• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The BlazBlue Thread. V-13 hates you! Edit: Now with gamertags! <3 See first post.

GA Peach

Smash Lord
wtf is a spacing character?
you're supposed to space with every character on every game (even ones that aren't fighting games?)

it sounds like you mean a character that has a lot of safe distance options...but then you semi-exclude arakune from the list, when he is the king of safe distance fighting?

and saying that rachel and v-13's playstyles are "the same" is basically opportunistic disingenuousness

in some ways rachel is a pixe. i'm not a beast at the game or anything but honestly when I see a rachel who is playing a "run away the whole time" game, i assume that player doesn't know what he's doing.

also, what's a "rush down character"...that's a made up term lol.

a pixie IS a rush-down character (and MK can be a pixie or camp the **** out of you whatever way you want to play)...its not really right to use typically 2-d fighting terms like "pixie" when referring to smash bros. because smash bros. is not balanced lol
terms like "pixie" and "grappler" referred to specifically balanced character types that don't exist in smash brothers, which is basically a bunch of characters with random attributes...
in 2-d games slow, heavy characters are usually strong grapplers, but since the throw game in smash is relatively shallow, usually slow heavy characters are usually terrible. unless they are made broken by giving them ******** recovery and projectiles and chain grabs etc. (snake/ddd)...
and fast characters on smash are just random, esp. in brawl. some have combos, some dont, some have recovery options, some dont

so basically your post is weird d00d
...i don't generally agree with Janitor on anything fighting games. but, i do agree with this, except for the part about rush-down character being a made up term. also, in all my years of playing games, i've NEVER heard the term pixie be used to describe anything except homosexual guys. i guess i'm out of the loop... :ohwell:

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
in brawl the only similarity falcon has with a typical pixie is the fact that he's fast. he has no combos, he's heavy, he can't really build damage very quickly. he's all like, "ha i tricked you into getting kneed lolol"

in melee, falcon is fast and has combo/damage potential, but he's too ****ing strong to be considered a pixie lol-

XIF

Smash Master
ZOMG Duluth, GA mostly... sometimes Weston, FL
Holy **** your stupid as ****.

I was added to the backroom for the huge MK vote, i have rarely posted in there after that. Besides that, adding into conversation about the game i play competitively doesnt mean i like it. Believe me if i wasnt winning i wouldnt play. And obviously they arent going to remove me as a top player from FL.

Anything else stupid to say? Goes for you as well XiF.

IN THE NAME OF SENSEI CHOPS
OK... so you sell your sell soul instead.

Soulless communist *******.

Afro is Anti-American.

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
...i don't generally agree with Janitor on anything fighting games. but, i do agree with this, except for the part about rush-down character being a made up term. also, in all my years of playing games, i've NEVER heard the term pixie be used to describe anything except homosexual guys. i guess i'm out of the loop... :ohwell:
yeah i changed my post about the rushdown thing I was mainly referring to in smashbros.

i dont know a whole lot about 2d fighters for real but I know they are virtually non-comparable to smashbros :-D

DC

Smash Cadet
Rachel spacing? I'll rush the **** out of you, enjoy blocking my mother****ing pumpkin.

BearsAreScary

Smash Journeyman
Apples are more delicious than oranges.
Do not try to argue with me about this, you will lose.

CRASHiC

Smash Hero
I meant Zoning. Spacing was the wrong word, but I tend to forget to use that when talking about 2d fighters.
Any character that does not have intense zoning options is instantly not viable in Blazblue. Arakune, Rachel, and V-13 all have it, and to a smaller extent Jin.
(and MK can be a pixie or camp the **** out of you whatever way you want to play)
Yet, Mew2King only camps ICs, and Mew2King is the top of the MK world.

terms like "pixie" and "grappler" referred to specifically balanced character types that don't exist in smash brothers, which is basically a bunch of characters with random attributes...
The design of the characters are not random at all, and many reflect the very basics of fighting game design.
DDD is through and through a grappler. His chain grab was intentional ( an otherwise useless waft of air keeps the opponent afloat allowing DDD to chain grab them), he has a huge grab range and a quick grab,as well as his immense Bthrow.
Jigglypuff was made to be a glass canon, until Brawl came around and they designed her to be more of a gimp based character, which also happened to Mario, as Smash seemed more determined to pull itself away from the typical fighting game types.

in 2-d games slow, heavy characters are usually strong grapplers, but since the throw game in smash is relatively shallow, usually slow heavy characters are usually terrible. unless they are made broken by giving them ******** recovery and projectiles and chain grabs etc. (snake/ddd)...
And in most fighting game, these same characters, are also hard to balance, mostly because of 0s to death on them or turtling, these same problems still exist in smash.
Even with an infinite throw loop, the grappler of Street Fighter 2 Turbo was one of the worst characters in the game.

DC

Smash Cadet
Either way....
Stop ****ing talking about Brawl in this thread

**** man we're on a ****ing Brawl forum and we're talking about Brawl in the ONE ****ing thread about BlazBlue. ****.

There's a million other places to argue about how **** that game is, don't do it here. Instead let's talk about how Hakumen is Rachel Alucard in disguise... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9i9ksblGbLk

Any character that does not have intense zoning options is instantly not viable in Blazblue. Arakune, Rachel, and V-13 all have it, and to a smaller extent Jin.
Kill yourself.

