• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The BlazBlue Thread: all the imports!

LivewiresXe

Smash Hero
Man, you even have SEASONAL periods!

I seem to run on the CBS Reality TV schedule. Wait...then that means it should be Wednesdays, Fridays (because what the hell, even if nothing's on), and Sundays, and that during the summer it should be Sundays, Wednesdays, and Thursdays!! :bee:

Minato

穏やかじゃない
At least with Ragna, combo-wise I notice how you like to go for the Inferno Divider finish off a basic midscreen combo instead of ending on Hell's Fang for corner push. I know you're doing it for oki, but wouldn't it be better to leave Inferno Dividers for ending corner combos or countering someone off the C-ID? Or is it for the sake of being easier to capitalize online with ending midscreen with ID?

I wish I knew what else to say asides for that one little Ragna bit, and that may just be a preference for you that works. For Hazama vs. Ragna, I'd just 6A after you came in with ouroboros sometimes. So I guess....watch out for that?
Yeah, I do it for oki along with other reasons (setting up guard breaks). I usually do Hell Fang for corner push if I'm a little past halfway on the screen. I feel like while when I'm midscreen and I do a Hell Fang, it just resets all momentum since they can run back out. That's what I usually see in videos.

As for the Hazama thing, yeah, I really do have that problem. Although I only remembered to do this once on Spelt, and that was to throw whiff and to stop my momentum and do a CH 3C. I really should work on my Drive. My movement with Hazama is so predictable. :ohwell:
Aside from execution and combo choice?

You should probably attempt more overheads at the beginning of george rather than the end I guess? Still not blocking dat overhead reset from Makoto \o/.

I suppose you should stop doing 3C (the swirly spike on the ground thing) so much. I dunno if you're misinputting or not the follow up, but I usually punished you off that. You could probably work on your midscreen pressure since you let me escape far too often. There's never any mixup without george out.

It's sorta hard to critique someone who beats everyone here on a consistent basis.
Well, combo choice too. But cool, this is also what I needed to hear. I'll take all that into consideration. 3C is an awful awful habit I have. 3C, however, is not punishable on regular block. I'm just not linking my followup so I get CHed. But yeah, I really shouldn't be doing 3C on block anyways. lol

And I could not block or tech stuff today at all like I usually do. :mad088:
My footsies have been off with Platinum and Ragna too lately.

Anyways, thanks guys. That helps.

Kuraudo

4Aerith
NNID
Kuraudo
Hmm... You know? You bring up a good point, Minato. And in a way it may have been unfair of me to think of criticizing it before trying it. Because now that I think about it? It's true. Although against some characters I guess it depends. Like Hazama, Hakumen, Valkenhayn, you can just Hell's Fang and chase them down because they can't exactly run. lol

But I'm gonna give it a try. Different strokes for different blokes but it sounds like a legit thought. Maybe worth doing if they have one primer left actually...

Rutger

Smash Master
3DS FC
1676-3683-2689
Well, combo choice too. But cool, this is also what I needed to hear. I'll take all that into consideration. 3C is an awful awful habit I have. 3C, however, is not punishable on regular block. I'm just not linking my followup so I get CHed. But yeah, I really shouldn't be doing 3C on block anyways. lol
What would you follow up with?

Assuming that I'm thinking of the right attack, I always tried to punish that with Tao's 2B and I just want to make sure if it's something I would low profile or not.

Or would I be stuck in blockstun the whole time?

Ahh, I really know nothing about Rachel, it must be one of my worst matchups. :urg:

Minato

穏やかじゃない
Hmm... You know? You bring up a good point, Minato. And in a way it may have been unfair of me to think of criticizing it before trying it. Because now that I think about it? It's true. Although against some characters I guess it depends. Like Hazama, Hakumen, Valkenhayn, you can just Hell's Fang and chase them down because they can't exactly run. lol

But I'm gonna give it a try. Different strokes for different blokes but it sounds like a legit thought. Maybe worth doing if they have one primer left actually...
Haha, yeah, Hell Fang is great on slower characters. Character's like Mu, Lambda, and Platinum I'm too scared to take that chance lol.
What would you follow up with?

