• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Guide The Competitive Kirby [ver 2.1]

Cereal Rabbit

Smash Lord
Kirby's Nair to Fair is really good.

Up Throw and Kirbycide<3

There's down throw to tech chase.

Kirby's U-Air is 100% godly. It is possible to get good enough to ALWAYS hit when you're using it.

Time to get some videos up, Cereal....

yuki

Smash Apprentice
Great guide. It was really helpfull for me.
I need some tactics like these that I can put to good use for the upcoming tournament I'm attending.
T!mmy you're great support for a lot of kirby players. Keep up the good work!

Cereal Rabbit

Smash Lord
Great guide. It was really helpfull for me.
I need some tactics like these that I can put to good use for the upcoming tournament I'm attending.
T!mmy you're great support for a lot of kirby players. Keep up the good work!
Timmy gives the best advice......

I could help you with some specific things if you stated. I'm getting some videos up on YouTube of my Kirby....

Pink Reaper

Real Name No Gimmicks
BRoomer
In the Air, Using Up b as an offensive move
The Kirby boards are generally more helpful towards people because there are so few people here. t!Mmy is usually always here to give advice but his computer just crapped out so you might not hear from him a lot. But Cereal Rabbit, Dogysamich, or myself are usually always here (myself being the least useful of the three >.<) so feel free to ask for help whenever you need it

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
Ha ha ha (at the above Vader reference).

Even though my computer is on life-support, I still have backup comps I can use. ;)

yuki

Smash Apprentice
thats great! I have a question about kirby's game. How usefull is shorthopping to him? I dont shorthop with kirby too much because I don't think he needs it really. O, and could someone help me with learning how to L cancel? I just have a hard time with it...

Rape Ya Shiz

Smash Rookie
I've been playing kirby for a while but, i just can't get over his weight. Is there any technique to how to use kirby's movement?

Pink Reaper

Real Name No Gimmicks
BRoomer
Yuki: You have a 7 frame window in which you must press L or R to L-cancel it. The best thing you could do to practice is just go into practice mode or Melee mode with a human/level 1 and just start practicing until hitting that button becomes second nature to you. Once you get used to it you shouldn't even have to think about it.

Shiz: Kirby is one of the slowest characters and has no way to really approach. He has no real movement techniques to help him outside of wavedashes which, while not long, come out quickly and can be useful for mindgames.

Cereal Rabbit

Smash Lord
Practicing on Slow Motion always helps for me.

Just a little thing I had to say but, reaction and action are different things. Faster players react fast and then do action. It may sound confusing but when it looks like 7 frames, you'll react and then press L, but then your reaction delayed the button pressing about 5-10 frames? So you would sort of press it earlier. Maybe it takes you 3 frams on SSBM to push down L?

A little physics in human reaction. Practice.

@ Pink Reaper: Have you checked out my videos yet @_@....

kinghippo99

Smash Lord
I'm a former Falco main and now I can't quite get the hang of sh with Kirby... oh well. great guide.

yuki

Smash Apprentice
Ok so to recab I go to slomo mode against a com 1 player in practice. Cereal rabbit you have a very good point there. The time between you thinking I should press L. And the moment of actually pressing L, has a certain lag due to us puny humans not being able to react fast enough.

Wayland

Smash Journeyman
I'm a former Falco main and now I can't quite get the hang of sh with Kirby... oh well. great guide.
Don't sweat. What I did was practice short hopping, and use it before I could. (I'll explain)
Kirby's got a short full jump, so his full jump airs aren't too awful. Fast-fall and l-cancel the airs too. Then, when you finally can short hop, you're golden. Don't wait to short hop to learn to shffl with kirby. If the sh is the hard part, learn the ffl, then add in the short hop when your fingers get faster.

