• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The BlazBlue Thread: all the imports!

Crusayer

Smash Lord
SOMEONE TEACH ME HOW TO TECH THROWS.

I'm so bad ;-;.

That and barrier canceling.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
SOMEONE TEACH ME HOW TO TECH THROWS.

I'm so bad ;-;.

That and barrier canceling.
I'm actually pretty good at teching throws offline in BB. Back in CT days, I abused OS barrier teching but that doesn't really work now, so I actually practiced in CS just to make sure I didn't get thrown.

I mentioned this earlier in the thread, but record a dummy doing throws at different intervals and just practice teching them. It helps you tech when you know a throw is going to come sometime soon. Afterwards, just play against Carl on the highest difficulty for a few matches to get used to teching when you least suspect it.

And barrier cancelling isn't that hard...

Crusayer

Smash Lord
As in when to barrier when approaching a lambda / mu. Distanced pressure sucks. ]:

What's the throw OS for BB? I always thought pros throw break on reaction /o\.

GGs. I almost beat that lambda one match ]:

Minato

穏やかじゃない
How do you predict a throw, exactly? Do you look for throw resets?
You look at their earlier habits on when your opponent throws. Sometimes they'll do the same setup after several games and they don't realize it. Same goes for predicting overheads online too.

I usually have a good idea when some people are going to throw. But then I see "Throw Counter" on the screen and then I'm all :(

Edit: OS Barrier teching back in CT is blocking and pressing A+B+C when you think they're going to throw. You'll either tech or barrier block. I'm pretty sure CS and on added throw counters so you couldn't do that. But honestly, teching isn't too difficult offline.

LivewiresXe

Smash Hero
As in when to barrier when approaching a lambda / mu. Distanced pressure sucks. ]:

GGs. I almost beat that lambda one match ]:
Yeah, GGs. He always gives me trouble too. But, I suspect being awake until 3:40AM almost every day and getting up at 9:45 with the occasional in between stirring probably doesn't help me, lol.

Lythium

underachiever
BRoomer

If you're ever messing around in training mode, use Lambda or Mu as a dummy, and set them to mash 5C, 2C or something similar that has a lot of range. Then try to approach. Also, keep in mind that you don't even necessarily need to barrier when approaching Lambda/Mu, because it's going to push you back a little bit every time.

And yeah, it's pretty much impossible to break a green throw on reaction. You only have 13 frames to tech it, and while that seems like a lot, it's not really. Basically, what Thino and Minato said, green throws can only be broken on prediction. Purple throws, on the other hand...

Edit: OS Barrier teching back in CT is blocking and pressing A+B+C when you think they're going to throw. You'll either tech or barrier block. I'm pretty sure CS and on added throw counters so you couldn't do that. But honestly, teching isn't too difficult offline.
They definitely took that out, haha. Though it's pretty funny when I'm playing with a friend of mine. He uses pad, and maps his buttons to A+B+C to barrier and rapid, so whenever I see him using barrier, I'll just throw him. Throw reject misses all day. :3c

Minato

穏やかじゃない
And yeah, it's pretty much impossible to break a green throw on reaction. You only have 13 frames to tech it, and while that seems like a lot, it's not really. Basically, what Thino and Minato said, green throws can only be broken on prediction. Purple throws, on the other hand...
Just to clarify, we're talking about online, right? Because I think teching green throws offline based on seeing it doesn't require just prediction.

Crusayer

Smash Lord
13 frames of tech time is reaction-able. 0.216s (?) That seems almost like standard reaction time iirc from that reaction thread on the melee boards. I can't really believe all those jp pros up there can read throws that consistently o_o. Because if those were reads every time they break a green throw, I'd also see a lot of throw breaks in melty (7 frames of tech time, 0.116s). Melty even has a throw OS while BB doesn't apparently.

Iuno, it seems surreal that someone can predict green throws a majority of the time in a game like that rather than on reaction.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
13 frames of tech time is reaction-able. 0.216s (?) That seems almost like standard reaction time iirc from that reaction thread on the melee boards. I can't really believe all those jp pros up there can read throws that consistently o_o. Because if those were reads every time they break a green throw, I'd also see a lot of throw breaks in melty (7 frames of tech time, 0.116s). Melty even has a throw OS while BB doesn't apparently.

