• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Captain Falcon Q&A Thread

Darky-Sama

Smash Lord
NNID
Darky-Sama
Mindgame.

Fakeout approach sometimes. AKA; Dash toward them, pull up a shield, wait for them to try and punish you then shield grab. Approaching them is usually how Falcon works though. He doesn't have any projectiles to camp with. Mix up your approach and you should be alright though.

Try to read your opponent and punish them with grabs as much as you possibly can.

Anonymous Brawler

Smash Journeyman
Mindgame.

Fakeout approach sometimes. AKA; Dash toward them, pull up a shield, wait for them to try and punish you then shield grab. Approaching them is usually how Falcon works though. He doesn't have any projectiles to camp with. Mix up your approach and you should be alright though.

Try to read your opponent and punish them with grabs as much as you possibly can.
Punish with grabs and the like, got it. But what throw should I use then?

Darky-Sama

Smash Lord
NNID
Darky-Sama
Down throw is Falcon's best throw hands down. It can be used to follow up with other aerials, even if characters can avoid it, it's by far our best throw in means of following up.

Forward throw if they're near a ledge, because you can run back, taunt, wait for them to try and recover and their means of recovery off of the ledge. Rolling onto the ledge? Smash. Climbing back up? Grab and throw them off again. Attacking? Short Hop Knee. Jumping up? Aerial.

Back throw, it's basically good for throwing them off the stage if near a ledge, considering you're back is toward the ledge.

Up throw, it's so-so. Good for following up and it looks manly.

Anonymous Brawler

Smash Journeyman
Down throw is Falcon's best throw hands down. It can be used to follow up with other aerials, even if characters can avoid it, it's by far our best throw in means of following up.

Forward throw if they're near a ledge, because you can run back, taunt, wait for them to try and recover and their means of recovery off of the ledge. Rolling onto the ledge? Smash. Climbing back up? Grab and throw them off again. Attacking? Short Hop Knee. Jumping up? Aerial.

Back throw, it's basically good for throwing them off the stage if near a ledge, considering you're back is toward the ledge.

Up throw, it's so-so. Good for following up and it looks manly.
This is good stuff. And what color do you guys use? My friend uses dark falcon and I use pink facon.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
I don't like D-throw much to be honest. It's okay, but becomes pretty lame when they DI away and if they're not over the edge. It's most **** of course however if they don't DI away...which might happen if you D-throw them over the edge and they expect F-throw. Although dumb people who airdodge onstage after D-throw do at least get regrabbed if you follow up correctly.

I think U-throw is Falcon's best throw from my experience. It suffers the least from DI, and Falcon's strength lies in punishing above him. He's a good character at punishing high altitude airdodges, so U-throw imo is the best source of virtually guaranteed damage in general situations.

F-throw is a reliable bet for putting people offstage and does 9%, which is decent.

B-throw sucks for the most part...I mean well, I guess getting people offstage with it is fine.

As for colors I use, I always use the standard color on every character I use.

BigLord

Smash Lord
NNID
BiigLord
3DS FC
3024-7470-9499
Spiking with dair is awesome and manly, it's hard though. If you CAN land it, prepare to be praised by everyone in the room.

However, the nipple thrust (spiking forward instead of downwards) is also pretty good, and you can easily KO with it. So, if you have the chance, use a dair, sure.

(of course, it's Falcon's worst air move, but it's oh so rewarding...)

Darky-Sama

Smash Lord
NNID
Darky-Sama
I agree, A2. The only reason I like down throw is because it places the opponent in front of Falcon, rather than allowing them to DI behind him. It sorta limits their options, especially if Falcon doesn't follow up with an aerial, it's ridiculously easy toI use his forward throw much more than any of them now though.

Nipple Blasters. <3

Spiking with his Dair is difficult, but it's really, really manly. I usually attempt to go for it whenever the chance is given.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
But Ganon's D-air sucks. Oh wait, yeah...it's largely because he doesn't have the mobility to make it safe on block. Aside from the fact it has very little horizontal range and pretty huge startup. Honestly though, Ganon's D-air isn't that good. It's too slow and has too little horizontal priority. Oh yeah it ***** when you techchase into it though.

If Falcon's N-air actually had duration and a little more priority below him, I think that would be enough for Falcon to be a good character honestly. I mean it's a good attack in terms of speed. It's just so hindered by its crap hitboxes...now if the hitboxes weren't crap, Falcon not only would be able to better approach and link combos with it, it would really help improve his options for avoiding juggles as well.

Darky-Sama

Smash Lord
NNID
Darky-Sama
Because he's a terrible character.

