• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The British Thread : UK Circuit idea on most recent post !!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

grayfox

Smash Champion
The rankings are innacurate to the max anyways. For a start going to tourneys alone will put you ahead of players who are better than you that can't make it and secondly a placing in a tourney which doesn't have as solid compotition is worth just as much as placing in a tourney with solid compotition.

Cpt.Zeppo

Smash Lord
Power panels are bull**** and pointless,the rankings were started so that players would get more competitive about where they stand and strive to get higher,and I think it has worked in that respect.The rankings arent "inaccurate to the max",Charles should be 1st but hes been to all tournaments and ****ed them all up for himself by getting 2nd seed in pools and losing to Ogre at TNJ.Other than that,I dont see whats inaccurate,other than Euan being 6th,but if hes better than Phil Kone etc. then thats going to show over the next couple of tournies isnt it?

But yeah,I was pretty fortunate getting 3rd at Edmas.

Besides, our community is ****ed up with bias as it is,theres no way we'd get a panel together that can honestly put players in their deserved positions.

grayfox

Smash Champion
Yeah power panels are a bad idea. I just think the rankings are too. Well the concept of having a ranking system is cool, it should just be more fair and overcome said problems in my post. Craig being last just because hes only been to 1 tourney when theres plenty of people above him who i beleive to be worse than him, including myself, is a ranking flaw.

Cpt.Zeppo

Smash Lord
Hmm yeah you're right,Craig is obviously way too low,and yourself,Dan,Scott and Frost could all be alot higher.All the same though,I suppose that is to be expected with our ever-growing new community.I dont think there will be much consistency for a few tournies,and this makes me think Kones idea of a Ladder-League is good.

EDIT:I dont like the idea of deducting points though.

Kone

Smash Master
Ryan has good points, but they are points in general against any form of ranking system. Theres always going to be tournaments where not all the best turnout which has an impact. However, we've had four tournaments so far and id only really say TNJ produced unhealthy results for the ranking system. In the end of the day if you look at the top 5/6 the system seems pretty accurate. Even zeppos query regarding euan is answered , as euan would be higher up if he had placed top three in a tournament.

My only problem with the current system is that what happens if player 'x' has placed consistantly top 7 for the first 5 tournaments. Then for the next 5 tournaments they are placing 13th. They'll still be in the top 10 . What im saying is that points should depreciate after time.

Regarding people not turning up . . . . thats there fault. Part of the need in this ranking system is to help motivate people to travel. Heck, nobody likes to go down to yeovil =p. If geeks good enough he'll make it into his rightful slot aswell.

If somebody can make the bracket up from TNJ and from AR. As in, who played who and beat whom etc i hsould be bale to put it into an online laddler league. Be nice to see what that would say our rankings would be : ) . As that takes into accoutn who has beat who, rather than point sbased on how far oyu got in the bracket. Still wont be accurate but be a bice altrenative to our current system.

Ed x

COEY

Smash Lord
My vote goes to AR2 and since it's me hosting your thoughts, feelings and ideas don't matter.

Case closed.
That's abit harsh man, was just trying to help :[

Also, my bad about the end of season thing, after reading everyones opinion it probably would be a good idea to sort the rankings first so the better players get the praise they deserve. Good to see a healthy convo in this thread though, it needed it lol.

Mr P

Smash Ace
Ed can you give me any advice regarding recruiting new players ? I dont know exactly how you did it down south but it has worked for you. I have been trying mercilessly here for a long time using different methods like making threads on different messageboards and doing searches on google but for everything i have tried in recruiting new players up here nothing has come to. The only new Scottish players have turned up have been the ones that have found the boards themselves, i didnt actually find Zeppo or either of the new guys it seems that anyone i try and acquire personally is a waste of time, got any advice ?

If you dont wanna post you can get me on msn mafia_mr_p@hotmail.co.uk

J03

Smash Master
=/ crazy shiz, ppl not turning up is there own fault, i dont see the point in point depreciation if the points are reset at the end of the season. everyone knows the rankings are ****ed up so why dont you guys just come to an agreement about next year because this one is almost over and the quicker it is the quicker we can all move onto a new accurate (decidced by you guys) points/ranking system

it wso has to be AR W/E xD

BloodBowler

Smash Ace
C0EY: I didn't mean to be harsh, for that I apologise.

Ry@n: Good points.

Zeppo: Too true, far too much bias.

Kone: If someone keeps placing 13th at tournaments, they'll get their deserved rank. If their skill is lacking for whatever reason, it's not up to them to keep placing low as to drop off the list, it's up to everyone else to score higher than them so they drop on the list. Placing 13th will bring their score down to show that they are above most, but much less then the top players.

Kone

Smash Master
No Joe your wrong. You haven't even read thoroughly the previous arguments before posting. We are discussing the downside of the season idea, mainly that we can't have a proper second season due to the likely release of Brawl end of this year, start of '08. The date doesn't matter, what does matter is that it would hastly end a second season.