Assuming that I'm thinking of the right attack, I always tried to punish that with Tao's 2B and I just want to make sure if it's something I would low profile or not.

Or would I be stuck in blockstun the whole time?

Ahh, I really know nothing about Rachel, it must be one of my worst matchups. :urg:
It leaves me with 0 frame advantage. Rachel's normals are slow though so it's still a bad thing for me to do. Maybe I should just cancel into lobelia if I accidentally do 3C. :ohwell:
And you're handling the matchup well with Tao, imo. Rachel vs Tao, imo was close to even in CT just because of the BS she had. Ever since then, Tao can just rush her down since Rachel has to commit to an attack.

Also, I notice that some Tao's like doing a purple throw towards the end of their combos. Is that to maintain pressure after a throw break since Tao's combo doesn't generally lead to a knockdown?

Rutger

Smash Master
3DS FC
1676-3683-2689
It leaves me with 0 frame advantage. Rachel's normals are slow though so it's still a bad thing for me to do. Maybe I should just cancel into lobelia if I accidentally do 3C. :ohwell:
And you're handling the matchup well with Tao, imo. Rachel vs Tao, imo was close to even in CT just because of the BS she had. Ever since then, Tao can just rush her down since Rachel has to commit to an attack.

Also, I notice that some Tao's like doing a purple throw towards the end of their combos. Is that to maintain pressure after a throw break since Tao's combo doesn't generally lead to a knockdown?
I can't help but think that Tao's 2B would hit you out of lobelia, but I have nothing to go off of for that, I would need to test in in training mode.
I still just don't really feel like I know what I should be doing against Rachel at times, especially with Valk.

I don't really use the purple throws, but yeah that sounds about right. The purple throw would add some nice damage if it manages to land and lead to a knockdown, if teched then it leaves Tao in a nice spot to apply some pressure in the air or whatever the Tao might want.

Of course I'm really only going off of videos for this so I could be wrong, but ending a combo with a purple throw looks to be favorable in every way for Tao.
I should try to use it.

Lythium

underachiever
BRoomer
Man, I always miss the epic online battles. :<

Maybe next time though. I played some CS2 Noel in the tournament.

CS2 Noel is really ****ing dumb. But I rolled with it.

Lythium

underachiever
BRoomer
Haha, yeah, that's true.

I really feel like my game has gotten stale though, so I'm gonna have to hit the dojo and do some leveling up. :3c

Crusayer

Smash Lord
Tsujikawa used that purple throw ender a LOT iirc. It keeps them from airdashing out and resets air momentum.

Spelt

BRoomer
BRoomer
It keeps them in the corner, which you can't do with any of her regular combos. Which really annoys me. :( A big reason why I could never main her.

Rutger

Smash Master
3DS FC
1676-3683-2689
I love that SotC music.

I don't know if I'll play any of those characters in EX, but I'm thinking of just messing around a little bit with everyone to try and help out my execution. :/

Jdietz43

BRoomer
BRoomer
Actually, I want some suggestions on how I can improve. I know the choices are make a really poor at tons of parts. I want to know what people are noticing and abusing the most when they face me. Even if I might already know I'm bad at a certain area, I kinda want to know which are the biggest problems that I should fix asap.
Mostly the 3C thing which has been said, but also your overhead has never once connected. I've never seen you actually do the 4B first in a block-string on me iirc...

Spelt

BRoomer
BRoomer
3c isn't that bad on block. If you think the opponent is going to try to mash out after the first 3 hits then you can hold it and hit them with the extended attack, and then combo with wind. Rachel's jabs aren't that bad, they have average speed.

Canceling it into lobelia leaves you in a worse position since it's -4, and since you'll have winded towards them just before it usually won't leave you with enough space to come out unpunishable.

If they instant block the 3c though, then you're at a clear disadvantage. If you're feeling threatened you can try to backdash out of there.

