• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The BlazBlue Thread: all the imports!

LivewiresXe

Smash Hero
What was I thinking when I wrote that first line?
"Lol yeah I'm joking, but I do think Hakumen is C tier. (I did put my Valk in A though, like you said.)"

And I'm not talking about Noel's like 2a spam and simple drive stuff. Most of her combos, especially the ones that use her drive though, are very limited and linear once you start them up. There's not much changing them up once you get started, and a good player can usually out-defend it all. (Like a good Tager, lol)

And that's my point Arture, a top level player should be able to predict/react very easily to characters, but the way Noel plays makes her exceptionally easy, and that's my point. But say for a character like Tao, you get them in the air and you can change your game accordingly.

Whoa whoa whoa whoa whoa.

Now, normally I wouldn't say much but...2 and a half years of maining says I should. A good Noel can take advantage of the many pokes she has within combos and in CS2 a lot of her Drive parts can be canceled into Optic Barrel or Muzzle Flitter, and there are a number of varying things with her that have been pointed out and explained. The reason she has difficulty with Tager is because most of her moves have projectile properties and a number of Tager moves and things can completely pass through/negate 'projectiles', hence making a lot of her non A/B moves things that you have to work into.

There are things people have to look out for while playing against Noel that are much more simple than "does this hit high or low?". Things like whether or not she'll Super Jump with j.D in a combo, whether the 2D part of a combo in the corner or such will pass over, which range of Optic Barrel will get thrown out as yo charge in, whether a 3C or 6B will come out, whether you need to prepare for a Haida Loop carry (which is quite possibly the hardest freaking thing I have EVER tried with any character in the game), and stuff like that. Hell, even her Astral is viable.

Yes she's used a lot, but she's used a lot partly because she's good and people will naturally hop on that bandwagon.

Sorry to rant but I get a bit uh...defensive when people get talking on stuff like that.

Crusayer

Smash Lord
People hardly ever really care that much about optic barrel zoning. It's just there but never really pose a real threat at the long distance. Now I have no idea what you're talking about whether or not we should be paying attention to the DIRECTION of which someone is getting comboed or which combo they choose to do. If noel is coming out from the corner, it's obvious she'll do a super jump j.D to cross up and put you back into the corner. Haida looping is there just for damage and even a lot of noels out there don't do it due to inconsistency. I don't need to worry about how you combo. I just need to know what's at the end and how I can prevent the next combo starter. If you wanna talk about how diverse a combo can be, just look at jin instead. Way way more different combos than noel ever uses.

3C vs 6B can hardly be called a "which way". 3C is a typical poke that's unsafe and will end your string. 6B is just like a regular overhead. Hardly ever used in stagger strings.

Drive strings are never that safe against higher level players. Everything is negative on block so what you have left is try to end your string early, safely, and get out. It's her normal staggers that people might have trouble with.

Things I think people usually should be on the lookout for vs Noel is random optic barrels, 2D crouch cross up. 6A CH anti-air. 6B overhead oki (not that reliable). Throws in general (especially that air throw since it leads to massive damage). 4D upper body invincibility. Assault through doesn't work on higher level players (only serves only to crush a primer, lowest frame disadvantage and can possibly get you out of the corner).

The only reason she's even up there in the tier list is actually because of her randomness that leads to HUGE damage.

Makoto stood at S tier in CS2 and yet no one played as her (in japan anyway).

She's now dropped several tiers and even less people play her.

Forever alone ;-;

LivewiresXe

Smash Hero
Things I think people usually should be on the lookout for vs Noel is random optic barrels, 2D crouch cross up. 6A CH anti-air. 6B overhead oki (not that reliable). Throws in general (especially that air throw since it leads to massive damage). 4D upper body invincibility. Assault through doesn't work on higher level players (only serves only to crush a primer, lowest frame disadvantage and can possibly get you out of the corner).
Uh, you realize that kind of just agrees with what I said, right?

Crusayer

Smash Lord
What I'm saying is that she has tools that begin strings. She doesn't have tools to continue those pressuring, which makes her a linear type of character vs someone that knows how to block.

