• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Guide The Competitive Kirby [ver 2.1]

INSANE CARZY GUY

Banned via Warnings
Why don't you play better? In truth there are no broken tactics or unbeatable tactics in melee you make lasers backfire with powersheilding.

Also does anyone try extra hard to kirbycide on their last stock for LOLs?

INSANE CARZY GUY

Banned via Warnings
Still one of the best answers for kirby maybe if you take them to brinstar and suck on on of the sides they can't hit you or if your behind the pillars.

He could still play better even without powersheilding

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
Space animals just wait for the lava to rise and **** Kirby when he has to move up. Because Kirby's awful when he has to use his horrific aerial mobility and lay siege to a platform.

INSANE CARZY GUY

Banned via Warnings
Yeah and if he just tryed to float above the lava they could just shine him into the lava and LOL.

I was thinking fox without so much space on a platform would help kirby a lot and that he would have an uber easy/legit way to avoid the lasers for most of the match.

I don't know man I only play as kirby to up-tilt and kill myself on the last stock even if they still have 4 I would still kirbcide.

LOL I should play as pichu He can at least taunt cancel and move fast.

BunBun

Smash Master
I'm going to safely say that Fox is unwinnable for Kirby. Same with Puff. Falco and Marth are close.

There's absolutely nothing you can do against Fox. Suck on the side? He can space a forward smash to hit you, or drop through tha platform and do almost anything above you. Unless you can recover really high up, you're basically dead if you're offstage. Shine molests Kirbs offstage. If you're off the edge, your best chance is to try and suprisr them with an inhale, if it doesn't work, your pretty much still in the same position you were, except lower. If your near the stage and manage to tech the shine, upb asap and get ready to tech again.

There's seriously no hope against fox if the fox is smart at all.

ZIO

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
It's just a sad thing to me, as much as I want him to be good. No one plays this character enough for us to find something worth noting. The 1st post was made in '05, edited in '07. I would think something has happened since then, but I guess not.

You, as a person, would have to play extremely smart, in order to play against many characters at a high level and hold your own, if not win. That's just how it is, but the victory is so much more glorious if you have it with Kirby. :D

BunBun

Smash Master
There have been more advancements, we just don't post them because it gives us more of a chance by not telling other people the few things we can do.

Most of the kirby players here post on a secret out of smashboards forum specifically for kirby discussion. We're all going light right now, but in 2k11 we'll be opening the year of the Kirby, and dominate Melee with the pink fellating fucker.

INSANE CARZY GUY

Banned via Warnings
hmmm maybe that's why everyone has been telling me kirby is better than pichu they are simplely hiddening the reason :) good luck with that. I also haven't told everyone what I know about pichu in my notebook.

NJzFinest

Smash Hero
Yeah, but still. Can't you do stuff like... reverse uptilt to punch? xD

Idk, I love onion kirby more then bird kirby (eventhough bird kirby is OP).

BunBun

Smash Master
GAO!

No, I doubt utilt to punch combos lol. It's really only good to punish a bad tech with.

Carl, uh, when do I get to see you again T-T

BunBun

Smash Master
Not very. He falls too slow to really do anything useful with the lag canceling aspect. When I get them, I'll usually just attempt to be annoying with them, but in reality inhale is more useful.

wooha

Smash Rookie
I think Kirby's main advantage is how unfamiliar people are with playing against him. So when someone who can actually win tournaments with Kirby comes around, Kirby's metagame will be totally screwed.

Nashun

Smash Ace
That's a horribly naive and inaccurate statement. If Kirby's single main advantage is that people are unfamiliar against him, then obviously he has nothing to offer in a competitive environment. Otherwise his main advantage would be whatever that tourney-winning Kirby would use to actually win tournaments.

If a Kirby did win a tournament, his metagame would be totally opposite of screwed, because obviously everyone else is doing something wrong as it is.

INSANE CARZY GUY

Banned via Warnings
yeah really knowing just like how to deal this his SD tactics is pretty easy.

kirby on edge don't go there maybe if you came from above.

if kirby throws shake out and if you fail down you can up-B back to the stage and let kitby die.

never shake out of B try to go to stages that by make it hard for him to make it back FoD rainbow ride.

at a part of rainbow ride kirby can up-throw you. as on other stages.

that small bit of info stops like all kirby SD tactics and if you like marth/roy and they do that suck on ground by edge jump of them and side-B them works well and if your winning don't do anything haha kirby fail.

wooha

Smash Rookie
Nahsun, I understand where you are coming from, that if someone was some sort of prodigy with Kirby then we could all learn a thing or two; even though this does make sense it has already been mentioned numerous times in this thread, particularly in the introduction:

"especially against opponents unfamiliar with Kirby because they'll likely have to spend valuable fighting time just figuring out which attacks will actually hit you!"

"you can take advantage of your opponent's unfamiliarity early in the game - he is trying to figure out how to deal with a Kirby while you already know what to expect from his character."

