• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Guide The Competitive Kirby [ver 2.1]

blendy

Smash Rookie
That was a great guide it will surley help me play way better with kirby

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
I'm having too much fun making Kirby videos. As soon as I'm done with Warpstar Warrior, I promise I will have the Death to Marth and Death to Captain Falcon techniques shown in video format. ^__^

Samochan

Smash Master
I'm having too much fun making Kirby videos. As soon as I'm done with Warpstar Warrior, I promise I will have the Death to Marth and Death to Captain Falcon techniques shown in video format. ^__^
What in the world is death to Falcon tech? O__o;;; Have I missed some topic from Kirby boards or did you just invent it? Tell me more, pls. :3

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
If you can't find it, no big deal. It's only mentioned. But I will have a video of it soon enough.

nitro-blazer

Smash Lord
I can't believe I haven't made a comment yet. Sorry.

Great guide. I just read it through, again, and I must say, it's the best Kirby guide out there yet. My only complaint is that Competitive is spelt wrong on the banner. :laugh:

Up-to-date, and informative. Great job.

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
I can't believe I haven't made a comment yet. Sorry.

Great guide. I just read it through, again, and I must say, it's the best Kirby guide out there yet. My only complaint is that Competitive is spelt wrong on the banner. :laugh:

Up-to-date, and informative. Great job.
Oh no T_T
When I have time I'll remake it. I put it together after all that typing, so I didn't even notice. *_*

nitro-blazer

Smash Lord
DOn't worry about it too much. THere are a lot of people on the internet who can't even spell Are, or you [eg/ lol r u gud wit link?] Besides, I'm still finding spelling mistakes in my typing. And a lot of them, too.

yorpy

Smash Journeyman
thats was very impressive timmy! Those are some good tips that I will be putting to use very soon...

jazblack009

Smash Ace
t!mmy awesome guide, the character matchup information is a great help, marth is kirby's hardest matchup, i'm suprised peach isn't up there
any chance of some counter pick stages information? stages to keep away from on certain matchups? kirby players need as much help as they can get ;)
i thought mute city would be a great counter pick... Uairs through the stage, maybe even a kirbycide or two,
but it turns out when kirby doesn't have a ledge to pwn off, it stuffs him up, no final cutter cancels or rock sweet spots on mute city :p
any help would be great ^_^

$PITE

Smash Journeyman
Kongo 64 is a great counterpick. There are platforms up high should you choose to float above the edgeguarder. Hell, you could float down low and come up through the floor (with an attack, maybe?). Really messes up opponent's edgeguarding. High ceilings, good horizontal borders too.

jazblack009

Smash Ace
Kongo 64 is a good stage for kirby, seeing as the stage hides what kirby is actually doing under there :p a suprise hammer and even a Kamakirby through the floor is always good, the wide boundries both ceiling and side-wise are a great help
My favourite thing to do there is probably take advantage of the fact that kirby's last three jumps don't give him much height which equals either Fair combos with the first 2 hits or Uair spamming through the floor of the stage, not much combo out of Uairs but it clears the way for an easy recovery.
The main person this counter pick should work against is a Marth,
Kirby's 2 hardest matchups are Samus and Peach (?) both who can abuse the cannon on that level better than kirby O.o Marth would have to Forward B to spam the cannons, not impossible, but hard.
so it has its pros and cons ;) kirby can always get down there to guard the cannon if you want to be a little suicidal :p

I wonder if you can stone drop into cannon... for completely fun purposes ofcourse but still... i'll have to try that out.

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
I will probably include a section on stages for Kirby when I update this guide. I was going to include one to begin with, but I wanted to experiment further with Stages before I did.

I found Kongo Jungle 64 is not Kirby's best stage.

jazblack009

Smash Ace
I will probably include a section on stages for Kirby when I update this guide. I was going to include one to begin with, but I wanted to experiment further with Stages before I did.

I found Kongo Jungle 64 is not Kirby's best stage.
ooooooh the suspense :p
i look forward to it sir t!mmy

could any one clarify this... on Kongo 64 kirby's stone drop slides down the top right platform on the stage, true.
why doesn't it slide down the left hand side?

o.O doesn't that just **** with your mind
its like kongo 64 is mindgaming kirby

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
It's true, Kirby slides on the right side, but not the left in KJ64.

nitro-blazer

Smash Lord
I've found I'm not a fan of Kongo Jungle as much for one reason. The opponent can get around your edgeguard much the same way you can. You guard hte bottom edge, they go up high, and chances are, they make it before you due to slow jump speed. You stay up high, they make it low because of the slow faling speed. They can also use the ledges, while taking into account your slower jump speed, to potentially break combos.

