• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The BlazBlue Thread: all the imports!

LivewiresXe

Smash Hero
It could be me but I feel like I've seen less Noels in Extend. The only people I've ever seen use them are Team R-Triggers and Takahashi(? I don't know if that's the guy's name).

Jdietz43

BRoomer
BRoomer
Have we ever had a shortage of Ragnas?

Legit question.
Nope never. Not once.

Though it makes me wonder who are the really underplayed characters.
Rachel, Tsubaki, Plat. I would have said Tager before but I feel like I've seen him show up more now, so I don't know. Jin? Litchi? Makoto?
I think it's mostly Arakune, Litchi in any game that isn't CS, Rachel in any game that's not CT, Tsubaki at a higher level, and to a certain extent Tao (she's been on the rise as an actual main lately) who see less play time than others. Platinum I don't know about since I main her.

There has never been a shortage of Jins in the entire history of BB, same with Tager especially on netplay. Mu has her own share of players and Makoto has the most representation of the DLC's by far.

Spelt

BRoomer
BRoomer
There are very few Jins in japan.

The only time there was a good amount was cs2.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
The most underepresented characters I see (or rather, don't see) are Valk, Makoto, Tsubaki, Rachel, and Arakune.
Although I am seeing a bit more Rachels here and there compared to the others. Everyone else I see a fair share of.

Crusayer

Smash Lord
Makoto has the most DLC rep because she was released first lol.

She was solid in CS1 and S tier in CS2 for them tier bandwagoners in the US (which attracts more people to buy the DLC for "easy wins"). In Japan, even though she was S tier, she wasn't represented that much. Definitely not as dominant as Ragna's presence atm. And the heavy nerfs just further reduced the population.

For some reason to me, BB seems to be not that diverse despite having a really balanced roster :I.

Spelt

BRoomer
BRoomer
Tiers and how easy they are to play are the most important factors in the popularity of characters, which is why there are so many Ragnas. In a game filled with characters who have hitboxes that take up 3/4 of the screen playing someone with limited range like Makoto can be a little off putting, which is one of the reasons why imo she wasn't as popular in CS2 as Ragna is now.

But I think if we were left with one version of the game for longer than a year we'd end up seeing a more diverse turnout. I suspect people who went to Ragna for Extend will become bored of him after awhile and start playing more interesting characters. Not saying that Ragna is especially boring or anything though, just an example. :p

Minato

穏やかじゃない
She was solid in CS1 and S tier in CS2 for them tier bandwagoners in the US (which attracts more people to buy the DLC for "easy wins"). In Japan, even though she was S tier, she wasn't represented that much. Definitely not as dominant as Ragna's presence atm. And the heavy nerfs just further reduced the population.
Haha, while I can't say much for the US BB community (since all I watch are top 8 who are pretty much character loyalists), usually I see Japan sticking to a tier list more so than US players would. Everyone in the US seems to try and avoid picking top tier compared to Japan unless it's a game like Marvel or 3rd Strike.

LivewiresXe

Smash Hero
Tiers and how easy they are to play are the most important factors in the popularity of characters, which is why there are so many Ragnas. In a game filled with characters who have hitboxes that take up 3/4 of the screen playing someone with limited range like Makoto can be a little off putting, which is one of the reasons why imo she wasn't as popular in CS2 as Ragna is now.

But I think if we were left with one version of the game for longer than a year we'd end up seeing a more diverse turnout. I suspect people who went to Ragna for Extend will become bored of him after awhile and start playing more interesting characters. Not saying that Ragna is especially boring or anything though, just an example. :p

Yeah, I know what you mean. I suspect "Blazblue Continuum Shift Extend Turbo Edition" jokes abound considering there's a new SFIV every 6-8 months.

Lythium

underachiever
BRoomer
It could be me but I feel like I've seen less Noels in Extend. The only people I've ever seen use them are Team R-Triggers and Takahashi(? I don't know if that's the guy's name).
No, there are always lots of Japanese Noel players. There are just never a lot of notable ones. R-1, Takahashi, and Highbridge were all the same person. Then there's R-2, Yuu, GUCCI, Kouya, etc. Haha, there's quite a few, really.

Have we ever had a shortage of Ragnas?

Legit question.
/nope.avi

There are very few Jins in japan.

The only time there was a good amount was cs2.
Yeah, Jin players keep dropping off. Buppa plays Hazama now, Konan plays Tsubaki, Dennou plays Bang, etc. I think the only Jin left is Ren. And BAB, but he sucks. >:I

I think it's mostly Arakune, Litchi in any game that isn't CS, Rachel in any game that's not CT, Tsubaki at a higher level, and to a certain extent Tao (she's been on the rise as an actual main lately) who see less play time than others. Platinum I don't know about since I main her.

There has never been a shortage of Jins in the entire history of BB, same with Tager especially on netplay. Mu has her own share of players and Makoto has the most representation of the DLC's by far.
Nah, there's always been a handful of good Litchi players since CS1. People figured out how to play her because she was so good, and then people realized that they liked Litchi and stuck with her. So, there's always been a good supply of them. And Tao started off small, but she's got quite a good number of players now.

Haha, true, but now there's a shortage of good Jin players, and that kinda sucks.

Mu... is tricky. It seems like she has good representation, but she really doesn't. The problem is that most of the Mu players have one or two alts, so it's the same people showing up over and over again. H.H. is also Ogarabu, Keba is also Sakuma, etc.

