• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Guide The Competitive Kirby [ver 2.1]

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
Anything related to the mechanics of Kirby play certainly seems on topic. ;)

I thought I gave a post about Stone Sliding on Kongo Jungle, but I guess I never got around to it. Once my friends fell for it the first time, they started tracking Kirby's movement as he slid making it much less effective ... but then you can cancel your Stone early and leave them expecting you to drop.

experiment111

Smash Journeyman
Great stuff. Although i wouldn't recommend all the strategies here but then im not exactly pro material. Helped me with some of my strategies especially F-tilt.

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
Please elaborate on which strategies you wouldn't recommend - I may want to edit out the more corner-case details.

Buster Cannon

Smash Rookie
NNID
BaconStunner
What exactly is the death to Marth maneuver? My friend plays Marth and he's hard to beat so I would like to know.

oddgloat

Smash Cadet
I was wondering why my Kirby was so effective against my friend's anyone--he loves to crouch cancel and I love to lead in with a fast-fall Dair :) Great combo insights. Quick question (which im sure you covered but I didn't have time to read)-->.on Kirby's B-throw, what determines if your opponent breaks out and kirby suicides or if they go down with you?

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
Characters break out of Kirby's B-throw based on damage. The higher percent they have, the harder it is for them to break out. It also depends on how quickly the opponent moves the control stick or pushes buttons.

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
Okay, here it is:
Kirby pwns Marth and laughs.

It works much better on tape. Once I get around to editing it all together, I'll have that up. In fact, I promise to have done by August.

Oskurito

Smash Lord
D-throw-->U-tilt-->Reverse F-tilt (B-tilt?)-->D-tilt-->F-SMASH

Works for me...whatcha think?
It'll always depend on what character are you trying do it and on the %, but i'm sure it most likely can be escaped by DIng one of the hits in the combo (probably just the grab)

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
Kirby doesn't pull off combos, he just pulls off consecutive hits. So D-throw > U-tilt > F-tilt > D-tilt > F-Smash is entirely feasible, but depends on your opponent letting it happen. D-throw can be tech'd, for instance, if they're a fast faller (if they're a floaty, they'll likely hit you first)

Nashun

Smash Ace
D-throw-->U-tilt-->Reverse F-tilt (B-tilt?)-->D-tilt-->F-SMASH

Works for me...whatcha think?
I think if your opponents start at 0% and they miss the tech on the dthrow, don't jump out of or hit you after the utilt, perfectly DI the reverse f-tilt so that they land as close to you as possible, and then crouch cancel the d-tilt so that the fsmash hits them, then this is entirely feasible.

IC3R

Smash Lord
I know better than to D-Throw floaties, especially Peach and Luigi...XD

Question : Do you know anything about Kirby having a small glitch with his Stone Drop? Sometimes, I Stone under a platform, and I appear on the platform as a Stone instantly. FTW? Has anyone else experienced this Glitch?

Nashun

Smash Ace
Not a glitch, Kirby rises a little in his starting animation for down+B. You're pretty much rising above the platform and dropping onto it.

IC3R

Smash Lord
Not a glitch, Kirby rises a little in his starting animation for down+B. You're pretty much rising above the platform and dropping onto it.
I know he rises, that's why I think there's a glitch.
I float just a litle ways below the platform to Stone an opponent, and all of a sudden I'm on the platform, Stone'd, with no start-up lag! It's happened to me three times already...I don't know to do it on purpose! >.<

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
Sounds like a platform cancel. Too bad the Stone is terrible or else it might do something more useful than give your opponent the opportunity to hit you.

Pink Reaper

Real Name No Gimmicks
BRoomer
In the Air, Using Up b as an offensive move
I would like to take this time to point out that the liven up thread now has more posts in it than this one, and obviously a threads importance is indicated by its posts. As such the Liven Up thread is obviously more important to the kirby forums than this thread. And here i was thinking that no thread could be more important to kirby than this one. Im utterly amazed.