Ganondorf is one of those characters that simply lack potential. Don't get me wrong, I love using him almost as much as I do Falcon, but he really is a garbage character. Place him against another character on the same skill level, that actually knows how to play against a Ganondorf properly. Ganon is left as a pretty helpless cause in that sense.

Though, hes a pretty cool character at the same time. Ganondorf is limited to playing how this game is intended. Sink or swim. Ganon revolves around waiting and punishing. He doesn't have anything else at his disposal, really.

Player-3

Smash Hero
LOL you guys don't understand the power of falcons utilt

on wifi it's like unpunishable

so i spam it like crazy

and did you guys see that last stock

that was SEXY 0-DEATH ****

BigLord

Smash Lord
NNID
BiigLord
3DS FC
3024-7470-9499
Sorry for double posting but... I was reading this thread and read the posts above... what's your opinion on the Dash attack? The move itself and its usefulness, I mean. I use it all the time, maybe I shouldn't?
Nobody answered this question of mine back in page 156, heh.

Anonymous Brawler

Smash Journeyman
I use it for punishing, not approaching. If they don't airdodge after getting hit you have an uair. But you probably is a WAY better Falcon than me, so don't need to care about this answer.

teluoborg

Smash Otter
Premium
NNID
teloutre
Many characters who SH aerial have to wait before inputting the aerial (like Peach with her SH Fairs).
Use dash attack to get through that kind of stuff.

That or raptor boost.

Player-3

Smash Hero
it works but you don't get a giant slide, about hyphen smash length

the only people with super bdacus's are falco and diddy

BigLord

Smash Lord
NNID
BiigLord
3DS FC
3024-7470-9499
Yeah, Falcon's hyphen smash makes no sense in a physical sense :p

And yes, you're right about the dash attack. Approaching with it is a bad idea... when the opponent shields.

But it comes out so fast that yeah, it's a good move for punishing.

Another question: what's the best custom control option for Falcon? I use the default GCN scheme and turn tap jump off, for easy Uairs.

lordhelmet

Smash Master
Yeah, Falcon's hyphen smash makes no sense in a physical sense :p

And yes, you're right about the dash attack. Approaching with it is a bad idea... when the opponent shields.

But it comes out so fast that yeah, it's a good move for punishing.

Another question: what's the best custom control option for Falcon? I use the default GCN scheme and turn tap jump off, for easy Uairs.
This.

Some people like to set X to grab and use L for shield. Ask Darky about his control setup.

BigLord

Smash Lord
NNID
BiigLord
3DS FC
3024-7470-9499
What about R? Heh, I'm too used to grabbing with Z and defending with R. For some reason, my left pointer finger is best left unused.

lordhelmet

Smash Master
any new players/ats?
Not that you care, TRAITOR.

Just messing, nothing really new, Ally beat SilverDoc with Falcon in grand finals if you didn't know. Falcon has like two new infinites (as well as other characters) on Diddy and he can bdacus.

Just look at the Compendium for any good new threads that have been made,

Darky-Sama

Smash Lord
NNID
Darky-Sama
Recommended

-Gamecube Controller
-Tap Jump Off

Handled: Claw Style.

[Left Hand]
Thumb: Control Stick.
Index Finger: L Button.

[Right Hand]

Thumb: Should move between A, B, Y, and the C-Stick fluently.
Index Finger: Should be curled over top of the A and Y Button periodically.
Middle Finger: R Button.

This allows you to use aerials with the C-Stick for better timing. It's also good for buffering attacks and DACs. The reason I picked up using the claw style was because I use Sheik as one of my primary mains, and it's the easiest way to make her DACUS without changing your control settings.

Normally, you would have to set Z (or another button) to 'Attack', because Sheik's DACUS is so strict and fast that you can't use the 'Grab' button for it to register fast enough. So you've got to press the 'A Button' instead for it to register. If you can use the Claw Style properly. You can press the 'A Button' and down on the C-Stick at the same exact time.

BigLord

Smash Lord
NNID
BiigLord
3DS FC
3024-7470-9499
Claw style? Hmm... I'll think about it, but switching to a play style from another play style will hurt my gameplay, obviously. I'll try it out against CPUs.

Darky-Sama

Smash Lord
NNID
Darky-Sama
That's how most professionals play too, including M2K.

It made the side of my finger sore the first few weeks of using it, but it's worth it, definantly. I alternate back and forth with playing normally, and with the claw style in the middle of a match.

Kisses

Smash Cadet
That's how most professionals play too, including M2K.

It made the side of my finger sore the first few weeks of using it, but it's worth it, definantly. I alternate back and forth with playing normally, and with the claw style in the middle of a match.
do you see any disadvantages in playing with claw?

Top Bottom