designed to be a party game with random elements, why can I CHOOSE the rules regarding items and stages myself? Right: Because people enjoy playing with no items. Because there are people who don't enjoy playing on New Pork City or Hanenbow. So they can change their own settings to what they like and want to play.

We're not talking about depth, or complexity: I repeat. WHY is only YOUR way of having fun the right way?!

Top Bottom