It's not something you'd want to use all of the time, but it's okay if used occasionally.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
I do 4B sometimes, but it's so easy to block on reaction, even online (28 frames of start up). I'll do it depending on the opponent. Most everyone I played got blown up by blocking a frog and getting hit by 2B so I'm obviously not going to change until I trained them to block low. I'll only 4B those who have a tendency to crouch block. And I've done 4B to start a blockstring. Unfortunately I get Throw Countered because I can't time it right online :(

TBH, my style during a frog oki is to sit back and see if my opponent is just guessing. They usually like guessing overhead so I just sit back and wait. Plus it's to bait bursts and CAs. So I basically I go for a high or low depending on if they're standing or not.

But I guess I'll try more 4Bs since you and Crusayer suggested it. I've been trying more instant overheads since I'd rather try new things and practice her double overhead which I need to get down.

Edit: Thanks, Spelt. That clears up a lot for me.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
I remember when George could hop and had a ton of HP. :(

Anyone want to play a tiny bit today? Whatever console doesn't matter with me.

Spelt

BRoomer
BRoomer
You're welcome. :bee:

I can't play today though, need to get homework done. :(

Also I want old george back. ;_;
New george sucks.
He's not even scary unless you have pumpkin out.

Jdietz43

BRoomer
BRoomer
Yeah, 4B is hard to connect with properly, it's a bit like Platinum 6B. I was just reminding you you can throw it out first since if you never do the blockstring becomes easy, block jabs low > block 4B > punish if possible. But mostly I just don't have much to say.

One of those "you have to choose the 'bad' option first every once in awhile" deals.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
Yeah, 4B is hard to connect with properly, it's a bit like Platinum 6B. I was just reminding you you can throw it out first since if you never do the blockstring becomes easy, block jabs low > block 4B > punish if possible. But mostly I just don't have much to say.

One of those "you have to choose the 'bad' option first every once in awhile" deals.
I appreciate the suggestion and I'm gonna try it out more. I used to do it a ton back in CS1 since jA didn't hit high in that game, haha.

Rutger

Smash Master
3DS FC
1676-3683-2689
Oh, guess there was something practical.

There might be more, I didn't really catch everything in that eleven minute combo video.

Spelt

BRoomer
BRoomer
It's not really that practical, but I love combos that use airdashes, so I'm going to learn it even if I never get to use it in a real match. :079:

Rutger

Smash Master
3DS FC
1676-3683-2689
It's not really that practical, but I love combos that use airdashes, so I'm going to learn it even if I never get to use it in a real match. :079:
Yeah, practical might not have been the best word.

I don't really know a thing about playing Lambda so maybe there's a better combo off of that starter, but it's at least more practical than the gold burst combos.

Lythium

underachiever
BRoomer
Yeah, practical might not have been the best word.

I don't really know a thing about playing Lambda so maybe there's a better combo off of that starter, but it's at least more practical than the gold burst combos.
That Lambda combo is really cool, but with the exception of the midcombo airdash, that's regular sort of Lambda stuff.

Pfft, HP or not, Missile > Frog. :bee:
Depends on which missile we're talking about.

Rutger

Smash Master
3DS FC
1676-3683-2689
That Lambda combo is really cool, but with the exception of the midcombo airdash, that's regular sort of Lambda stuff
Oh, Okay.

Now that I think about it, I never tried to learn Tsubaki's airdash combos, I was so excited for those. :(
I don't even know if they are in EX or if I will play her. :urg:
Pfft, HP or not, Missile > Frog. :bee:
50 meter to kill a frog?

Lythium

underachiever
BRoomer
Oh, Okay.

Now that I think about it, I never tried to learn Tsubaki's airdash combos, I was so excited for those. :(
I don't even know if they are in EX or if I will play her. :urg:
Yeah, they're still in Extend. I spent a bit of time learning new Tsubaki stuff, but I don't think I'll play her in Extend.

I don't even know who I want to sub in Extend actually. I guess I'll have to think about it. Maybe a rushdown char.

Crusayer

Smash Lord
No! Don't join the Ragna bandwagon. There's a ragna in like EVERY jp vid ever now. We don't want more /o\.

Lythium

underachiever
BRoomer
Haha, Ragna is definitely not my thing. He's derpy as hell, and I don't like playing derpy characters. Also, there's probably going to be at least three Ragna players in Halifax in Extend. And I've played Noel for so long now, I kinda want to give someone else a try.

Rachel is worth looking into, but I still find her pretty awkward.

Top Bottom