Also on a more important note, how do you lead into a grab with kirby? Other than the obvious shield grabs, the only ones i can really get off are grabs when an opponent shields an attack(like a bair or nair) and i l-cancel into a grab. But that requires me to approach a shielding opponent and that leaves me open to shield grabbing.

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
I usually get most of my grabs with the obvious shield-grab, dash dancing into a grab, and - probably the one you're looking for - after an attack. You can lead into a grab after D-air (dash in if they get knocked away), a F-air (weak hit, dash in) and U-tilt (catch 'em out of the air; jab reset on fast fallers; or jab wake-up if they miss a tech).

Now Kirby just needs some kind of follow-up after a grab. :p

Buster Cannon

Smash Rookie
NNID
BaconStunner
Just out of curiosity, when is the Death to Marth Maneuver going to be released?

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
It already has... at least to those unfortunately souls to whom I've done it.

MikeKirby

OTL Winrar
Hmmm... Deadly Death Maneuver... Hey Timmy, isn't one of them the kirbycide psyche-out you pulled on Ganondorf toward the end of your Kirbycide video? I am guessing that C. Falcons is the same. Bowser is probably a mistaken down-b and Marth's might be a mispresses D-air off the ledge. With all that lag on that attack it might spell doom for Marth (Roy's might be the same). I think those are the maneuvers, right?

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
I really hope to get things updated and get my videos done and everything. Everyone keep bothering me so I'm motivated in doing it.

BTW, I pulled off the Death to Marth Maneuver last night. I feel dirty. :)

Abomb9614

Smash Rookie
hey t!mmy just wanted to say awesome guide and u helped me out alot. keep up the great work. my friend who main's falco can't stand my kirby anymore. its all thanx to you.

Banana_Dragon

Smash Journeyman
Well, I haven't commented on the guide yet... And since I found out how much of a noob I am at NAS biweekly last weekend, I'll definately be using this guide!
So far the only thing I was doing right was using crouch cancel effectively and concentrating on ledgegame O.o Man I'm horrible...
In any case! Awesome guide Timmy! You're the best Kirby I know of! I'll be sure to put the information to good use!

PS: I'd also like to bug you about when you're finally going to release those deadly death maneuver video's :-p

Kirby Redux

Smash Journeyman
thanks a lot, that really helped me. Im kinda new to Smash Bros.; i only got it about 2 weeks ago, though ive played it infrequently with friends. Kirby stood out to me among all the others as a tactical fighter, and I have always loved playing him. Can't wait to try out some of those new tricks. Just started practicing with Kirbycides, and they mostly work with great effectiveness. I'm getting more into the game now and its getting a lot easier to beat whole teams of computers, and my friends :D anyway, great guide, cant wait till the new stuff comes up!

-KR

Annhialator Zero

Smash Apprentice
This guide seriously improved my Kirby play, I now use him as my number two character and quite regularly beat computer top-tiers with it (I only have one human opponent, and he plays Falco and I can't beat that with Kirby lol)

Kirbycide is win :)

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
Duck under that Falco's lasers and hit him with a B-air. That'll teach 'im. :)

Nashun

Smash Ace
That combo doesn't work. They have about 500 frames of advantage if you ever try to follow up a d-tilt with a d-air.

B-air, in most cases, is too slow to use after a d-air. Safest and most reliable followups to d-air are f-tilt and grab.

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
What's worse is that when you play against the same people time and again, they learn things that show some major flaws with Kirby. For instance, DMStudios will crouch cancel my D-air and CCC me into a grab before I can do anything, L-cancel or not. At higher percents, he will turn his crouch cancel counter into a smash DI (down), tech off the floor, and then come in with an attack. This is why I like playing against people who don't know everything about countering Kirby to the frame. -.-

But, yeah, what Nashun said. Kirby doesn't "combo" too well.

Dogysamich

The Designated Hype Man!
BRoomer
kirby combos.

yeah, kirby doesnt really have combos.

u.tilt -> grab
u.tilt -> u.air
b.air -> ?.tilt
d.air -> ?.tilt

oh, and the standard jab -> grab, if you call that a combo

and then tech chasing. (Which is possible. Hard as balls, but possible).

Top Bottom