The most underepresented characters I see (or rather, don't see) are Valk, Makoto, Tsubaki, Rachel, and Arakune.
Valk is misleading, apparently. LK and Xie both went to Japan recently, and they both said that Valk is the most played character, by far. We probably just don't see the vids of him.

There's also a problem with certain characters having similar overlap in their playstyles that prevents that character from being played. For example, there is no reason to play Tsubaki in Extend, unless you really love Tsubaki. Ragna can do everything that Tsubaki can do, and he can do it better. With the exception of her pressure game, Ragna outclasses Tsubaki in every way, and she's also reliant on charge for her damage.

Similarly, with Makoto in CS2. She was the rushdown character that did everything better than all the other rushdown characters. So, if you were playing to win, odds were, you were playing Makoto. Or Noel because she's easier to pick up. :p

Lythium

underachiever
BRoomer
Uh, no. Haha, I don't think so.

Also, some words about Ragna, from one of the Ragna mods on DL:

KayEff said:
ragna becomes makoto lite. everyone else becomes ****tier.

when you get someone who has easy combos and does a **** ton of damage it's hard to turn down

everyone's gonna have that pocket ragna

Lythium

underachiever
BRoomer

Spelt

BRoomer
BRoomer
Yeah, Jin players keep dropping off. Buppa plays Hazama now, Konan plays Tsubaki, Dennou plays Bang, etc. I think the only Jin left is Ren. And BAB, but he sucks. >:I
Yeah.
I can't even really name one Jin that I like anymore. :(

There's also a problem with certain characters having similar overlap in their playstyles that prevents that character from being played. For example, there is no reason to play Tsubaki in Extend, unless you really love Tsubaki. Ragna can do everything that Tsubaki can do, and he can do it better. With the exception of her pressure game, Ragna outclasses Tsubaki in every way, and she's also reliant on charge for her damage.

Similarly, with Makoto in CS2. She was the rushdown character that did everything better than all the other rushdown characters. So, if you were playing to win, odds were, you were playing Makoto. Or Noel because she's easier to pick up. :p
Yeah I feel like Noel had just a little more rep in CS2 than Makoto because she's more straightforward.

I don't really get why so many people in Japan jump to top tiers though. Do they even play for money? I don't they don't for smash, but it might be different for arcade games. If there was no money on the line it would just make sense to play who you have the most fun with.

More like, "or are you just happy to DP?"

Aha. :embarrass:
Oh my, that is the best pun I've heard in awhile. :079:

Minato

穏やかじゃない
I don't really get why so many people in Japan jump to top tiers though. Do they even play for money? I don't they don't for smash, but it might be different for arcade games. If there was no money on the line it would just make sense to play who you have the most fun with.
They don't play for money either for arcade fighters, but I guess money is on the line in a way since you'd rather not get kicked off your station after losing.Aside from being unique or being character loyalists, they're just picking characters that will let them play at their absolute best is my guess.

Spelt

BRoomer
BRoomer
Yeah, that makes sense. If I was paying per game I'd probably want to win as much as possible too.

LivewiresXe

Smash Hero
So...I just got trolled by Canada Post today when I received a package from Amazon.ca that was just a bit bigger than the Calamity Trigger Limited Edition, and weighed around the same amount. I get all "all right!!" about it, annd...when I open it at home, I get reminded that because CSX doesn't ship until tomorrow, it's actually the 2 books I ordered my brother for him that he was trying to get...:urg:

Curse you, Johnny Thunders!! Foiled again!!

Rutger

Smash Master
3DS FC
1676-3683-2689
Well, happens I guess. I would say that it really isn't that far off now, but you will have to wait for shipping.

I hope you don't have to wait too long, I can imagine how it will feel if we start playing a lot of games before you get it.

Crusayer

Smash Lord
So i have 2 midterms this week and won't be able to play until Friday anyway /o\

It'll be sitting infront of me, taunting...

:phone:

Jdietz43

BRoomer
BRoomer
Whoah wait, you guys were just talking about Japanese pro representation? Then I have no idea who is and isn't represented, that's a world I don't even try to follow for the most part. I was just talking who actual people I see tend to use or don't use. The "real player statistics" from who's actually in the community that I tend to fight.

And yeah, Litchi got a shot in the arm after CS, but I've been indoctrinated since I was alone in a sea of other characters during CT and got used to the idea that Litchi is still a bit rare.

EDIT: I may join you Kuraudo

Lythium

underachiever
BRoomer
Well, if we're talking about who plays who in your local area, then I've got a buttload of Hakumen and Tager players. :I

Though there's also a couple Lambdas, Hazamas, and Jins, as well.

LivewiresXe

Smash Hero
Well, happens I guess. I would say that it really isn't that far off now, but you will have to wait for shipping.

I hope you don't have to wait too long, I can imagine how it will feel if we start playing a lot of games before you get it.

Well, if it helps, the Amazon.ca main office is in Missisauga, which...is a 5 hour drive from my house. So well, that would probably explain why I got KOFXIII 2 days after it came out. Wait...if it's 5 hours away, shouldn't I have gotten it ONE day after?

LivewiresXe

Smash Hero
This is Canada Post we're talking about, Livewire. Don't get your hopes up.
LMAO, so true. I remember that strike screwing everything up.

You know, I've always wondered...if you live 2 blocks from the Amazon.ca office, could you just walk over and pick up your order there?

Kuraudo

4Aerith
NNID
Kuraudo
I'll be back within the hour. Anybody who wants to play some CS2 with me before the new game arrives is welcome. ShatteredSound on XBox Live. Just hit me up.

Top Bottom