Vs characters like Tao, Litchi, Jin, Hazama, Rachel, you're actually afraid of their kind of strings because of how much pressure they put on you from spaced projectiles that make you not want to move to constant overhead / cross up pressure.

Iuno what I'm really talking about here anymore. `-`.

Scamp

Smash Master
BRoomer
Makoto stood at S tier in CS2 and yet no one played as her (in japan anyway).

She's now dropped several tiers and even less people play her.

Forever alone ;-;
Obviously I don't know the entire Japanese scene but I remember a lot of Makoto players in CS2.

Maybe not as many as Yun players in AE, but certainly more than enough to justify refuting the 'no one played as her' comment.

Lythium

underachiever
BRoomer
Crusayer, I pretty much agree with everything you've said, except your statement that no one in Japan played Makoto in CS2. Also, Noel doesn't need a CH 6A to start a combo. Just a regular 6A will suffice. ;)

A good Noel can take advantage of the many pokes she has within combos
"Pokes within combos"? It seems like you are confusing pressure/blockstrings with combos. You can start a combo with a poke or pressure with a poke, but you can't poke within a combo.

in CS2 a lot of her Drive parts can be canceled into Optic Barrel or Muzzle Flitter
This is not a new development. Noel has always been able to do this since CT. Optic Barrel makes Noel's pressure safe regardless of normals or drive, and Muzzle Flitter does unprorated combo damage and can be used as a yomi mixup tool. But these are not things that make Noel particularly good in CS2.

There are things people have to look out for while playing against Noel that are much more simple than "does this hit high or low?". Things like whether or not she'll Super Jump with j.D in a combo, whether the 2D part of a combo in the corner or such will pass over, which range of Optic Barrel will get thrown out as yo charge in, whether a 3C or 6B will come out, whether you need to prepare for a Haida Loop carry (which is quite possibly the hardest freaking thing I have EVER tried with any character in the game), and stuff like that. Hell, even her Astral is viable.
I think when people are playing against Noel, they have to keep in mind that they have to respect her. And I'm not particularly talking about her mixup either. I mean, her mixup itself is a mixed bag. It's very easy to react to and going for an overhead is a risk in and of itself, but she's gets big damage off of those random hits, and her risk/reward is extremely high. Her damage output off of taking risks is amazing, and that is what makes Noel so good in CS2. Off of good starters, you're looking at scoring 4k every time.

Things like 2D cross-ups, sj.D in combos, haida loop, etc. That stuff is what the Noel player needs to be thinking about. Not the opponent. Your opponent needs to respect these options, but they're not going to particularly care if you used a sj.D or a regular j.D in a combo.

And for people who are saying Noel is exceptionally easy: her combos are not particularly difficult. They do have some hard parts, the same as everyone else's. But let's not fool ourselves, this is BB, nothing is really, really difficult. Online, winning with Noel is laughably easy. Offline, harder than you might give it credit for. I'm not going to say she's not dumb, because she kind of is. And her meterless midscreen damage is almost as ridiculous as Makoto's. However, she has weaknesses that are easy to exploit, and there's this fabled technique called blocking that makes Noel easy to deal with.

That took longer to write than I thought it would.

Crusayer

Smash Lord
Iuno. I see WAY more noels, ragnas, lambdas, litchis and the sort than makoto.

She pops up like once a week or something while everyone else is there everyday lol. Maybe I'm not subscribed to enough channels...?

Lythium

underachiever
BRoomer
Maybe in Extend? Sure.

But in CS2, there were five Makoto players that qualified for SBO. And then the ones that didn't qualify, like Tsujikawa, Isa and Satoshi. Plus, the ones that I don't really know the names of. I dunno, I remember seeing more Makoto in CS2 than almost anyone else.

edit: But reflecting on it, there were also loads of Noel players, so you're quite right about that. :p

LivewiresXe

Smash Hero
Lyth, I understand what you're saying with that long and at parts don't disagree, but...well, this whole discussion thing since it was brought up has got me all touchy, defensive, and kind of irritated. It's not necessarily your fault, or even really Crusayer's, it's just one thing I can't stand is to have a bunch of things said by someone that kind of just comes out of the blue said that I don't agree with, only for well...things I say in defense of it to be picked apart by people who know what they're talking about. And uh...stuff. I guess I don't even know where I'm going with this or what I'm trying to say other than I suppose I'm not sure if this debate was even really necessary. Sorry... :c

Spelt

BRoomer
BRoomer
Yeah there was plenty of japanese makotos in cs2. At least as much as there were ragnas or hazamas.