Tommy_G

Smash Champion
I don't think Smash was designed to be any of this. They just thought "Hey, this'll be cool" and threw it in. We, the gamers, developed these styles for the characters.

Since when was SMASH world forums only about Brawl? Good job completely disrespecting the Melee and 64 smash community.

And btw DC...Brawl brawl brawly brawl brawls metaknight brawl.

Smash 64

GA Peach

Smash Lord
A pixie is a charecter that doesn't have reliable approaches, or pokes, but can set up situations and alter momentum, as well as land heavy damage. They are generally moderately fast, and have some sort of movement option that aids them in this.
An example that everyone in here would know, Millia from Guilty Gear, her only exception being that she can not deal heavy damage.
Diddy Kong, using his bananas, can take complete control of the momentum, can glide toss, can land 54% combos, has a third jump allowing him to maneuver decently in the air, as well as latch onto his opponent. Thus, Diddy Kong fits the classification of a pixie character is a fighting game.
Also, spacing was the wrong word for snake, zoning.
ack, so much wrong with this post. 1st off, Millia hits like a truck. her combos take off SO much damage. she can generally kill average characters in 2, sometimes 3 combos. also, Millia has no real way to shift momentum. if she doesn't keep and maintain the momentum early, she generally ends up eating pen1s. also, Millia has a very reliable approach in her roll, which she can use as a reactionary approach or a mixup tool. along with 2 air dashes, fast foot speed, and multiple long pokes with decent priority, she can get in very quickly. also, i don't even PLAY brawl, and i know that diddy can set up one of the safest approaches in the game if he desires so. but, approaching in brawl is usually a bad thing, so why use them for offense when he can defend with them as well. bananas make this monkey one of the safest characters i've seen in a fighting game. period.

CRASHiC

Smash Hero
ack, so much wrong with this post. 1st off, Millia hits like a truck. her combos take off SO much damage. she can generally kill average characters in 2, sometimes 3 combos. also, Millia has no real way to shift momentum. if she doesn't keep and maintain the momentum early, she generally ends up eating pen1s. also, Millia has a very reliable approach in her roll, which she can use as a reactionary approach or a mixup tool. along with 2 air dashes, fast foot speed, and multiple long pokes with decent priority, she can get in very quickly. also, i don't even PLAY brawl, and i know that diddy can set up one of the safest approaches in the game if he desires so. but, approaching in brawl is usually a bad thing, so why use them for offense when he can defend with them as well. bananas make this monkey one of the safest characters i've seen in a fighting game. period.
A site made by top Millia players. They basically deny everything you say.
http://millia.hostwq.net/generalgameplay.htm
Millia can best be generalized as a pixie character. In fighting games, pixies are generally characters that are extremely fast, have hard to block mixups and/or can dish a lot of damage, have great movement options, but have poor defense. Millia fits all of these except for the being able to deal a lot of damage part.
Also, Millia can control Momentum, when she has it, when she looses it, there is her weakness. The same can be said for Diddy.

XIF

Smash Master

Laijin

Smash Hero
I thought Pixie characters were good at mix ups. Brawl has no mixups.
I'm 100% correct btw.
Get brawl out of this thread

Also. Brawl is not a real fighting game. So quit talking about it like it actually fits in the same category as Guilty Gear.

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
I meant Zoning. Spacing was the wrong word, but I tend to forget to use that when talking about 2d fighters.
Yet, Mew2King only camps ICs, and Mew2King is the top of the MK world.
m2k is kind of beyond the scope of the debate because he's just smarter than everyone and more knowledgeable about the game than everyone. MK's high level metagame has evolved in to people camping, for the most part. m2k does things that no one else can do honestly...but that just exemplifies my point, m2k can be played many ways, i dont think its true that he's purely a "rush down" character, and I either think that most if not all characters are rush down characters in smash bros or that the term shouldnt be used for this type of game

The design of the characters are not random at all, and many reflect the very basics of fighting game design.
to an extent I was exaggerating by saying they were 'random', there are some patterns of course, but there is a whole lot of random junk that don't make any sense in terms of balance.
DDD is through and through a grappler. His chain grab was intentional ( an otherwise useless waft of air keeps the opponent afloat allowing DDD to chain grab them), he has a huge grab range and a quick grab,as well as his immense Bthrow.
I concede that ddd's grab game is intentionally buff, and this would make sense for his character. But, added onto that are good projectiles, and an amazing air game, which make no sense for a "grappler" character.
also his chaingrab is NOT balanced, its overpowered and you would not find anything comparable intentionally programmed into any serious fighting game. (i highly doubt it was intentionally programmed though...its not a waft of air, its just a random attribute of the move that if you weigh more than a little bit the move doesn't cause you to fall combined with ddd's large grab range)
Jigglypuff was made to be a glass canon, until Brawl came around and they designed her to be more of a gimp based character, which also happened to Mario, as Smash seemed more determined to pull itself away from the typical fighting game types.
Your guess about Jiggs is as good as mine, she's almost the Dan of Smash Bros. now i.e a ****ty character that you only play for cool points. a "gimp" based character is an interesting new archetype, but they should have made it easier in Brawl for bad characters to gimp people if they were going to do that. but again, they weren't going for balance in smash.