Thus, we are trying to find a solution. Ending this current season and starting a fresh with a new ranking system decided by ourselves isn't needed. Whatever ranking system is adopted can be used to amend the current points. If we aren't ending the season then there is no need to lose the points some of us have already amassed. The need in people's points depreciating will only come into effect if they can't maintain consistancy. If one can't frequently make the bracket then they don't deserve to have a position that their results don't warrant.

eg for when point depreciation will come into play :

* player takes a hiatus from the community
*player places poorly over three or more tournaments ie does not make it out of pools / goes 2-0 in brackets.
* player makes it into bracket at a tournament but then does not do again.

Forces people to maintain or improve their game. Im not saying just because a player had a bad tournament they should lose half their points.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Plus, this system helps yourslef joe ;)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Okay, I need some info :

ANARCHY RULES
-----------------

Ill start here first. Can the following players tell me who they lost to:

2: Jam5 winning £111
3. Kone winning £37
4. Zeppo
5. Reacher
5. Charles
7. Euan
7. SOS
9. Lord Rust
9. Grayfox
9. BigMan
9. Ogre
13. Darvor
13. L4DY
13. BloodBowler
13. AC Anon

Myself : Jam5 and CptZ

Kone

Smash Master
No Joe your wrong. You haven't even read thoroughly the previous arguments before posting. We are discussing the downside of the season idea, mainly that we can't have a proper second season due to the likely release of Brawl end of this year, start of '08. The date doesn't matter, what does matter is that it would hastly end a second season.

Thus, we are trying to find a solution. Ending this current season and starting a fresh with a new ranking system decided by ourselves isn't needed. Whatever ranking system is adopted can be used to amend the current points. If we aren't ending the season then there is no need to lose the points some of us have already amassed. The need in people's points depreciating will only come into effect if they can't maintain consistancy. If one can't frequently make the bracket then they don't deserve to have a position that their results don't warrant.

eg for when point depreciation will come into play :

* player takes a hiatus from the community
*player places poorly over three or more tournaments ie does not make it out of pools / goes 2-0 in brackets.
* player makes it into bracket at a tournament but then does not do again.

Forces people to maintain or improve their game. Im not saying just because a player had a bad tournament they should lose half their points.

Plus, this system helps yourslef joe ;)

Okay, I need some info :

ANARCHY RULES
-----------------

Ill start here first. Can the following players tell me who they lost to:

2: Jam5 winning £111
3. Kone winning £37
4. Zeppo
5. Reacher
5. Charles
7. Euan
7. SOS
9. Lord Rust
9. Grayfox
9. BigMan
9. Ogre
13. Darvor
13. L4DY
13. BloodBowler
13. AC Anon

Myself : Jam5 and CptZ

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Euan : I went through the same processes as yourself. Went through profiles getting contact details and basically hounding people. Ill chat to you on msn. Maybe hit up glasgow and edinbrugh universities? maybe if we can find some interest in either city, be it uni or a local independant game shop then try ost a small tourney there? d be happy to drive up and help.

captain smashie01

Smash Journeyman
yeah i was trying to get one of my mates who thought he was good (like we all did) into proper smash and i was like 'look at all this cool new stuff you can do' and beat him pretty bad...
now he refuses to ever play melee again XD

so yeah, dont do that :p

captain smashie01

Smash Journeyman
ps. on rankings, are we gonna count ros4 towards this? i know its not an official britain one, but pretty much everone whos anyone's goin

pps. anyone whos not comin... do! book now!

grayfox

Smash Champion
I lost to Doug then Phil. Can't remember who i beat = S Remember playing Stevie though

For Edster i lost to Phil Then Paul, beat Monty.

Also, will this system be hindered by Dougs placings and who he beat?

SGT Stevie

Smash Journeyman
Rainhill - its small but everyone drinks.
There's not going to be a good solution to the rankings system as its apparent in professional sports which use complex calculations.

For example: Phil Taylor and Raymond van Barneveld are the best players in the PDC darts and they have Colin Lloyd as world no.1 because he enters more tournaments.

http://www.dartsmad.com/rankings/pdcworldrankings.shtml

This also happened not so long ago in golf when Vijay Singh became no.1 as he plays more tournaments than Tiger Woods.

Thats why both sports introduced the order of merit which is based on prize money which is quite fair as the bigger tournaments will obviously carry more prize money as they have more of the top players.

You could use this comparing the last 2 smash tournaments (Edster and TNJ). There should've been more prize money generated at Edster than at TNJ.

However, the official UK tournaments are equal and its peoples' own fault for not going so won't be fair on the people who go to all tournaments.

I think the easiest way to do it would just count the last 5 tournaments and keep updating:

Last tournament - 100% of the points
2nd to last tournament - 80% of the points
3rd to last tournament - 60% of the points
4th to last tournament - 40% of the points
5th to last tournament - 20% of the points

So TNJ would make it the 5th tournament. Then after AR2/AR64 the results at AR1 will be forgotten about, therefore this will eventually eliminate Doug's effect on the points.

SLVR

Smash Cadet
not a bad idea stevie lad.

whos going to keep re working points as they depreciate though? and keep records of every points score in the touneys?

ed? haha.