I do like the slopes on the main platform, you can abuse them with D-tilts while racking up a little more protection than usual.

Buttcrust

Smash Ace
I've found I'm not a fan of Kongo Jungle as much for one reason. The opponent can get around your edgeguard much the same way you can. You guard hte bottom edge, they go up high, and chances are, they make it before you due to slow jump speed. You stay up high, they make it low because of the slow faling speed. They can also use the ledges, while taking into account your slower jump speed, to potentially break combos.

I do like the slopes on the main platform, you can abuse them with D-tilts while racking up a little more protection than usual.
I haven't played in a while, but don't the slopes of the platforms slope towards the edge? Can't you stay high and once they commit low rock slide down. I take any chance I can to use the rock because it's embarrassing to be hit by. :psycho:

But really you should be able to cover both by moving high when they're high and dropping down as soon as they commit low. Few characters can be low and then recover high.

DeathscytheHello

Smash Journeyman
Rock slide doesn't work on Congo Jungle's upper ledges, if I recall it correctly. I don't know why, though. Maybe because it would be somewhat useful to Kirby and the programmers didn't want anything useful for him to stay in the game.

I'd say don't worry about where they are coming in at and take them out at the source. Don't even let them get to the edge, just be like, "Check out my crappy move set!" as you use a n-air to knock them away so that their recovery is just short of the ledge.

Pink Reaper

Real Name No Gimmicks
BRoomer
In the Air, Using Up b as an offensive move
Kirby does have a lot of trouble against the higher tier characters but on the bright side he since he such a light character its difficult to pillar him and (assuming you have most of your jumps left) anyone foolish enough to try and stop you at the edge can be repelled with an uair

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
This guide has been updated to version 2.1, yay!
Here are the new changes:
  • Cool banner
  • Contents have been rearranged for better organization
  • Big update to the Team Battle section
  • New sections added:
Attacks - General Strategies
Movement - Staying Alive
Appendix ii: Free For All
I will be finishing the new sections as I have time, since right now they're just place holders for things I'd like to add.

If there's anything you'd like to see added, removed, updated, etc., please post and let me know.

chu12ch

Smash Journeyman
Lolz... yet another question about the death to cf/marth/bowser maneuver... i think the marth one is lightshielding the edge... but no idea about bowser or cap fac...

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
I'd like to display the Deadly Death Maneuvers on video, as they're much more effective when you see them in use. So once I get time to sit down and dig through the ginormous pile of VHS tapes, I'll capture them and put them online. And, no, the lightshielding edge-guard is different, that's the "Marth Trick" invented by KrazyKid.

Samochan

Smash Master
I'd like to display the Deadly Death Maneuvers on video, as they're much more effective when you see them in use. So once I get time to sit down and dig through the ginormous pile of VHS tapes, I'll capture them and put them online. And, no, the lightshielding edge-guard is different, that's the "Marth Trick" invented by KrazyKid.
Uh, okay... now you got me interested o.o

I though they were the same thing. >_>;

MikeKirby

OTL Winrar
Smashwiki? I dont know I mean other people might change the strategies and tactics and everything. I want Timmy's knowledge on playing. He's the best =] GO T!MMY!!!

*EDIT - Oh wait... unless you meant a link to it. Sure sounds great!

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
Oh, okay.
I'll go add stuff to the Kirby Smashwiki. ^_^

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
Oh yes, maybe I forgot to mention? I added in AR captured frame visuals in the "In Depth Move List" Click on the names of the attacks to see them.

King Kirby 90

Smash Apprentice
Rock slide doesn't work on Congo Jungle's upper ledges, if I recall it correctly. I don't know why, though. Maybe because it would be somewhat useful to Kirby and the programmers didn't want anything useful for him to stay in the game.
It is possible to rock slide on the RIGHT platform of Congo Jungle. The left one doesn't work, maybe it's a bug or something. And yes it's pretty cool to rock slide from off the platform, to hit the opponent, Stone-sweetspot the edge and directly hit him with a edge-cancelled fair or something^^. Sorry timmy, I know this doesn't really belong to your thread, but some players were wondering about this.

Top Bottom