Iuno, it seems surreal that someone can predict green throws a majority of the time in a game like that rather than on reaction.
Reaction relies heavily on anticipation though. And seeing giant exclamation points kinda make throws a little too weak in BB because of that, imo.

But yeah... I guess it's a little for both prediction and reaction.

Lythium

underachiever
BRoomer
Well, there's not actually any way to prove or disprove it. It's just one of those things.

However, unless you are noticing the start-up, odds are, you are anticipating, because 13 frames is below the threshold of what people can be expected to react to reliably. The 20 frames of start-up plus break is reactable, but let's face it - some overheads are 20 frames too, and they hit people all the time. So, if you've got any reliability teching throws, you're probably anticipating. Unless you block all overheads every time too, in which case, maybe you're just crazy fast.

Suffice it to say, most people don't tech green throws on reaction because they can't. Maybe Japanese players are special. :)

LivewiresXe

Smash Hero
Well, there's not actually any way to prove or disprove it. It's just one of those things.

However, unless you are noticing the start-up, odds are, you are anticipating, because 13 frames is below the threshold of what people can be expected to react to reliably. The 20 frames of start-up plus break is reactable, but let's face it - some overheads are 20 frames too, and they hit people all the time. So, if you've got any reliability teching throws, you're probably anticipating. Unless you block all overheads every time too, in which case, maybe you're just crazy fast.

Suffice it to say, most people don't tech green throws on reaction because they can't. Maybe Japanese players are special. :)

Well, we could always hire a translator, kidnap Fio, Kaqn, and some other Japanese players and interrogate them at laser-point James Bond style to see if they tell us, lol. :bee:

Minato

穏やかじゃない
Overheads I still have difficulties in BB just because of not recognizing overhead animations.

I guess anticipation on throws from other games helped my reactions for BB. And the exclamation points was just icing on the cake.
I just feel like throws could be coming once they're within throw range, so I just get ready for it.

I do have pretty good reaction/anticipation in fighters though, imo...

Crusayer

Smash Lord
The anticipation comes from seeing it over and over and over. M2K apparently doesn't have that good of a reaction time (he claims he has like 0.24s-ish). But since he's seen something so many times, there's a built in reflex to the point people say he's robotic. It may not be solely reaction but hey, I guess that's why even the top players in BB still get thrown once in a while (even purple throws lolol).

Rutger

Smash Master
3DS FC
1676-3683-2689
I feel like I've seen Japanese CSEX Tao's use purple throws a lot more than I'd ever expect, like maybe once a match or so. It's funny seeing Tao go for an air purple throw and the opponent breaks it, only for Tao to dash in and try to purple throw two more times.

They're useing green throws a lot more too, just part of her game now I guess.

Spelt

BRoomer
BRoomer
I feel like I've seen Japanese CSEX Tao's use purple throws a lot more than I'd ever expect, like maybe once a match or so. It's funny seeing Tao go for an air purple throw and the opponent breaks it, only for Tao to dash in and try to purple throw two more times.
They did that in CS2 a lot though too. It gives her oki type shenanigans, and it doesn't even risk giving up a corner knockdown.

Moblin

Smash Apprentice
Taos don't purple grab because they think it'll work. They do it to reset the opponent in the air so they can pressure more.

Rutger

Smash Master
3DS FC
1676-3683-2689
I never said they thought it would work. :054:

Throws look more useful for Tao now that her midscreen damage is nerfed though.

GigaBowserXyZ

Smash Journeyman
Giga from the chat logs I saw on your Livestream page are you sure you weren't just taking online a little too close to heart? lol

:rosalina:
lol, it's not even online I get salty. I couldn't even have fun playing this dog s*** at Season's Beatings and yet, I had a blast playing Guilty Gear and Skullgirls even though I was a beginner and got the living s*** beat out of me.

Yep. Bye.

Top Bottom