Mr P

Smash Ace
You could work out an average position of players at tournies, this would solve any problems regarding people not travelling to every event, but it does bring up other problems its still not going to be 100% accurate. since i placed 7th,5th then 4th my average would be 7+5+4 = 16/3 = 5.xxx. So my average placing would be 5. something whatever the **** i cant be bothered calculating it exactly... just an idea :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Cpt.Zeppo

Smash Lord
Smashie-No x 1000000

at AR I beat L4dy,Kone,then lost to Jam,then beat Phil,then lost to Kone.
at TNJ I beat OwnA,then Spam,then Alex,then lost to Jam,then lost to Doug.
at Edster I beat SOS,then lost to Charlie,then beat Ryan,then beat Craig,then beat Jam,then beat Euan,then beat Phil, then lost to Charles.
Ryan definitely beat Stevie at AR I remember that.

Phils run for AR:lost to Kone,beat Lady,beat Ryan,beat Euan,then lost to Zeppo.
Euans run for AR:lost to Jam,beat Darvor,beat Lord Rust,then lost to Reacher.
Alexs run for TNJ:beat Kman,lost to Zeppo,beat Lord Rust,beat Ogre,then lost to Doug.

They are just from memory but Im 100% sure they are correct.

Kone

Smash Master
Well ill keep a tabs on the records. With summer here theres more spare time. Ill start looking into introducing a fairer ranking system. Stevie's idea looks to be ace, so ill try figure something out along them lines. Will post details by next week and then we can debate of that ^_^

Yes, dougs presence is a major problem. Thats why stevies idea would be neat. It definetly inpacted hte likes of charles who played doug early in the bracket and two tournaments.

As i say, giv eme the weekend and ill come back with a plan : D

Kone

Smash Master
DOUBLE POST SORRY
-----------------------

Stevie's idea is ace imo. Im going to put up two new ranking tables. One based of stevies and another based on who beat who. The official one, if everyone agrees, will be stevies system. The other will give extra depth : )

For those that may think negatively to stevies suggestion look at it this way :

You could "view" every five tournaments as a "season". Thus when an entire tournaments results drop from the ranking system you wont feel hard done by. Also, five tournaments ago is more or less a year ago. If somebody falls heavily in the rankings as they performed really well at AR opposed to any recent tournaments then they are justified in losing their position. Five tournaments is easily a good enough representation of a players skill and general placings.

Love u stevie :)

J03

Smash Master
Ed: who could be bothered reading all that :), and i guess it will be better for meh ^_^

i 100% agree with stevie, itll mean i lil more working out at the end of every tourney but deffo worth it

3 cheers for tilley
HIPP HIPP HOORAY
HIPP HIPP HOORAY
HIPP HIPP HOOOOOORRRRAAAAAAYYYY!!!!!

captain smashie01

Smash Journeyman
oh, for the record

sct4: lost to everyone
edster: won some friendles, but then in the actuall tourney: lost to everyone o_0

maybe i should start playing halo XD

JOENOTJEFF

Smash Rookie
PM me your MSN and I'll probably contact you in the future for a Smash game.
My msn is: jwhite1988@hotmail.com

I didn't quite understand what you said about the summer holidays, did you say you were going to come up? Sounds cool, if so we could organise something.

Regards to the ranking system, Stevie's idea is best imo. Someone's done his homework :)
If you use the system :

( Last tournament - 100% of the points
2nd to last tournament - 80% of the points
3rd to last tournament - 60% of the points
4th to last tournament - 40% of the points
5th to last tournament - 20% of the points )

Do you get points based on the rankings or is the place that you come the point you receive. So say if you are placed 1st out of 20 players you would be given 20 points. This would be good in bigger tournaments as obviously you would receive more points.

You could do a simple formula in Excel or something where you have the sum of the points gained in each tournament times by the weighting system, then divide it all by 5 to give an average ranking.

Ranking = ( (X1 * 1 ) + (X2 * 80/100) + (X3 * 60/100) + (X4 * 40/100) + (X5 * 20/100) ) / 5

Where X1 is the points gained in the last tournament .... X5 is points gained in the 5th to last tournament

Kone

Smash Master
Joe its all sorted, we've had a ranking system for a while based upon where you finish in hte bracket. ie first gets 16 points and 13th gets one point (13th being if you make it out of pools but go 0-2 in brackets). We then apply stevies system to the ranking points. Voila!

JOENOTJEFF

Smash Rookie
Cool, yeah i saw the rankings thread and realised im abit late. Ah well, although it seems that the rankings accumulative rather than an average. But i suppose it doesnt makes any difference anyway. Probably better that way because people have higher scores :)

How are you anyway Ed, i been havent playing much smash in the past months mainly cos of coursework and exams, and i even though i really want to go to TNJ2 that date is right in the middle of my exams so i dont think its possible with revision and whatnot.

monty06

Smash Ace
i need some ideas here im in the middle of trying to get new smashers into the community by making a bebo band. i noticed theres alot of smash vids on there who people have on there but aint in the community. does any have any ideas the best way to go about it

grayfox

Smash Champion
Nah Allan couldn't have been me. I only won 1 match at AR. I remember you losing to Charles and someone else lol.

Also, i like this new ranking idea. Glad it's getting revamped

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom