• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The BlazBlue Thread: all the imports!

Spelt

BRoomer
BRoomer
Currently trying to get my stick dual modded so I can continue to play BB. I might even import it if I can get it done soon enough.

Also, on that note, about what would I be looking to pay to import a non-LE copy of CP?

Spelt

BRoomer
BRoomer
Oh cool, thanks!

That's nowhere near as bad as I thought it would be too, actually.

LivewiresXe

Smash Hero
So you know though, apparently the "Free Shipping" option expires sometime tomorrow. Whether it's October 11th, as in 12:00AM tonight, or October 11th as in 11:59PM tomorrow night, I'm not sure.

The Fail Tracer

The Universal Cosmic Tracer
3DS FC
2337-5641-4371
I watched the first episode of Alter Memory yesterday. I'm going to be straight-up honest with all of you: I love it already.

I literally don't see the big problem, and I'm not just saying that to not conform. The artwork is extremely nice, the fight scenes, though admittedly short, were quite awesome. There's humor, and there's good remixes from the games' OST.

People are saying the plot pacing is terrible, but it's just the first episode. Everything should add up later.

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247
I'm not sure what to think about Alter Memory when literally everything I've read about it outside this thread has been negative. I think I'll go watch it now and form my own opinion.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
Negative for me. It met my expectations though since I set it low.

Drawings aren't that good. They were sneaky about it so some people think the animation was good. Noel was the only one that looked consistently good lol (we know who to thank for that). Anime format could've made things flow better. Should've done the foreshadowing and loops like 2 certain anime people should know with time loops. Since there's no narration involved, they needed to add more to the dialogue and add more scenes. Copy and pasting the dialogue from the VN without narration (in a VN that didn't flow well to begin with) is a bad idea.

Direction was corny too with certain scenes. Stuff like the music just felt awkward too on how it was inserted. It was more like "hey, this is for you BB players, so listen to the 5 second song of this character" instead of making an anime with a proper adaptation.

Rutger

Smash Master
3DS FC
1676-3683-2689
Sucks for the BB anime, same season as Kill la Kill, no chance of it being anything but the inferior action anime.

Btw, I haven't seen the first episode of BB yet, so I have no idea how good it actually is.

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247
It's...... not horrible, but again, I kinda went in with low expectations after seeing some opinions. In particular, this was the opinion of one of our locals, which I typed a quick response to:

" It seems to require an intimate prerequisite knowledge of the story. They just ****ing throw you in the deep end. No character introductions, no plot, zero character development... you need to have encyclopedic knowledge of Blazblue to get anything from this, and even then it's all old ****."

This is all accurate, yet I don't know if I'd be so quick to call it ****. They definitely needed to give a LOT more context to the characters and plot, since it's basically just a cluster**** of half-related stuff otherwise. (Like randomly dropping Seithr in there, not explaining a damn THING to do with the Black Beast or how the cities are situated) So much is left out.

The problem is, what balance would work for "context vs. action" for a first episode? You could easily fill the whole episode just with background information necessary to understand what the **** is going on. And to be fair, if memory serves, CT's intro didn't exactly give you a lick of context either.

The animation quality of the characters seemed fine to me, but the fight scene with Jin is pretty balls.

I'm gonna at least give it a few episodes, but it is INDEED a bit of a rocky start.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
First episode should've set the tone by how the games did, with what happened with Saya, Jin, and Ragna as the first scene.
" It seems to require an intimate prerequisite knowledge of the story. They just ****ing throw you in the deep end. No character introductions, no plot, zero character development... you need to have encyclopedic knowledge of Blazblue to get anything from this, and even then it's all old ****."

This is all accurate, yet I don't know if I'd be so quick to call it ****. They definitely needed to give a LOT more context to the characters and plot, since it's basically just a cluster**** of half-related stuff otherwise. (Like randomly dropping Seithr in there, not explaining a damn THING to do with the Black Beast or how the cities are situated) So much is left out.

The problem is, what balance would work for "context vs. action" for a first episode? You could easily fill the whole episode just with background information necessary to understand what the **** is going on. And to be fair, if memory serves, CT's intro didn't exactly give you a lick of context either.

The animation quality of the characters seemed fine to me, but the fight scene with Jin is pretty balls.

I'm gonna at least give it a few episodes, but it is INDEED a bit of a rocky start.
With all the terminology and locations, they should've introduced them through dialogue/monologues, or through the halfway point in episodes to educate viewers.

In the anime's defense, I'm pretty sure the first game didn't even explain what Seithr was and name dropped it until BBCS.

CT's intro was much better since it foreshadowed things in a better way.

I'm a bit disappointed only because the storyboard in my head conflicted hard with this first episode.

Sarix

Smash Ace
I'm was also on the low expectations boat. Having an anime of the first game come out 5 years later just screamed to me that it was never something intended.

The animation uses quite a bit of cheating an untrained eye/average viewer will not notice. I'm with Minato on how awkward the remixed character themes were just shoe-horned in to say "BB players will love this!" The dialogue was fairly weak and as Raziek said, you needed to have already played the games to have any clue what's going on, otherwise it was just stuff happening with no central focus.

I feel like they should of handled this by devoting an episode per character so we get an idea of their character and motivations rather than see them be thrown in situations and give trope bordering cliche reactions. If the direction had done more with showing how Rachel is observing the time loops while displaying Ragna reliving certain events over and over again it could've been a more fluid and cohesive option to help newcomers understand the world of BB.

Maybe ArcSys is just more interested in making games than shows which is why we got a really rocky and rushed pilot, idk.

EDIT: Just so the first episode doesn't derail what we mostly thought was a good idea. We should give out our Skypes to make that group.

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247
I'm with Minato on how awkward the remixed character themes were just shoe-horned in to say "BB players will love this!"
To be fair, I loved the **** out of this when I watched the Super Robot Taisen anime adaptations. (Divine Wars & The Inspectors)

Edit: Oh right, Skype. jordan_mcgee

LivewiresXe

Smash Hero
The anime seemed fine to me. And really, Tao was absolutely adorable in it. I do agree that the Jin Ice Sword thing was a bit off, but for what I was expecting it to be, I liked it.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
My Skype's Minato_EP

Just beware I'm rarely ever on. Been focusing on school so I try not to use too much time chatting online.
I'll mostly be on for those sessions or if people have questions. But other than that, I might just be studying while logged on.

Sarix

Smash Ace
I'll make the group then, feel free to PM me or just post your skype name.

I'm usually doing homework while online but I don't have to use much energy to chat.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
Oh right, I forgot how Skype worked and how I'll need to only join the group instead of adding everyone individually. lol

Oh well, Raziek added.

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
kyokoropamuyo
And thanks to everyone in this thread for snapping some sense on me, now I feel like I was musically manipulated.

Chronodiver Lokii

Chaotic Stupid
BRoomer
Hoping the BB anime seriously pulls a ga rei zero and suddenly materializes a coherent direction to the plot

Unless they are directly 100% to the T following CT

Then so help us.....
For newbies will never understand the plot and we will be forced to remember the torment of understanding the first plot through all of the time loopies n such

Idk
Even if its not good
I'm still super excited
It's gotten me in the mood to crank out fan art for a convention this month which is awesome

LivewiresXe

Smash Hero
I think this could be cool if it was a regular thing, though the sheer hilarity of me discussing for like 2-5 matches, then running downstairs to play mine, makes me laugh a little. Gotta make a mental note to get to addin' tonight or something.

Spelt

BRoomer
BRoomer
Yeah skype chats do have some potential. I literally never use it though so you'd have to give me a heads up before starting it. I think my username on there is Spellol.

Spelt

BRoomer
BRoomer
So in order for me to buy Kokonoe whenever she comes out I would have to make a japanese account and somehow get a hold of a japanese psn card, correct?

LivewiresXe

Smash Hero
So apparently for 300 yen, they're making it so you can play as CT-CSX Noel in CP as alternate outfits if you want or something.

And I know the people on Dustloop complain about Alter Memory, but I actually enjoy it even though they went through CT in 3 episodes. Pretty much every scene in it with Tao is hilarious though.

LivewiresXe

Smash Hero
So, I just figured I'd link these here (post is probably gonna be a bit long because of these):

As well, combo videos for:

Kagura:
Terumi:
Kokonoe:

Top Bottom