Lythium

underachiever
BRoomer
Lyth, I understand what you're saying with that long and at parts don't disagree, but...well, this whole discussion thing since it was brought up has got me all touchy, defensive, and kind of irritated. It's not necessarily your fault, or even really Crusayer's, it's just one thing I can't stand is to have a bunch of things said by someone that kind of just comes out of the blue said that I don't agree with, only for well...things I say in defense of it to be picked apart by people who know what they're talking about. And uh...stuff. I guess I don't even know where I'm going with this or what I'm trying to say other than I suppose I'm not sure if this debate was even really necessary. Sorry... :c
Don't be sorry, dude. I'm not even mad or annoyed or anything. I'm totally with you on that. And I'm sorry if I came off sounding harsh, that wasn't my intent. I just wanted to give my opinion, and right some of the stuff that I believe was mistaken, that's all.

We still Noel bros? <3

LivewiresXe

Smash Hero
Don't be sorry, dude. I'm not even mad or annoyed or anything. I'm totally with you on that. And I'm sorry if I came off sounding harsh, that wasn't my intent. I just wanted to give my opinion, and right some of the stuff that I believe was mistaken, that's all.

We still Noel bros? <3

Don't worry, I didn't think you came off harsh.

And of course we're still Noel siblings. After all, who would know her better than people that've been using her all this time? :bee:

Spelt

BRoomer
BRoomer
I've never fought against a good Tao.
If I did I'd probably hate her.

Crusayer

Smash Lord
Krynxse (I'm sorry if I misspelled your name lol). When can we play :V.

I can play roughly tomorrow after 4pm (it is 12:53 pm as of me writing this post so you can figure out your timezone) and thereafter 5pm on other days.

PSN: Crusayer

dualseeker

Smash Ace
Pit: One of the greatest Heroes of our time
Hello! Just wanted to introduce myself here ^__^. I play BlazBlue pretty often and can't wait for Extend! I use Noel for a majority of my matches and sometimes use Rachel. If you want to play me, I'm on Xbox Live under the gamertag "dualseeker". I hope I'll be able to join in the discussion soon ^__^.

arturefo

Smash Journeyman
Hello! Just wanted to introduce myself here ^__^. I play BlazBlue pretty often and can't wait for Extend! I use Noel for a majority of my matches and sometimes use Rachel. If you want to play me, I'm on Xbox Live under the gamertag "dualseeker". I hope I'll be able to join in the discussion soon ^__^.
hi.i play on xbox too.ill add you so we can play sometime.

Lythium

underachiever
BRoomer
Hey, dualseeker!

I added your tag to the online compendium in the first post, and be sure to check it out if you're looking for some opponents on Live. :3

LivewiresXe

Smash Hero
Hey there, welcome. It's always good to see another member of the Vanguard. *thumbs up*

Moblin

Smash Apprentice
But Spelt doesn't main Rachel anymore so it would be hard to offend him by dissing Rachel. Maybe.

I've fought a good tao and I hate playing her. Her crossups are legit and her midscreen combos are the same as her corner combos unless she uses Almost Becoming Pretty ****ing Stupid.

Rutger

Smash Master
3DS FC
1676-3683-2689
I've fought a good tao and I hate playing her. Her crossups are legit and her midscreen combos are the same as her corner combos unless she uses Almost Becoming Pretty ****ing Stupid.
Crossups with Tao are kind of gimmicky imo. D~B is -5 so it can be punished. No crossup she has can really be abused anyways.

AB2 combos are some of my favorite in the game though, 4k+ in four seconds. :3

Top Bottom