The second of which I find to be very accurate in describing how Kirby is played: using tactics your opponent is not familiar with. Once these tactics (Kirby's metagame) become widely known, then they are far less effective as suitable counters will be devised. And winning a tournament would be the perfect way to make those tactics widely known, and players would have to learn them and adapt to them. Right now, since Kirby isn't really a huge threat, most players don't have to worry about learning all the inns and outs of Kirby's metagame in order to counter it.

INSANE CARZY GUY

Banned via Warnings
I wish I was a amazing troll or something. kirby boards could easily be trolled dto death like the roy boards.

But yeah really in truthfulness it's not just what you do it's how you do it. if someone is use to fox being on the edge and he side-Bs back on every time it seems very predictable right? however he could do more than just mindlessly spam it if he had to side-B back.

1. do one of foxes maay stalls(my favorite is to be on battlefeild and wall jump off the edge into side-B) then randomly side-B on

2. shorten it.

3. jump di back shorten it to back it so you land on the edge and repeat till they try and stop you then do a full

4 side-B onto a platform

5. walljump into a single laser to regrab the edge till they try to stop you and you side-b on.

6. walljump side-B

7. normal

some options kindof suck but it keeps theem confused and ion the edge and again I think we can argee kirby like fox doen't have only one option in every single case. that's roy.

so even if they know the simple tactics there are ways to mix up or to try something totally different like nair onto the stage, gasp.

Mizar

Smash Ace
Big tournament in Sweden was going on last weekend (B.E.A.S.T).
Ice lost a game VS Hack (Kirby)
For people who don't know Ice, he's becoming the m2k of europe. Last tournament outplacing Zgetto and CalleW.

Definitely look out for that Kirby, the vids should be oploaded on youtube fairly soon.

Triple R

Smash Lord
Big tournament in Sweden was going on last weekend (B.E.A.S.T).
Ice lost a game VS Hack (Kirby)
For people who don't know Ice, he's becoming the m2k of europe. Last tournament outplacing Zgetto and CalleW.

Definitely look out for that Kirby, the vids should be oploaded on youtube fairly soon.
I'll be looking forward to a link when they are uploaded.

ryuu seika

Smash Master
What version do they play in Sweden?

EDIT: Video loaded and that's definitely a good kirby. I'm surprised at how many of my little tricks he uses (not that many but he does do the Nair thing and a few other examples). Also greatly surprised at him messing up my fireball recover stopper and getting edge guarded into oblivion.
His Marth's pretty good too but clearly no match for that spammy Fox.

Also, was that non-representative of tournament play or do I have to bring an MP3 player full of SSBM music loops to every event if I ever wanna go pro?

Rostigalen

Smash Journeyman
"MY" little tricks?

Watch that tongue, Hack and Armada has played Kirby long before you even discovered Smashboards.

Us Swedes play PAL.

Hack played Kirby in matches for 7th and 5th place in the biggest international tournament in Europe since...2008? There were over 100 entrants so you shouldn't question its validity.

Stop being cócky.

Triple R

Smash Lord
His trick he was talking about was actually probably an accident. No smart Kirby will do that off stage like that. I know I do it on accident sometimes.

First off, I heard people saying ICE was the M2K of Europe. After watching that set It's clear that was a little over the top, since I don't think he's even close to M2K level. lol

Second, it's obvious his Kirby is really good, but I wish I was playing PAL sometimes lol. I saw multiple times where his Kirby lived at percents that he would have died if it was NTSC. Then there was the Marth dair that he meteor canceled, which I wish I could do over here.... lol.

Third, wow at all that rolling..... He's lucky he only used Kirby two sets, he probably would have come across someone in bracket that would punish that pretty quick if he used him more.

Fourth, people need to stop playing against Kirby like they are sacred of him XD

ryuu seika

Smash Master
"MY" little tricks? Watch that tongue, Hack and Armada has played Kirby long before you even discovered Smashboards.
Whether they're their tricks or not does not exclude them from being mine too if I came up with them independently. All I meant by it was a simple "it's nice to see real players do some of what I do. clearly I'm not doing everything wrong".

Us Swedes play PAL.
Thanks. That makes this less impressive than a similar US match but it's still good.

you shouldn't question its validity.
I was merely questioning whether all tournaments have music turned off because I think that would throw me quite badly

Stop being cócky.
I feel you've misinterpreted a lot of what I said to add in arrogance that wasn't really there. I know I couldn't do what Hack did, I'm simply surprised by what similarities are there.

His trick he was talking about was actually probably an accident. No smart Kirby will do that off stage like that. I know I do it on accident sometimes.
All my fireballs are on purpose.
Also, I don't see what's wrong with fireballing off stage as long as ou can be sure of colliding with their recovery move. If they predict it and don't bother with the recovery move, you do do their recovery for them though so it's definitely risky.

Fourth, people need to stop playing against Kirby like they are sacred of him XD
I think you'll find people are scared of good Kirbys.

Top Bottom