And in most fighting game, these same characters, are also hard to balance, mostly because of 0s to death on them or turtling, these same problems still exist in smash.
Even with an infinite throw loop, the grappler of Street Fighter 2 Turbo was one of the worst characters in the game.
Big slow characters are almost always unviable in smashbros, DDD is a huge exception, granted (snake is arguable, but i kind of don't really consider him "slow" if played correctly...which against adds to my point about smash being "unbalanced" lol)
but for every T.Hawk or Hugo theres a Potemkin or Zangief

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
I thought Pixie characters were good at mix ups. Brawl has no mixups.
I'm 100% correct btw.

brawl doesn't have mixups because the blocking system in brawl is completely different
but it has lots of neat games of paper rock scissors that are similar to mixups that could have been emphasized to make a more balanced game,

but alas

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
one thing i'm wondering is that fact that grabs are so easy to tech out of on this game is that going to de emphasize grabbing in Blazblue, or was that the intention....or are you guys just really good at grabbing people when they least expect it

not to say I'm good at breaking grabs, my reflexes are bad, but i've played some guys that basically never let me throw them.

which makes tager sad

DC

Smash Cadet
More importantly... I FINALLY bought a stick lol. I don't own a 360 or BlazBlue (YET) but at least now I can go to ZP on weekends and practice... and also I can play some Melty Blood.

Now to make some EPIC Rachel + Noel stick art...

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
Stop grabbing people during blockstun.
i mean i try to grab at times where I think the opponent is going to block which is, like, what grabs are for (i thought).

i thought 6a tager buster was broken for the first couple days I played the game :-P

DC

Smash Cadet
i mean i try to grab at times where I think the opponent is going to block which is, like, what grabs are for (i thought).

i thought 6a tager buster was broken for the first couple days I played the game :-P
IIRC that's part of the reason Tager is low tier. That and the lack of dashes lol.

Same thing with Taokaka... at high level play grabbing is not as reliable, so the "grabby" type characters are less viable than others. Not saying that Tao relies on grabs as much as Tager, tho.

Gangsta_inc

Smash Ace
NNID
Combo_Knight
All three of the top tier characters are spacing characters, the closest you come to a non spacing character you get is Arakune, but he still got his Bees.

In Brawl, the top three seem to be Metaknight, Snake, Diddy Kong.
Metaknight is a rush down charecter.
Snake is a tank spacing charecter
Diddy Kong is a pixie.

Conclusion: Brawl has more diverse playstyle at top level play than Blazblue.
And I'm talkin about Brawl, not even Melee, where the viable charecters are drastically different, except Falco and Fox.
I will agree with that but Blazblue only has 12 characters?

but come next year characters moves will be changed, and new characters will arrive.

Edit: Tager made me sad when I teched out of his demon drop distortion.

CRASHiC

Smash Hero
Oh, so its confirmed next years Euro release will get a release in America, and that it comes with nerfs and buffs? I just hope the fix the throw ****.

XIF

Smash Master
I will agree with that but Blazblue only has 12 characters?

but come next year characters moves will be changed, and new characters will arrive.

Edit: Tager made me sad when I teched out of his demon drop distortion.
I would completely disagree. Dodging and defensive play is so good in Brawl, EVERY character can camp. Why commit myself when I can just dodge and be safe?

Crashic, you just have the most backwards *** mindset about fighting games out of everyone i've ever talked to. The conclusions you come to (even assuming your initial assumptions about the game and characters are true, which they are not) have no logical premise in your argument. You're basically spouting off a bunch of (incorrect) facts, and coming to whatever conclusion you **** well want to.

The metagame for Brawl is defined by it's top tiers, whereas in blazblue that is hardly the case, because you have to worry about so many more characters (people seem to forget that Jin is still like at that same level as the other top tiers, with minuscule short comings in comparison).

I could go further and explain the other faults in your line of reasoning, but they all pretty much stem from your complete lack of knowledge on other fighting games, and in this case, blazblue. Therefore, there is no need to even go further. Revise your statements please :bigthumbu

DC

Smash Cadet
Crashic if I didn't like your avatars so much I'd hate you lol.

jk

CRASHiC

Smash Hero
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Koyaanisqatsi

No relevance to the discussion.

also.

WTF.
Oh, haha, its not just a movie, its an actual word.
n. 1. crazy life. 2. life in turmoil. 3. life disintegrating. 4. life out of balance.

EDIT- GAPeach proved me wrong about a lot of things, though I'm still of the opinion that in Blazblue isn't patched, eventually the metagame would evolve to where the top tiers would gain a wider gap. Though I still disagree about a few quarils, like physics not being equitable to characters being able to abuse a fighting game system, since the main system of smash is in truth the physics engine. But none so big I want to argue over the internet about them hahaha

Top Bottom