PrinceOfDalaam

Smash Apprentice
That's true... Well guess I'll have to keep practicing. And what about L - cancelling? Is there a way I can practice that better?
I've actually practiced it with Giant melee. It just seems to work for me since I get a bigger picture of kirby:laugh: and it helps me better see where im missing the lcancel and where im not. THanks to giant melee i can lcancel alot better! (in real matches of course)

Cereal Rabbit

Smash Lord
Don't sweat. What I did was practice short hopping, and use it before I could. (I'll explain)
Kirby's got a short full jump, so his full jump airs aren't too awful. Fast-fall and l-cancel the airs too. Then, when you finally can short hop, you're golden. Don't wait to short hop to learn to shffl with kirby. If the sh is the hard part, learn the ffl, then add in the short hop when your fingers get faster.
Full hops are terrible if you want to SHFFL! LOL

Only full hop when you want to U-air or double B-air.

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
Full jumped n-airs, f-airs, and d-airs are pretty handy. Oh, and b-airs. And sometimes u-airs. Hm... I guess they're all good.

Banana_Dragon

Smash Journeyman
Hey, someone else uses the Giant Melee method! Lol, hehe, I though I was the only one. :p
Yeah, it did help me out too so I can only recommend trying it.

I have a question myself though, about a matchup specifically. (I didn't think it needed it's own thread)

Kirby vs Ice Climbers... I don't think the match up is supposed to be this hard but I just keep having trouble with it...
I mean, my kirby is actually better against Marth and space animals than it is against Ice Climbers.

Any suggestions here? Usually whenever I attack one of the two, no matter how careful I think my approach to be, the other attacks me, and it's frustrating! <(>.<)>

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
Doesn't Giant Melee increase Kirby's jump frames? I don't like that, he's already slow enough. :p

Kirby vs. Ice Climbers
Don't get smashed. Kirby does so much easier than ICs when he gets f-smashed or d-smashed, and it doesn't help that if Popo grabs, Nana can smash.

I doubt Kirby does better against ICs than the top tiers (Marth, Fox, Falco). They're all hard matches, but if you can distance yourself and take out Nana, then ICs aren't nearly as dominating.

Hopefully Binx can get those three friendlies we recorded at the last Portland tourney online soon so I can point you to some research material.

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
Then Kirby is well-suited for you. He can't camp anyone... except maybe Bowser and technically Pichu since the little rat hurts himself.

Banana_Dragon

Smash Journeyman
Well thanks for the advice, T!mmy!

Yeah, it's just, I hate the whole "two of them" thing ya know :p
And yeah, taking out Nana, obviously, but I fail at that though...
Oh well, bad spacing on my part I guess?

Brawleri

Smash Journeyman
Great guide! Improved my thinking immediately, when i beat my bro who uses Falcon, falco and marth.
I was actually able to beat him 2 matches row, with kirby. =)

Nice guide! Respect you T!mmy for making it =D

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
No problem. If you have any questions, just post them. I or other Kirby players are always willing to help out.

Archenyte

Smash Journeyman
thanks for the guide! Kirby's always been kind of like my hero. There were some parts i didn't really agree with but i don't remember where they were

Professor X

Smash Apprentice
T!mmy, I really appreciate what you've done with the AR videos of the hitboxes.

But if I could make a request, or a suggestion for your next update, do you think you could include the range of frames over which the hitboxes are present? I like to compare moves with this data.

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
Yeah, Kirby's hitbox data is readily available at the URL that Pink Reaper provided, but maybe I should still include it in the guide. Not everybody knows where to look for information like that after all, and I can always add notes on how that data applies in actual gameplay.

Thanks for bringing the topic up. I've wanted to include more hitbox info in the guide and this can motivate me to making the next update.

Pink Reaper

Real Name No Gimmicks
BRoomer
DO IT T!MMY!!!!!!!

I've been looking everywhere to find actual hitbox info, preferably gif images showing hitboxes and such. Also, I was hoping you could help me out, my friends all tell me that Kirby has one of the worst grab ranges in the game but I keep saying he has around the 6th or 7th longest grab range in the game. Not the best, but pretty good for a character that sucks so much. Im also looking for the IASA data on Kirby's tilts as SDM didn't seem to include it in his page and I keep thinking that maybe my tilt spam just isn't as fast as it could be.

Top Bottom